Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GoneRampant posted:

I'm gonna love and hate my first playthrough, since it'll likely be before the max social links run is anywhere near ready to go up on the internet, but this game has been on my most wanted list since 2014 and looks amazing.

There's already a max link guide on gamefaqs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He had a meltdown whenever FF15 was mentioned as well, he's very sensitive boy

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Everyone was sold on Futaba the instant they saw her, because they can relate to being a shut-in nerd like her

Futaba sold me off the game for a while, especially when she's there the most by proximity

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

What if it's recorded only in English by native English speakers, and there's no Japanese VO at all? People can't whinge about the dub if there was never a Japanese version to begin with, right?

"If everyone is a grey blob, you can't hate someone for the same, right?"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A lot of people pretended to say they played suikoden 2 just now

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

uh, is it that hard to believe people played a fairly popular game

Huh? I meant a lot of people didn't immediately recognize 3d model screenshot for very 2d sprite suikoden game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Square could've easily done it in-house and as much FF15 was fine for the most part, it would be far worse than what 8-4 did because they didn't have an established relationship with Yoko and the previous VA's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Laura Bailey still does anime games

I mean, wasn't Laura Bailey still up for doing Dancing All night but they were doing that stupid "CONCEAL THE FACT THAT THE JOB IS RISE"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Troy Baker is less needed because if someone wants the Troy Baker voice, they just hire Matt Mercer instead

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Can you just keep Morgan as the operator?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jesus, I just like Morgana better and that plays a factor if I'm doing battles for 60 hours

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I remember baal or one of other importers say she was disappointing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

All I remember was that first impressions of Makoto was "oh, she's not as fierce as her persona debut was." It was like half a year ago and a first take at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Xander was funny as Sergei in Zestiria, although that may have backfried because they went with a super silly tone in the game and he's a way more serious character in the anime

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

English Ignis is worth it because the payoff is Noctis making fun of his british drawl

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I've listened to an actual run through of english persona 5, and this is hot hot take as someone that's never really listened to the japanese outside of snippets:
-Joker sounds at times like Vergil from DMC which is weird.
-The NPCs are good
-The first villain is so slimy that I love it
-I really like Ryuji. He's got that attitude of being pissed off without going overboard except in real big moments
-Ann is fantastic. I would say a stronger performance than any of the previous Persona girls in consistency.
-Morgana is adorable but definitely not remotely annoying other than if you really just hate the concepts of animals talking.
-I keep mistaking Yusuke for Crispin Freeman sometimes.

The weird pronunciations of names is everywhere, though but I guess that's a trade-off if chan/sama/kun drove you nuts.

It's not a high bar, but way higher quality than Berseria and FF15 which had major problems of NPCs being far below par or using completely weird accents out of nowhere.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Would you rate it as better, worse, or about the same overall relative to the P4 english?

The Japanese voice work means nothing to me because gently caress, it's not like I have any meaningful way to tell if it's a good performance anyway.

I won't really say until all the main characters are together.

And I think I just saw my first -San, so they're not gone, they're just less common.

First sighting of Goro the detective. I like his style. Definitely a "charismatic" proclaimed guy.

edit: Makoto is...how do I explain this. It's the same feeling as Chie in OG P4 in that everyone has that anime-esque quality dub and suddenly here comes this person that sounds very different from everyone else.

Tae fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 29, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

That could mean almost anything.

Also you're killing me with your non-committal answers Tae. Killing me. :colbert:

I don't know how else to describe it. like in extreme terms, everyone is speaking shakespearan and Mokoto is the boston version. It's the only time I was knocked out of my immersion, not in a bad way, but in a "Whoah that's different" way.

I love Yusuke's performance so much, but Ann is really strong throughout. Morgana has a couple weird slip-ups where it's clear it's isolated takes that's kinda shoved in scenes, but the group scenes have been very smooth.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Describe it in terms of Nic Cage performances.

I don't know any Nic Cage movies other than memes and gifs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think I can point my finger at what's different about Makoto: She's very..."whispery" compared to everyone else. Her S sounds are a lot more pronounced and at times it's really hard to hear fully what she's saying until she speaks up more and is more confident/cocky.

I'm hoping that becomes less of an issue when she actually joins the party so she can be more of the latter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm interested in seeing what Haru and Futuba sound like, so far a pretty strong and consistent dub for me. I got used to Makoto when she's with the group and not being upstaged by Goro and her sister.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's a really weird thing because goro has the same style going but way better sound quality. Like it's not that extreme, but it's like she's the only one in final fantasy 12 audio quality at times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's literally just the first hour.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't remember Morgana doing any puns, he's a pretty straight forward character that gets annoyed when they keep feeding him beans.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

All I currently know about haru is that she has a giant forehead

Shogi girl was the first design that really stuck out to me once everyone was revealed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

p4 had a lot of social links where you felt like this adult lady really wanted to gently caress the mc
i didn't play enough of p3 to know if its also present there someone tell me

If that bothered you, p5 tripled the amount of adult lady relationships

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How long did it take for the previous games to open up a majority of the S links, because it seems kinda long for them to open up late june after getting Makoto.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I have to say I wasn't expecting to see a review of this game in the Guardian.

They review all games: http://opencritic.com/outlet/27/guardian

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I ended up liking yukiko more than chie by the end, because chie got more uninteresting the farther I got into her social link which was the opposite for most others. She peaked in the first arc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ann is still probably the strongest performance through almost july.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

But all the youtubers have capture cards?

And it's just plain better quality, which is needed if you actually want to start streaming beyond a hobby. "BUT THE PS4 FREEBIES" is just a lame, desperate grasp to blame.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

IIRC the composer of a lot of the major dragon quest songs is on the council of the jappanese RMAA which is why music is a goddamn nightmare to get overseas in games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is your lp just calling the dub poo poo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

What LP? The Japanese footage of the game where emalde and I talk about how cool the game is while playing through the first dungeon?

boy are my arms tired posted:

Baal and I are doing this and will have a thread up on April 4th.

Yes I'm running three lp threads, yes im literally insane

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Finally got to Futaba in a long scene, I was expecting her voice to be a lot higher. She's probably the deepest tone of the girls on the team so far.

Why is Hifumi a yugioh character

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can Shogi girl be my Waifu in this game?

90% of the female links are dateable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How is futaba pronounced because is it supposed to rhyme with alibaba

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I was wondering why Futaba sounded familiar, and it turns out she was in the other jrpgs I played the past 2 months. Busy girl.

I'm surprised at how she sounds, I expected a lot more erratic and higher pitch, but she's basically Magilou at 75% which is nice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, that's who they got for her? I haven't been paying attention but that sounds like a good choice.

I would say, as someone that's incredibly picky because of background in doing grunt dub audio scrubwork, the P5 cast has been absolutely fantastic.

The only, only person I hesitate on so far (After just getting Futaba) is Ichiko and I can't tell if Amanda Win Lee is supposed to be drunk or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So are date statuses a separate thing now? Got to the first rank 10, and there was no "DATE ME NOW, NOW? NOW" option after the persona upgraded.