Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm so goddamn excited for this game even with the constant delays teasing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

You can pet the cat and also go to the movies with the cat.

Watch videos with the cat.

Exercise with the cat.

Be humiliated by the cat

powerful

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MinibarMatchman posted:

im wondering how big the game is compared to P4G

quite large

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

i think you guys all just want shadow hearts but with social links

I mean...yes?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

It's me. I'm the rear end in a top hat who's part of the problem and getting the Persona 4 pack. You can all blame me for this terrible nickle and dime poo poo.

it's ok, I'm also a monster who's gonna get 3 and 4 almost instantly.

Moltrey posted:

holy poo poo I didn't even think about the Persona 1 DLC giving me Lone Prayer for every fight

GOTY

gently caress and 1

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Hm we pretty much nailed 'best girl' in 4 with Chie, how do we make 5 good?"

"Give her a motorcycle persona and a gun."

"Nailed it, Fred, nailed it."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is the review embargo lifting tomorrow (or I guess in 20 minutes?) seems like a couple places are doing their quick looks then

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moltrey posted:

Yeah I think it's tomorrow. Giant Bomb's got their Quick Look tomorrow and I know Polygon's review goes up tomorrow too

if it's not the East team I'm gonna be so drat sad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moltrey posted:

good Ai was so loving good

love a mean girl

im the dumbass where I like this in theory idk if I will in the game

Dojima and Nanako's link being the only one in P4 where you need like high Understanding or whatever to progress because of how real it got was cool and i wished there were more at the time

didn't they make raising stats a bit less of a slog in this too? I also liked the idea of those stats.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Baal posted:

Except for the part where their S. Links were on a time limit so the loving social stats acted as a barrier. There's also one where you need four courage to even start and then suddenly get blockaded by rank 5 courage like 4 ranks in. It's annoying as hell.

yea for me this is the bad side of those stats. I like the idea but if you combine a time gate and a stat gate that's pretty bullshit in a system like this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tae posted:

I can't do Shinya's link. I can't. I'm laughing too hard. That's loving Laharl/rita repulsa teaching me how to be a gamer shootman

also, Makoto doubling down on being the mom

these social links are powerful

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

freshlybaked posted:

Can you get them to hook up?

im afraid to cater to delicate western sensibilities the high school girl will NOT gently caress the cat

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moltrey posted:

I really like Igor's new voice, his "....Welcome....to my Velvet Room" line is sold so well imo. up to you tho if you like that it makes him sound much more malicious

yea it's a huge change and it did throw me pretty bad but I'm not hating the new guy. He still has the whole creepily over-polite and calm tone even while clearly enjoying watching you squirm, that's what really counts.

I also like the twins, the one who's supposed to be the 'hard' one is adorably over the top. Just goes 100% aggro on everything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zore posted:

My protagonist will be named after the protagonist of the greatest Anime; Norville 'Shaggy' Rogers

I was gonna go with Lupin Thirdly but this is real good...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just got to the half way mark of the first dungeon. Taking a break to do a bit of part time stuff/social link with Good Good Garbage Boy Ryuji. I think it's really interesting how already I'm in a place where SP is my 'limit' in the dungeon rather than HP. We were all fine healthwise but everyone was dry on SP after that chapel boss. That's gonna be a constant issue that keeps me from just poopsocking my way through every dungeon day 1 isn't it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
finding out people don't like Dojima But Not A Total Dirtbag Sojiro is deeply upsetting

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I stole a pervs heart, celebrated by bathing with old men, and made coffee.

goty

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess, I just rolled my eyes when I realized we were doing the "sole female character's (at the time) back story is rape as drama" plot STILL

it very explicitly is not rape as drama and instead is an older man pressuring a young girl to do things she's uncomfortable with because of his fetishizing of her. Like, they make it super clear in your first real convo they're not actually loving and the point is he's a scumbag who spreads rumors that she's his 'bitch' because it makes him feel powerful and clings to his glory days. And then she gets to go shoot him in the face with a tommy gun. It's like, the opposite of a stereotypical rape as drama thing. Male teachers being creeps to attractive young students is a genuine major issue and shock of shocks in a society focused around repressing and respecting authority in Japan it's a pretty big one too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoy that removing the chariot Mara usually rides makes it way more uncomfortably just a big ol dick. Like, it always was, but the chariot added a level of fantasy to this big ol green pecker that's been removed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raxivace posted:

New Igor's voice is cool because that deep voice not seeming like it should belong to that scrawny little body of his in any way just makes him feel even more unsettling.

yea he feels almost antagonistic at some points, which is a kinda neat way to take the character. He always kinda had the vibe of 'this dude loves watching you guys squirm' so it's not a total departure to add a bit more...not quite 'sinister' qualities but somewhere in that realm. Plus it goes well with the whole 'the velvet room is your prison' aesthetic. I still love me some old Igor but this new guy is a-ok by me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, if you're actually using everything you have available P5 is really really easy. Probably excessively so.You won't get 100% without a guide on a first playthrough but you'll have time enough to get tons maxed out without much effort.

is there any special 'you REALLY need to work on rushing this stat asap if you want to finish it in time' social link like before?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^Nice, any general 'this is a good stat to have' recommendations then? I never know what I should be doing on off days other than social links so right now I've been dabbling in a bit of everything.

Underwhelmed posted:

They missed a golden opportunity by not getting Danny Devito.

now I'm real mad we didn't get this.

"JOKAH YOU GOTTA FUSE THEM PERSONAS TOGETHER"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Wait til you see Incubus :mrwhite:

Incubus is UNSETTLINGLY good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I think my favorite thing so far is how every social link seems to be someone just as sketchy and morally questionable as your team

how far we've come since P3's lovely moon link

it's really cool and good that the Phantom Thieves are just collecting dirtbags

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean that unironically, I'm glad that this team of Lupins and Robin Hoods has a support network of equally sketchy but still ultimately decent human beings supporting them, it makes the story a lot stronger and makes me want to do all the S-Links for more than just completion's sake or a reward.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

(fusion question) So wait, do you HAVE to fuse Arsene?

I mean, I don't think so but it's like past Personas, your starter is ok but not that great, but he's almost certainly gonna come back as something OP and insane for endgame so feel no sadness fusing him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

Well, you don't get a chance to register him prior.

he's in by default, don't worry

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

slev posted:

Morgana is like infinitely better than Teddy ever was

you are unBEARably wrong but Morgana is good yea

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mishima is so sweet

...TOO sweet...

this lil piece of poo poo is gonna betray us isn't he

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What do we know about Ann at that time other than

1. She is a hot girl
2. She has a friend she is protective of
3. People think she is a slut because the teachers are creepy with her

It all adds up to "hot girls are people too and can be victimized" which as far media tropes go is somewhere on the level of "hey even enemy soldiers have families". That isn't background, it's just a setup.

I get that people don't agree with me, and maybe there will be some crazy turn around in a few more hours, but drat.

Uh if 'at that time' you mean when she joins the party we also know

she's been blackmailed/pressured by a male authority figure into a relationship she's uncomfortable with and has very actively avoided taking it to any deeper level including sex but he threatens to take away something important from the 'friend she is protective of' who's like her one friend in a sea of people who think she's some slut because of course they believe the adult male who knows better is the victim of the evil slutty 15 year old temptress. She struggles with feelings of revenge and hate to him, especially after he hurts her, again, one social link in her world that doesn't think she's some kinda hose monster, but she also is a moral enough person to know there needs to be more just consequences if she wants actual change to come rather than just making herself feel better. She also explicitly is fighting not just for herself but also for her friend who until the end she doesn't even know if will survive, and in fact very clearly states she views that friend as more of a 'victim' than her in this which is a loving bonkers thing to say but it establishes that she's empathetic to a fault despite being labeled as a vapid slut.

but ya know, yea, basically just tits on legs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like, Ann isn't even my favorite character and she's about to be shelved when I get Fox but she's pretty well rounded by the time you finish the first palace, especially if Ryuji is your standard you're measuring against because I'd say they wind up on the same level of fleshing out, maybe with Ryuji a bit more if only because you can do his social links before Ann

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can romance Way Too Intense Shogi Girl right

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

All I was saying is that playing the rape card in order to make you sympathize with the character is depressingly common and does a disservice to the character. She might get fleshed out later, and that would be cool, and I hope it does.

I am just aggrivated because it seems like we have this conversation every time it happens, where someone goes "this is kind of weird" and a chorus of "psssshhh it's fiiiiiine" comes back. Maybe P5 will redeem itself? Sure, but man it's like a broken record right off the bat.

the main issue some of us have, at least I do, is that typically when a story 'plays the rape card' it depowers a woman so a male character can save her, or it's somehow done in some hosed up way to 'take down' a powerful character or the like. With Ann it's the literal opposite through the entire castle, where her male friends are constantly all 'hey dude you ok with these dick monsters aiming for you and his creepy sexy cat girl puppet you and all' and her whole thing is (arguably unwisely) compressing and powering through for the sake of stopping him from victimizing others like her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SyntheticPolygon posted:

drat it!! I keep forgetting to feed my plant. I'm awful at this :(

how do you do the plant? I can't figure out where to buy plant feed to start with

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'll make these lovely posters understand how progressive I am...

*tears off mask, flash of power, Claude Cahun persona appears and megidolaons everyone*

:five:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Meme Emulator posted:

Its "We hate the police" because I hate the police.

if you didn't pick this you're a fuckin square btw

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Baal posted:

The Politician is one of the best confidants and he increases every time you interact with him. He's also a cool dude, it's crazy to ignore him.

yea I was expecting him to suck but actually he's kinda a fun character. I like that his arc is he's a genuinely good guy who's good for politics but he's just kinda gotta work on delivery better and not make stupid choices. I was expecting some typical corrupt politician style thing but nope, just a well meaning if not very smart guy who likes having a young person take an interest in politics and believe in him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Man, do not rent a movie before you start exams. I do not want to imagine what my late fees are going to be.

yea I also made that mistake. Strongly considering just never going back to that store Blockbuster style

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

darealkooky posted:

I don't wanna trudge through a dozen+ pages of sub/dub slapfights to find this out, who was the voice director for the english version? I've heard this rumor that it was someone at atlus japan and that's why they consistently say voices in certain ways, but is there any actual proof of that?

yes they got their info/guidance from Japan directly, I don't know who the exact director was but it's been confirmed at every level that poo poo like 'sok-o-moto' was literally coached from the Japanese side. Either nearly everyone is lying for almost no reason or it's probably just true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
how the gently caress do I actually watch my DVDs