Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
russia is a bad country with terrible behavior.

the usa is also a bad country with terrible behavior.

dnc emails were released using incredibly basic and rudimentary methods that showed how unlikeable the organization itself was, which may, in turn, possibly have had an impact on an election between the two least popular candidates in history.

i guess my question is what do all these sudden anti-russian hawks want to do about it?

like, what is the solution to "making sure it doesn't happen again?"

sanctions? don't we already have sanctions on russia? they own the energy market in europe, i doubt there is much we can unilaterally do to impair them. try to get others to join us? first of all why would they want to, second how do you get energy dependent nations to rebel against their provider, third do you really think its a good idea to try to gently caress with russia's income like that? that's grounds for serious escalation and incredibly dangerous for everyone involved and would do considerably more to endanger the world.

make sure the dnc has basic cyber security? cool, that private organization should have had better security. we agree, but that doesn't much seem like something the government has to implement.

increase the powers of the security state to monitor all internet traffic so we can trace all the haxxx? is that a thing? is that a thing we want? i was under the impression that most people wanted to reduce the security state.

retaliate against russia? well, that's just stupid.

so seriously, what response is there to "maybe some possibly russian backed hackers released some emails that may have possibly had some sort of effect on the election that we certainly cannot directly track?"

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Gringostar posted:

but seriously how about we accept wikileaks as what it is which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the fsb run by a rapist white supremacist and not trust whatever they have to say the instant they say it, and call putin out for being what he is which is a far right oligarch dictator that is pro-fascism and pro-global warming and not trust him either

wikileaks is already widely disparaged by the media. sure, be weary of what they release, but if what they release is true, say some damning emails from the dnc, then its literally impossible to ignore true information because "oh hey that source can sometimes be hosed up." the contents of the email release is what is considered damning, not the drop or who dropped it. its foolish to think people would see something like that and say "i'm not going to read these or be upset by their contents because i don't like who released them." leaks happen and are a part of the digital age.

what does "call out putin" even mean? have the president go on live tv and say "putin is bad. he is a far right oligarch etc." that's loving suicide for international relations. the point is to avoid another cold war. plus, once you've directed the anger of the us citizenry against a foreign power you're going to have to actually do something. its a democracy where security and force are treated higher than anything. once you hype up the violent military loving populace, then what?

like what is the endgame with "calling out putin?" how does that not lead to potentially catastrophic outcomes? how does it ever defuse? is the hope that putin will apologize and promise to leave us alone, because lol if that's your plan. is the plan to just heighten tension with russia higher and higher daring them to make another mistake with the only outlet left to us being military intervention?

it all just seems stupid and shortsighted. people are upset that the democrats loving suck and they're looking for any reason to shift that blame elsewhere

• Locked thread