Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've just been through this so I know a bit what you're going through. I threw bags and bags and bags of poo poo away, and am donating some of the stuff that actually has value but I don't want in my new place. I don't think just accumulating things makes you a hoarder (it just makes you generally untidy and/or lazy, like I was, which is not itself a good thing either but it's slightly less bad), but your unwillingness to part with things has you flirting with the edge of hoarderdom at the very least. It doesn't matter if something was a gift, or whatever -- I had lots of gifts that went in the bin because, ultimately, I didn't need them and I no longer wanted to have them around. And I certainly didn't want to bother moving them from place to place.

If throwing things away is causing you anxiety, you should probably seek help, because that's not normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

lizard_phunk posted:

Also, people want "sterile white rooms" because they want to imagine how their own lives could look in there. They don't want to move into "your life". :)

Yes and no. People don't necessarily want your poo poo, but staging some rooms can help. Mind you, it's better to get a person who knows what they're doing instead of just keeping some of your old crap in there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Unload My Head posted:

Staging is something for the listing agent to figure out, not the customer.

Any competent agent will have a stager and probably a designer to advise you. You're about to cut a very big check to this person, make them do the work and bring in some of their team.

Also, a competent real estate photographer can shoot around a multitude of sins.

Yes to all of this. I didn't mean to imply it's something that OP should do for themselves, just that staging is usually better than having a place 100% empty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IRQ posted:

The photos on my mom's listing (closed thursday yay!) were downright crazy. Made the house look cavernous, open, and well lit. It's big but not that big, quite dark and not all that open.

Any realtor who takes photos on an iPhone (and a number of them do) should be taken out and flogged. You're getting a big commission, hire a professional photographer with a proper camera and appropriate lenses.

• Locked thread