Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

DoggPickle posted:

But you still gain poo poo over the years.

My mom passed away last year, so my family just cleared out the basement of my parents' house. 1400 square feet shelved like a grocery store. Fabric, dolls (her hobby), Books, puzzles, games, kids toys from all our childhoods (I'm the baby of the family at 45). They built the house in 1985 and my dad still lives in it. So yeah, I know what you're dealing with.

Step 1 is pick the most sentimental stuff and get good storage for it. Plastic tubs are really nice, easy to carry and stack, and semi permanent.

DoggPickle posted:

You have a weed epidemic so you get an edger and a sprayer and 10 types of weed killer and bunch of other crap
Recycle and sell it.

DoggPickle posted:

Your husband has a "photographic" phase, so you end up with some really nice cameras and equipment. Lenses, bags, stands, lights, actual cameras, etc. Uggh then he has his MUSICIAN phase. :/ ( I was paying for all this, so he left it)
If you use any of it, if any of it is valuable or might grow in value, keep it. Otherwise sell it. All of it.

DoggPickle posted:

You have to go out of town and can't find a great place to leave the dog except with some friends who really didn't want to take the dog at all, so now you have a nicer dog crate and a fancy rear end bag to try to shove her into for traveling, and new toys and blankets
From what you are telling us, her traveling days are over, sell it.

DoggPickle posted:

You need to plant a tree and now you own two new loving shovels
Sell 'em.

DoggPickle posted:

You wanna have a cookout with a bunch of friends, and it ends up at your house and people leave their cooler and then move away and now you have bought a really nice blender to make margaritas and you've used it three times in 5 years
Sell it.

DoggPickle posted:

You had to repaint the loving ceiling when the toilet leaked and you have cans of primer and ceiling white (times 100 equivalent instances)
Recycle it. Sherwin-Williams stores recycle old paint for free. One trip will get you some exercise and get rid of the paint.

DoggPickle posted:

You gain an egg slicer, a pizza stone, a panini press, an ice-cream scoop, a spoon rest, a set of shrimp forks, wine glasses, martini glasses, shot glasses, a goddamn cake carrier, a plate that literally only fits deviled eggs, a crab-cracker and a hand-held stick blender, a rice cooker, a slow-cooker, and some stupid retro toaster.
Sell it. Sell it all. Anything you need bad enough to re-buy you will.

DoggPickle posted:

I also have a few things from another roommate that I don't LOVE, but he died last year at 35 of the world's most random heart-attack. I can't just chuck those things. The gift things. Not his old random poo poo that he left here, but actual presents that were thoughtful, even if they aren't my favorite. It seems disrespectful to me. Is that silly sentiment? Or human nature?
This one's tougher, but the idea is the same. Keep the cream of the crop. Is there anyone else who knew him that would enjoy some of his stuff? Give it away to them. Then sell or donate the most useful stuff and dumpster the rest. Categorizing it can really help.

DoggPickle posted:

But I am trying to detach.
We're here to help!

As for selling vs renting, keep in mind the main benefit to owning is equity growth. Value goes up and your payments start to land in the bank. The cost of upkeep and stuff is just the price you pay. When you rent you pay all of that for someone else. If you're at terrible loan to value figures, then yeah bail out. But if my math is right there's 13 years left on the mortgage, you should be really banking those payments by this time. You could be sitting on a hell of a nest egg in another decade.

And you keep asking about visitors, are you talking about showing the house? They will schedule those so you have time to clean up, then usually you will leave for an hour while the agent shows them the house. No awkwardness for you, and the agent is responsible for making sure they don't shoplift.

Oh, and one more thing: Old useless furniture can be re-purposed to be cool new furniture. A buddy of mine took one of those old secret record player tables and he gutted it and put modern electronics in it. Now it's an iPod dock with nice speakers and a subwoofer. Still looks vintage and is proudly on display in his living room.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread