Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I'm at the Space McDonalds level and it's eating up all my SP and killing my party by inches. I'm bad at videogames and resource management, are there any recommended items to buy to make it through and steal Ronald McDonald's heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I'm making the final run on Shido's palace. Akechi is an absolute puke, I didn't like him from the start. Glad he's at least nominally dead though I suppose they're leaving the door open for a potential return if they wish. I wondered why the game gave you such aggressive answers to him in your first encounters with him but now it looks like it's for NG+ if you walk out of your first game hating him.

What a little rear end in a top hat.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

date ryuji

not an empty quote

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I also don't think I've ever seen the protagonist's dialogue choices make any difference whatsoever, outside of obvious story/negotiation/social link points.

it seems to follow the Bioware model of top>gentle, middle>neutral/informative, bottom>angry/self-centered. There are some points in the game where dialogue choices matter but they're heavily flagged. Otherwise it's all for RP.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Once I ascertained that the dialogue options had little effect on the story I finally feel free to be massively lovely to everyone i meet. It's great.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Endgame spoilers ahead Been reading along with the lp and we just got to the scene where Akechi tells us his backstory. What I only just noticed now is just how messed up that scene really is. Not because of what happened to him, but the fact that he is trying to garner sympathy from Futaba after everything he had done to her.

Akechi fishing for sympathy is really creepy and also really realistic for a teenager to do, so unmm yay Atlus?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
You're underleveled and you need the SP regenerating accessories from Doctor Takemi.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

What in the gently caress is supposed to go on the shelf in my room?

I have a chocolate fountain, crane game stuffed animals, but not a gosh darned thing on my shelf.

Gifts other characters give you. Take Ryuji to the ramen stand and he'll give you a commemorative bowl. Then click on the shelf and when Morgana tells you to decorate then choose the bowl and you can put it on there.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I think the dope soundtrack pushed Persona 5 into truly great status though the plot redundancies don't do it any favors

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Haru's dad kicked it in my game, can I still complete Kawakami's social link?
e for spoilers

HIJK fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 21, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Arist posted:

You should probably tag this, for one.

Second, I wasn't sure what you meant until I remembered that you can't go into Mementos after the deadline for the fifth Palace. You have to wait until the sixth Palace begins before it lets you go back.

went ahead and tagged it, thanks. So basically once Palace 6 begins I can complete?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Ryuji and Morgana are excellent examples of characters that mostly bring their troubles on themselves. Ryuji can't keep his voice down and almost exposes the Phantom Thieves, Morgana constantly self-owns by being a self centered dipshit, it's amazing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Ryuji is my bro, Ryuji is my best friend, our bond is unbreakablr he's also the first Confidant I maxed out so the first time he pushed me out of the way to take a fatal hit that was intended for me I got a little emotional

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Question about P4 Golden on the PS tv, do you need a playstation 3 controller for it?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Yeah, so if you have one lying around, you're basically good to go

I never bought a PS3...........I'm gonna go with the Vita on this one.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I'm fully on board the Yosuke hate train, Kanji best P4 bro

please don't bag on my boyfriend he's my partner

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I powered through with ng+ personas and was able to oneshot the palaces until I hit the pyramid.

But I also struggle to juggle buffs, debuffs, and the strengths/weaknesses of each persona which probably has more to do with it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Playing Persona 4 Golden on Normal and this game is kicking my rear end a bit. It feels a lot more technical than PS5. I'm having to to think a lot more about buffs and use status effects for crowd control. (Yosuke is the man for being able to cast Silence on enemies.) PS5 lets you get away with being a little underleveled for boss fights so long as you have the right kind of persona and the guns even things out but I'm currently at lvl 20 for the second dungeon and the final boss keeps handing my rear end to me which means g r i n d i n g.

Overall P4G reminds me a lot of Tales of Symphonia which was another game that took leveling pretty seriously. The UI on P4G is also a bit of a struggle because it lacks the QOL features PS5 has but P4G is the older game so its not like that's surprising. It's certainly a different experience.

tl;dr P4G good so what

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Just buff your party and you should be fine. I'm not very good at games but any time I got stuck on a boss or whatever I never had to grind really. I usually just fused some new strong persona or whatever. I used buffs and debuffs a lot, but not status effects as much (silence maybe sometimes).

Remember to guard if a boss is going to hit the weakpoint of one of your characters. That was one thing I had to get used to coming from P3P.

inhales slowly
i totally forgot about fusing personas in this game because of the card system
kinda frustrating though the good personas are always above my level lmao, however I'm now at 22 so probably can get some good personas that are immune to physical attacks.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I got very confused because I was sure Yosuke can't inflict Silence, so I looked up his skillset again. I think you mean Panic (Tentarafoo).

It does help that the three-man buff party (Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie) gels better than Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto.

It is in fact Makajam and it's great

HIJK fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 9, 2018

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I don't think it's unreasonable to want Le Twist to be written better and not so easily telegraphed, even the original Lupin stories had suspense elements

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

It is, when you want "the twist" to be something that is explicitly isn't. The Twist is that everyone already knew Akechi was full of poo poo from literally their first conversation because he mentioned Pancakes. Even Ryuji saw right through it on the spot. And they were all able to keep that under wraps and sit on it for months and months and then bust him when he tried to bust them first. Hence, "who is the bad guy" is not the question being posed and answered. How they get away with it and one-up him is.

I don't disagree with you on what it is, I just think both aspects could have been done a little better. I figured out that the Thieves were laying a trap for Akechi when Joker had his first white-out in the interrogation room.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Ah, yeah, that's definitely fair. That part was too obvious for all the wrong reasons, because of when it started and all. Even if someone didn't figure it out relatively quickly then, that it always happened to conveniently obscure information around the plan and nothing else would've made it especially blatant.

It doesn't bother me too much since RPGs are rarely subtle but alas it makes me think of what could've been

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Brewing coffee is a must anyway since it restores SP and those items are hard to get.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
So far I've hated all of the navigators in P4 and P5. They all repeat the same dumb poo poo in squeaky minnie mouse voices. Thank god Futaba was there to whine MOONAAAAA AAIIIEEEEEEEMMUUUHHHH if Morgana happens to miss a hit thanks to a calculation in the game software. Oh wow, thanks Rise, had no idea that me killing a Shadow makes you hot, thanks for sharing this vital information and also I'm never dating either of them.

Atlus tries to foist these navigators on you and wants you to love them and I still can't date Ryuji

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I actually quite liked Futaba (her random stat boosts and occasional blocking of one hit KOs helped me out a lot, and I always level grind with the sound off so I can listen to podcasts and thus never got too annoyed with her voice), but you're right that not being able to date Yusuke or Ryuji is some grade A bullshit.

Let me be gay Atlus. I mean the female protagonist of Persona 3 could hook up with both Elizabeth and Aegis, so why can't any of the dude protagonists kiss dudes?

Futaba's stat boosts aren't consistent enough to be useful and I like the soundtrack enough that I want to listen to the game but it always ends with me saying "please stop" to the tv over and over and over again.

>tfw you'll never date your best friend in a Persona game
>lie down
>try not to cry
>cry a lot

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm honestly amazed they pulled the same "navigator becomes combatant, get new navigator" maneuver three games in a row. Switching from Mitsuru to Fuuka was actually the worst thing about Persona3, Rise was my punishment from the Monkey's Paw after wishing that I could get rid of Teddie's voice, but my opinion of Futaba is the highest of the navigators simply because all her lines aren't burned into my brain. That could change by the end of this playthrough though. Also, she's not Mona, so at the very least she's an improvement on that front.

i'm never playing P3 if this is seriously the case i can't do this a third time

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Shouldn't somebody heal Yukiko-senpai? Shouldn't somebody heal Yukiko-senpai? Shouldn't somebody heal Yukiko-senpai? Shouldn't somebody heal Yukiko-senpai?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Mona is so bad that he made me type up a paragraph defending Teddie with my own two hands and for that he cannot be forgiven

he really is a criminal

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Neither of those things are defined. Sojiro just says he heard about Joker through a friend of Joker's parents and took him in because Joker reminds Sojiro of what he himself used to be like when he was young. He worked with Wakaba during the course of his former job but we're never told what this was though it was likely something black box program oriented considering the nature of her work.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

WRT homosexuality, apparently Yosuke was going to be a gay option at one point in development, based off of some files from TCRF from Yosuke that sounded like a romantic confession so... Who knows?

Yosuke being an asshat would make more sense if he was the gay option and the deal was you had to shake him out of it and he realized his feelings for the MC in the process....

....and I'm seethingly angry that we don't get that option again augh

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Yosuke is very much a typical 16 year old shithead guy, and I give the scriptwriters kudos for not turning away or softening that while still being willing to punish him for it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
lotsa hot takes in this thread i like it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Dodoman posted:

I've got a random P5 question, how do I get Mishima to rank 7? I'm pretty sure I've done all the requests he has sent me but he hasn't messaged me to hang out again. It's almost time for the class trip so I am screwed?

You have to go looking for him, he hangs out in shady areas at night. Look for him in the red light district or Akihabara.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

You know, when you describe it like that, it suddenly makes me wonder why he's hanging out in those places in the first place (unless the game gave a reason and I just forgot.)

The game doesn't give a reason to my recollection. But it seems to me that Mishima wants to think he's a Hard Tough Guy who hangs out in Hard Tough Guy places but he also forgets to change out of his school uniform which bars him from all adult establishments. He wants to look cool but won't put the effort in which...is his entire character really.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That scene really drives home what a boring character Akechi is.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm annoyed that they hinted at but never confirmed him being Futaba's brother.

explain this one to me? sounds interesting

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Akechi and Futaba have the same blood type which less than a percent of Japanese have, and the holes in Futaba's backstory (who her dad who ditched their family was) could fit Shido; Him randomly knocking up Futaba's mom when he was her boss doesn't exactly sound out of character. Technically they'd be half siblings but the point stands.

Interesting, I like it.

Hunt11 posted:

That seems to be a real stretch, especially since if Shido was her father, then do to the connection Sojiro has both to Futaba's mom and Shido then he would surely know about it.

Persona has made larger leaps :v:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Hahaha wow cool there are new posts in the P5 thread I wonder what--

oh.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, are any of the Persona series/movie(s?) worth a watch? I've only played 5 but I plan on playing 3 and 4 eventually, I don't mind spoilers though.

Watch Persona 4: The Animation after you've played the game, I recommend the English dub since the jokes will land easier if you're an English speaker. It doesn't recreate the game but it is very very funny.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

My understanding was that if you take the deal you go out and free your friends and you bullshit that you managed to sort it all out and they buy it and become part of the new corrupt world order.

This is correct as the news refers to the PT as a plural. They're out there and so are you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Well tbf though, the only reason the news even knew there were multiple PTs was because of calling cards saying so. So even if the others are trapped in the Velvet Room or wherever, as long as Joker kept sending out calling cards saying there were multiple thieves, no one can call it a lie or anything.

Then it's probably up to personal interpretation :shrug: