Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I wish the Russians hadn't mind controlled Hillary to be so insanely bad.

alternatively

I wish the CIA pretending to be the Russians hadn't mind controlled Hillary to be so insanely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

WarEternal posted:

A private entity that is solely employed by the government is obviously way different than paying the government to do it, because The One True Way tells us that private is always better than big gubbmint.

The Freedom of Information Act, oversight committees and eventual declassification are direct threats to our proud CIA heroes, so theyre just doing what anybody would do and privatizing to further increase the security of vital spy operations

The leaks are just growing pains, please ignore them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The memes Jack! The memes!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

This is why you need private contractors operating out of off the grid blacksites. This kind of information shakes the faith of the American people in their government, so we need to make sure they never find out about it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

call to action posted:

It's me, the guy who thinks the CIA are on the up-and-up despite all evidence to the contrary

The CIA are freedom loving patriots out there making the hard choices to commit torture and warcrimes and the occasional false flag so the rest of us dont have to. How dare you impugn their honor.

For real though in this particular instance what would be the end game here?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

babypolis posted:

if you pay attention the only people who are whole hog on the retarded russia bullshit are defeated hillarymen who want some kind of explanation as to how their invincible goddess hillary clinton was defeated by a braindead rapist

drat those Russians and their mind control powers! If only they hadn't forced the DNC to write many bad emails to each other, and then forced Hillary to ignore policy positions in favor of continuously attacking Trump while avoiding putting in campaign appearances in crucial states! Those Russian hackers fed bad data into the Clinton Super Computer that told her to do dumb things! Its not her fault if she actually did the dumb things!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Hey wouldn't it be crazy to acknowledge that Hillary Clinton ran a horrible campaign AND be deeply disturbed by Russia's obvious tampering in the election and labyrinth connections with the Trump administration? Too bad that these are completely contradictory views that are impossible to hold simultaneously!

Oh yeah, its bad that Trump and Russia are closely connected as an ongoing issue, but I still don't understand how Russia tampered with the election or what impact that tampering supposedly had. They didn't, as far as anyone can show, fabricate any evidence. Hand wringing about Russia hacking the election always feels like looking for any excuse except Hillary was real bad.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

They hacked the GOP and released zero emails now tell us about how its because the Republican party is just that much cleaner and well run and they couldn't find any dirt on Trump

Oh no, more bad news about Trump and how Trump is bad. That would have sunk him for sure. And obviously Russia had a favorite candidate in the race.

But again, how did Russia actually influence the election? They didn't hack the voting machines, they didn't assassinate anyone (RIP Vince Foster), they didn't feed anyone false information. At worst they revealed how poo poo the DNC was, something most people already suspected. Is the argument that the DNC never expected people to find out how bad they were?

E: Yeah, its troubling a foreign power involved itself in a sovereign nation's election and is wasn't the US doing it to someone else for once. But how did Russia actually influence the election? The CIA would have tried something more direct like assassination or putting a dead hooker in the bedroom. Russia, uh, leaked some internal documents? Maybe don't have lovely internal documents?

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Mar 10, 2017

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Such as?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

dnc actually got hacked when they opened a file named Trumpsmurderedchildprostitutes.txt.exe

When John Podesta clicked on an email link that asked him to verify his password

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Again, yes, its real bad that a foreign power interfered in an election, although also very ironic that it finally happened to the US. But that interference didn't seem to have any impact and lots of people seem to want to blame the Trump Presidency on the Russians instead of Hillary Clinton being a sentient pile of festering poo poo. Except the Russians didn't really do anything of note. I mean yeah, they were there and thats bad, but everything was already going to hell without them.

Also lol at complaining that those dastardly Russians released incriminating information about the DNC. Poor DNC. That incriminating information should have never seen the light of day! Thats *certainly* the issue we should be concerned about here!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gringostar posted:

but seriously how about we accept wikileaks as what it is which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the fsb run by a rapist white supremacist and not trust whatever they have to say the instant they say it, and call putin out for being what he is which is a far right oligarch dictator that is pro-fascism and pro-global warming and not trust him either

Trump bad, Putin bad, Russia bad, CIA bad, Wikileaks bad, DNC bad, Hillary bad.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sexpot posted:

Daily reminder that this is all about Putin not Russia and you still haven't provided the "Let's declare a unilateral war on them there Russkies" transcript

Is there a real political difference between Putin and Russia though? The man has spent decades concentrating political power in his hands.

And since when has the US ever needed a unilateral declaration of war to go meddle in someone else's sovereign politics in order to get a regime more friendly to them? The US has a long history of loving with other nations, we're just surprised that someone tried to gently caress with us for once. Not that Russia actually accomplished anything with their meddling, but its still alarming that they even tried. And of course the Trump administration's ongoing ties are worrying.

Basically the US is in the uncomfortable position of feeling 1/100th the outrage of basically every other nation we've ever interacted with over some foreign power trying to influence sovereign elections.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

the actual point is that painting the hacks as a response solely to rhetoric from American politicians is stupid and completely wrong when you notice they're doing the exact same thing to most of Europe and have been doing so for ten years

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/09/russia-engineered-election-hacks-europe/96216556/

Yeah. Both Russia and the US interfere in the sovereign affairs of foreign nations on a daily basis, and now we're super surprised that Russia is targeting the US (even though the US already targets Russia). Its a shocking loss of global power that now other countries think they can gently caress with the US the way the US casually fucks with other countries. Influencing foreign elections is for the US only!

Nevermind that Russia didn't really accomplish anything with the hacks, the real outrage is the sudden feeling of being on the same tier as all those other pleb nations we push around

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Guys, I have to confess something. I once thought negative things about Hillary Clinton. And then she lost the election. So its all my fault really. Yep, those things are super linked as cause and effect.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I do understand the concern about Russia trying to rig the election, really. Its just weird that people keep wanting to blame the election on Russia for placing a stink bomb when the Clinton campaign tied a noose, anchored it firmly to the stair rail, got a stool from the kitchen, climbed up on it, put the noose around its neck and kicked the stool out from underneath while shooing off any rescue attempts on live television.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yinlock posted:

[extremely dem thread voice] multiple things can't be problems at the same time, don't be an idiot

Its very troublesome that someone tied my shoes together and made me trip! This is a very real problem and not something to take lightly! Now how am I going to run away from the nuclear missile due to hit any second now?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sexpot posted:

Did I just hallucinate the e-mails getting talked about for months while people chanted "Lock her up"

Those were her State Department emails that were subpoenaed by Congress because of Mr. Ben Ghazi, no hacking required. Those had been an ongoing thing for years and a perfect example of Clinton's fundamental inability to just come clean and defuse a situation. Those emails were much ado about nothing, except for the usual disparities of power where bosses get away with what a junior staffer would have been crucified over.

The emails the Russians provided were private DNC communications during the primary, which revealed the DNC was playing favorites and had been making some dumb rear end decisions from the very beginning. Nothing in those rose to the level of criminality, although it did confirm what a lot of people had suspected and soured many on the Democrats in general. It probably cost them a few votes, but the not showing up to a union hall or town hall in battleground states in favor of getting in more $500/plate fundraisers during the final months of the campaign did way more damage. And I think the polarizing thing about the DNC emails is whether you're more mad at the DNC for loving up the primary and being a bunch of morons who all wrote those emails or whether you're more mad at the Russians for showing people how the sausage is made.

I get that its easy to conflate the two if you werent really paying attention and just want to be reactionary about RUSSIA! while holding to the belief that Hillary Did Nothing Wrong.

Fullhouse posted:

I still really want to see the RNC emails as they melted down from the rise of Trump and wikileaks denying that to us is their greatest injustice imo

The RNC melted down on live TV though. Reince Priebus became the living embodiment of the 'This Is Fine' dog while Republicans openly rebelled against Trump and denounced him. The emails would be hilarious, yeah, but I don't think they'd reveal anything in particular.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

E: ^^^ Because she was insanely bad my friend. Legendarily bad. She lost to Donald Trump.

sexpot posted:

Are you starting to see where this is going

That there exists idiots who want so much to blame the failure of their legendarily bad candidate on foreign influence that they're willing to ignore how history actually unfolded?

"Lock her up" was a thing way before the DNC leak. Bernie commented that America was tired of Hillary's drat emails from the Benghazi investigation at the first debate in October of 2015 (turns out they weren't). The DNC leaks were a completely separate thing from July of 2016 that did not involve Mr. Ghazi.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

shut the gently caress up about Hillary nobody cares about her garbage campaign dude

The people trying to use the specter of the RUSSIANS to justify why garbage candidate Hillary Clinton lost still do apparently.

quote:

there's clearly other issues here like the fact that Russia is using the rules of Western society against it to undermine the basis of our institutions and destabilize NATO and the EU for their own ends

Yes, Russia's activities are concerning. True thing. 100%. Russia bad. They didn't swing the election, but its concerning that they tried. If only we had a government with enough of an opposition party left to do something about it. But apparently the Russians systemically sabotaged the entire Democratic Party right off a cliff into either irrelevancy or mewling submission for the next 4 to 8 years. Just lol if you think anyone is going to do anything about the Trump administration's extensive ties to Russia beyond a sternly worded email.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gringostar posted:

hey guys, china would never occupy a country because it wants to...

russia would never invade and occupy a country because it wants to or bomb the gently caress out of civilians because a ME dictator asked them to ...

:laffo:

holy poo poo mao you're a loving moron

Truly all world powers are garbage.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The rest of the quote posted:

There are idiots who want so much to blame the failure of their legendarily bad candidate on foreign influence that they're willing to ignore how history actually unfolded?

sexpot posted:

This is key, yes

Oh hey its you.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

who is doing this???

The bad Dems are coming from inside the thread

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Not a Step posted:

The people trying to use the specter of the RUSSIANS to justify why garbage candidate Hillary Clinton lost still do apparently.

Main Paineframe posted:

who is doing this???

Gringostar posted:

but if acknowledging one thing besides hillary bad caused her to lose that would mean that other things besides one thing and hillary bad might be why she lost :ohdear:

sexpot posted:

Did I just hallucinate the e-mails getting talked about for months while people chanted "Lock her up"

Not a Step posted:

The bad Dems are coming from inside the thread

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Russia bad.
Putin bad.
Wikileaks bad.
Clinton bad.
Trump bad.
Thread bad.
:discourse:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

rudatron posted:

Most intelligent voting systems have the idea of a party baked into it from the start, which is better than simply expecting autonomous politicians all day erryday, like the founding fathers thought you'd get.

The Founding Father were really kind of dumb in many ways.

That or malicious conniving bastards who wanted everyone else to *think* they weren't going to form a political party so they could unleash their political party and take the others by surprise.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gringostar posted:

:agreed:

voter suppression is bad

Not having a message that motivates your own voters is pretty bad too though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

Putin's goal was to depress turnout by undermining faith in the US electoral system as well as to diminish Clinton and advantage Trump.

• Locked thread