Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Staging is something for the listing agent to figure out, not the customer.

Any competent agent will have a stager and probably a designer to advise you. You're about to cut a very big check to this person, make them do the work and bring in some of their team.

Also, a competent real estate photographer can shoot around a multitude of sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

PT6A posted:

Any realtor who takes photos on an iPhone (and a number of them do) should be taken out and flogged. You're getting a big commission, hire a professional photographer with a proper camera and appropriate lenses.

Haha, it always amazes me how often I see this. We're starting to bubble again so the pool of agents is getting much larger and much lazier/shittier.

Real estate photography is a specialized skill too. When I used to flip houses it would always surprise me how well they could make a place look. Lousy agents will just bring in their cousin who "totally did some photography in college and has a camera already". Sucks for the seller since most people aren't on it enough to follow up and look at their own listing, or they fall into a sunk cost fallacy and don't want to fire their agent.

To the OP: I can't help with your hoarder piles or furniture sorting or whatever, but I can tell you to start searching for an agent. Referrals are key here. Meet a few of them. Hire the one who seems competent and eager. Like hiring a lawyer, sometimes you want a shark. Be honest with them about your timeframe for listing, but don't be afraid to get someone lined up ahead of time. They can advise you on all sorts of issues like what you want your contractor(s) to repair before the listing, what price you can expect to list at, when exactly you should list, ect.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Scudworth posted:

Counterpoint: use whoever IRQs mom used

If IRQ is local to the OP that is an excellent idea. If they are not it's a terrible idea. Real estate is very region specific, especially for a listing agent. They need to know the local market to be able to effectively sell the house.

• Locked thread