Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Kind of. Maybe.

I recently renewed my US passport and it came back with a printing error. In my photo, it appears that my head and the background were split into two separate layers and printed separately. My head is offset about a half inch to the left and a third of an inch down from where it's supposed to be in the background. As a result, I'm a little nervous to travel with this thing. I could see a border agent getting a little suspicious about it.

Has anybody ever experienced this? What's the best way to proceed? My passport came with some info including a phone number at the State Department, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to get through to a real person. Another possibility would be contacting my congressional representatives and utilizing their constituent support services. Or maybe I'm just worrying too much? Given that I'm travelling to five different countries in May/June, I'd rather eliminate the possibility of a hangup.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
A passport issued with a data error (e.g., name, sex, or place of birth) or printing error (e.g., data is missing on the biographical page, discoloration, crooked printing, etc.) can be corrected at no charge if the passport is still valid.

To correct a data or printing error:
Complete Form DS-5504.
Submit form by mail with your passport, one color photo, and evidence of the error (e.g. your U.S. birth certificate showing the correct spelling of your last name).
You will not have to submit any fees unless you request Expedited Service.
The validity of the new, corrected passport depends on when you report the error.

If... Then...
Reported within one year of issue date The new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date it is issued.
Reported after one year of issue date The new passport will be valid until the expiration of the original, incorrect passport.

Forms here: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/forms.html

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
PS, to clarify, typically DS 5504 only indicates lettered printing errors for things like name/address. You should attached a signed document indicating that the picture is crooked and split into different layers and an updated passport photo. This will be processed automatically as expedited.

Alternatively, you can visit a regional processing agency to do the above if you are near one.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Thank you, very helpful! :tipshat:

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I don't even think google could have given a better answer than this. ntan1 out here killin it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Beautiful advice ntan1! The only thing I'll add is ALWAYS check your passports and visas for mistakes, I've seen the Brazilian consulate grant visas with wrong info, wrong photo and even in the wrong passport!

• Locked thread