Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

Is that silly sentiment? Or human nature?
Some of both. It's fine, but the part of human nature that wants to throw it away after packing the 500th box full of poo poo you don't really like... listen to that part, too. Don't block it out because of guilt.

My wife, in training my 7 year old to throw things away, has started saying "does it bring you joy?". My little bowl that holds my pocket change has a handprint from my daughter in the bottom. It's just a bowl, but when I use it, it literally brings me joy. The hideous and terrifying doll doesn't bring you joy, but it does somewhat avert your guilt. To me, those are incompatible.

When I was younger (early 20s) I didn't have much stuff and so if you gave me something I didn't like/want, I'd keep it for a year or two to see if maybe it'd grow on me, or maybe I'd wear it anyway. Now I have a house full of poo poo and if you gift me something that I can't politely decline, I basically ditch it at the first roadside trashcan on the way home. I just don't have room in my life for more poo poo clogging up my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
A storage unit is a really great way to spend a couple thousand bucks saving $500 worth of stuff.

• Locked thread