Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Recall the words of the old woman. Her son once spoke of freedom and justice. He now lies dead, for all he had was his passion and righteousness. Thousands upon thousands of lives are being decided upon tonight, and not the residents here. The war is already in motion, and should our cause fall now, the Walister people will be decimated. Slaughtered. Thinned out to a handful of survivors who can never again rise up. Regardless of what we may think of our liege and his bid for power, Our actions up to this point have started consequences much bigger than this town.

There is no such thing as a bloodless war. There is no such thing as a victory without sacrifice.

There is no such thing as truly noble cause when nations and races collide. Only after are such labels given.
I understand.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Bifauxnen posted:

Augh this is why I can't deal with the lawful route, how can Levi even go on living with himself...

...offering weakass poo poo like this while Vyce is loving RIGHT, I just can't take it!

It's more than it seems, which highlights the choice between law and chaos rather nicely. Law is about seeing the big picture, making sacrifices, both personal and not, to see a goal for everyone. Chaos is mostly emotion. Sticking to your moral compass, or lack thereof, even if it degrades the situation around you.

He's saying things like that because while yes, he is bearing that heavy weight with all due stress, he knows that the new Wallister alliance is not fit to run a country, or achieve its goals through the impulsive actions it takes.

If we were on the chaos route, we'd be in the moral right, considering we're fighting for the truth and against such cruel actions. The positions between Levi and Vyce here would be reversed.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Levels like that are why I couldn't finish the game really. Just so much filler that ensures you have to love the combat system to slog through it all... and I got bored eventually having to fight what essentially amounts to 2-4 random battles between story beats. Sure someone talks in them, but they could be cut out with no loss.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Well yeah Levi has a death wish. Motherfucker would love to just die and have all this burden cast off him. But he doesn't, cause he has others that rely on him. A nation that needs his help. Sherri drawing a blade on him probably made him hopeful for a second that either hey, he's right about her and she puts it down, or he's wrong and he gets to die knowing his judgement was faulty anyway.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Girl, we didn't abandon you, you ran off cause our sworn enemy told you some poo poo that you took at face value.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 14, 2017

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean she's not exactly under duress here. All it took to get her on team evil guys was being told "he's not your REAL dad."

Basically this. There wasn't even a troop there surrounding her. She could have taken a jump and a swim to get away and Mr. Eyepatch in his heavy rear end armor would've been 'Well poo poo.'

Catuia is dumb, is basically the point.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Not knowing anything about this game, I voted for "I took no joy in our parting" because the other option feels like a dodge. Catiua is clearly not convinced that Levi sees her as a sister, and pressing on that harder seems like it'd backfire.

This, basically. Try and sound that out in fewer words.

"I'm not a sister to you and you don't love me!"
"what no I totally love you sis"
"LIAR" *stab*

As for catuia being vulnerable instead of being dumb, emotional distress doesn't exactly excuse poor decision making. It may make it understandable as to how they came to that conclusion, maybe even sympathetic, but like many people do in real life, it's often abused as a means of dodging responsibility for your own actions.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 15, 2017

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

mauman posted:

Still doesn't make her dumb.

Doesn't make her smart either. You can be emotionally unstable and be dumb at the same time.

Though now that I think on it, it's more immaturity than stupidity. I'll grant you that one.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

I guess what bothered me is that Catiua always gives Denam a whole lot of poo poo for trying to stop Fantasy Hitler. And yes, Balbatos is Fantasy Hitler, to the point that the original translation called places like Balmamusa concentration camps and referred to his policies as ethnic cleansing. So while choosing to go Law and kill the whole lot of them is without a doubt a bad thing to do, it feels like a last ditch tactic to stop more killing, especially by Ch3, where the reins of power have shifted and there's one last chance to put an end to it all.

Then she up and leaves him on her own while claiming that he abandoned her. It's particularly damning where everyone reacts differently on all the routes with the same personality to an extent (and according to Matsuno, Vyce is apparently so petty that his negative reaction to the Ch1 choice no matter what is just jealousy for Denam), but she's rigid in who she is, just passively following her brother's every word and not really doing anything, until she decides for some reason that she's had enough and blames him throughout. Denam is the one risking his life and making the hard choices while the Dark Knights of all people go ahead and make her big decision for her. At the end of the day, sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, possible shell shock be damned. Vyce doesn't get any sympathy for his hosed up childhood.

I mean, apparently she even met with Prancet while he was being tortured and still chose to hang on to Tartaros? That's all kinds of hosed up.

Thanks for explaining my thoughts better than I can myself. Catuia does deserve sympathy for being traumatized with what she's witnessed and even had to partake in, make no mistake. But bad decisions are still bad decisions. The important qualifier in all that is that she was never forced to do any of that, never really pressured or coerced. She came to her own conclusions. Though what happens in the next update will make or break the character, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Well, I for one, am thankful for this lp. The gameplay failed to hold my interest long enough to see all this despite me being really interested in what happens.