Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Game looks bad. Think I'll stick to P4G.

e: Can I date boys in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Lame. No sale, Atlus. :colbert:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is this game out a week from today?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Holy poo poo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I bought a Vita primarily for P3P and P4G. :shrug:

But also for other stuff.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's been more than 2 years, since that came out

Haha
lol I saw "Feb 5" and assumed it was 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's looking like I might have to get P5 in Gamestop. :cripes: It's not on either Smyths or Argos sites. Argos usually don't show things until they're released though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

SweetBro posted:

Okay, I'll bite. Why don't you order it on Amazon like a normal human being?
Because I wouldn't be able to get on it release date then.

I don't live in a country where you can get Prime shipping or anything like that. They always post stuff here the day it's released, even if you pre-order.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 30, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just got home with my Take Your Heart edition hell yeah pointless poo poo I don't need.

Also the guy behind the counter asked me to explain Drakengard 3 (and 1 and NieR) to him in a crowded store as he was thinking of getting Automata so I had a lot of fun.
That doesn't sound like fun tbh.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

JT Jag posted:

Digital Tokyo is really big

It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to transfer train lines for the first time when getting to school, points for realism Atlus
It wouldn't have been so bad if the Subway station hadn't been getting cleaned. :argh:

Actually I had way more trouble finding the house at the beginning. That cop gave terrible directions.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes and you're hosed if you have a criminal record is true of many countries other than Japan.
Yeah it's not like this is a "haha japan is so weird and wacky" thing. Unless you're very rich you're pretty hosed in a lot of places.

Norns posted:

Yes it's a jrpg
Well the framing technique used makes things jump around kind of weirdly. Like you use a Persona before you actually awaken one in the game.

e: I played just about 2 hours or so last night. So far I'm quite enjoying it, but having not even scratched the surface it's hard to say. I think the small QoL modifications to combat will be good (thank gently caress it gives you visual cues on whether attacks will be effective on enemies, once you've discovered their weak points etc).

Does anyone else think that the Battle Summary and Level Up screens are a little..."busy"? In general I like the UX style, those screens may take some getting used to though.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 5, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

slev posted:

Tell me about what the Sandusky palace would be like
No don't

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

seeing a lot of teddie hate on this page and do not like it one bit

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Deified Data posted:

Yeah but it too was a chubby kid with social anxiety so it didn't help much.
Your persona was this guy?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I haven't beat the first Palace yet because I am shackled by my real life
hell :same: Last night Ryoji awakened his Pe-ru-so-na (which is totally badass btw) then we totally ditched Morgana lol.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I did not have a choice, Ryuji led me astray.

I probably won't be able to play this game tonight and it's driving me crazy.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Man this game is so much better than Tokyo mirage sessions it's not even close
Whoa lets not say things we can't take back. P5 doesn't have Mamori.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Zore posted:

Yeah, OG P3 was painful as hell to go back to after P4. I can't imagine trying it now.

:shepicide:
Yosuke using Tentarafoo is P4's version of that. On top of that, you get Yukiko casting Mudo on everything as much as possible, even bosses.

Captain Baal posted:

Demon types when fused together do have specific types they fuse into, but the game itself does not list this chart nor make it really simple to remember it, so yes.
Yeah it would be such a huge QoL improvement if it let you look up an Arcana and showed you which Arcanas you have used previously to fuse it. Something like that would be a huge help. Although at least P4G has the Search feature.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 7, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've had the game since Tuesday and I'm still in the tutorial. Stupid work.

I'm planning on becoming a hermit this weekend and doing very little else other than playing it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

fadam posted:

I've never really played a Persona game before, how badly can I gently caress my poo poo up if I don't follow a guide?
I just beat Persona 3 a couple of months ago, I don't think I maxed every social stat (maybe just Academics? There were only 3 in P3 anyway), and I only Maxed a few Social Links too. It's difficult to really screw yourself up, if you're stuck on a boss your best course is just to fuse a stronger/better Persona. I wouldn't stress too much about it, between the Compendium and Negotiation it's very difficult to really screw yourself over.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you don't rotate your party members you're a terrible person.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I beat the first Palace last night. It took me 2 days just because of SP problems. Although I'm annoyed at myself because I got through the miniboss in the Chapel, and even though I was low on SP I continued on. Of course, I ended up killing most of the Shadows that spawn in there afterwards because I couldn't figure out which way to go. :v: What was stupid was that I found the Secret Passage, but of course didn't go to the nearby Safe room to Save. I continued on, and ended up dying to what I later found out was the last enemy before the next save room, simply because Joker and Mona had no SP left.

The part where you get to the bridge with the swinging blades was just annoying, backtracking to kill enemies is dumb (of course, I reached a similar moment in P4G this weekend also). That took me a few attempts because of the slightly janky stealth mechanics. I was trying to get away with killing as few enemies as possible. The Boss fight was a lot of fun though. Overall I quite enjoyed the first Palace, I'm looking forward to the next one.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Make sure it's empty of customers (listen in on them to drive them away).
I love that, true to life, you can harass customers in a coffee shop by looming over them until they get so uncomfortable that they leave.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sea Sponge Run posted:

He's no persona 3 Moon

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

On the topic of your time being extremely locked in the early game, it was so frustrating after a week of "OMG DID IT WORK" after giving Kamoshida a change of heart, when that's finally resolved and it's Golden Week, your first day of holidays you're made to spend the day working.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Ah, okay, I wasn't guarding because I assumed it would just keep doing it afterwards in a straight DPS race.
Usually there will be 1 turn when you can do damage, and 1 turn where you'll need to Guard against whatever attack the boss is using.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah sometimes you're better off just having a peek ahead to see if there are any more enemies. I just finished the 2nd Palace and managed to do it in a single game-day (although 2 actual days) even though I was seriously scraping by with SP at the end and ran out of SP recovery items.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Always have a persona in your inventory of the matching arcana when you're hanging out with somebody. It's in the OP but it's worth repeating because it shaves off like 1/3rd of the necessary time to level up your friendship points.
I keep forgetting this but it's very useful. I remembered yesterday and fused a Mokai before going to the Clinic to advance that Confidant.

ChaosArgate posted:

Don't bother buying new weapons, that money is much better spent on something else and the weapons you find as you explore palaces and Mementos will be good enough for the rare occasion you decide to just use the Attack command.
Is this true of guns also? I feel like buying melee weapons is less effective than e.g. armour, since your Attack is going to improve anyway with better Phys skills. I suppose with guns you're mainly going to be using them to hit weak points anyway, so damage doesn't really matter.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is there any way of getting closer to Takemi without burning a day? Or do some of her Ranks just take more than 1 time to progress?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's a pretty early rank though, I'm only 3 with her right now. I had a Death Persona when I progressed to that too, and there's not really any questions to answer are there?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Trying to get through the first palace in one run. Jesus it's tough.
I wouldn't break your back trying to get through Palaces in one run. SP is fairly scarce, especially at the beginning of the game. Also none of them can be done in a single game day.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I think i was a bit lower than the average until I did some Mementos. I'd say people are grinding to get Personas etc.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cnidaria posted:

I feel like the game expects you to understand buffs/debuffs by the later palaces, especially on the boss fights so it's a good idea to learn to use them early.
SMT games tend to have bosses later in the game who just spam Megidolaon several times a turn, which will wipe you unless you have Marakukaja on your party and/or Tarunda on the boss. Or yeah, (Ma)Sukukaja/Sukunda.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

SMT IV and Apocalypse aren't terribly different from Persona 5. Different setting and there's no social sim aspect. If the idea of playing a Persona game with just the dungeon crawling, demon negotiation and actual quests (P5's quest system is a bit sucky) appeals to you, definitely check them out. The battle system is slightly different, but you still get all the same aspects of hitting weaknesses, buffs and debuffs. Hitting weaknesses will grant you extra turns, but unlike in P5 if you use an attack which gets blocked or reflected, you actually lose turns for your party.

I think Devil Survivor: Overclocked on the 3DS was my first SMT game, then SMT IV. I got a Vita myself then to check out the Persona series. At this point, I'm completely hooked. :v:

Oh yeah, and TMS #FE is a fantastic game which you should check out if you have a WiiU. It doesn't have much Fire Emblem about it, other than the characters which you "summon" (they kind of take the place of demons or Personas). It's pretty bright and fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and has a slightly different combat system. Basically when hitting weaknesses, your other party members can follow up with "Session" attacks if they have a particular passive skill. The enemies also have this ability, so while you can use it to completely demolish enemy parties, they can also seriously mess you up with them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think XP is determined only by the type/level of enemies that you kill.

What is giving you trouble in the first boss fight? If you're new to SMT/Persona games, the boss fights can be punishing. Don't be afraid to use buffs/debuffs (particularly buff your defense and agility/debuff his attack and hit rate). If you don't have any of the rak- or suk- family skills, you should fuse something which does. Also I think the first boss is weak to something?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Its mainly I cant keep his attention when its just 3 party members while one climbs the pillar, he notices on the 2nd stage of their climb no matter what damage I do. I grudgingly looked up a guide (Im trying to play pretty blind) and it said you just have to hit him once a round, but even hitting him twice per round wasn't enough as he would notice the person and they would run back to the party. I do have buffs and debuffs but only Joker has them, they are totally the only reason I have made it as far on Kamoshida as I have so I'm glad I am using them properly.

I will try to outright kill some more creatures before letting them surrender, but I guess theres nothing you can do if you knock them all down and they just give up?
If you get a Hold Up (after hitting a weak point on every enemy), you can do an All Out Attack instead of shaking them down for money/items/recruitment. All Out Attack will finish them off and you'll get maximum XP.

As for Kamoshida, I sent Ryuji up but I don't remember having any problems. I'm playing on Normal though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ulio posted:

Ya I realized this lol. The game gives you a lot of time to do the dungeon but for some idiotic reason I thought all those days were training so thats what I did. I think the game should say you will need multiple days to do dungeons so newbies like me don't make mistake of thinking the 30 days is just for preparation.
You should take it as a hint when the other characters are like "Hmmmm maybe we should go into the Metaverse today???"

Also what training were you doing before the first dungeon? Social links & social stats?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hadn't played the game for a while, but I picked it back up last night. I'm in the 3rd dungeon I think Kaneshiro's - the bank. I had a couple of annoyances where I got "stuck" against a wall, and instead of pulling away from it, Joker swung around to the other side of it, and got spotted by an enemy. :argh: The Stealth mechanics are fine when they work, they do fit the game quite well, but sometimes they can be annoying. I might try to power through it now, I'll be away for 2 weeks but I might try remote play from my Vita.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you get a 3DS you can play not only Soul Hackers, but also Devil Survivor 1+2, SMT IV and SMT IV Apocalypse. At least you wouldn't be buying it for just 1 game. :v:

Oh, and Persona Q, but apparently you don't want to play that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ulio posted:

Eh I don't know I should have focused on one thing but I kinda just did a little bit of everything which in hindsight was not a good idea.

I am at the final boss now for the first dungeon.

Should I just attack with Ryuji and Main character? I only use the other two for healing and spam block from the start so I don't have to heal 3 characters in 1 turn.

I don't have the spell that debuff's enemy attack or defense. I only have the spells that buff my attack or buff defense which only works for one person but if you debuff enemy it benefits whole team. What persona gives those spells?
I would attack with Ann, Ryuji and Joker. Use Morgana for healing if needed, and Ann as a backup there. When you have to send a character to steal his crown, pick Ryuji. When he charges up his Gold Medal Spike attack, have everyone Guard on the next turn.

You can get a Tarunda skill card from talking to a Slime (do a Hold Up, select talk and ask for an item). Also Carmen learns it at Level 11.

e: Oh you can't get/use skill cards yet actually. So you'll have to level up Ann/Carmen.

Max Wilco posted:

Isn't there also a remake or update of Strange Journey that's coming out soon? Is that for 3DS too or another console?

Also, what was wrong with Persona Q? If you're referring to the thing I said about not wanting to play Persona 4, don't take that too seriously; I would still like it play it and look into the spinoff stuff.
Yeah Strange Journey Redux is out this year, I forgot about that.

I haven't played Persona Q, but impressions here are that it's neither a good Persona game or a good Etrian Odyssey game.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 10, 2018

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ulio posted:

Still going through this. I am at around 30 hours and the 3rd palace is almost done.

Does auto recover use sp from 1 party member or a bit from everyone?
:hfive: I just finished the 3rd palace last night, I'm about 38 hours in. I've had the game since launch though, I just keep putting it down for long periods. I want to try to power through it now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, basically once you've unlocked all skills on a Persona, feel free to fuse them. You can always summon them back later from the Compendium if you need. You can fuse at any time though, you don't need to wait until they have all their skills. It just gives you more options when you do fuse.