Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

DoggPickle posted:

trophies, pool table, couches, Tv's, consoles, dining table, chairs, sideboards, quilts, antique lamps, tables, good cookware, dining sets, silverware, and boxes and boxes of documents, albums, pictures, etc.

Start with this stuff, getting rid of your relatives stuff.

Take the documents (that you know have no legal value) to be shredded, along with the photos you don't want. Some places will even bring a truck for a fee and shred it right at your place. Google "document shredding services [your area]".

If you think all the things in that list have value, contact an estate sale company. They can appraise it and arrange its sale. They will guide you through the whole process. They take a % of the profit so they are very happy to help.
If you don't think much of it is valuable have a yard sale and donate the rest to goodwill or equivalent.

Anyway that's where you start.
Focus on that. Getting rid of the family backlog of stuff. The rest is easy. To show a place you put things in storage and then hire movers when it's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

DoggPickle posted:

How do you choose the categories for the Knick-Knack variety? I don't think I can possibly give away or sell anything that was a gift to me from someone. It just feels wrong, even if it's a weird or ugly piece of poo poo.

If something sits on a shelf collecting dust and has no function and you never interact with it and maybe it was a gift and maybe you don't even like it - taking a photo of the thing will serve the exact same purpose. In fact a digital image of the item will be BETTER than the useless shelf filling thing because it takes zero space and doesn't collect dust anymore.
And you can still see it whenever you want.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Corrode posted:

OP your problem is that you're a hoarder. Get psychiatric help.

No, the fact that she's easily recognized many many things as useless junk she needs to throw away shows that she's not. This is just someone who has too much stuff after multiple deaths in the family and has become overwhelmed with where to begin. I'm confident OP will do this final ultimate decluttering eventually. She has awareness of it.

I grew up in a hoarder house, they are very different.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

N. Senada posted:

Did you make and Ask thread about that?

If not, would you?

No & no.
For ultimate hoarder reading I recommend this guy in e/n whose wife story has hijacked a more mundane thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=469509101#post469509101

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Unload My Head posted:

To the OP: I can't help with your hoarder piles or furniture sorting or whatever, but I can tell you to start searching for an agent. Referrals are key here. Meet a few of them.

Counterpoint: use whoever IRQs mom used

• Locked thread