Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I was doing a really good job avoiding thinking about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Neeksy posted:

Then again, they also use "wagahai" because it's a reference to Natsume Soseki's "I am a cat".

This is a really good book, actually, and people should read it.

A lot of translations from Japanese sound really clunky because the lines just lose a lot of subtleties. For example, in Your Name, one scene goes "watashi" -> "watakushi" -> "boku?" -> "ore.." which is a funny joke in Japanese because it goes from neutral formal -> feminine formal -> masculine informal -> masculine casual/rude, which is what you would expect a high school boy to use with his friends. But how are you going to translate that to English?

And while senpai is just a normal word in Japanese, continued use in normal conversation keeps the relative position of the speakers in mind, whereas transitioning to a first-name basis in Japanese tells you there's a shift. How would you go about doing this in English?

Another example that comes to mind is in FFXV when someone says "I see the sea!" which is a literal translation of the Japanese line, but would be better as "Check it out, it's the ocean!" or something.

It's almost as if, when you have a very complex artistic medium like a voiced video game, that it is almost impossible to out-do the original language.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wouldn't go that far. It just goes to show exactly why they aren't called translators, they're called localizers, and their job often involves fairly dramatic rewrites or creating completely different lines that simply have a similar tone.

Good localization is in fact hard.

That's a good point. It's probably just that I'm thinking of a lot of terrible old dubs when recently they've gotten a lot better at/about it. I still think it's better in the original, but I doubt that has so much to do with Japanese as it is just true of almost everything.

Terper posted:

Uh, why? It's immediately followed by Noctis saying "I "sea" it too!" so it was a deliberate joke in English

You're right, I forgot that part, but I don't know, it still feels a little clunky because it forces in a pun when there was none before. So not quite as forced, but it still feels a little clunky to me.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Have the character go from speaking rather politely and a bit distant, to more familiar and casual to signify the fact that the characters are now closer and whatever.

Like it'd be a bit more difficult to show sure and couldn't use an exact translation of the scene, but even in Japanese it's not as if all that changes is the use of the word senpai. The way they talk to each other would also change to show the shift. And that can be shown in the English translation as well.

You're right, it's definitely possible. Could just transition from a first name to a nickname, for example. /shrug I don't want to get hung up on that exact word/case, but it's just an example of, I think, why it's so hard to get localizations right, because you have to work in subtleties/ideas that simply don't necessarily exist in the local language/culture.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
They're all completely cosmetic/optional and we get swimsuits for free so /shrug

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Uhh, no. It would be pronounced sa-ka-mo-to without any real emphasis on any particular syllable because that's how Japanese works. Each a sound is like an English "ah".

https://twitter.com/randomfox/status/845414021327044610

You can compare here.

I think the real issue with the English pronunciation is that the vowels are cut off. Also, the fact that each syllable rises is weird and not the usual way it would be mispronounced in English. I think it would sound better if it were said in a way more similar to how you would say "Quasimodo". The ending "to" also transitions into kind of a dipthong, like "toe", which really shouldn't be there and sounds really bad if you know Japanese or notice the difference.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 25, 2017

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If she had just had a lower but steady inflection on "saka" and rose with "moto", it would take most of the weirdness out of it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Endorph posted:

You're hosed if you have a criminal record in a lot of countries, but in Japan you'd stick out way more due to its low crime rate.

That's because the cops are way too busy harassing school kids during the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
"super salty" thanks localization team. Someone knows their audience.