Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

DoggPickle posted:

I do have a lot of crappy clothes that I should get rid of and that seems like a good place to start. Is there a better place to start? I know that the basic answer is like "poo poo or get off the pot" and it probably sounds really annoying to people who are capable of packing up everything they own in like 8 hours and feel nothing about it, but I still live here, and this is my home and I LIKE it, but I need to make a plan where I can get rid of all the poo poo or at least move it to a storage space.

Marie Kondo (who originated that "does it bring joy" method) recommends starting with clothes because they are the least emotional. Then books, then miscellaneous crap then papers (insurance, old tax forms, credit card statements) and finally emotional stuff (photographs, memento's).
She also recommends going by category instead of by room. Because if you go by room it is easy to forget how much you have of some stuff. When you pile all your books or clothes together it is much easier to discard half of them when you realize just how much you have in a category.
She also recommends a bunch of stuff that is rather nutty so i would take it all with a grain of salt but these tips seem to work for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread