Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm still not quite sure what we did to deserve this remake. It's a great remaster of a late 90's game of a niche genre from a dead series. Sure, it's rife with design issues (class levelling, the pot) but it's otherwise a high-quality release with some great new features. There's no way they could have though it would have made them much money, but they obviously put effort into it.

Maybe I'm vastly underestimating its success, while overestimating the resources used, but I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Canpous is a cool dude and I'm glad they keep giving him lines throughout so many story battles.

It's been a long time since I played last, but I thought they did a pretty good job at having side characters have in battle banter.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like Birdmen Warriors, since it's the only frontliner they can use that have some muscle behind their attack.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. And Catiua's a little worse off than others, because you often want to learn high level priest skills with her, and then move her to princess for the better job.

It wouldn't be so bad if it were a more traditional levelling system, but some of these classes just make you masochistic to try to use.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

waah posted:

I would love for a Knight of Lodis L.P. to be done, but it's not gonna be by me. Maybe if this was 10 years ago

Knight of Lodis is cursed. There's been a few attempts at it, but none got very far.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

lobster22221 posted:

Maybe it is because I only played the game once and it was the only game in the franchise I have played, but the magic of the game and the politics of the game felt completely seperate until the seal was mentioned. Even the monsters that look like humanoid or possibly intelligent don't have any roles in the story. Is there any word on Fairy's or lizardmen being plot relevant in other games?

Mermaids at least are important in Ogre Battle and Knight of Lodis. Angels and Devils are also plot important in certain Ogre Battle stages. I think there was a semi-relevant Fairy in Knight of Lodis as well, but KoL is post-Matsuno so it doesn't necessarily fit with the LuCT/OB thematics, and I might be misremembering how important she was.

Otherwise Lizards and Fairies are just mooks. I don't think they have a described homeland, or much of a place in human society, whereas birdmen and humans get along fine.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a shame there's so much cool stuff buried behind such an unfriendly post game. Rather obscure parts of it as well. This could be the only game I played for years and I doubt I could see it all.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dark rituals must have taken place to even get any remake, let alone one with this much effort put into it. I don't know what kind of bargain you'd need to get even more.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bregor posted:

Powerful, horrible experiments with a high likelihood of going terribly wrong? Sounds like Kefka is our dude.

Yeah, this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

waah posted:

The forbidden magics is a big one that I forgot talking about. Forbidden magic worked like summons in a lesser known RPG named Gungnir. If you used it, you were either desperate, or over confident it wouldn't kill your own dudes, or both.

Gungnir was rad and the summons had a great presentation.

Don't care what's next. Just want to see how far this madness goes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Elric posted:

Ending was awful.

Yeah it felt like half the game just straight up didn't exist and they just threw something together at the end.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm looking forward to a Hitoshi Sakamoto post.

The first game of his I played was Ogre Battle, and that soundtrack blew me away. Tactics Ogre and FFT were also gold, and I really liked what he did in Muramasa: the Demon Blade.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The amount of stuff in this game is staggering. I wonder how many people actually did / know about half this stuff legitimately.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Andyzero posted:

The Tigers of Burnham are the guys who assassinate Denham if Catiua died and you become Lord but didn't get everyone to like you statwise.

I think this was the only ending my friend and I managed to get way back on the PSX version. We weren't expecting, and I may be misremembering, some rear end in a top hat mercing us from across the hall with a gun during our coronation.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, PPSSPP is the way to go at this point. It's so much smoother than OG hardware.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think Galf the Demon is the only character you'd miss, because you have to start the high rep route, get the Brunhild, tank your rep, and then give him the weapon. Although you can probably just do that right before the final level and get everyone, and be stuff with a bad end. Everyone else is pretty easy to recruit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I have a copy of MotBQ for Playstation, just for collection reasons. It's basically unplayable.

A friend and I were huge fans of the SNES original, but eventually his SNES died and his place was the better place to hang out so we never played it any more. One day we were just checking out what rentals were available at the time and were super hyped to play it again on the PSX.

First thing we noticed was they added animation previews for all the characters, in their status pages. You could also see the opinion leader's sprite from the front. It was kinda neat.

Second thing we noticed was the load times. Load to get into menus. Load to get into stages. Load to get into battles. Now consider that most of the game is getting in our out of battles or menus, this was a ridiculous amount of loading.

The last thing we noticed is the AI is all hosed. On the SNES, the first real level after getting Warren, most of the enemy troops can be expected to take the main road that runs south of the bay. There are a couple of water or flight-based units that will take the direct route, but otherwise the bulk of the action is on the ground, a little past the half-way point on the road. Makes sense considering they're all land-based units.

We started the PSX version, deployed our units to cities along the road, and every single enemy swam across the bay straight to our base.

I don't know why the AI behaved that way but I didn't want to have to swim after them so we didn't play it much after that. Every now and then I consider pulling out the old PSX and giving it a try but I never get that far.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never had to put that much effort in to control ali/cha. Like I set up my units to match ali. I try to limit kills with my high ali groups, and finish off groups with my low ali to get their levels a bit higher.

I'll go roughshod over ghosts and undead with high alignment groups though.

I've never had to care about cha.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah that interview's a pro click.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The remake has always been a mystery to me. The quality is absurdly high, from a time period where Square-Enix ports/remakes were trash fires. Localization, art, music are all top tier. There's new features, characters, and an absurd amount of content in it, even if it's byzantine to access.

But why? Obviously someone with clout had love for the original, but it just seems like some sort of dream project that somehow made the light of day. I'm glad it did, but it's still surprising.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
"The gods have no eyes for chattel" was another good one. I'm super into the wotl translation, although I think they do push it a little too far sometimes, and I thought the animated scenes were really well done. Didn't really care for the Luso or Balthier additions.

Losing the casting phrases was a shame though. And the game is nigh unplayable if you don't patch it so animations actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The original was too niche to merit how good the psp port was anyways, so I hold out hope.

Tactics Ogre is held up as incredibly influential or groundbreaking with SE staff, former and current. They haven't done anything with it obviously, but I think the game carries a lot of weight with a few people there still.