Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game seems like it gets one of the most important parts of a stealth game right, letting you see lots of little snippets of other peoples' stories while you run around quietly doing your business.

Also it's really neat to see a game that introduces the main character as a genuine artist of his craft which is actually about running through the hits a dozen ways to find more creative ways to pull them off cleanly or dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the rate this is going, shady/powerful individuals are going to start paying specifically for bodyguards to watch over them whenever they get sick to their stomach.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like to imagine that rather than his usual comedy schtick of '47 is better at being whoever he's impersonating than they are' 47 just assumes EVERYONE murders all their problems, and so went with that as his opener. :allears:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My god.

This is beautiful.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White Coke posted:

This is a pretty great summation; Hitman 2016 is a Third Person Adventure Shooter. If only it had more creative player deaths too.

Actually, you ARE the creative Sierra style deaths for your targets.

Coming in millions of frustrating flavors like 'Haha, you didn't check the Plague Doctor before using the VHS tape!' and 'Wet Power Strip Out Of loving Nowhere'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think, between this and Thief (the originals, not the lovely reboot), stealth games where part of the point is that your character considers themselves an artist and will go out of their way to remain professional and clean at their job are a good conceit to go for.

Like sure, you can get messy and get away with it, but such things should be beneath you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It seems like that mission was really easy, but slow.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

I love the motivation Diana gives us for this. You're not working for some altruistic loyalist group who managed to scrape some money together, you're helping an entrenched corporation keep their contracts. I don't know, it just seems real-er.

It's a nice way to stay gritty while still giving the whole thing an air of being up against unsympathetic assholes that it's okay to pop in the head.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ChaosArgate posted:

In hindsight I should've expected something like this after they murdered Sleeping Dogs and United Front Games. :( Pouring one out for Hitman and hoping they're going to implement a proper offline mode.

Wait, Square murdered Sleeping Dogs? Sleeping Dogs was like, the best open world crime game anyone ever made.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That game had so many great touches. Little stuff like how you didn't actually lose accuracy on your pistol by hammering the button as hard as you could like a proper hong kong action hero really sold it.

Appropriate that I learn of UFG's death here, in the assassin thread.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Did Hitman sell badly? Everyone says it's awesome and I was gonna pick it up due to this thread when I had the spare cash.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamnit, Thi4f was incredibly, insultingly bad.

Give me more Wei Shen Beats Everyone Up, goddamnit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Activision-Blizzard buys out Hitman, makes an OSS game set during WW2.

Orcs are featured at some point.

I really want a Weird War 2 assassination/spy game. You must put together dossiers on the Nazis' newest insane occult trump card and quietly find a way to slip in and kill it, time and again.

After all, what's a vampire hunter but another form of hitman?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really enjoy them leaning ever harder into the running joke that 47 is better at whatever he needs to do to disguise himself than the guy he's replacing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nalesh posted:

I love this map so god drat much, so many lovely things you can do :allears:

It's also incredibly pretty.

In general I've been really impressed with how well they pull off exotic, cool places in this game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, why does 47 do this job? It's clearly not for the money.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dabir posted:

It's literally what he was made for, wasn't it?

It's nice to see a horrific abomination of science created for a villainous purpose find a positive outlet for his pre-programmed dispositions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Both the Outsourcing and the last kill just felt goddamn great.

For a guy who doesn't talk much, 47 makes a pretty good impression whenever he decides to speak.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Weeble posted:

So.... despite getting so pissy about Ken being there, and his whole spiel about his father keeping an eye on him yadda yadda yadda...

Jordan's very first action after accidentally doing the thing, is to call crying to Daddy to fix his mistakes again.

"It happened again."

The whole point of his character seems to be that he's a privileged, troubled brat who has never actually faced any kind of consequences for the things he's done, which has only made his issues worse because they aren't treated, just enabled and accomodated. I mean, right after listening to a tape of his girlfriend being murdered he tells 47 'I made a stupid mistake! I shouldn't die for it!'. You know, the thing he did to someone else for much less.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samovar posted:

'How could there a cabal of shadowy power players influencing world policies through intimidation and murder?' asks operative of an international assassination organisation.

I suspect it was more '...And we didn't already know about it?'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

47 knows enough about everything to blend in as anyone. :allears:

I think there was a line about that in a past game, something like 'I can be whatever I am operationally required to be.'

If he ever gets sick of killing people (odd thought, I know) at least he has dozens of fallback careers open to him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

I'm surprised the overheating hot springs wasn't used to drown the lawyer lady or boil her alive.The yoga thing was funny, though.

I think it's important for stealth games to give you something of a sense of playfulness. 47 has it through a sense of comic timing and letting people do their own pre-mortem one-liners for him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

47's final weapon: Being Agent 47.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, oh boy. I missed that this was starting. I know much, much too much about Absolution, especially its development, mechanics and the unbelievably awful plot. Ask me anything about the Deep Hitman Lore, or the many, many ways this game is broken, or all the somehow even worse ideas that didn't make it into release.

Please tell me about the worse ideas that did not make it into this awful thing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It seems like winning straight gunfights is astonishingly easy in Absolution.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kind of doubt 10 million even comes close to covering the cost of blowing up his own goddamn building.

The key is that this is lovely 'grindhouse' stuff so an impressive sounding number and a suitcase full of money as a macguffin are all that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

An actual plot about a guy who is intentionally pissing off an international murder agency so he can write off the loss of all his unprofitable goons and buildings as insurance and tax write-offs would kind of rule.