Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adar
Jul 27, 2001

DoggPickle posted:

Humblebrag? I'm consistently terrified of new friends seeing my house and deeming it "not worthy" because I live in a VERY rich area and most of my friends have McMansions that haven't even had the time to accumulate dust.

I value comfort and dogs and homieness over clean perfection and my house was built in 1967 and has a poo poo-load of bad and old things going on including a really super old kitchen with particle board cabinets.

Knowing this, you can start showing your house immediately because there's a 99% chance no one seeing your house cares about buying it for anything except the land. It's going to get knocked down the minute after you sign the contract. This is possibly another advantage for you because depending on how you write your contract, once you go through the valuable things and whatever you want to keep you could probably leave all of your furniture and heavy junk behind for the new owners' contractors to dispose of.

As far as the other stuff goes, that's what estate sale companies are for. At the start of the process, take ten boxes or whatever fits into your nearest $29/month basic storage locker. That's your sentimental value allowance. If it doesn't fit into the tenth box, it goes up for sale. If it doesn't get sold within a reasonable amount of time, it goes on Craigslist or gets donated.

My wife and I have moved a dozen times in about as many years including one to a different continent. Pretend (or don't pretend) you're backpacking your way across Europe in six months and you'll be amazed how many necessary things turn out to be not really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread