Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Didn't the government's 27 page paper on the russian hacking not even talk about it but just get pissy about Assange being interviewed on RT for like 15 pages (yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
literally no hard evidence and basically no conjecture. Nothing circumstantial.

Guccifer 2.0 may or may not be a Romanian who can read Cyrillic. Ergo Putin because only russians read cyrillic nvm like 4,000,000 romanians read cyrllic lmao

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
ACtually, he's right

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
There is like the weakest possible circumstantial evidence that Russia was attempting to do anything except protect their own interests by speaking to the only candidate who didn't run on the platform of escalating tension w/ Russia.

And if Hill Folk are concerned about foreign influence from despots looking to protect their interests, why did Saudi Arabian princes giving Hillary 25+ Million Dollars not seem like way loving weirder?

Russia's government blows but the conspiracy theory that Russia has somehow swung 3 states away from Clinton or that they are now writing policy have literally 0 evidence of any sort

If Clinton won and fox news went on every day about saudi influence and how they bought her ads which swayed voters unfairly and how the state department kept visiting saudis etc can you imagine the ridicule and incredulity that normal americans would feel

if Obama couldn't even offer up evidence other than "RT was anti-fracking in the midwest which hurt Clinton's pro fracking platform :( :( :(" (seriously read the "hacking evidence" paper) then they should drop it

it's pure loving sour grapes and making it harder to attack trump on what actually happened or show the dems that most states don't like them

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Like Sessions voluntarily committing perjury is funny as heck but he's not potentially getting ousted for talking to a diplomat because that in itself isn't illegal or immoral

Flynn and all these dudes knew that talking to foreign powers looking to grow their global and regional strength by supporting a more isolationist American executive wouldn't play well with common American people so they hilariously hosed up by saying they weren't doing it but it's not illegal or even really A Bad Thing to talk to diplomats and foreign leaders as part of the executive branch, unless you live in Europe and want cheap gas or you're ukranian which virtually 0 americans fall into

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

what exactly would have been ethical for russia to do when one potential leader of the strongest military force in the world is declaring you their mortal enemy

putting aside the obv. trump corruption, its pretty drat silly to blub about the fact that a country is working against you, when you declared that country your greatest enemy

we just aren't used to countries being able to retaliate against us in any way

Yeah

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
it's a loving disgrace that we elected a sycophant who won't kill these Goddamn Foreguners That I Suddenly Hate

Worse still that these foreigners would thank him. Shameless

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Like I understand why the russia govt. did what they did from a realpolitik standpoint. it's a sensible maneuver, and it took everyone by surprise since we all assumed the CIA/NSA/other American institutions were vastly superior to foriegn cyber influence.

but just because it was a rational chess move by our geopolitical rival doesn't mean that we shouldn't address it, try and undo its damage, and make sure it doesn't happen again

hi there's like a million ways to twist this narrative and it just tastes awful when they all lead to "we must defeat putin for stealing a hillary executive from us"

like what evidence do you have? about whatever? any of it with evidence? I'm not saying confirmed just like something beyond media conjecture...

Russian politicians / diplomats talked to trump and memembers of his executive - true, but banal

anythign else?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
oh but flynn yeah he hosed up tho for real

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think the current POTUS and his executive are taking advantage of a sudden warming of relations with a despot (putain) to further their strategic goals and deepen personal pockets and its bad tho

but not really any different from anything since time immemorial and none of it has to do with clinton or her failure of a party

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't think a single human said what's in your quote

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
she lost by 3 states

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Not a Step posted:

Those were her State Department emails that were subpoenaed by Congress because of Mr. Ben Ghazi, no hacking required. Those had been an ongoing thing for years and a perfect example of Clinton's fundamental inability to just come clean and defuse a situation. Those emails were much ado about nothing, except for the usual disparities of power where bosses get away with what a junior staffer would have been crucified over.

The emails the Russians provided were private DNC communications during the primary, which revealed the DNC was playing favorites and had been making some dumb rear end decisions from the very beginning. Nothing in those rose to the level of criminality, although it did confirm what a lot of people had suspected and soured many on the Democrats in general. It probably cost them a few votes, but the not showing up to a union hall or town hall in battleground states in favor of getting in more $500/plate fundraisers during the final months of the campaign did way more damage. And I think the polarizing thing about the DNC emails is whether you're more mad at the DNC for loving up the primary and being a bunch of morons who all wrote those emails or whether you're more mad at the Russians for showing people how the sausage is made.

I get that its easy to conflate the two if you werent really paying attention and just want to be reactionary about RUSSIA! while holding to the belief that Hillary Did Nothing Wrong.

The RNC melted down on live TV though. Reince Priebus became the living embodiment of the 'This Is Fine' dog while Republicans openly rebelled against Trump and denounced him. The emails would be hilarious, yeah, but I don't think they'd reveal anything in particular.
No evidence has been provided that Russians, citizens or government, hacked the DNC

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Fullhouse posted:

shut the gently caress up about Hillary nobody cares about her garbage campaign dude

there's clearly other issues here like the fact that Russia is using the rules of Western society against it to undermine the basis of our institutions and destabilize NATO and the EU for their own ends

Did you ever think maybe America is a garbage imperialist that imposes its will all over the globe

To be fair I don't want Putin in charge more than I don't want the much weaker trump but

Actually NATO blows and American hegemony blows(not for me personally, it benefits me personally)

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
IMF world bank wto NATO etc they go away and their Chinese and Russian equivalents come in might be good???

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Hillary was big on micro lending right? Also I don't think China or Russia bombed several countries that posed literally no threat just because some Saudi price asked a favor or w/e

Like America (Washington and our banks) is p much the bad guys

Maybe we got some good NGOs idk

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It turns out all governments exist to oppress human will and protect and normalize the systems of extracting surplus value...

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

comedyblissoption posted:

jimmy dore on this russian hysteria poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsch129Zwg

this is good actually

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Gringostar posted:

wow, someone with a youtube channel has an opinion :jerkbag:

also, russia/putin interfering with the election does not make hillary less bad but apparently that's a bridge too far for some here

I kno you're like doubling down on being a retard or w/e but if you like hillary I find it bizarre and pathological but it's like, up to you if abortions and UHC are bad and the death penalty and mass incarceration good but

I think it's factually false that russia did anything to change our election outcome but I will change my mind if you cite evidence or unequivocal claims by someone who would have access to such evidence

and it really hurts america's progress to dwell on a boogy man so that abuela can hide her shame... ?

:coal:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
actually thug lessons owns and has owned since LF

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

JeffersonClay posted:

I don't think you know what the word gaslighting means. Yes, tying Trump to Italy or Norway would be a lot less effective than tying him to Russia because Italy and Norway did not successfully hack our election system 5 months ago. This is the dumbest poo poo imaginable.

this isn't true even remotely tho?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Even if you think that a private political organization's internal emails are an 'election system' AND that releasing the incredibly milquetoast details contained within had any effect whatsoever

there's still no evidence russian individuals or government were involved in any way

The government's official evidence is that RT gave an interview to Assange once, and that Hillary Clinton is pro fracking

those don't really create a trail back to Putin to any sane person

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

JeffersonClay posted:

Oh no what will happen to the Dem's political capital?!?

I can tell you that I know several likely Dem voters who are ridiculously tired of the russia story because of xenophobia even if its somewhat effective of dismantling the trump admin. They're not dumb everyday people like you tho so

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ginsberg in 1956 posted:

America it's them bad Russians. Them Russians them Russians and them Chinamen. And them Russians.
The Russia wants to eat us alive. The Russia's power mad. She wants to take our cars from out our garages.
America this is quite serious.
America this is the impression I get from looking in the television set.
America is this correct?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's literally the same level as benghazi or obama birth certificate or email server where one side needs the scandal to be true so badly that their retard base believes it without consideration or evidence. Media is the same as fox news perpetuating dumb stuff

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you're right two of those things actually happened

- With Evidence!

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
did u ever think maybe ur hatred of trump is causing you to accepted retarded things out of hand just like literally every other person in human history

sexpot posted:

LOL actually no

oh ok good job

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Putin and his gov. are often bad yeah

That's not evidence of them having secret influence in the white house in and of itself

also you're making the mistake that political allegiance or effectiveness works on consistency or logic - neither party cares about its own hypocrisy until it makes them look weak to their enemies

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
like no one is trying to defend putin or say that its good that trump seems to admire him

It's more that so far this looks like a politically motivated witch hunt couched on a appeal to a historically american specific russophobia which is not beneficial to our democracy and the only reason it gains traction is a specific party desperately needs to delegitimize Trump for various reasons, among which is to deflect from the fact that they don't have anything to offer the American people, except that They're Not Trump, a platform on which they were defeated

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Clinton being terrible also doesn't become not true because Russia, last I checked the accusation wasn't that they'd tampered with voting machines to rig the election, and Clinton did still lose to the giant orange baby, but maybe having the executive closely tied with another, largely hostile, country is a good enough reason to not dismiss their oppositiom to their meddling as 'xenophobia'

lol jesus christ what meddling

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

this is sub alex jones level GET IT TOGETHER

I'm IRL lolin' at how insane this is https://docs.google.com/document/d/13dd0UKXIWsR5I1SczNgUCMGONUgN7y4OqIQ6qrgLZlE/edit lmao

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Deflecting concrete accusations against Putin with 'that's just russophobia' is pure ideology

maybe you're a retard so I'll spell it out for you and all the other retards who might happen upon this god forsaken thread

Americans doing business or talking to russians is not in itself bad, you have to prove wrong doing - this is the russophobia

edit: I don't care if you prove it you need evidence, even circumstantial evidence, of wrong doing

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 09:02 on Mar 24, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Like here's Good Circumstantial Evidence of Wrongdoing:

Russian oligarch and ex-CEO of russian petroleum giant Gazprom donates $135 million to a trump charity, along with other multimillion dollar donations from current managers at Gazprom

Gazprom hires Ivanka for $500,000 to speak at their event

One year later Trump approves sale of natural gas rights to massive deposit off coast of alaska

I think people could look at that and go yeah, that's probably bad in an Actually Bad way

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/cash-flowed-to-clinton-foundation-as-russians-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html?_r=0

oh, poo poo

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Manafort, Trump's campaign manager, resigned after the AP revealed he took kickbacks directly from russian oligarchs linked to putin: https://www.apnews.com/122ae0b5848345faa88108a03de40c5a/Manafort's-plan-to-'greatly-benefit-the-Putin-Government?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

The DNC leaks were released through wikileaks, the site run by a man who both makes a regular appearance of russian state owned television, and has specifically requested the protection of Russian state security forces while he stays in that embassy http://www.salon.com/2017/01/07/donald-trump-julian-assange-and-russia-how-theyre-connected-and-how-they-changed-an-election/

Trump himself has received loans from russian banks, and the russian mob operates out of Trump tower

You're ill seek help

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
lmao

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Interesting troll but overall B-

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
its bad and dumb but they're a private political club not a gov. institution

(lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I want so badly to outlaw private political clubs from sharing funds or colluding it owuld really gently caress america up if individuals ran on their own merits not a (D) or (R)

• Locked thread