Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm coming out of many years of being overly sentimental and I recognize a lot of what you're having trouble with since it's so overwhelming. My brother has been really helpful; if I don't know where to start, he'll toss a bunch of stuff in a box for me to go through that he suggests I donate or throw out. The angle I take is that if it's taking up so much space that I don't use it, I should get rid of it and donate it so someone else can take it and enjoy it.

DoggPickle posted:

I definitely need to pare down all the dishes. 5 sets isn't exactly right as it's more like 2 full sets, and 3 sets worth of random other stuff like Appetizer plates and square dishes instead of round etc. I don't have any emotional attachment to that poo poo. I just know that once I give it all away, I'm going to want a sandwich on a side plate and I'll have to use a big one and get all mad. JK sort of. I can give away at least 2 or 3 "sets" immediately with no regret. I only have so many because I bought a set that was irritatingly heavy and got weirdly hot in the microwave so I put it away and got a new one. poo poo like that. I also have the general girly stuff like all the family sized decorative presentation plates and bowls and Carafes.
There's a good start. Pack it up and bring it to your local Goodwill or community thrift store. Get home, have a sandwich on one of the other plates, and feel good about having gotten rid of something you know you don't need. Get some boxes, and anytime you identify something as something you don't need

DoggPickle posted:

I'm still having a little trouble letting go of the really nice clothes that I can't fit into anymore. But I actually did put in a few pairs of dress pants because 1) they were SUPER small, like size 6 and that is NEVER gonna happen again and 2) I kind of pray that I will never have to work in an office with that kind of dress code ever again.
That's a bunch of nice clothes that someone else could be using. Again, community thrift store. Not only are they not taking up space for you, but someone who might not be able to afford them new could get some use out of them.

DoggPickle posted:

That's hard. How do you chuck out something that someone gave to you? I have this HIDEOUS and terrifying doll that plays the creepiest song ever, but my old roommate brought it for me all the way from Amsterdam. It's technically funny in a creepy way, but it's not exactly small. I don't think that I can just go "well screw that. gently caress you Doug. I have no respect for your effort and your gift"? Like, I don't care if he ever comes over and notices again, because "I" would know. Does that make sense?
Take a video of it playing the creepy song and bring it to a consignment shop or thrift store. Someone out there collects creepy dolls and would love to have it; I'm sure Doug would understand that you don't have room for it and passed it on to someone who could really enjoy it.

quote:

I also have a few things from another roommate that I don't LOVE, but he died last year at 35 of the world's most random heart-attack. I can't just chuck those things. The gift things. Not his old random poo poo that he left here, but actual presents that were thoughtful, even if they aren't my favorite. It seems disrespectful to me. Is that silly sentiment? Or human nature?
Your roommate would understand that you can't keep so many things if you're not staying put, but you might need someone else to help you out with this stuff if you can't bring yourself to get rid of it. Keep a couple of small things you do like to remember him by and let the rest of it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread