Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoggPickle posted:

How do you "show" a house that you live in? My parents lived in the house I grew up in until they died. I have only had this one house. It seems so invasive and terrifying for random people to come into your house when you live there. But I guess people do it all the time?

If you do it "right" you'll have 1 foot out the door by the time you show it. My mom is currently selling our childhood house and I will give you the following based on what she's done. Two offers in the first week pretty close to her asking price. This isn't a townhouse though, those you can probably skimp on way more and everything will depend on your market.

Step one is identify what you REALLY want to keep. And throw out/donate/pay someone to take/what the gently caress ever all the rest. Box it up and get it out. It sucks. Getting rid of books is especially hard, but you need to get everything out. Just get it out. You keep what you reasonably intend to move to a new place and nothing more. You especially sound like you're going to need to get over yourself and sentimentality.

No seriously, get all of it out. Put your old garbage furniture ("antiques") in storage if you refuse to trash it.

Now that your house is devoid of clutter and bullshit and looks like something you could find on on AirBnB, it's time to start giving everything a good clean and considering fixes and improvements. If you don't care or have the money to do anything major, baseline get any outstanding maintenance poo poo done. Mold, failing roof, junk major appliances, anything basic to the house broken fixed. Get it repainted, the carpets professionally cleaned, and just any glaring flaws addressed.

Now look at your market. Go to open houses in your neighborhood! Be a weirdo nosy jerk about houses comparable to yours on sale and see what's going on in there. Do they have bomb rear end kitchens where yours is a single gas burner and a bare lightbulb? Do their bathrooms have 20,000$ japanese toilets that suck you off while you poo poo? Did they just get new windows put in or a basic upgrade of the appliances? Learn your market, what people did to upgrade their houses (if anything), and what they're selling for. Proceed according to your budget and judgement.

Now get a real estate agent. They will help you stage it and show it and let you know if you cocked up fixing the house up and need to do something else.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoggPickle posted:

I have a long low end table from my grandfather that is actually a record player in disguise. It is really nice wood with a fake top and a record player inside that has lovely 1930-s plugs and wiring so I could probably get it fixed. I have piles of news papers with fun headlines like "NIXON RESIGNS" from the Baltimore Sun in 1974 and a huge pile of Beatles front page Rolling Stone covers etc. from 1964. That's not the kind of stuff that you just toss out like "I need to get rid of some crap"

See this is where I said you need to get over yourself and sentimentality.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's worth anything. Maybe watch a bunch of episodes of Pawn Stars this weekend ok? Do you have any idea how many newspapers got published with "NIXON RESIGNS"? All of them, literally all of the newspapers. Are yours signed by Nixon? No? Then they're just trash I'm sorry to say. The beatles stuff is the same thing. Everyone loved the beatles and had their poo poo back in the day, it's not rare in any way (unless you have something that is rare or signed; how do I know) so just donate it/ebay it if you can or what to go to the effort, whatever.

An end table that weighs 800 pounds because it's an obsolete version of an obsolete several times over technology that doesn't even work is COOL, yeah, but useless and almost certainly worthless.

You are going to have a seriously hard time really cleaning that place out without renting a really large storage locker if you don't alter your perspective on what is and isn't worth keeping around. And hey if that's what you would prefer to do, it's your money, your time, and your stuff. The more of the latter you keep, the less of the former you have to get the house in good selling shape.

roomforthetuna has excellent advice and I can say from experience that dumping all the junk that you accumulate over time and starting fresh with a no-clutter living space is really freeing and nice.

The books are the hardest part, but you have to do it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

My mom put her house up for sale and it sold in under a week for full price and is moving in a week. She had lived there 27 years.

Just start throwing poo poo out; you're not unique, stop using that as an excuse to hoard dog nail clippers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You know what they say, the camera adds 10 pounds of TV Guide magazines from 1984.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Unload My Head posted:

Also, a competent real estate photographer can shoot around a multitude of sins.

The photos on my mom's listing (closed thursday yay!) were downright crazy. Made the house look cavernous, open, and well lit. It's big but not that big, quite dark and not all that open.

DoggPickle posted:

I'm outside DC but sometimes I could get my dad to climb up on the roof and change the antenna to get Baltimore stations so that I could watch MacGuyver during a football blackout. I'd miss the first 20 minutes, but that's just how it worked back in the day.

Yeah same, we could intermittently get Baltimore stations but then dad started stealing cable and all was well. Now I still live in the area but my windows face northwest so I can't get a fuckin signal from either city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PT6A posted:

Any realtor who takes photos on an iPhone (and a number of them do) should be taken out and flogged. You're getting a big commission, hire a professional photographer with a proper camera and appropriate lenses.

Yeah no poo poo, I would happily recommend the agent who sold mom's house. It was under contract in less than a week and the staging and photos were top notch.

• Locked thread