Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I both love and hate this game's extremely in your face and extreme approach to UI and text boxes. At least it's something new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why isn't there a "Morgana shut the gently caress up in battle" button oh my god you stupid stupid cat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Terper posted:

Yes, but hold off on doing it. A Confidant reward makes it take no time.

These kind of comments are what make normal people dread playing Persona games, you know. It kills my interest in the game to think that I "should be" min-maxing to the point that, no, I can't spare one afternoon's game time to possibly get a really good armor, I really should ignore that feature of the game completely until I can cheese it.

:negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jimbot posted:

Just play it normally the first time through. What no one tells you is that Persona is the best kind of NG+ game because you get your deathgod Personas and your stats to carry over. So you can focus on hanging with your pals while cruising through the dungeons and not worrying about raising your stats. And the stuff you missed on your first game is right there to be discovered so it feels like a completely different game.

No I know that, the issue is that not everyone is prepared to play a 100 hour JRPG twice :) I've got a backlog here!

I just finished the first palace and didn't know I could even buy plant food, is my plant already doomed?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wizard on a water slide posted:

Oh, the one thing I think the S Link system could do without is the increased gains for bringing a same-arcana persona, and just roll that bonus into the normal gains.

The expense to summon a Pixie or w/e from the compendium to hit those requirements is marginal for the second half of the games, but having to juggle your free space and go back to the Velvet Room if you forget one for the current month or need to swap one out is loving annoying. It adds nothing to the game but additional tedium.

loving :agree:

What it should do is just give you the bonus if you've Registered a Persona of the appropriate arcana.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Morgana's drink appears to just be 7-Up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I used Naoto constantly in vanilla P4 and don't remember any trouble because of it :confused:

I'm in the second dungeon in P5, when do I get more party members? Give me all the anime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm at the third palace, about 30 hours in, and tempted to restart because I never realized I could feed my plant. And also I'm tempted to min-max a few other stupid things I did like taking 4 days to do the first Palace.

JRPG prollems

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How can anyone think Yusuku is more boring than Ann (note: I'm only in mid-June)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing that sucks about Makoto is that the game doesn't let me just pick "female" and play as her instead of this lanky emo clown!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's funny because Ryuji scans like someone said "Well, just throw Brosuke, Stupei, and Kanji in a blender and see what happens"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Her S-Link sure is something Don't rat me out and I'll let you sleep in class!

Mordiceius posted:

Ryuji is male Chie.

Yeah it's fuckin' awesome right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How can anyone who suffered through He Who Shall Bearly Be Named complain about Morgana. How. Morgana is best cat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Teddie's English VA is what killed him. When I played through Golden with the Japanese voices it wasn't nearly so bad.

I'm playing P5 in Japanese too maybe that's why I don't find Morgana annoying

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Teddie's JP voice is so loving annoying I have no idea how you could prefer it to the dub.

My Japanese isn't very good so I can just tune it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every time I hear that ticking clock and it fast forwards to the interview room I keep waiting for Phoenix Wright to burst in and keep being sad when he doesn't.

Alternately I keep waiting for a "uh where's my lawyer?" dialogue option and since there hasn't been one I've been picking "......." every single time, I hope the game acknowledges I ain't no snitch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,that's good to hear. Because,based on this site one of my co-workers emailed me,it supposedly is that bad.

Did you actually read anything on that site because it's comically stupid

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Ninth Layer posted:

You can also raise Temperence on some Wednesdays, I think she has to text you first.

I think it can be Tuesday/Wednesday? I'm pretty sure she's texted me on Tuesday saying she was working that night.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pollyanna posted:

Eh, I kinda understand where they're coming from on a few of these. That one about the part-time worker is dead on and correct, while the one about Ann is pretty inconsequential. The stuff about scattered dialogue in particular is something I picked up on and it bothered me quite a bit. The rest are somewhat nitpicky but valid concerns that are worth discussing. I side with the site writer on most things, though I wouldn't call the translation a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

That's not to say the translation is a trainwreck, but it's clear that it was so big that some things fell through the cracks. That's life.

Yeah well I mean, the site can't even muster up 20 legitimate problems without resorting to calling a dropped comma "absolute gibberish" ("You might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown" is the phrase, and it's entirely comprehensible even without the comma)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

It's an incredibly mangled sentence even if it's comprehensible.

"You (sir or ma'am) may have done a variety of things in hiding (in secret) in your hometown (where you are from)"? I mean, sure I've read and enjoyed William Burroughs but I'm pretty sure it's still only "a little awkward" and nowhere near "incredibly mangled".

But fine, how about another horrible translation betrayal according to that site:

"At least we avoided the worst-case scenario of being reported arbitrarily." The site's only comment on this is "People just don't talk like that". What? Yes they do? Or they might? What?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pollyanna posted:

I sure don't. "At least we didn't get reported for no reason."

Look, I'm just saying it's really silly to make such a big deal and then not even be able to produce 20 examples that are objectively errors. You might not think those two examples sound good but that is a far cry from making a flashy website about how they represent Atlus "failing fans".

Oxxidation posted:

They don't. Not remotely. "Being reported arbitrarily" isn't a phrase that exists in conversational English, and it pairs poorly with "worst-case scenario."

Again, you're talking about personal preference and not actual errors.

Like, I just imagined someone with a Southern drawl in a Coen Bros. movie saying "You may have done a variety of things... in hiding... in your hometown..." and it sounds great. You should try it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

You're being really weird about this.

Tell that to the guy who made a website about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pollyanna posted:

This conversation is interesting to literally nobody except people who care about translation work like me so the point is moot anyway. There's clearly a common threshold where The Mattering takes place and we haven't quite hit that.

Yeah, sorry, it's just I'm a writer and have been in some variety of writing field since I was 19 so I probably am more forgiving. If you guys think those sentences are bad, dear God, never work in writing!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

Sticking to conversational English is such a weird thing to tie yourself too because no one speaks correctly 100% of the time, we mumble, we stutter, we pick words we don't exactly mean to continue to the flow of conversation, our sentences are all over the place, it's a mess

The amount of information that has to be conveyed vs. the available amount of time to convey it without being boring is insanely hard to juggle and it's one reason there are far more novelists than screenwriters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's slightly bullshit that you can't hang out with your new party members until you beat the dungeon you get them in, because not having Baton Pass is making me wonder if I shouldn't have Makoto on the squad 24/7

e: "It can't be helped" is a regular human phrase, I had never heard until literally just now that anyone associated it with video games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Akechi looks more like a Fox than Yusuke to me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so i'm in the long dark tea-time of no gameplay (the super boring long lovely thing between getting futaba and whatever the next palace is gonna be) and i just gotta know

am i supposed to utterly despise Mishima?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like I usually play the protag as Super Nice Guy Who's Friends With Everyone but I just want to push mishima into the world's smallest locker and lock it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waffleman_ posted:

There really should be a safe room right at the beginning of the second half of Palace 3. I know there's one a bit further in, but I was running on fumes for a fair bit and had to get outta there.

What hosed me up was how in Palace 4 your party keeps saying "We're not even halfway yet!" until you're literally at the second to last Safe Room of the dungeon. I wasn't trying to do it in one day (I've been doing them all in 2 days) so I kept using SP items. When I came back in to finish it I was pretty mad because I totally could have done it in one day if I'd known

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why would you replay Catherine and skip literally all the gameplay, why not just youtube it??

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually thought Shadow Hearts was a mild hit at the time, I certainly bought it just off the box art and could have sworn a lot of people owned it.

My memory is that it's actually a super good JRPG in that it's really simple and not hard at all to play, no bullshit ultimate/hidden weapon stuff (or if there is, it's not bad/necessary IIRC), the plot and translation are easy to follow, dungeons and towns look great and are pretty easy to navigate. The only thing I didn't like much was the timing minigame on EVERYTHING YOU DO but it wasn't HARD, just repetitive.

It's kind of like the opposite of Koudelka, in the sense that Koudelka was almost Unlimited Saga levels of bizarre gameplay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would post some kind of sarcastic thing about spoiling party members but the game itself does that every fuckin' time you start it up. It's hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

Goro's on the box right next to everyone and in the very OP for this thread, he is the worst kept secret, I won't go along with this tip toeing aroumd.

I actually never read the OP and I'm glad because holy crap I didn't want all the S. Links spoiled too. Some things are worth the wait

(like hifumi~~~)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
3 years isn't enough time to add one stinking party member?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why yes I would like to go dungeon crawling with Bernie Sander-san, Siouxie Sioux, and Great Teacher Ohnoyoudidn't.

edit: talking of the Hawaii trip, is there a reason it was so pointless and stupid? Even the characters themselves say "we didn't do anything we couldn't have done at school".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's so weird when Japan's extreme conservatism shows up in games like this. Like OH NO THERE ARE ONLY TWO FULL SIZE BEDS SURELY A BOY AND GIRL COULDN'T JUST SLEEP IN THEIR CLOTHES IN THE SAME BED or OH NO TWO GUYS CAN'T SHARE A BED

Like holy poo poo you guys, I was in high school a lot longer ago than this game and let me tell you about drama club field trips

e: also how everyone is like YOU CAN'T DRINK you're JUST A KID meanwhile in Actual Japan high school girls get paid to go on dates with middle aged men AND THAT'S LEGAL

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kay Kessler posted:

Well, where would you have them go on their class trip? They sure as hell wouldn't go to Inaba like the cast of 4 did with Tatsumi Island.

I meant more like how they/we didn't... do anything or go anywhere. There's barely even a beach scene! Nobody plays volleyball!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kay Kessler posted:

I think that has more to do with a) The writers of the Persona series are a bunch of old guys whose own high school experiences are a bit outdated, and b) characters' reactions being exaggerated for the sake of comedy - another example being the hot springs scenes in 3 and 4.

I'm probably older than the writers!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You really don't need the SP Adhesives until at least palace 5. Source: I beat up to palace 4 in 2 days per palace with absolutely no trouble at all before I even knew she sold them. Had to use some soda SP drinks but that's it. Just make sure you don't have Joker always Do The Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Clawtopsy posted:

Do you play as heart stealers every game

Yes, you can always lead on every girl in the game until the very last minute when you point at one and say "I choose you"