Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought there was a code to skip the pot animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Right, but, well...

There is an ideal/correct way to get through the game, even considering WORLD. That is all I will say.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Couldn't you just quickly boot up Cheat Engine, search a character's name, and just name them whatever?

If I recall LUCT correctly names are just a text string.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tithin posted:

NO ONE YOU SAW NOTHING

christ the law / chaos SMT breakdown's a can of worms, don't open it here or else tallgeese will come in here to say that Zelenin / Mastema did nothing wrong

Well yeah, Mastema did indeed do nothing wrong.

Also, stop this lunacy. The Duke is not almighty Filarhh, they don't get to make this kind of call.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 15, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alkarl posted:

Yeah while my heart lies with the Chaos route I feel that the game was written with the Law route in mind.

Also Neutral exists purely to screw you over and punish you for being a wishy washy rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

In the initial version of the game, Chaos was considered the canon route according to Matsuno.

In this game? It is indeed Law that is canon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I personally just do not like the whole idea of someone's personality completely swapping based on alignment path. There had to be a better way to do it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is a guy who is working on a balance patch for this game on GameFAQs, and it sounds pretty good.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Link is here: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/75164848

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

waah posted:

The facg that you can't skip the crafting animation on the pot.

I could swear there is a code to skip the animation itself, but my memory is probably tricking me.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Right, that'd be it.

I'm surprised there's nothing to make Field Alchemy IV or Lobber innate. I will have to look at that.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I really want it so that Field Alchemy is not required. I know it can be done, but there's an easy way (edit every item's requirements) and a hard way that is much more elegant.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That mod I mentioned released a beta:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/75379432

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tithin posted:

I'm going to give this a shot when my new vita memory card arrives.

It's amazing how much more interesting the game is when nobody gets Strengthen, Fortify, Truestrike, etc.

Knights are tanktastic, Berserkers rip things to pieces (especially when they learn Double Attack), but drop like a rock if ganged up on. Et cetera.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 31, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This is your fault.

(And in case you are wondering, it does in fact glow with an awesome power in battle.)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tithin posted:

What am I looking at there. I didn't think there was an Orion allegiance

It's the name of the order I'm using.

The rest should be self-explanatory!

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 2, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would think he'd want the existence of such an extensive postgame spoilered...

EDIT: And I'd be wrong!

tithin posted:

That's a damned good looking screenshot - what settings are you using to get that out of curiousity?

Rendering Backend - OpenGL
No Postprocessing Shader
Scaling: 2x (use Auto)
Texture Filtering: Auto
Screen Scaling Filter: Linear (You have to, or else Word of Pain looks awful)
Texture Scaling: Auto, Hybrid (never use Bicubic I think, but eh)
Deposterize On
Hardware Transform On
Vertex Cache On
Hardware Tessellation on
Anisotropic Filtering 16x

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 3, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Andyzero posted:

And Leonar becomes awesome in Neutral.

Nybeth is always an rear end; but he has a bizarre instance of having a completely different wife and child whether you are Chaos or Neutral. (It's possible he's into polygamy, but that seems like way too much effort into socializing for him)

No, they straight up change the entire family's bios based on path. People who are his relatives are suddenly no longer so, even if they are the exact same character.

They basically all get the Vyce treatment, but a higher dose.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 10, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That is part of what makes One Vision good: nerfs the hell out of special RT bonus.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I will explain it.

In the original SNES version, Cerya gets captured. The guy who captures her says something questionable after he casts a binding spell, just before you walk into the scene to rescue her. In the PSP version, what he says is less questionable and his personality is developed a bit more.

Andyzero was basically assuming that everything you don't see happened the same way in all routes, except you weren't there. Which is an odd thing to think considering how radically the game changes based on route, but yeah.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 12, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

waah posted:

Lamias also have the cooler sprite imo.

But lizardmen juggernauts are so cool.

Juggs are horrific meatwalls in One Vision. They just refuse to die.

Clerics are basically mandatory in it as well.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Reminder that Knight of Lodis is not canonical.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lans Tartare had Ambicion in the original LUCT as well, it was just translated as "Angel". That's not from Knight of Lodis.

Matsuno really didn't take anything from Knight of Lodis, and explicitly told interviewers it's not relevant to Tactics Ogre (which I thought was somewhat mean of him). Which is a shame, as the emblem system was a nice idea.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Eh, Law Vyce is fine.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tithin posted:

I've heard of that fight. I don't know much about the CODA, but I had heard that

that it was basically Levi, Catiua and Vyce against the entire dark knights?

That is only if you want a certain sword. If you can live without that one sword, you can deploy everyone.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

A lot of the chapter is not feasible to actually do when it first shows up.

And this is in vanilla. In One Vision it's even scarier.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's not what he's saying.

He's saying the game's hard.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Ozma is basically the best character in the unmodded game.

I do not know what training regimen the Dark Knights go through but it must be amazing.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's frankly almost unchanged from their SNES abilities.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

mauman posted:

Also, in case you're wondering Gilbald is a beastmaster who looks like all beastmasters do (BIG BURLY MEN WITH BEARDS AND WHIPS), who is also heavily implied to be romantically involved with Iuria. :catstare:

Birdmen in general are older than they look; it's mentioned in Canopus' Warren Report, making this an example of that skeevy "actually they're a 1000 year old demon" thing.

...or so I would say, but I checked and Iuria is apparently 30 years younger than Cano at 18. All they had to do was make her in the 40s and call it a day, they had a ready-made excuse!

Shitenshi posted:

I can see why Canopus is so rough, to try and get Andoras to see the reality of his situation, but Ozma as some noblewoman talking down to this guy who lost everything, is too painful.

She was being blatantly sarcastic and didn't expect him to react like that. That's why she basically goes "Oh wait a minute I see what's happening here, you have been screwing with us!"

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 12, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I would recommend showing the description of unique classes like that.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Um... no.

Rodrick vs Dorgalua had nothing to do with a conflict between monotheism and polytheism. Rodrick used the Apocrypha because he wanted to win and rule Valeria at any cost, even his own troops and people.

Where in God's name did you pull the religious war angle from?

And to further nail that coffin shut, the Apocrypha were not known as such in the Japanese version, further losing the religious angle. It was a creative translation, like the ranks of the religious order referencing various forms of Orthodoxy.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 8, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The actual spells in question still suck though.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Do I have to shill for One Vision again?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tithin posted:

I was't joking btw, it's a good mod, feel free to wax lyrical on why it's so good and what you enjoy about it.

Honestly the best thing about it is the removal of mandatory skills.

No Strengthen, Fortify, Swiftfoot, Trueskills, et cetera. Swiftfoot is built-in. Lets you actually have the slots to use all those weird TP skills.

The second best thing is that Cleric healing actually scales with their magic, which staves off them being completely eclipsed by Lobbers.

The third best thing is that you can forge any classmark you have, including special classmarks, with the exception of Golem and Dragon classmarks.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 10, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Another good thing One Vision does: nerfs special unit RT bonuses to make it so generics aren't totally outclassed.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tithin posted:

Especially when you have a pair of wings

Those let you fly up, I thought?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, it makes sense.

There's basically two factions overall in Lodis.

The first is the religious faction, led by the High Priest Sardian. This faction is obsessed with spreading Lodisism, and is willing to accumulate power through the seizure of divine relics to achieve this. Tartaros appears to sincerely believe in this faction.

The second could be called the materialist faction. They were crushed by Sardian's faction, which had popular support, because the materialist faction was composed of rich fellows in the Lodissian Senate chasing money.

Martym could be faking being part of faction 1, but was actually faction 2.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 6, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Shitenshi posted:

Is that related to the Haborym/Balzepho backstory? Because the gist I took from that was that Sardian has a zero tolerance policy for dissenters. Evil empire and all that, I think anyone who wasn't with him or who pulled a stunt like that on Tartaros, one of the people who helped him usurp power in the first place, would be viewed as a threat to be removed.

The context was that originally Sardian had limited political power, until he somehow rallied general public sentiment against the Lodissian Senate. Look at what Balzephon says, that the Senate ignores the High Priest while listening to anyone with money. That does not sound like someone who wielded almost dictatorial powers at the time.

Balzephon's dad said it himself, he installed Bal into the Dark Knights in order to spy on Sardian, only to have that completely backfire. The takeaway is supposed to be is that Bal got convinced that Sardian was right, either by Sardian himself or by Tataros.

There's a reason Tataros basically tells Paladin Lans that the public is full of sheep - he has first-hand experience because of what happened in Lodis to give Sardian power.

Tartaros completely believes in Sardian, which you can see when Barbas was all "gently caress the high priest" in private and Tartaros all but threatened to have him executed. When Barbas tries to get him to say that he wants favor with the Senate, Tartaros just changes the subject.

Combine this with what Balzephon said to his father, plus the fact that he was tied up with Tataros, and it becomes clear that Barbas and Martym are acting this way in order to curry favor with the Senate in order to increase his personal standing (in other words, Barbas was projecting). Meanwhile, Tartaros and Balzephon are true believers.

That is how Martym can act like he's still with Lodis - he technically is, just with a certain part of it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 6, 2018

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

When I said Tartaros believes in the Sardian faction, I should have specified that I meant he appears to be legitimately loyal to Sardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Barbas wasn't implying that it was Lodis who killed the gatekeeper. He said someone did it in order to claim the throne. Who do we know who claimed the throne?

Brantyn killed the gatekeeper.