Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game wont be as good as tales of berseria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

show me some good tumblr salt from this, there's gotta be an overflow already.
i think if people on tumblr were mad about this, i would very much agree with them and empathize with their pain and frustration, especially coming from a series that literally had a gay romance on the ps1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not to mention it's really lame for a game about how society is hosed up and adults are all crooked and trying to keep you down to not go there. like it jut makes that social commentary come across limpwristed and weak.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alder posted:

Eh, I can't say I'm surprised but still disappointed. Anyways for DLC costumes is it for the entire team or just 3 main guys? I bought the ToB stuff but they were outfits for everyone.

the dlc costumes for p5 are for the entire team, yeah. They just show the main 3 on the dlc page because, uh, spoilers I guess? Even though the others are on the cover.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FisheyStix posted:

Speaking as a gay dude myself, not every video game needs man smooches for the sake of man smooches. Even if there are ton of characters with maximum smooch capacity. Lookin' at you, artist guy with a noh mask.
i disagree, man smooches for the sake of man smooches are the most important thing on this earth, second only to lady smooches for the sake of lady smooches

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

supergayboy posted:

I've only played Persona 3 and while I enjoyed it, I felt a deep penetrating sense of shame the entire time. Will this game provide the same exquisite feeling? It's the only way I can feel alive.
why would you feel shame about playing a decent video game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

supergayboy posted:

Honestly it was all the senpais and such, thought it was terrific otherwise.
senpai is a word normal japanese person use

if it bothers you hearing yuri lowenthal say it, tho, just use jp audio so it sounds more natural

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there isn't a 1:1 english equivalent but you can just have them call the characters by name

senpai isn't such a meaningful word that removing it completely changes the character dynamics. It can have meaning, but its use in most of the persona games is just there because it's how japanese people talk, they don't put any specific emphasis on it or have a character go from calling an upperclassman by their name to calling them senpai when they earn their respect or whatever, like i've seen in some stuff. I guess maybe Kanji? But Kanji just defaults to calling everyone senpai when he realizes they're older, it isn't really made a big deal out of. You wouldn't lose any particular characterization beats by removing it. Honestly, the only reason it seems to be kept is so 80% of the cast has something to call the protagonist, since you can rename them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think localization should focus less on getting across every single minute detail of the original work and more about invoking the same ideas and themes, and stirring the same feelings in the audience.

not that im saying just make up whatever, most lines should at least get across the same general idea even on a line-by-line basis, but if there's a joke that's hard to translate, just come up with a new one.

there's a little bit with the guy who translated the first few metal gear solid games where he says "Basically, when a writer puts something down, it's not as if he's going line-by-line in a scientific matter, right? He's thinking about something higher than that, some thought or feeling he wants to communicate to the audience. The goal of the translator shouldn't be to directly translate the lines, but to reach for that same light.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

epenthesis posted:

They would have been useful in translations where adult characters randomly called each other "Big Brother" (I remember it happening in Suikoden 2 with a character you had literally just met) or got angry at being called some strange but not offensive variation of their name (like just about every Atelier game).
you could remove or heavily edit those exchanges, op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

So Morganna is actually male? Do cats not know how names work
this is actually a running gag where he has to keep explaining that he's male despite his name

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

Is the PS3 version okay? A friend pre-ordered that one because she doesn't have a PS4.

Does it run like poo poo or have any showstopping bugs or missing content or anything?
there's less faceless people wandering around the city which does make the city feel less alive, and the load times are like 2 seconds longer. those are the only differences.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

After viewing this last night I had a dream I had the Take Your Heart edition in my hands. That was too much for me to believe and I realized it and woke up almost crying. I probably won't even be able to get it when it comes out. I wanna kill myself. Also I smoked weed and got high in my dream when I never have irl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

morgana honestly just sounds like a normal anime character, nothing like teddie did in JP. His VA does Chopper in One Piece too, with a similar voice. She's also the voice of Pikachu in the pokemon anime, and since that role doesn't get dubbed over, you've all heard her voice before. Every last one of you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i will also be playing with jp audio, and i like dubs and think there are plenty of things where the dub is better than the jp audio. the dub for this seems pretty bleh (though maybe they've improved it with the delay,) while the jp VAing seems pretty good. I also don't like when US vas mispronounce names or honorifics or whatever, which the trailers had a lot of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Futaba sold me off the game for a while, especially when she's there the most by proximity

what did futaba ever do to you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I will use everyone because we will all be best anime buddies.

good news, you can swap people out mid battle like ffx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Stop asking for it, you're not getting it. It's a step forward they even let you date older women, let alone have adults mean anything in the cast. Even some people would debate if that were a step forward.
i think you could have a main character in his last year of high school and have some adult party members, but yeah, they're never taking the main character out of high school

Alder posted:

How about FeMC?

Also Catherine had working adults as the main cast.

catherine isn't a persona game. it was a low budget puzzle game made to test out an engine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

It's me. I'm the one who's not on board with secondary school students dating adults. It wasn't okay in Sailor Moon and it's not okay now.
to be fair mamoru's 17, he skipped a grade or two

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

usagi's also like in middle school so it's way weirder

also for some reason i thought mamoru was in college i have no idea why
he is!!!

he's just also 17. usagi's 14. it isn't *that* weird especially later on when she's 16 and he's 19.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

oh duh, I blanked when you said he skipped grades so i remembered him being like 19, which is Oofa Doofa

i need to fully watch sailor moon
sailor moon crystal season 3 is pretty decent if you want a quick injection of sailor moon. don't watch the first two seasons tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

i was honestly considering just watching the original tho that might be dumb. i remembering being so excited for crystal and then so bummed, glad season 3 is good tho
you should really peep season 3 for the animation if nothing else, it looks really nice since they brought on new staff

as for 90s sailor moon it's fun even to this day but you gotta be willing to skip an ep if it seems like filler and you aren't digging it. otherwise you'll just get bored.

is a huge part of the audience for the persona games and jrpgs in general not adults, tho, at least in north america and europe?

I just can't imagine actual teenagers giving a poo poo about this franchise
there are thousands of teenage girls who love this poo poo. it has cute boys and is about communicating with people. and it has good anime art. why wouldn't teenage girls love it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know people who played p4 when they were 12 years old and loved it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is it really that mechanically complicated? You smash personas together and hit enemies' weaknesses.

and dude, teenagers love jrpgs. like, adore them. if i was to associate one genre with teenagers, especially teenage girls, it would be the jrpg.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You can tell because Kiritos Sisters Tits are so huge and its mentioned about 200 times and there is incest that he was a salaryman once. Sucked the normalcy right out
the hosed up part is that kirito's sister also has abs but none of the adaptations keep that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I still say the worst arc of SAO is Mother's Rosario since its the only time I thought it was biting off more than it even had business trying to chew to begin with. Messing up silly death mmo games is one thing, introducing a brand new character only to have them die of literal, actual AIDS several episodes later is...incongruous, at best.
Honestly, I thought that was actually well-handled? I like that they specified a specific disease instead of just making it Anime Coughing, I like that they actually addressed how mistreated people with illnesses like that are, I like that it was pretty hopeful and sweet about the progress of science and medicine. I mean it's still SAO so it's not a masterpiece but it was a decent arc and done a lot better than a lot of 'character with terminal illness' type stories.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

japanese colleges are pretty easy street once you're in. the difficulty is passing the entrance exam, not keeping up with the material in the classes. combine that with the added freedom of being an adult and a lot of the game's time management structure would start getting hazy at the edges. not that it couldn't be done or anything, but high school provides a way more concrete structure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a persona game that's just shirobako

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think you guys all just want shadow hearts but with social links

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKbMW9lPwq4

Here's a comparison video with no spoilers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Bystander posted:

In English, they bring up Raidou with a series of some sorts. In Japanese, it's supposed to be a ref to a big-time fictional detective whose name escapes me at the moment.
Probably Kogoro Akechi. He's basically the japanese Sherlock Holmes - detective from a bunch of short stories from the 1920s-1960s, tons of movies and such based on the character.

That said, Raidou being referenced as a movie doesn't preclude him from being a real person in the setting, either. It could just be a movie based on a historical detective.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that's a picture of suikoden 3, is the point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

A lot of people pretended to say they played suikoden 2 just now

uh, is it that hard to believe people played a fairly popular game

and also a game starting slow or being long isn't a good or bad thing, it's just a thing.
eh. a game starting slow isn't a good or bad thing, but a game having an *uninteresting* start is a bad thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Socom-oto is actually closer to how an actual Japanese person would pronounce it. Watch Sakamoto Desu Ga on crunchy or something, you can kind of hear it. The problem is that the stress/intonation is totally off. Presumably some Japanese person told the VA the proper pronounciation then hosed off without couching her on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's closer than how I've heard it mispronounced in a lot of stuff, is what I meant.

Either way, trying too hard to get the 'correct' pronounciation usually leads to stuff like this. I think it's better to say it wrong and at least have it flow naturally then sound really weird like this. It isn't really the VA's fault, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Don't try to copy Japanese pronunciation when you have no idea how to speak Japanese and when you are speaking English for an English voice acting role.
Even if it's wrong in Japanese, the way it would slip out when she's just casually speaking is bound to be infinitely more pleasing to the ear than whatever the gently caress that was.

apparently the voice director told her to do it that way, and following the voice director's instructions is the va's job

still a fuckup but it's not her fault

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sooo.. Make a separate loving save after the looooooong boring intros for when you replay?

that means you can't keep stuff or access new game plus features

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

p5 is a game with flaws and weird bits because it's a video game made by humans, and it inherits a lot of the flaws that p3 and p4 had even if fixes a lot of longstanding issues

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah all I've seen are just vague statements of "it's a massive step down from P4!!" "None of the characters are as good as the P4 Cast!" "Why isn't this P4 2?", English complaints and just "the plot is a mess"
those people thought the game was worse than p4, because they are people who have opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tae hates futaba because she's a geek girl just like all 73 of the girls that have turned him down in his life