Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Gimme a Nemesis system game but in a dwarf city and all my foes are just men and women I've drank more than

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Boffo Spoontaker

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

The nemesis system but you're in Hobbiton and all the procedurally generated enemies are just distant relatives or neighbors trying to steal your silverware and other goods
Weakness: bon mots
Immunities: Shame, Insinuations, Polite Requests to Leave
Epic traits: Spoonthief, Mother-in-law

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Enraged by: Lukewarm meat pie

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Wolfsheim posted:

The nemesis system but you're in Hobbiton and all the procedurally generated enemies are just distant relatives or neighbors trying to steal your silverware and other goods

i'm extremely Here for this

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Backhand posted:

I know this game has a really stupid story, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't still like it. There's just something inherently powerful about the idea of a guy willingly accepting damnation, knowing full well that it can only possibly end one way, in exchange for giving everyone else a shot. A lot of people consider Talion painfully generic, and I suppose he is, but damnit, the guy is my kind of generic.

Talion's a pretty good character, all told. He just seems dull at a glance because he's surrounded by bombastic Orcs and a theatrical Elf ghost.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Does anyone have any fun/unique builds they'd recommend? I know there's a balefire build (I'm using a modified epic version of that that focuses more on poison) and also a perma-wrath build centered around a wrathgiver sword I'm still hunting for. I'm looking for fun new things to try now that I finished shadow wars.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Crowetron posted:

Talion's a pretty good character, all told. He just seems dull at a glance because he's surrounded by bombastic Orcs and a theatrical Elf ghost.

Yeah. Turns out "genuinely good, self-sacrificing heroic long-haired dad" is actually a way more fun character to play than "angsty angry brooding troubled shorthaired dad," which seems to be the actual default protagonist for video games these days.

E: That looks sarcastic but I do actually mean it.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Dude I can't lie I wanted to hate Talion when I started back in Shadow of Mordor but after this whole ride he's a bro

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I like Tailon, I enjoyed the interaction in act I between Shelob, Tailon, and Celebrimbor, when Celebrimbor says something like "Pah! This witch is not to be trusted!" then confidently starts to walk away past Tailon expecting him to follow suit, instead he walks right over to her to accept her visions again. Celebrimbor's defeated dejected face in the background is great.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Talion has his own agency in this game which did wonders for me actually liking him.

In the first game he was basically being dragged along by circumstance and that sucked but making that choice in this one owned.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Man I'm really loving the online conquest system. Assaults are a lot of fun and I get to steal lots of good orcs from other people. I'm starting to get some good defense wins too after I started sticking assassin bodyguards in with my overlord. Bonus points if the overlord has savages and war banners- hope you like mashing the dodge button! :q:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

HebrewMagic posted:

Gimme a Nemesis system game but in a dwarf city and all my foes are just men and women I've drank more than

Nemesis system dating sim. There, now everyone can come up with the horrors my brain did when the thought entered it...

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I need to make a fort with only former slaves.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I would unironically love to play a game like this.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hakarne posted:

Man I'm really loving the online conquest system. Assaults are a lot of fun and I get to steal lots of good orcs from other people. I'm starting to get some good defense wins too after I started sticking assassin bodyguards in with my overlord. Bonus points if the overlord has savages and war banners- hope you like mashing the dodge button! :q:

Yeah i started getting wins with a fort that is manned entirely by chumps except for my ridiculous overlord and his two or three dudes; anyone can get through a fort, you win or lose in the overlords chamber. I try to stick at least two body guards on any overlord, and i make them legendary so the player might waste time trying to kill them for their drop. I know i hate fighting war banners, poison orcs of any stripe, and ologs, so that's what i fill the chamber with.

Chamber chamber chamber.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I hate curse weapons way more than poison. Oh, you got hit once by a random mook? Say goodbye to all your wrath, focus, and minimap, sucker! I forget if it drains might too, but either way it's a huge pain in the rear end. War banners too. Is it just me or is there no cooldown on those things? I feel like as soon as I destroy the banner another one just pops right up seconds later.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I am trying to gently caress with other players then I go with either Ologs or arrow immune orcs so that they can't shadow pull them to the ledge and butcher them at their leisure.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Inspector Hound posted:

Nemesis game where you mercilessly kill elves

Also executions use Metal Gear Rising's zandatsu system.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gadzuko posted:

I hate curse weapons way more than poison. Oh, you got hit once by a random mook? Say goodbye to all your wrath, focus, and minimap, sucker! I forget if it drains might too, but either way it's a huge pain in the rear end. War banners too. Is it just me or is there no cooldown on those things? I feel like as soon as I destroy the banner another one just pops right up seconds later.

There's a reason I ran curse on all my fort dudes. Curse was legit the most annoying poo poo.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Does the ability for an orc to taunt during an arena match add anything to the game aside from the ability for orcs to randomly decide to throw a match? I don't understand why it's in the game, the taunts aren't even amusing. They just raise their arms.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
My new favorite Talion one liner:
Soon to be dead overlord: "Hope they told you outside, I play ~rough~"
Talion: "They didn't tell me much. They were too busy dying or fleeing.

Currently rolling along online fortress assaults to look for interesting orcs to kidnap. I figure if other people thought they were cool enough to make overlord, they'll be good enough for me. (Specifically looking to grab more necromancer orcs)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i cant seem to have my orcs infiltrate as warchiefs. every time i kill one his bodyguards stay where they are and he gets replaced almost instantly by a completely new guy. am i doing something wrong or is the game telling me to man up and go attack the fort already

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

cuntman.net posted:

i cant seem to have my orcs infiltrate as warchiefs. every time i kill one his bodyguards stay where they are and he gets replaced almost instantly by a completely new guy. am i doing something wrong or is the game telling me to man up and go attack the fort already

Nah, what you gotta do is go to your army screen, order a guy to infiltrate, and do his pit fight IMMEDIATELY. Doing any other Nemesis Events advances time and respawns the warchief.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thanks, i was starting to think thatd just make him become a bodyguard for the next warchief

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Just started playing this game recently after picking it up in the summer sale and I'm really enjoying it. Switching to nemesis mode was a huge help in that as I'm now dying every so often and properly engaging with the strengths and weaknesses of the captains I'm facing - although I lucked into some legendary poison on crit gear early on and for a bit everything just melted.

I've got a quick question about interaction with the previous game: does your old nemesis show up after the act 1 pit fight? I honestly don't remember him showing up there but I've just popped over to Gorgoroth following a mission chain and he (or his identical twin) is definitely there as the overlord. Nazu the Chop pursued me all the way through the first game like an orcish terminator so I'm looking forward to taking his fort from him.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Party Boat posted:

I've got a quick question about interaction with the previous game: does your old nemesis show up after the act 1 pit fight? I honestly don't remember him showing up there but I've just popped over to Gorgoroth following a mission chain and he (or his identical twin) is definitely there as the overlord. Nazu the Chop pursued me all the way through the first game like an orcish terminator so I'm looking forward to taking his fort from him.

That guy is all but guaranteed to cheat death at least once.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

That guy is all but guaranteed to cheat death at least once.

I fought that guy 4 times and not only did he cheat death every time, he returned with a (different) legendary scar + title change every time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jack Trades posted:

I fought that guy 4 times and not only did he cheat death every time, he returned with a (different) legendary scar + title change every time.

These are my favorites and it sucks how rare they can be

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

By the end of the first game all his limbs were stitched back on and he had a big metal neck brace / jaw type arrangement from the number of times I'd beheaded him. Hopefully he has room for a few more scars.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

WoodrowSkillson posted:

These are my favorites and it sucks how rare they can be

The legendary scars can only show up once per game because ??? ~game design~

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They likely knew that 90% of players would only play through the game once (and of that even fewer would complete it) and therefore wanted their "cool orc story" to not be identical to everyone else's.

My "cool unbroken guy" is less cool if everyones also got a cool unbroken guy.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

dogstile posted:

They likely knew that 90% of players would only play through the game once (and of that even fewer would complete it) and therefore wanted their "cool orc story" to not be identical to everyone else's.

My "cool unbroken guy" is less cool if everyones also got a cool unbroken guy.

"Prak, go ambush this dude"
*His mission starts*
"YOU KNOW ME, NOT EVEN THE GRAVEWALKER COULD SHAME ME"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

Nah, what you gotta do is go to your army screen, order a guy to infiltrate, and do his pit fight IMMEDIATELY. Doing any other Nemesis Events advances time and respawns the warchief.

I had this bug too, sometimes the warchief would be replaced before I could even assign a guy to the pit fight. And sometimes the pit fights would bug out so that I had a 100% chance of losing until I just manned up and took the fort. I think it was Seregost that this happened in, in case its scripted to be like that. I threw 5 of my favorite orcs at that pit fight and then they'd just stand there and taunt while they got murdered.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

My reunion with Nazu the Chop was pretty underwhelming. I spent a bit of time beforehand exploring Cirith Ungol (not Gorgoroth as I mistakenly said earlier) and managed to get three of my own captains installed as his warchiefs, which made it a gentle stroll to his throne room. He reminisced about killing me but despite still being really aggressive he seemed much less scary than before. I ended up dominating him and sending him off into the lower ranks. Maybe he'll betray me at some point.

Also is it just me or are the throne room fights really bad? Choosing the terrain for a battle and exploiting the environment is one of the best parts of this game, so trapping you in a smallish area that's identical for every overlord feels like a big letdown compared to how good fights out in the open with random captains can get. I know about going up on the balconies if you want to use stealth and summoning your mount and bodyguard, but it's still a pale imitation of what you can do in other battles.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Also is it just me or are the throne room fights really bad? Choosing the terrain for a battle and exploiting the environment is one of the best parts of this game, so trapping you in a smallish area that's identical for every overlord feels like a big letdown compared to how good fights out in the open with random captains can get. I know about going up on the balconies if you want to use stealth and summoning your mount and bodyguard, but it's still a pale imitation of what you can do in other battles.

No, it's not just you.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

A Moose posted:

I had this bug too, sometimes the warchief would be replaced before I could even assign a guy to the pit fight. And sometimes the pit fights would bug out so that I had a 100% chance of losing until I just manned up and took the fort. I think it was Seregost that this happened in, in case its scripted to be like that. I threw 5 of my favorite orcs at that pit fight and then they'd just stand there and taunt while they got murdered.

yeah i also ran into it at seregost

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Technowolf posted:

No, it's not just you.

The throne room fights are boring and anticlimactic.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The fight pit stuff seems so bad, am I missing something? The levels of the 2 orcs don't seem to matter at all, I just had an Level 32 orc lose to a level 23, neither had any sort of mortal weakness the other exploited. Is it just purely RNG? The fights aren't even fun to watch, the animation is janky and when you're about to lose an orc because he's just standing there it's incredibly frustrating.

There's no other way to infiltrate a spy right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Spalec posted:

The fight pit stuff seems so bad, am I missing something? The levels of the 2 orcs don't seem to matter at all, I just had an Level 32 orc lose to a level 23, neither had any sort of mortal weakness the other exploited. Is it just purely RNG? The fights aren't even fun to watch, the animation is janky and when you're about to lose an orc because he's just standing there it's incredibly frustrating.

There's no other way to infiltrate a spy right?

They are very lackluster and RNG yeah, and unfortunately no there is no other way to infiltrate a spy. Would have been nice with a cool tag team sneaking/assassination mission where you are your uruk pal actually infiltrated the ranks together and ensured the spys place, but instead we got uruk pokemon. Which to be fair i've had some fun with, but it's not really very engaging gameplay and collecting the perfect pit fighter is kinda pointless cause like you pointed out he can be shat on by RNG at any point.

The only way to really ensure success is to pick a fighter that has something that terrifies the opponent to the point where he stops fighting or is perma dazed. Like a dude with fire coming out of every hole against someone that's terrified of fire for instance.

• Locked thread