Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Bregor posted:

Yeah I'm already noticing the physical and magical ones making a difference in Ch.2. It does seem like a weird thing to add, it has no relationship to the Tarot card theme and is just really random.

Also, a lot of the voice actors seem very similar with their delivery. Nybeth in particular was disappointing.

I took a hard swerve towards the Japanese voiceovers and they've been solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bregor posted:

Okay, so early Chapter 1 impressions:

- Similarly, the blue cards kind of suck? The ability and crit ones don't seem to help that much and they just visually clog up the battlefield.

Even in chapter 1, the boosts from blue buff cards is very noticeable so IDK what you're doing differently. In the beast tamer fight I picked up 2 attack cards on Sara and her damage doubled, or more, against most targets. Stuff like the skill cards means you can have meditate or phalanx firing at or near 100% of the time a character acts too.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Even with one crit card, I've been hitting crits a high percentage of the time. It's to the point where I've been scrambling to prevent the AI from getting them.

If anything, while I love everything about the remake so far, my main complaint has to be that all boss battles from Chapter 3 onwards feel like they slapped a ton of artificial difficulty. I like the level caps, but when they force you to fight one level under (2 levels for the boss), and max out the boss with blue card buffs to the point where they'll one shot you, it goes from challenging to a little bit skewed on the unfair side.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even in chapter 1, the boosts from blue buff cards is very noticeable so IDK what you're doing differently. In the beast tamer fight I picked up 2 attack cards on Sara and her damage doubled, or more, against most targets. Stuff like the skill cards means you can have meditate or phalanx firing at or near 100% of the time a character acts too.

Bregor posted:

Yeah I'm already noticing the physical and magical ones making a difference in Ch.2.

:unsmith:

I also think I just had bad luck early on with the skill ones not firing off Meditate/Phalanx/etc. because now they're doing quite well.

Oh and I just read that Rogues are an enemy-only class now?! WTF! :argh:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

They made some strange changes, for sure. Capping party EXP was a weird move.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Bregor posted:

Oh and I just read that Rogues are an enemy-only class now?! WTF! :argh:

From what I hear they couldn't get the AI to use rogue skills in a satisfactory way before the deadline, so they just dummied out the classmarks and marked the class as enemy-only.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Sankara posted:

They made some strange changes, for sure. Capping party EXP was a weird move.

I will take it over LUCT's class-based leveling.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Neurion posted:

From what I hear they couldn't get the AI to use rogue skills in a satisfactory way before the deadline, so they just dummied out the classmarks and marked the class as enemy-only.

after using Cheat Engine to recruit enemy rogues, it looks like they also got rid of a lot of the Rogue-unique skills as well. Fey Pact remains, along with Speedstar, but my level 19 rogue was missing: Steal, Sneak Attack, Sparagmos, and Booby Trap.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Ace Transmuter posted:

I will take it over LUCT's class-based leveling.

Wish they went further and dropped individual units leveling completely.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Naramyth posted:

Wish they went further and dropped individual units leveling completely.

??? how would that work then? am I missing something, or are you hoping for a level-less system? While that would be interesting in a game, I think that would be an even larger departure from original and PSP's systems than PSP's was from the original. Better to try in a new game, rather than in a remake

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Everyone is matched to Denem so your bench isn’t accidentally 4 levels behind when suddenly the battle size changes.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Naramyth posted:

Everyone is matched to Denem so your bench isn’t accidentally 4 levels behind when suddenly the battle size changes.

That's what the XP charms and training are for.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Neurion posted:

I recruited a Rogue and a Templar with the 100% Recruit Code from a cheat table, both to see how Rogue messes with the AI and to see how Templar works in this version.

Templar seems to work like it did in the PSP version, where they were pretty much reskinned generics with buffed stats (ID 84, for example, is the Cleric). Except unlike the PSP version, where any class without a classmark started at Level 0, all the classes seem functional here.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen Rogues use their skills ever. Especially since they don't have traps in their skillset at Level 28. Even when they're close up, it feels like they'd rather use their shield to bash fools with than use the Special skill they have.

Pyre of Word Salsa fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 17, 2022

Bregor
May 31, 2013

akkristor posted:

after using Cheat Engine to recruit enemy rogues, it looks like they also got rid of a lot of the Rogue-unique skills as well. Fey Pact remains, along with Speedstar, but my level 19 rogue was missing: Steal, Sneak Attack, Sparagmos, and Booby Trap.

As an FF XI player, I'm very upset I can't be a Thief Rogue and just Sneak Attack fools in the kidneys

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I love that they kept the sad sack sprite for the shopkeeper but he greets you so cheerfully. “Oh! There’s a familiar face!” “Take a look around!” *goes back to thinking about nothing but despair*

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Bregor posted:

I love that they kept the sad sack sprite for the shopkeeper but he greets you so cheerfully. “Oh! There’s a familiar face!” “Take a look around!” *goes back to thinking about nothing but despair*

Truly, the essence of a career retail worker.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

As an FYI, I haven't forgotten this LP, and unfortunately waah does not seem to be returning any time soon.

I will, as waah said, go the distance.

You'll see one eyed slayer from me instead.

Just need to finish San Bronsa, then POTD and Roderick, and then it's smooth sailing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

As an FYI, I haven't forgotten this LP, and unfortunately waah does not seem to be returning any time soon.

I will, as waah said, go the distance.

You'll see one eyed slayer from me instead.

Just need to finish San Bronsa, then POTD and Roderick, and then it's smooth sailing.

I expected this. I'm sure that it's personal and not our business, I just hope that waah isn't doing... too badly. I assumed the worst when he was gone for so long.

I really do want this to go to the archives so that I can read it again from the start as one story. I don't want it to die because Reborn has supplanted LUTC.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 13, 2022

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JustJeff88 posted:

I expected this. I'm sure that it's personal and not our business, I just hope that waah isn't doing... too badly. I assumed the worst when he was gone for so long.

I really do want this to go to the archives so that I can read it again from the start as one story. I don't want it to die because Reborn has supplanted LUTC.

The story will go to the archives after the next update. You have my word.

Once I've finished the story fight, I intend to go back through the entries to see if there's any blatant errors in portraits or words.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

tithin posted:

The story will go to the archives after the next update. You have my word.

Once I've finished the story fight, I intend to go back through the entries to see if there's any blatant errors in portraits or words.

I have to ask the follow-up question... can you do it proper justice in just one update? I want it to be complete, but not rushed.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JustJeff88 posted:

I have to ask the follow-up question... can you do it proper justice in just one update? I want it to be complete, but not rushed.

I hope so.

I know vaguely what his plan was for the last entry but he didn't tell me all the people he was bringing on board, so I can't go down the same path he was originally planning, but I still hope to do it justice in my own inimitable fashion.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The Dark Knights are level what?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

oh this is going to be magical, isn't it :allears:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

NullBlack posted:

oh this is going to be magical, isn't it :allears:

I normally don't like video LPs, but he should upload some blooper footage.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I wasn't recording that one, but I'll record the next one to give you a broad idea of what it went like.

Observations: Denam has been over-charmed, he's capable of standing in front of the entire dark knight army and tanking it - with the devolution debuff.

Catiua, who's my second highest statted, can't, she took three knight commander specials to the face and flinched.

Vyce, is a very distant third. I had him playing the role of Arycelle and he would flinch anytime even chaff came close to him.

I'm thinking I might need another full run of POTD for charms to buff them both up to a comparable level.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
tithin, how much would we have to pay you to LP all of Reborn?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well, the cost of doing it would be a new liver.

In all seriousness, I'll be doing a Chaos and a Neutral run once I've got CODA down.

The current CODA run has been a straight C1 -> Coda4 Law run, so I don't have Lord unlocked yet, and I want to get all the achievements.

So I suppose the question would be "what do you define as all of reborn"

Technically we had the Chaos run already on another LP, but I could do that as well if there's demand.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, I guess the "other LP" is currently still readable for me. Which is strange, because I don't have the Archives Upgrade.

but aside from that; even if we have Chaos in a different LP, we don't have a Neutral. And then, if you're going to do two out of the three, why not do all three?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NullBlack posted:

I mean, I guess the "other LP" is currently still readable for me. Which is strange, because I don't have the Archives Upgrade.

but aside from that; even if we have Chaos in a different LP, we don't have a Neutral. And then, if you're going to do two out of the three, why not do all three?

Honestly, I'll likely steamroll all of the story content via autobattle with CODA4 taken care of.

We'll see - no commitments.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Has anyone tried One Vision? I did the patch and loaded it onto my Odin, but I haven't played it. I almost feel bad for the author as they, by an amazing coincidence, were coming to the end right as Reborn was announced. I know that releasing 1.0 that very day was deliberate, but the fact that OV was 99% done when Reborn was announced was not. I wonder sometimes how OV's author felt about that. Talk about overshadowed.

tithin posted:

Well, the cost of doing it would be a new liver.

In all seriousness, I'll be doing a Chaos and a Neutral run once I've got CODA down.

The current CODA run has been a straight C1 -> Coda4 Law run, so I don't have Lord unlocked yet, and I want to get all the achievements.

So I suppose the question would be "what do you define as all of reborn"

Technically we had the Chaos run already on another LP, but I could do that as well if there's demand.

I was kidding, tithin. I genuinely thought that that was obvious - my apologies. Please do not become an alcoholic.

NullBlack posted:

I mean, I guess the "other LP" is currently still readable for me.

Could you link that? I have no idea what you are referring to. I genuinely thought that this was the only LUCT LP ever done.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone tried One Vision? I did the patch and loaded it onto my Odin, but I haven't played it. I almost feel bad for the author as they, by an amazing coincidence, were coming to the end right as Reborn was announced. I know that releasing 1.0 that very day was deliberate, but the fact that OV was 99% done when Reborn was announced was not. I wonder sometimes how OV's author felt about that. Talk about overshadowed.

I was kidding, tithin. I genuinely thought that that was obvious - my apologies. Please do not become an alcoholic.

TOO LATE

quote:

Could you link that? I have no idea what you are referring to. I genuinely thought that this was the only LUCT LP ever done.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503008

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Thank you. Not sure if I never knew of this or just forgot about it.

Rather darkly ironic that waah was the last person to post in it before it went to the archives.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

loving poison?

After I spent the entire LP making GBS threads on it as a status ailment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-m-tZLSLqM

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

JustJeff88 posted:

I did one too but it was back in the bad old waffleimages days and it couldn't be archived :shrug:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

FairGame posted:

I did one too but it was back in the bad old waffleimages days and it couldn't be archived :shrug:

A shame. I've seen so many LPs where the writer could archive them but didn't, and eventually the images are all lost. That's why I'm so strident about saving this one.

This other LUCT LP, was that another victim of the author's apathy, or was that a technical issue?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

RIP waffleimages, died like all photo hosting...

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

waah posted:

I started working on this final battle of the LP and spoiler -

So it turns out this fight is a lot harder than I remember, even with OP characters. I didn't' take it seriously enough, so I will need to find time to tackle it properly without distractions. That didn't stop me from deciding to go ahead and writing the final actual update to the thread.

So we're spitting distance. I'm wrapping this thing up in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so get ready.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the ride my goons and goonettes.

Yikes.

WORLD - Episode 28 – I Find Your Lack of Faith Planning Disturbing

It’s been forever, I’ve got a couple other posts to fill on, let’s get right to this.

Where In the WORLD is Don Quixote

We’re starting the last battle of CODA 4. There are a few special things in the form of an item and title if you complete the final battle with only Denam Don Quixote, Catiua, and Vyce. Yes, this means we’re taking on all of the dark knights with just these three characters, yes it’s hard, and yes it’s awesome.

Any other questions? Great? Let’s do this!

The initial setup starts off as usual so we’re going to just fly through this part. Refer back a couple years updates if you need a refresher. :cripes:

: Hush you smug gently caress! Oh, you’re talking to Volaq. Well then.

: I mean yes, but also there’s some super rare weapons and loot those guys are holding and I think it’d look really good on you guys.

I really enjoy that even with the time travel aspect here, Don Quixote’s sprite change helps you quickly determine past Don vs present Don.

The first thing to do is to use a tarot card so that I can get blinkwalk up on my characters. If you look at that battle line, this is a 3 v 18 battle. We can’t afford to have terrain be in our way.

The opening dialogue for this battle does not change when it’s just you 3 vs the dark knights. I hate that other than relying on online message boards, data mining, etc that there’s no way for you to know that that there is a reason to go after this stage with just the 3 main heroes.

We’re going to continue to use more buffs to prepare. In this case, fortify to protect against the absolute gauntlet of hits we’re going to take.

As a quick reminder, even after 700 hours, my parry skill is only at 2. Don needs all the help he can get.

Same with Catiua. We want her casting spells as strong as possible. Units need to die quickly until we can start isolating dark knights. If you are doing this for their weapons, then the faceless baddies have to die as soon a possible so that you can work on manipulating CHARIOT for their rare weapons.

More so than anything else in this LP, we need to be working on preparing to inflict maximum damage as soon as possible. Prep is everything for this battle.

Ah, our good friend Vainateya’s Talons.

Going like we intended so far good.

Not going to go well for Emilie. Vyce is going to delete this dude after we send him off to the side here.

The level 4 aoe spells from San Bronsa are kinda good. Just FYI.

Well, you see Barbas, through grinding level and stats, all things are possible! :eng101:

Except for him dropping his weapons.

One of the dark knights uses deadscream and causes fear on Don Quixote. It’s not ideal. I’ll just use an item to remove fear since fear both kills your damage and makes you take more damage.

Oh. So remember that whole thing where I said preparation is key? Let’s put a pin in that for now mmkay?

Putting Vyce off on his own is not exactly the best move right now. Probably should have thought this out a bit better, but Vyce is just gonna delete more people. It’s no big deal. To be noted, that even though I’ve been abusing blinkwalk on everyone, rampart aura can still prevent movement via blinkwalk.

Remember when I said we’d kill you last Oz? I li-

Oh. That’s a critical hit and knockback. Oh. Anyways.

Even with fear, having a special where damage scales with TP is really good. Ozma goes bye bye and we’re down 2 dark knights.

Glory to Lodis indeed.

Oooooh! Treasure bag, I wonder what I could be!

: You gotta be kidding me. It’s not my day.

However, the overarching theme here is Catiua is just an AOE spammer of death and spending the time to raise her correctly is so worth it.
There’s just one problem. See that bottom left of the screen above? There might have been a problem with that. Remember this?

Yeah, I don’t have picture of it because I was too busy screaming no but Martym decided that Rending Gale is a good finisher (it is). It’s just very bad and very unfair when he applies it to a very wounded Vyce.
And so. :negative:

With out them all alive, we can’t get the special title or special item from this battle.

If you didn’t catch on to the foreshadowing in this post, preparation is key for this battle. Even being over levelled and extremely stat boosted doesn’t mean it’s a cake walk which is why I’m doing this battle without the AI. So, it’s time to fix our skills, go craft a crap ton of OP items and run this back.

Keep in mind that while I’m breaking this up in to different posts, I’ve written these all up and will be posting the end of this LP over the next few days since the last time I posted I said we’d be done by Christmas… a whole year ago. :cripes:

Next Update – Punkin gets all of our money and Don Quixote goes full on min/max.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So an off note here, 2022 has been a whirlwind for me. I finally got a job that was willing to allow me to grow and show initiative and it turns out that when i'm not bored AF at work, I excel and keep getting new responsibilites! Who would have thought.

So apologies for not responding much or even posting, the whole thing snowballed where I felt awful for not even logging in which made me want to not log in even more. I've got a lot to catch up on, and thoughts later on Reborn (tl;dr - it's 95% better in every way).

I don't have it in me to do all of the heavenly generals, but as i put in the last post, I'm proofreading some of the other posts to put up in the next couple days and at worse, i'll send the written posts to Tithin since i'm terrible.

In the words of John Wick:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

:aaaaa:
It's back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That was unexpected. Welcome back!

You know, "I've been enjoying my life" is not a bad reason to neglect online things. Don't feel too bad.