Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DoggPickle posted:

That's hard. How do you chuck out something that someone gave to you? I have this HIDEOUS and terrifying doll that plays the creepiest song ever, but my old roommate brought it for me all the way from Amsterdam. It's technically funny in a creepy way, but it's not exactly small. I don't think that I can just go "well screw that. gently caress you Doug. I have no respect for your effort and your gift"? Like, I don't care if he ever comes over and notices again, because "I" would know. Does that make sense?
The value of the doll was always in the gesture of bringing it back for you from Amsterdam. Now the value is in the memory of that event. Most people won't tie the emotion so tightly into the physical thing that they're afraid getting rid of it will retro-actively destroy the memory and the experience.

It's not all black and white and throwing it gift out right after after you got it "because the value is in the gesture" would be rude. That is human nature. But years later, having found no use or appreciation for it, at a point where it (and a mountain of similar things) has become a hindrance in your life? You've got to figure what the doll does that a picture of the doll couldn't do for you.

Another reason other people might still hang on to a gift years later is if it's related to a particularly important event in their life. Like a wedding day or the birth of a child. Somehow "my roommate thought of me while he was in Amsterdam" doesn't seem like it should be of the same calibre.

It's not "gently caress you Doug". It's "wow, Doug, I appreciated and respected your effort so much I hung on to this ugly thing for 10+ years and even now I have trouble getting rid of it, even when hanging on to it would be to my own detriment". And Doug could well be within reason to be a bit creeped out that such a minor event apparently still had that weight in your life.

So what I see is a lack of faith that you can keep important memories alive without a physical manifestation of them. A lack of faith that you can separate the important memories from the other automatically and a worry that you might let the wrong memory die. And sort of a lack of faith in the future that similar and equivalent events will keep coming, maybe.

Anyway, my practical advice is this: do photograph stuff that is purely sentimental before throwing it out. It will take up a lot less space in the move while still serving as the crutch for your memory if you can't deal with all that before the move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DoggPickle posted:

What you're doing here is being very slightly demeaning while giving no practical advice that wasn't already given in a much nicer way. I have a lot of stuff and I wasn't sure about the "standard view" of tossing out gifts, because it seems rude to me, but you've implied that I'm worried a lot, that old objects are a crutch for my memory and I'm possibly scared that I will never make new friend memories again? Christ. :lol:
It's only demeaning if you have a dim view of people with issues.

Apologies for implying you might be worried or scared. That's clearly something no one should ever be accused of.

• Locked thread