Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Having done a couple of moves before, although not quite this scope, here's what I'd recommend: rent out the storage unit now. The point of it is to give you a place to put things you don't need every day. Then buy a bunch of plastic bins from Walmart or wherever and some masking tape; I assume you've already got decent markers.

Then pick a room or a set of things, and start packing them up. For example, pack up the records and store them. Pack up the books you can't bear the thought of getting rid of right now. Pack the dishes you don’t need on a daily basis and which won't be needed for at least the next two months.
Make sure that none of the bins are heavier than what you can comfortably lift, label them thoroughly (all four sides and the lid), and then drive them over to the storage unit.

Set yourself a reasonable goal - one bin packed up and stored a month, maybe.

The immediate goal here is to get you started and to get you breathing space. The Konmari style doesn't work for me, personally - it’s fine for if you need to drastically pare things down, but I'd be living like a monk if I tried seriously applying it (and there's some issues with transferring its principles to North American dwelling spaces). Great-aunt Linda's tea set doesn't make you overflow with joy, but you're not comfortable tossing it or selling it? That's okay! Pack it up, and put it in storage. Getting rid of gifts makes you uncomfortable, but you don't love them or have anywhere for them? Pack it up, put it in storage.

Once you've gotten everything packed up that you don't need in the day-to-day, make a note for six months from then to go check the storage unit and see if there's anything you want to let go. And make it a reoccurring appointment - every six months, go check.

This way, whatever you do with the house? The stuff that's stressing you is getting dealt with. You can easily go get anything you need. The rest of it will be fine until you find somewhere else for it to live, and I think what you need right now is to know that your stuff is somewhere safe and that you don't need to immediately rehome all your possessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread