Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I, too, am excited for this game to come out in 2014 Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I get that people are overreacting to the no PS4 share thing but saying "lol just use a capture card" is kind of a weird response

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Let's be honest.. If you've any business recording the scenes for anything, you probably already own a capture card for years. I've not seen anyone really using the ps4 record function other than for MP Replays for their AMVs

Nah, I've seen it used a ton for sharing short clips of funny/interesting stuff in games. Mostly on twitter though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I need to share MY version of the final Sun Slink even though it's a visual novel that is 100% word for word the same as literally every other version on the internet.

If it's to show some friends or whatever, yeah actually it would probably be easier to use the share function than to search around for the specific scene you're looking for.

Like, it's obviously not a huge deal or anything, but just because people are overreacting that doesn't mean that it isn't something to be a bit annoyed by.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You can buy them from the Japanese PSN store, or at least I was able to get the Makoto one that way. Can't use the avatar on a non-jp account, though.

E: or just wait until they get release for purchase in the US, which I actually didn't know they were doing

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

gently caress you amazon ship my poo poo!!!!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Norns posted:

Umm why are you folks freaking out. It's Saturday. Most places have same day delivery or next day depending on your distance from a warehouse. Chilllllllllll

Personally, I live in the middle of nowhere, so no I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it late at this point.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

My copy of Persona 5 has not shipped yet, and I will personally beat up everyone talking about getting it early.

Edit: Wait, no, it literally just shipped, and I'm not getting it until the 5th.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 3, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jesus loving christ lol, especially at their P4 reason.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

if you had issues with the P3 AI it's your fault for leaving them on "act freely" and not analyzing everything

with that said dunno why 4/5 have even bothered to keep this feature if they're gonna remove most of the AI tactics and rework how analyze works, esp in this game where you can just autocast their weakness.

Except for literally every single boss where all of their weaknesses/resistances come back as "???". Also, Yukari throwing out a healing powder even though she has enough SP to use diarahan and getting the MC killed because of it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

If yukari is set to heal/support she will spend all of her SP doing the most healing possible.

I know for a fact this isn't true. That scenario with the medical powder happened to me (several times) when fighting Erebus, and she was definitly on heal/support.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

(Dungeon 2 complaining stuff) I'm sure this has been said a lot, but I really really don't like how it forces you out of a dungeon after making a certain amount of progress. I get the general idea, but it's really bad in practice.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

Should I feel bad for not being able to complete the first dungeon in one day? I got up to the mini-boss at the halfway point and my SP is just toast. Ann's got like 50% left but everyone else is tapped out.

I'm not exactly expecting to max all the Confidants in one playthrough or anything, so I'm not too upset that it's taking multiple days, but I feel like I should've been able to pull this off.

Personally, I got through the first dungeon in one day and that's where my SP was for the most part. I mostly got by by abusing the fact that using physical skills until you need healing is way more SP efficient than using magic. If you get caught by something like a non-miniboss archangel though you pretty much just have to run because you got nothing to deal with it by that point.

This owns

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

What's so different about Persona 3?

Something like (spoiler for the over 10 years old game) releasing death and summoning nyx, and thus the apocalypse early. Not really the best explanation, but at least that's the only reason I've ever seen given for it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Hold the phone, I thought Kamoshida was getting me expelled - so I'd have to clear the first dungeon on the spot - but the game's going ahead toward the weekend.

Is there some later deadline they're gonna throw at me or what? Cause it feels like I just walked out of his office without any real consequences.

He's bringing it up at the next faculty meeting, so you have until then to clear it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Brick Shipment posted:

I know absolutely nothing about the is game or SMT, but the creature design in this is loving great.
What does capturing personas actually do though? Like can you level them up and add them into your party, or are you stuck with using school kids for fighting and the personas are just temporary summons or something?

All of the characters summon a persona in order to use skills, although everyone other than the player character has a single set persona. The player character however can switch him persona out for any of the other ones you currently have with you.

However in other SMT games, especially the main series, demons are basically just party members you can recruit and use, yeah.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

I'm on 5/9 and following the gamefaqs guide but it says nothing about doing any mementos for quite a long time despite them becoming available. Is there a reason I should be avoiding them? Does time pass when you do them?

Yeah, time passes and it makes you tired at night just like going to a palace does.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Will I ever be able to buy any Soma? Or is it something I should hoard till the final boss?

Im sitting at the 3rd Palace boss, if I use my 1 Soma I can win.

If it's from the dlc, I'm pretty sure most people recommend just selling it early on to buy the best equipment for the first dungeon

So basically, use it whenever you want it really doesn't matter much.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Okay but really I'm a dad. is probably the hardest I've laughed at any joke in a video game ever

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Rank 1 helps you get social stats faster

loving what

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

Everyone in this thread better have picked that one

I did, but I didn't expect that they would actually go through with it. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dryzen posted:

That was a penis

That's the 2nd miniboss in the 1st palace. The 1st one is the demon that I forget the name of who's sitting on a toilet.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Moltrey posted:

That's Belphegor and he's just an Awakening boss fight iirc

the first palace midboss is Archangel

I somehow forgot Archangel was a thing and replaced him with Belphegor. Actually, probably would've been funnier if it was that way.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Catherine is better than Persona 1/2/3/4, but not better than Persona 5 (at least as far as I've gotten so far) or Nocturne.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, Catherine owns and yeah it's honestly probably not right to compare it to Persona/SMT games considering how it really isn't a similar game at all

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

:same:

The intro and ending are sort of the best parts of the whole game, the crazy anime cutscenes make them a lot more effective than the lovely in-game models or static images the PSP has to deal with.

Also they removed or heavily changed a bunch of mechanics for literally no reason besides "this is how persona 4 did it" which is kinda lovely because except for direct control P4 did all those things worse imo

However, they also changed the tired mechanic in P3P to be significantly less poo poo. They really should have removed it outright, but man it's beyond garbage in FES.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Persona 3 is great, just mechanically garbage compared to all the games that came after it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zore posted:

Eh, it has a lot of really weird cruft to its story (Aigis, etc) and a bunch of its original social links are terrible

I honestly really don't get why Aigis is so weird to some people. Considering everything else in Persona, an android isn't really that far out there. Also yeah there are some really bad links in P3, but also some of the best links in the series like hermit and sun.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Remember That You Will Die

except when we bring Shinji back

and we explicitly establish cosmic forces are out to try and revive the main character from death

Shinji dies anyways even if you do bring him back, and the other thing isn't even in Persona 3 at all.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a achievement for rescuing a teammate from a hostage situation or something

Was that a mechanic? I've literally never had that happen and I'm kinda confused.

Very rarely when a teammate is knocked down they're taken hostage and you have to negotiate to get them back (or just hit the touchpad to get them back instantly)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Honestly forcibly losing time felt no less bullshit in P3/4 than it does here. poo poo like getting sick and just skipping over a week sucked hard.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

at least he's not invalidated by ryuji quite as hard as chie is by kanji

Honestly Yusuke would've been much better off if they gave him Chie's gimmick of high crit rate physical skills and actually stuck with it for the endgame unlike they did with her.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What's this now?

A while back they said that they were working on a fantasy RPG, but haven't really given much info beyond that

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

Naoto goes from "why bother using her" to "holy poo poo she's amazing" in Golden, if I remember correctly. She can learn all of the single-target -dyne spells, Mind Charge, and Heat Riser. She's really versatile and strong. Sure, she doesn't get boosts/amps like Yukiko does, but she's still fantastic.

I think my pick for best endgame party in Persona 4 is Yukiko, Kanji, and Naoto.

She actually does get ice boost(amp?) from one of the guns you can give her, so she's also great for that.

Also I've said it a lot but literally all they needed to do to make Chie useful is give her a severe phys skill with a high critrate instead of stopping at rainy death and giving kanji the straight up better in every way attack.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

every female character in this game that's underage has at least one person way older then they are sexually preying on them, it's only fair that it happens to some boys too

just b/c a character is gay doesn't mean they have to be a tokenesque caricature that represents all gay people everywhere. that sort of viewpoint is very anti art and labeling heavy imo

When those are the only examples of explicitly gay characters in the game, yeah it actually is really bad.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I always took the maid thing as almost like a hostess club thing where you are paying an attractive woman to come over in a french maid to clean and toss around innuendo around for like an hour but nothing actually happens.

Like 5000 yen doesn't make sense if you are actually having sex with the women

She mentions "other" services, but then says that she'll have to save those for when you're older when she finds out you're a high school student. It heavily implies that she's a sex worker at least in her introduction, but I dunno if that gets subverted at any point because I've been way too busy taking baths and hanging out with a washed up politician to call her at night.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Is it me or do Invigorate and the SP Adhesives not overlap? I have the 10 SP a turn accessory and when I equip an Invigorate persona my SP recovery number will be, like, 6.

They only overlap if they're different levels. So SP adhesive 3 and Invigorate 2 would stack and vice versa, but SP adhesive 3 and Invigorate 3 will not.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Status effects have been in separate families for quite some time in SMT games, as far as I know. Psi gets technicals on the "mind" status effects, while nuke gets technicals on the "body(?)" statuses.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Akechi sucks so hard. (pre-palace 4 stuff) It's super cool how he accuses people of being terrorists without a single shred of evidence of what they might want to accomplish through such terrorism, especially given the long amount of time between the initial incident and the accusation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I suppose my big problem with the Phantom Thieves is that you're pretty much creating a new personality for the victim. I felt kind of bad that the new Kamoshida had to suffer for what Kamoshida did.

Of course this could be me being overly sappy.

I completely disagree. The new Kamoshida IS the old Kamoshida, he just realized what he was doing was very, very wrong. His victims will forever have to live with the consequences of his actions. Like, even in the real world, someone who has an actual change of heart will always deeply regret their past actions. That's just kind of how it goes. Just because you yourself has changed, that doesn't mean that the damage you've done goes away.