Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it looks like at the ending that their are a gently caress ton of fortresses, least 15 or so.

Yes, there are, and with that amount of content I'm legit worried about the missions and Nemesis scripting being stretched too thin.

I mean, think about all of the ~*HUGE OPEN WORLD*~ games like Just Cause 2 and Assassin's Creed and stuff and how repetitive and shallow it actually is. That's my concern.

Maybe they've nailed it. I don't know. Never hurts to wait and see with single player games, it's not like the community dies out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it looks like at the ending that their are a gently caress ton of fortresses, least 15 or so.

Yeah. I just hope that the Fortress Lords or whatever they're called are also randomized. It'd kinda suck if they were premade. Also,I'm wondering if we can brand the Lord if he's got good traits or whatever. I remember a couple Warchiefs in Mordor that were perfect and required no head-chopping.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah. I just hope that the Fortress Lords or whatever they're called are also randomized. It'd kinda suck if they were premade. Also,I'm wondering if we can brand the Lord if he's got good traits or whatever. I remember a couple Warchiefs in Mordor that were perfect and required no head-chopping.

they said they were. i am sure their will be one or two definative ones. but it sounds like sauron can attack and retake the fortresses so i assume its random.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, there are, and with that amount of content I'm legit worried about the missions and Nemesis scripting being stretched too thin.

I mean, think about all of the ~*HUGE OPEN WORLD*~ games like Just Cause 2 and Assassin's Creed and stuff and how repetitive and shallow it actually is. That's my concern.

Maybe they've nailed it. I don't know. Never hurts to wait and see with single player games, it's not like the community dies out or something.

i played like 50 hours of loving around in shadow of mordor before i even beat the game. i am sure it will be fine.

i am still happy in a hosed up way they upped the gore and the dismemberment.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

That there will be a bunch of big maps isn't as huge of a developer hurdle anymore. For example, the beautiful world in Horizon: Zero Dawn was created largely with procedural generation to decorate the entire landscape.

I've got faith in Monolith on this one. It's different for everyone, but they delivered what they promised on the first game for me and was one of my favorite games of that year.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I just hope there is a harder difficulty or something because the first game was such a cakewalk. Very literal mashing and you could beat enemy swarms of any size.

Also I wanna play an orc, everyone is here for the orcs, orcs are what made this series so orc it up even more.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Question for LOTR nerds: What does a ring of power actually do?

its a bit ambiguous but basically "amplify your will." I wouldn't worry about the story in this game too much especially as it relates to actual LOTR, im assuming in the context of the game your ring will just make you a bigger badass and unlock powers or whatever.

PCGamer has a quote saying the fortresses are "capstones" after 4-7 hours of gameplay which sounds pretty great, spend 5-10 hours in each region between building up an army then blowing up the fortress.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they said they were. i am sure their will be one or two definative ones. but it sounds like sauron can attack and retake the fortresses so i assume its random.

i played like 50 hours of loving around in shadow of mordor before i even beat the game. i am sure it will be fine.

i am still happy in a hosed up way they upped the gore and the dismemberment.

I remember they promised you'd be able to hack off limbs in the first one,but didn't implement it. I'm just thinking of the implications for the Nemesis System-cut a dude's hand off and he comes back with a hook. What would happen if you cut off several limbs? I want to create the Orc version of the Black Knight,which is why I'm pondering.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

I remember they promised you'd be able to hack off limbs in the first one,but didn't implement it. I'm just thinking of the implications for the Nemesis System-cut a dude's hand off and he comes back with a hook. What would happen if you cut off several limbs? I want to create the Orc version of the Black Knight,which is why I'm pondering.

i just want some Battle of the bastards level battle and carnage and the demo looked close enough for me to be happy

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Looks like maybe they're playing up the "bright lord" part of the player character a little bit more? I hope so, elf dude was cool and main dude was hella boring.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Question for LOTR nerds: What does a ring of power actually do?

You forge a new one in this game, but what does this mean. Does it give you +4d6 damage or +20% critical chance or is it just something vague like power.

Sauron put his lifeforce into his so he couldn't die unless it was destroyed. His also allowed him to control the wearers of the others i.e. the 9 human kings who didn't take theirs off like the Dwarves to start their treasure hordes, or elves who could smell something fishy, and became the Nazgul. The human rings and Sauron's ring extend your lifespan (but not necessarily your youth, you just become an old wiry ugly bastard like Gollum), and why Bilbo is still so spry for a while. And they make you invisible, that's why the Nazgul wear cloaks to be seen.

Celebrimbor forged the rings with Sauron's help so Sauron was able to put in that day 0 backdoor exploit. Now Celebrimbor knows enough about forging magic rings that it's likely the new ring of power enhances mind domination sort of like Sauron's. I don't know if he'll forge in some invisibility or extended life.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

yeah, I don't think you're being a jerk. I loved the first game, but it wasn't without it's flaws. I'd love for the combat to be more varied, for starters. Maybe branch the weapons and skills out a bit? Can you imagine the variety this game would have if it even had half the weapons/gear/spells of Dark Souls? While I get that this is more Assassin's Creed with Orcs, other "stealth-action" games like Metal Gear or Far Cry give a good selection of new toys or skills to constantly play with. Maybe as you expand the Bright Lord part, forge a new ring for yourself, and upgrade it like the sigils. Find a few named weapons, like axes and spears. It's a fantasy world, so while I get they are trying to be true to Tolkien, there's still a lot of room to play around with.

Also, the combat-immune, stealth-immune, etc. bad guys did start to get ridiculous towards the end. Felt like they literally left a single-option to kill some baddies, and it just got annoying. Felt like I was fighting an army made of of dozens of Achilles of the Uruk-Hai, invincible in all ways but one.

Just some ideas that I thingk would turn a game that I could gladly spend a few dozen hours on to a game I could gladly spend hundreds of hours on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kaincypher posted:

yeah, I don't think you're being a jerk. I loved the first game, but it wasn't without it's flaws. I'd love for the combat to be more varied, for starters. Maybe branch the weapons and skills out a bit? Can you imagine the variety this game would have if it even had half the weapons/gear/spells of Dark Souls? While I get that this is more Assassin's Creed with Orcs, other "stealth-action" games like Metal Gear or Far Cry give a good selection of new toys or skills to constantly play with. Maybe as you expand the Bright Lord part, forge a new ring for yourself, and upgrade it like the sigils. Find a few named weapons, like axes and spears. It's a fantasy world, so while I get they are trying to be true to Tolkien, there's still a lot of room to play around with.

Also, the combat-immune, stealth-immune, etc. bad guys did start to get ridiculous towards the end. Felt like they literally left a single-option to kill some baddies, and it just got annoying. Felt like I was fighting an army made of of dozens of Achilles of the Uruk-Hai, invincible in all ways but one.

Just some ideas that I thingk would turn a game that I could gladly spend a few dozen hours on to a game I could gladly spend hundreds of hours on.

what i hope they fix is they make it more, i guess the right phrase would be "cinamatic" or have more flow. like the demo did. the biggest issues i had was the warboss fight would get the same after a while, do pre request thing to set them off, then then they show up with applause and chants and kinda waddle over to you. i want stuff like what they showed in the demo, where they are doing stuff and interacting with other orcs and it all looks natural but movie like.

what i am saying is i want shadow of warfare to make mordor look like a tech demo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Well I know what my second preorder ever will be

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Saw the 16 minutes of gameplay footage yesterday when it popped up on my Youtube front page, then nearly crapped my pants watching it. It looks like they realized that most of the enjoyment from the first game was running around aggroing huge amounts of orcs then trying to fight them off. So instead of doing what a lot of companies of done recently and doubled down on making the story more dramatic as if fun gameplay were some kind of sin, they said "Okay, that was what you guys liked? Have MORE BIGGER BATTLES. Also an army and some actual loot. Also dragons, in case you love the smell of napalm in the morning. Oh, and you might have somebody to save your back if you're getting ready to get cutscene choke slammed. And your space ghost does more, coast to coast!"

Obviously the footage was all set up to show off a bunch of different stuff in rapid succession, but even so, those systems all being in place looks incredibly cool. It took every fiber of my being to not just immediately start throwing money at the screen. Do we know anything about the preorder DLC though? I hope the Legendary Champions and the sword are either optional, or mostly cosmetic. I hate when your reward for preordering is invalidating the first half of the game because your packed in DLC is that your humble peasant farmer has now inherited the ANCESTRAL SHOTGUN OF POWER.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zaodai posted:

I hate when your reward for preordering is invalidating the first half of the game because your packed in DLC is that your humble peasant farmer has now inherited the ANCESTRAL SHOTGUN OF POWER.

Yes, this, vehemently agree. The power bonuses in this pre-order are a sword and some champions. The sword you can just neglect to equip probably and if the control system is like in the original you can maybe summon the champions and explode their heads with the power of ghost anime.

Nothing is known about the story DLC yet and probably not for a long time.

IMHO there is zero reason to pre-order this title. Non RNG champions without your own backstory will be boring, the sword will be replaced and story DLC is extremely far away. And given how the DLC for the original was they might be p bad and something that would be best to wait for a sale to pick up.

Edit: Unrelated, i gotta say i'm really excited to learn more about necromancy and how it will play out in the game. It's a aspect of Tolkiens universe that seems p important, but has rarely been touched upon in the movies/games. I hope the forts take on the appearance of the warlord you put in charge of it and you get these super gross ghost zombie forts to visit.

Edit2: ↓↓↓ yeah, cosmetic stuff would be cool tho

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 9, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well I would be fine with the legendary champions if they were just skins for your Orcs, or more powers for the pool or something. Or if they were optional and you had to go turn them on to include them in your game, or they show up in their own zone you'd have to go collect them. As long as it's opt-in rather than opt-out DLC, I'm fine with them including all the random crap they want. It just shouldn't take the average player extra effort to go out of their way to be able to play the game as a "default" character if they want to.

Plus, if the sword and champions were cosmetic DLC, then they'd just be extra variety you could use at will, which is rarely a bad thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Customizing everything visually is like, my Kryptonite. So I was extremely happy when Talion put on that Rohan armor.

My Fortresses will be the prettiest Fortresses in Mordor!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/shadowofwargame/status/839871663248334848

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd like 100s of orc on screen and fighting simultaneously.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I want an Orc that is straight up an anime villain that uses the power of the Dark Lord to go all super mode on you. Harder orcs were a rarity.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I want an Orc that is straight up an anime villain that uses the power of the Dark Lord to go all super mode on you. Harder orcs were a rarity.

Or an Orc with a Stand. I mean,Talion has one,it's only fair.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 9, 2017

Munaus
Jan 10, 2015
there were less things I could get stuck in on the original game, parkour-wise. The assassin creed had too much clutter in the cities that made you cling stuck in weird corners or boxes.
Now that we got these large fortresses I hope we don't get these parkour glitches.

I love what I saw in that gameplay video. It's what I always wanted. Siege fortesses with my own, trained orcs against some nemesis I threw off a cliff/burned/ stabbed in the back/ poisoned his grog/ chopped his head off.

..and it comes out near my birthday. Life is grand

DeckardPain
Feb 29, 2016

Hopefully the combat this time around doesn't suck poo poo and is a bit more engaging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm really hoping that the rivalry between your orcs and Saurons orcs is meaningful and engaging. It seems a good way to build up stories and nemeses without you having to die, and killing some bad rear end lord who offed your favourite pokemon could be brilliant. Especially if he used to be one of yours and betrayed you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I wouldn't mind being able to import an orc you liked from Shadows of Mordor as your starter guy, honestly. I know I have an ork in my Mordor save that was probably my favorite of all the ones I saw. One of those huge berserker orcs, with pale white skin and just covered in runic tattoos. He would wreck just about anybody I threw him at.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Really excited for this. Loved the first game, despite its flaws.

Press X to stabkiss your wife.

Let me kiss an orc, Monolith.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Swedish Horror posted:

Really excited for this. Loved the first game, despite its flaws.

Press X to stabkiss your wife.

Let me kiss an orc, Monolith.

Someone needs to replace the anime waifu with an Orc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This looks incredible. But I am going to do what I did in the last game and just not get any of the health upgrades at all. That way I can be sure I am going to die in one hit and it forces me to play a bit better.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Josef bugman posted:

This looks incredible. But I am going to do what I did in the last game and just not get any of the health upgrades at all. That way I can be sure I am going to die in one hit and it forces me to play a bit better.

That's how I played the Batman games for the same reason.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
I just had a thought.

One of my biggest gripes is that at one point it just got too easy, it also seemed to take the edge off of a fight when you knew a target couldn't be Sniped from a distance.

What if instead of telling you what they are immune to, that they just tell you their weaknesses. I think it would make fights a little harder and you'd HAVE to remember "Oh poo poo, there's froggy pants over there. I better run that bastard down OH poo poo Though, last time I fought him he killed my mount. He must be immune to animals" that way it literally makes the RNG enemies memorable as a tactical necessity.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Amazing Member posted:

I just had a thought.

One of my biggest gripes is that at one point it just got too easy, it also seemed to take the edge off of a fight when you knew a target couldn't be Sniped from a distance.

What if instead of telling you what they are immune to, that they just tell you their weaknesses. I think it would make fights a little harder and you'd HAVE to remember "Oh poo poo, there's froggy pants over there. I better run that bastard down OH poo poo Though, last time I fought him he killed my mount. He must be immune to animals" that way it literally makes the RNG enemies memorable as a tactical necessity.

That'd be a nice little addition. Depends on if they are going to have us fight like, eight of them all at once like you used to with the Warchiefs mob.

Though as someone was mentioning Orc Politics Simulator 2017 would be my favorite thing to play.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I found this nice little interview with an art director. He talked about some additional stuff I think you all would find interesting.

http://venturebeat.com/2017/03/08/shadow-of-wars-art-director-on-just-how-big-the-new-middle-earth-game-will-be/

Also they revealed there will be difficulty modes in an interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EkwyTlXY_U).

Couple highlights:

quote:

I can’t really get into the specifics of the Nazgul, other than that they’re in the game right now. But there is a wide variety of enemies you get to encounter. We’ve shown a few. We showed the Olog-Hai. We showed our drake. But back to structure, it’s an open-world sandbox game. There’s going to be all kinds of emergent missions occurring based on the story campaign, based on side missions, and based on your interactions with the AI and the nemesis system. More gameplay opportunities are going to present themselves. You’ll be doing a number of different things within each region. Just one of your goals is taking down these fortresses, one of the big meta-goals.

quote:

Anybody can be an uber-enemy. Somebody can get promoted to that. Everybody can start out as a grunt and get promoted all the way up to overlord..We’ve spent a lot more time focusing on building up the nemesis system so that we don’t need those, as you say, bespoke enemies (ed note: pregenerated NPCs like the Black Hand).

quote:

One of the most exciting things when we talk about Shadow of War versus of Shadow of Mordor—why is it called Shadow of War? Well, one reason is because we’re not just in Mordor anymore. We’re going to the last human city in Gondor in this time period. Even just the idea that we’re going to a city—we’ll actually be playing in this massive city.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
Real hyped for this, but I am slightly disappointed that they didn't include even more enemy variety. More types of orcs and monsters are cool, but I want to see Haradrim and Easterlings. I like the idea of being able to chop through endless amounts of orcs, but as soon as you run into different kinds of armies, you have to switch up your strategies. Haradrim could be excellent skirmishers while Easterlings are armed (and armored) to the goddamn teeth. The real difficulty comes in once they start combining forces. I mean, it seems like they've already gone full-fanfiction at this point, so screw it, let's see ALL of Sauron's forces in action.

But as a much more likely feature, as long as they include the in-game screenshot tool that they did in the first one and Mad Max, then I will probably play this game for more hours than is healthy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you guys think that it should say in the thread title that its a sequel to Shadow of Mordor? The name of the game doesn't really lead you to believe that, but otoh i'm not sure it really matters. People probably hear about the game first and THEN go looking for the thread.

Also they revealed there will be difficulty modes in an interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EkwyTlXY_U).

Hell yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well it's not Easterlings or Haradrim, but one of the fortresses in the GB video was Minas Tirith itself, so presumably there will at least be some non-orc enemies.

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys think that it should say in the thread title that its a sequel to Shadow of Mordor? The name of the game doesn't really lead you to believe that, but otoh i'm not sure it really matters. People probably hear about the game first and THEN go looking for the thread.

I mean, pretty much everyone in Games played SoM and "Suffer me now!" was a pretty memorable line, it's probably fine.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.

Orv posted:

Well it's not Easterlings or Haradrim, but one of the fortresses in the GB video was Minas Tirith itself, so presumably there will at least be some non-orc enemies.

Nazgul have already been confirmed, but I worry that they will fall into the same scripted boss fight trap that the other guys did in the first game. The ones that were so boring I can't even remember their names.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mace Guy and Shadow Guy, keep up man!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Holy poo poo, Gollum was in the first trailer. Pause it at 24 seconds in and look on the far left.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I do wonder where the story can really go in this game. We can't actually conquer Mordor and Gondor before the events of lotr even happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I do wonder where the story can really go in this game. We can't actually conquer Mordor and Gondor before the events of lotr even happen.

Probably some kind of puppet situation where Sauron is using you to unite an army for himself. I mean that's what I thought watching the gameplay video.

BUt in reality who cares? You get to command an army of orcs against other orcs

• Locked thread