Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Bifauxnen posted:

Apart from the whole war crime thing, the other thing I hate about the Law choice is it lets loving Vyce start acting all high and mighty and lording it over us like he's all Mr Moral Compass now.

I piss on his noble cause! :v:

Spiting Vyce is a pretty good motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alkarl posted:

Yeah while my heart lies with the Chaos route I feel that the game was written with the Law route in mind.

Also Neutral exists purely to screw you over and punish you for being a wishy washy rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

In the initial version of the game, Chaos was considered the canon route according to Matsuno.

In this game? It is indeed Law that is canon.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Bifauxnen posted:

Apart from the whole war crime thing, the other thing I hate about the Law choice is it lets loving Vyce start acting all high and mighty and lording it over us like he's all Mr Moral Compass now.

I piss on his noble cause! :v:

Still better than Chaos Vyce.

Whiny little punk that he is.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Still better than Chaos Vyce.

Whiny little punk that he is.

Chaos Vyce is just so... vindictive. It's great.

Like, he straight up hates Levi.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I personally just do not like the whole idea of someone's personality completely swapping based on alignment path. There had to be a better way to do it.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Tallgeese posted:

In the initial version of the game, Chaos was considered the canon route according to Matsuno.

In this game? It is indeed Law that is canon.

Really? I did not know that, and that is awesome. I always figured Law was the One True Path, and yeah this version definitely adds enough bells and whistles to it that it kind of screams canon.

Though I suppose there's a reason I still play both versions. Untouchable ninja trained Terror Knight Denim is where its at, and I just don't get the same satisfaction from the PSP version in that sense.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is a guy who is working on a balance patch for this game on GameFAQs, and it sounds pretty good.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tallgeese posted:

I personally just do not like the whole idea of someone's personality completely swapping based on alignment path. There had to be a better way to do it.

Nah I can totally buy Vyce not having any strong principles beyond "gently caress DenamLevi, I'm just gonna do the opposite of whatever he does"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tallgeese posted:

There is a guy who is working on a balance patch for this game on GameFAQs, and it sounds pretty good.

It's not Archael is it? Got a link?

With regards to canon, i'm of the opinion all routes are canon due to Anchor, but we're going to touch on anchor way way waaaaaaaaay down the track

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Link is here: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/75164848

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does Vyce go along with Leonar's scheme on the chaos path then?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Vyce go along with Leonar's scheme on the chaos path then?

Yeah. Vyce exists to be your foil.

If you go Chaos, then Vyce becomes a raving psychotic douche.

He even has a new portrait that looks all sinister-like.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, Vyce is pretty universally considered one of the weakest bits of writing in the game for what should now be obvious reasons.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Neutral Vyce, at least in the original, is awesome.

He just continually ruins everything

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I had hoped to finalise the start of Chapter Two tonight but a combination of headache, lack of time, and story heavy update meant that I wasn't able to finish up tonight.

I'll hopefully get it done tommorow or the day after at the latest.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bifauxnen posted:

Nah I can totally buy Vyce not having any strong principles beyond "gently caress DenamLevi, I'm just gonna do the opposite of whatever he does"

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a bit more nuanced and less extreme. He goes from young untested impetuous rebel to either Righteous Indignation Personified or Complete Raging Psychopath.

The first of which makes some sense at least, as who with any moral compass wouldn't look down on a friend who just decided they would be murdering innocents to further their personal agenda?

The latter just smacks of petulance at his friend be the more morally upstanding one, so he... decides to be even less morally upstanding... :shrug:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

mauman posted:

Yeah. Vyce exists to be your foil.

If you go Chaos, then Vyce becomes a raving psychotic douche.

He even has a new portrait that looks all sinister-like.

It's spoilers but it's also for chaos which is a totally different story so ???, but Chaos Vyce has possibly one of the top 3 one time portraits in the game.

And really I get why people dislike Chaos Vyce, but he's way more effective than most average JRPG nuisance villans.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I don't really dislike Vyce as an antagonist and foil. That distinction goes to Catiua and her wishy-washy ways. At least Vyce stands for something in each of the major paths. And if we ever only got to see one path to the story(like, say, Delita in FFT), we'd probably assume that's how he was always meant to be; as it's the contrast from both paths that makes him seem all over the place.

Catiua stands as the one stereotypical "woe is me" damsel in a sea of far more interesting and far more badass women.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

waah posted:

It's spoilers but it's also for chaos which is a totally different story so ???, but Chaos Vyce has possibly one of the top 3 one time portraits in the game.

And really I get why people dislike Chaos Vyce, but he's way more effective than most average JRPG nuisance villans.

For reference, Chaos Vyce

Law Vyce

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The difference sure is striking

I actually have a hard time believing Law Vyce even exists just cause me and my brother both used to go chaos route so much and got so used to him that way.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Like many of you, I could never stomach going law when the time came so I've always gone chaos and dealt with cunning vyce, and not honorable vyce.

I started a law game that indirectly led to this lp, and got to chapter 3 before starting this, so soon it will all be new to me :greenangel:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm not familiar with this, so what happens to Vyce if you go Neutral? Does he keep the pre-choice portrait, or get a new one?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That leads onto spoiler territory. We'll get to it down the track.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

tithin posted:

That leads onto spoiler territory. We'll get to it down the track.

Oh, okay.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Man Chaos Vyce goes off the deep end, but Law Vyce is suddenly like "This exact moment is when I become A MAN *dons cape*"

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Like many of you, I could never stomach going law when the time came so I've always gone chaos and dealt with cunning vyce, and not honorable vyce.

I started a law game that indirectly led to this lp, and got to chapter 3 before starting this, so soon it will all be new to me :greenangel:

Oh you're in for a treat :allears:

Do you know how to get all of the special characters? The new ones in particular are partly why Law is so amazing (chaos and ESPECIALLY neutral really got the shaft in this department).

Also, this is going to sound weird I know considering what we just did, but for me at least, law Denim/Levi came off as more likable then Chaos Denim/Levi.

waah posted:

I figured THAT much wouldn't really be a problem. I don't plan on going any further than that, I promise.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

mauman posted:

Also, this is going to sound weird I know considering what we just did, but for me at least, law Denim/Levi came off as more likable then Chaos Denim/Levi.

Same. Much like Vyce on the L route, he's forced to confront a lot about his own convictions(not to mention choices) in a way I feel that makes him a better character.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

mauman posted:

Do you know how to get all of the special characters? The new ones in particular are partly why Law is so amazing (chaos and ESPECIALLY neutral really got the shaft in this department).

Yes! I'm looking forward to adding a certain whip user down the track :allears:

Assume I'll be going for all special side characters :)

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

mauman posted:

In fairness, Neutral got the shaft hard in the original version too.

Filthy neutrals. :colbert:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Same. Much like Vyce on the L route, he's forced to confront a lot about his own convictions(not to mention choices) in a way I feel that makes him a better character.

Glad to know others feel this way :hfive:

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 23, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alkarl posted:

In fairness, Neutral got the shaft hard in the original version too.

Filthy neutrals. :colbert:

Never trust a Neutral.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Gridlocked posted:

Never trust a Neutral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-bCIA_vyVc

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter Two - Law

Episode 1 - I will Fear no Reproach

You did it folks, you slaughtered five thousand innocent men

women

children.

Was it worth it, to become everything you spent your entire life trying to kill?

There's blood on your hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wUPHR3i3Ko

:siren: :siren: Probably worth watching this :siren: :siren:

Three Weeks Later

Three weeks have passed since the massacre at Balmamusa. Consumed with a lust for revenge, the Walister took to the battlefield, wresting large swaths of territory from Galgastani control. The Duke's gambit was a success. Yet not all went as the Duke had intended.

Though the atrocity galvanized the Walister, those in the Galgastani camp who opposed their own Heirophant Balbatos did not rise to action. Worse, whispers of the truth behind what happened had begun to spread throughout Galgastan on the lips of Bozeck and his men. Where the duke had sought to sow discord, a new sense of unity now grows among the Galgastani people, even as the stalemate of forces along the Burnham Massif shows no signs of yielding clear victory to either side.

Fearing the truth behind the massacre might reach the ears of his own troops, the duke has pushed forward with a daring strike on Balbatos's stronghold at Coritanae Keep. Meanwhile, Levi arrives at the ruins of Balmamusa with orders to harry the enemy's flank.

: By the look of things, the Galgastani can't have stationed many men here. The fewer we must kill to be done with this business, the better.

: I mislike your tone.

: Forgive me, your Grace. We are more powerful now than ever, I grant you.

: But let us not forget, we failed to rouse the Galgastani against Balbatos. Our Resistance remains far outmatched.

: I do not need you to tell me what I know so well.

: Then I beg you to reconsider.

: First we dispatch a light force to secure Balmamusa, a small town southwest of Coritanae. Thence to advance to the Xeod Moors.

: You'd distract them by needling their flank? They will never fall for such a ruse.

Trouble in paradise, it looks like.

: I mean to have our young Hero lead the band. We will feed sweet lies to their whisperers: That it is no small band, but half our army that marches. A morsel they will find impossible to resist.

: Nor will they know whether it is from Almorica or Balmamusa that we strike.

: And they will believe this tale?

: The presence of the Hero of Golyat will convince them. Balbatos would not think we place our Hero at the head of so few. This will be enough to give Balbatos pause, but he is no fool. He will not commit the entirety of his forces to Balmamusa.

: No, he will divide his men between the Psonji Weald and the Xeod Moors. The martial advantage is his. Even with his forces split, he will not fear defeat.

: Yet only this way will we have a true chance at victory.

: Perhaps. But if Balbatos does not split his troops, what then?

: We must see that he does. There's more. Once our heroes have a foot hold in Balmamusa, they will turn their attentions to the Port of Asyton. Asyton is but a short distance to the west of Coritanae. Balbatos will fear an assault.

: And with his troops mustering in Coritanae, Asyton will be ripe for the taking.

: Of course. Without Balmamusa or Asyton, they'll be cut off from the sea.

: Is that so great a blow?

: In Valeria, the sea is life. Without the bounty of her trade, we wither and die. Doubly so the Galgastani in their landlocked keep at Coritanae. Belive our rumors or no, they must respond. And that means splitting their troops.

: Should the gambit fail, we still weaken them by closing their ports.

: And what becomes of us?

: If you sense disadvantage, withdraw swiftly.

: So in the end, we still must fight a battle of Galgastan's choosing.

Our party will, in the next few updates be saying goodbye to Sara, Donnalto, and maybe Voltare (though I have a softspot for him, so he'll probably stick around for a while longer).

We are once again fighting in Balmamusa, from the ground up. On the upside this is nowhere near as fraught as the last map, it's almost a walk in the park, though this being said I will of course be doing my damndest to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Enemy Composition:

2x Warriors
2x Wizards
3x Archers
1x Knight
1x Valkyrie

We outnumber and outlevel the enemy, though they have the high ground.

This is completely irrelevant because one of those archers has a crossbow (and therefore lovely range in combination with the rain and the buildings in the way), and the other two start ages away from the group and do not use the height to their advantage.

First move of the map has Canopus already taking a shot at the Valkyrie and landing a meaty crit.

The same Valkyrie moves south and takes a shot at Lenneth who's also moved up off camera and whiffs the shot.

Just to give you an idea of the height advantage the AI just utterly loving squanders here.

Our front lines are quick to the clash, however their frontline does not have the luxury of backlines to support them and mine can attack their frontline with impunity.

We've had one cycle of my moves and their first character's already down.

Snipette begins softening up the next target, being one of the two warriors.

Lenneth pushes an instill air onto Canopus while the enemy Knight takes to the high ground. too high to do anything to us as he can't jump into our ranks.

Margarete the Warrior takes aim at Martine the Warrior and misses. The second enemy warrior is making a beeline for Canopus but couldn't quite get in range. Canopus peppers him with arrows in response.

Voltare buffs Martine for more instill damage.

The rooftop enemy knight takes the only available course of action to him and jumps down to fight Lenneth. Levi heals her.

The first enemy caster joins the fray and introduces our next debuff, poisoned.

It's absolutely useless. Don't worry about it.

It does damage, but it's an extremely low amount (with health pools of 150-200 on Martine and Voltare, it's doing 9-10 damage)

It only does three lots of damage, so it's just.. easier to heal it when it's finished doing damage than it is to cleanse the bloody thing, especially given the enemy loves to spam poison mist as much as it can.

Sara gets a turn and helps out Canopus with doing damage to the warrior closing in on him.

Lenneth is helping guys!

Canopus's turn comes up before the warriors does, so he continues damaging.

Snipette and Nerraw help to finish him off.

Martine and Margarete get down to business with each other. Margarete hits harder, but Martine has support, and more HP than Margarete, thanks to Snipette.

Lenneth takes another minor blow and Catiua helps bring her back up. At least these enemies can't use finishing moves with all the TP they're building up :greenangel:

The enemy backline are slowly catching up to us but that doesn't concern me at all. We finish off their second warrior meaning they are down to just the Knight, 2 archers, and 2 Wizards and that's pretty easy right now when the above have nothing between me and them.

A general round of buffing and healing.

Lenneth continues being a surprisingly decent meat shield if not damage dealer.

The weather is no longer quite so garbage.

The enemy witch celebrates by stunning Lenneth.

The enemy archers unleash another volley, one at Lenneth which lands, and another at Donnalto which doesn't.

Class assignment: MLG Style Donnalto.

Canopus has taken the high ground (or at least, the same level as the enemy back line) and begins peppering the enemy casters with arrows. You can see now that his stats are starting to go up with his levels he's doing massive chunks of their health pool.

Lenneth and Nerraw get stuck into the enemy knight.

Donnalto shows off a (new?) spell - Innervate. It straight up cures stun. Nothing else. It will see a decent amount of use as enemy casters like to cast stun a lot - it's not my choice of crowd control is all I'll say for now.

Sara/Snipette continue whittling down the enemy knight, Lenneth is healed back to full, Levi comes over all Shakespeare like, and Canopus is buffed to do even more damage to the back line.

Lenneth takes a normal hit and dips back down.

Levi moves up the stairs to flank and startles the enemy casters into trying to stun him. They miss.

Enemy witch hits Canopus with a bubble for a small amount of damage, and an enemy archer takes a shot at Lenneth, who blocks.

Martine gets healed back to full, enemy archer relocates to launch a bolt at her which lands on a 55% chance to hit. Lenneth lands a hit. Sure it's only 13 damage but every little helps :toot:

The annoying witch is struck down and drops a card :toot:

the only one remotely close is Levi and he's headed up there to murder the Wizard, so he gets the card, whatever it is.

Our back line unleash another volley on the Knight and closest archer respectively.

Martine takes a kicking. that last image is Tornade - indirect Air spell. Has the amusing side effect of changing which way your character is facing, could theoretically be useful though for increasing our chance to hit down the track.

Sara just landed the shot of the game. Natural crit knocks the archer off the side of building for another 27 damage on top of the 40 from the crit puts him to 13 hp.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

So yeah, expect enemy units to start packing finishing moves now. Something I clearly failed to account for here.

Rending Gale is the Tier 1 Sword finishing move - I don't have hard numbers, but it does two attacks at what I feel are about 150% of regular melee damage a hit. It can really hurt on a damage focused character, and I just got unlucky here that Martine took a kicking from the enetire enemy back line before having a finishing move unleashed on her to finish her off.

Donnalto takes a crit from an archer. Unfortunate, but thankfully it's his and Sara's turn now so that damage is immediately undone.

Canopus sticks an arrow into the last enemy wizard, while the enemy archer that's gone rogue behind our lines does the same to Donnalto.

Lenneth got a kill :toot: everyone a round of applause for Lenneth.

Snipette and Voltare finish off the enemy knight.

Nerraw hucks a massive loving rock at the next archer in line.

Catiua heals up Donnalto.

Nerraw takes a crit, but this seems low damage in comparison to the other ones we've seen this game so far.

Levi gets a kill :toot:

Donnalto's tired of being a pincushion so blocks the next shot taken at him.

This is a good screen :toot: it means we do even more damage with Bows on Canopus now. This should be Rank 3 he just hit, it won't open up a finishing move, but the next time he ranks up in bows it'll open the next one.

Christ why is that damage so loving low

Nerraw finishes off that penultimate archer leaving us with just the final unit to kill.

Levi with the crit and grabs the card. It was an agi boost.

Levi got another kill :toot:

Most everything is now level 8 except Wizard and Vartan, and that's purely because there's only one of each class in there.

We not have a good chunk of SP to spend so we will be doing that in our next update which will be longer than usual due to the movements in the local rags etc.

Aw christ look at that title.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like you were mocking Lenneth and I do not approve :colbert:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I feel like you were mocking Lenneth and I do not approve :colbert:

What I will say about Lenneth is that she can take hits like a loving champion, which is amazing for a Valkyrie.

She cannot do damage for poo poo however, and I cannot figure out why at this point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yay, another TO lp.

Fun fact: Donnalto is a barely disguised reference to actor Donald Pleasance.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

What I will say about Lenneth is that she can take hits like a loving champion, which is amazing for a Valkyrie.

She cannot do damage for poo poo however, and I cannot figure out why at this point.

Because Valkyrie don't do damage early on.

They're absolutely amazing as healers/support that can take hits and with a small dip of knight to pick rampart can do an admirable tanking job for your back line characters (especially if you have 2 or 3 of them). They completely make clerics pointless to have around.

I like to give them a lobber and a shield. That way they CAN do serious damage to high hp/pierce resistant targets (like monsters).

Later though, oh boy howdy can they wreck poo poo up.

They're one of 3 base classes that I would say is still worthwhile to use vs. uniques at the endgame.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 24, 2017

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Valks become a much better class in the late game for three reasons.

1 - you obtain weapons that increase your augment [element] skill up. This increases the matching elemental magic and damage from elemental weapons tremendously.
2 - elemental summon spells
3 - the skill that lets you turn tp into hp.

However early game, a light elemental valk is awesome because I believe they can learn and cast boon of swiftness which is p. Useful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Xeod Moors. How do you say that, anyhow? Sheeod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Glazius posted:

The Xeod Moors. How do you say that, anyhow? Sheeod?

Zeod I would imagine