Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not gonna be the shortest game, March is a busy month, playing video games is not the only thing they're going to do and I somehow doubt that they're worried about spoilers because the game's been out for 6 months already.

A month doesn't seem over the top by any stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I had one word to describe Morgana, it would be

Very Excellent

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wasn't going to buy this game if it was English audio only and literally every snippet shown of the English dub justifies that stance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Source your quotes

The book of being right about everything ever aka my autobiography :thumbsup:

Seriously though, the dub has been garbage so far.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Josuke isn't being very Josuke right now

Dude spends stupid amounts of money on socks because they're a brand name and therefore automatically better than plebby 5 for 2.50 socks, if you don't think he wouldn't be the most elitist about stupid poo poo you gotta reread.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

sick post/av combo right here from this totally expert opinion haver, +1, smash that like button, sayin what we're all thinkin amirite fellas

Note to me: include /s'es in future lest someone has a meltdown rofl

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't try to copy Japanese pronunciation when you have no idea how to speak Japanese and when you are speaking English for an English voice acting role.
Even if it's wrong in Japanese, the way it would slip out when she's just casually speaking is bound to be infinitely more pleasing to the ear than whatever the gently caress that was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

apparently the voice director told her to do it that way, and following the voice director's instructions is the va's job

still a fuckup but it's not her fault

yeh

like, i'm sure the voice director is getting fired if he tells the atlus jp person who almost certainly doesn't speak English that saying it that way is the worst thing of all time, and I'm not touching the Eng audio at all, but I wish they had the power to say that so people who do want it can have a better overall dub

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Mementos is loving bad and I hate that it's in the game at all

It is seriously one of the lower points of the game

But yes here is the music, it drones on forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPHCZv4kPM

The instrumentation in this is really foul. It just doesn't sound good on any level.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Simple Simon posted:

So, a weird question.

Should I buy P5 and get and old out my old PS3 (tho I haven't used it for 2-3 years) or should I borrow my friend's PS4 (he hasn't really used it much and he fine with me borrowing it for 2 or 3 weeks) and get it there?

Is the graphics better/smoother frame rate or no big difference?

I would say PS4 if only because it is a better version, though not astronomically so, and it does your bud a solid too by giving them access to a new game (even if they don't end up playing it, it's a nice option).
PS3 version still looks really good, has the same target frame rate and assets as PS4 too. Just worse texture filtering and render resolution. As a counter balance to even that though, I've read that better texture filtering isn't necessarily a good thing with P5 because some of the texture work is bad, though better render res is objectively better. I've not seen either version in the flesh so it's just hearsay though.

Dehry posted:

Plus you won't be pressured to finish. Walmart.com and Amazon price match has it for $42.49 as well.

This is pretty cheap though, cheaper than what I've seen for the UK version of the PS3 Persona 5*. I'd have been tempted if I could have saved £15 for the PS3 version over PS4 rather than just £8 (i bought a £50 PSN card for £46 and have £3 in my wallet :v:)

*Research may have consisted of checking one or two sites and saying gently caress researching this

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 27, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chie best girl in Persona 4???

Real strange way of spelling Kanji

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We all know the best P5 girl is Sensei anyway. It's never been up for debate. Picking from your party in this game is just poor taste, unless you're going for Haru for the musketeer aesthetic only.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Consider buying a combination/all of Bloodborne GOTY, Horizon, NieR Automata* and Witcher 3 GOTY* edition to supplement your P5 purchase to help combat potential buyers remorse over a console for a single game. Not to say P5 will be bad, but few games are "game + console cost" good.

*Unless you have a good PC that can NieR and Witcher better than a PS4

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chie is the kind of person who thinks Bruce Lee would clean shop in MMA.

e: How did I forget Yakuza and Nioh.
Shameful. I'm a disgrace. (It's because I haven't played them because I'm too poor for lots of games but I do want them a lot)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

slev posted:

I've never seen Conor McGregor galactic punt a tank

(You've never seen Bruce Lee do that either ;P)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Endorph posted:

the ps4 has, in the past 6 months, amassed the greatest library of jrpgs that's ever existed

I dunno if I'd go that far because there are some real great JRPGs you can't play on it, but it's had a killer run for sure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is this the part of the thread where I can gush about Miyuki Sawashiro? I'll take any excuse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'll also allow that. Any thread should allow that

Great, I love her, she's the best, her voice is like hearing heaven, I want her to say anything and everything ever because it would sound amazing.

Captain Baal posted:

No, because she's not in this game. Instead talk about Jun Fukuyama, Tomokazu Sugita, and Mamoru Miyano, three amazing VAs who all voice major cast members.

Or Soichiro Hoshi who voices one of the best boys.

Or for female vas Ikue Otani who's great as Morgana and Aoi Yuki who is always perfect.

This game has a great JP cast... the EN one has Cassandra Morris and one of the two lame Matt Mercer performances I've heard and that's p much it.

These are not bassy girls, but they are fantastic. They better have that JP VA DLC up nice and early on 4/4 for us yuros

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arigatooooooo, chocobooooooo

The four bros in FFXV in Japanese are all outstanding, honestly.
Ardyn too

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

If I can't kiss video game bishies whats even the point

A cat is fine too

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was laughing at/reading the NeoGAF review thread and the poster of that thread refused to put digital trends review into their big listing at the front page because they didn't want people to focus on it

because they gave it a very well reasoned out and explained

SEVEN out of ten

and then he sheepishly added it in when people said he was cherry picking because he wanted to defend this game's honour

Arist posted:

When does digital unlock, anyway? If it's late enough I'll probably just wait for mine to show up.

usually at the stroke of midnight in your timezone, I think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm addicted to schadenfreude so it's a beautiful thing that NeoGAF exists so I have a permanent supply

Norns posted:

Neogaf is real loving strange about review scores. Like some of those dudes take anything less than 9 as an attack on a game.

"People claimed a 7 for Breath of the Wild(9.7 average score) is a good score, so here on NeoGAF nearly everything is a "good" score.

While I do agree, an 8.5 is fine I guess, below the 8 is where it's starting to feel bad and that's also the reason why reviews below a 7.5 are colored yellow on MC."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The most I was willing to stretch was £5 so I don't have to put the disk in my console when ever I wanna play it despite the fact that whenever I play a PS4 game, the console is always within arms reach.

Endorph posted:

it's pretty much just about validating their own opinions. they see something less than a 9 not as an attack on the game, but as an attack on them.

and yeah, it's this.
It's Seymour Skinner as gently caress.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite recent examples were when all the previews for Mass Effect 4 came out and almost everyone was dunking on it and you'd get people cherrypicking the one remotely positive comment in the mountain and they'd bring this one example up as a "see, it can't be bad, this person likes it and is saying what I want to hear about it, literally everyone else is dumb as gently caress unlike me and this poster!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The way I did game reviews back when I did game reviews was no score because if I can't help you figure out whether or not you'd enjoy the game by giving you my impressions of it via what it does good or not and what it's like, I wrote a poo poo review anyway so that's my bad I failed.

If you're just scrolling for a review score, why bother "reading" a review?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

here is the baal review of P5

+Pretty much everything has been streamlined to go infinitely smoother from combat to moving around town to how quickly Confidants progress
+The main cast all feel varied and like everyone has a purpose and it is fun to watch them be buds
+The story of the game is much more interesting and hits higher highs than before in the series
+The music is v good
+The town is huge as gently caress and there is a shitton of stuff to do
+The JP voice cast is amazing
+Everyone feels super different to use and Baton Pass is an awesome mechanic
-After the first target the story takes loving forever to go anywhere significant until the last few dungeons of the games and no one really compares to the first target for a long time
-Mementos is rear end
-There are even more social stat blocks in S. Links than before
-There is no progress bar in social stats so you never know how much progress you are making until it levels up
-Haru is a character
-Checkpoints are placed very strangely in dungeons sometimes and it creates a really annoying struggle sometimes in reaching the next one
-The game's difficulty is essentially centered around SP management and main character death

a crack team of greasenerds are tracking your personal info as we speak for giving it SEVEN!!!! minuses

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's my review of Person 5

+ one of your friends is a cat and a car at the same time
- no Lightning

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The worst S.Link in P4 is the girl with the trumpet. I don't remember her name, she's too boring to be worth googling.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yosuke's an insufferable little prick.

So yeah, if they're going for lovely teenager with him, they nailed it hard.

e:

Also it's confirmed that there's no MULTI5 language support here, so no French, Spanish or German text or whatever. Probably not a big issue if you're posting here, but if you know people who have really shaky English but want this, that's probably not good news for them.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 29, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Oh for sure, it'd be better if they did away with them completely, but like, I like the idea behind them a lot rather than the actual gameplay purpose they serve.

In sorta the same vein, the courage options early in P4 where it's like Ask Yukiko For Her Number that couldn't be gotten unless you were on New Game+ was super dumb because they did was go like "Oh....yeah sure here ya go"
which i guess is funny because that's usually the response you get when asking new friends their number but for teenagers you really would feel you needed Rank 5 Courage to ask a girl that

you definitely need rank 5 courage if you're going to willingly involve yourself with the boredom singularity known as amagi yukiko

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I preordered on PSN and super dissapointed because the avatars you get are just different versions of the protagonist. Was hoping for a Morgana one

Haven't tried the theme yet

Can you get this poo poo on UK/EU PSN yet? I didn't see an option to download it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lakbay posted:

I'm US so I'm not sure. But to get the theme and avatars I just hit download game on the game page on the browser version of the store

Ah, doing this does nothing for me right now so I guess it'll happen when it happens.

The avatar isn't going to be better than the Ape Escape monkey anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arist posted:

This is the only time I will ever agree with you about anything.

I had assumed your avatar meant you were my biggest fan????!?!?!?!?1

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If anyone is upset about the ability to screen cap/stream via PS4 UI is blocked (confirmed permanently by Atlus) so that they can't upload HQ screens of the game or whatever, consider installing Remote Play on PC and streaming it to the app in as high quality as possible. That will get you better screen grabs than taking a photo of the screen with your phones. You can also use the remote play app to stream via OBS or other apps.

Naturally, capture card is king but they aint free.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

I read the NeoGAF thread about this for a laugh and naturally Atlus is now the Worst Company In Existence
Just looked it up for a nice afternoon treat and some spoiler culture is already in swing on page one. Glorious.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Because gently caress free advertising via YouTube and getting people interested in your game with memey stuff like "I've come up with a new recipeeeeeh" in FFXV.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 30, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Future Tone muted absolutely everyting when you streamed it.

So I told my friend to just put his mic next to the speakers, so while tinny, it technically got around it. :v:

MinibarMatchman posted:

you can just use a capture card though. last I checked nintendo doesn't have a share button + takes some revenue off your videos and this didn't hurt Zelda.

I give it legit a week before videos of P5 are on youtube anyway. Guarantee there will also be thousands of streams for this anyway, I don't think many serious streamers actually rely on PS4 Share over dedicated cards do they?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Naturally, capture card is king but they aint free.

And of course there will. I saw someone streaming it on YT earlier on my recommendations. If you want to spoil the game, you've been able to since September. ImpAtom's probably right in that there's actually really some rights issues in play here and the spoiler thing is a nice, more simply digestible story.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arist posted:

I remember how Type-0 HD blocked streaming of the opening song, which made sense. But they also blocked whenever any of the characters sang it. Including parts that were just the lyrics, text-only.

Lyrics are often copyrighted, so that makes sense. Especially if that Bump of Chicken band who did stuff for it are involved.

Incidentally, I think the first end credits of FFXV are blocked because Stand By Me by Florence + The Machine plays, but I seem to recall when a clip of it plays at the start of the game that it's not?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 30, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're going to be doing it as an enthusiast hobby, sure, but it doesn't mean that there's not a mutual benefit in it for both Atlus and the player if Morgana says something funny/cute so they can say "hahaha my smol son XDDDD #ilovehim" on tumblr or whatever

I'm not really interesting in streaming or whatever and don't have the connection for it, but, real example, if I want to show someone how to do the race thing in Nier Automata, it's neat to be able to double tap share, show a good route and how to do it, slap it up on twitter and share a link to them when it's uploaded.
It's not professional standard, but it has some good casual user level uses.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

can't believe atlus are scared of giantbooms but not baal

i can believe it, really, but i choose not to