Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Hell yes another run at this. I've always loved the super depressing Warren Reports and really everything about the writing in this. I actually am a huge fan of the new art and everything in this version too. Also the 'unique' generics having their own palettes are nice too.

gently caress crafting forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I too have a hard time not choosing the chaos route. But, for the sake of this LP getting to stuff the old one didn't, I understand if we have to dirty our hands.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah while my heart lies with the Chaos route I feel that the game was written with the Law route in mind.

Also Neutral exists purely to screw you over and punish you for being a wishy washy rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

In the initial version of the game, Chaos was considered the canon route according to Matsuno.

In this game? It is indeed Law that is canon.

Really? I did not know that, and that is awesome. I always figured Law was the One True Path, and yeah this version definitely adds enough bells and whistles to it that it kind of screams canon.

Though I suppose there's a reason I still play both versions. Untouchable ninja trained Terror Knight Denim is where its at, and I just don't get the same satisfaction from the PSP version in that sense.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

mauman posted:

Oh you're in for a treat :allears:

Do you know how to get all of the special characters? The new ones in particular are partly why Law is so amazing (chaos and ESPECIALLY neutral really got the shaft in this department).

In fairness, Neutral got the shaft hard in the original version too.

Filthy neutrals. :colbert:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah any Chaotic units you have tend to just hemorrhage loyalty on a Law playthrough and vice versa unless you luck out with loyalty up cards. It's super annoying that my super cool hammerzerker gives me the loyalty warning after every single encounter. :(

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Nah alignment is on a per character basis. C units will always be C units barring very specific circumstances. The PSP version has no alignment requirements for classes anymore which is nice.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly think that in the PSP art style, Leonar resembles an older, hardened Denam Levi. Sort of gave me a "this could have been you under different circumstances" vibe. Like I said though, just my own dumb interpretations.

Also yes, Arycelle for everyone is a good thing! Even though it further disincentiveses going Chaos outside of not wanting to be a big jerk man who gets poo poo done.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

tithin posted:

Correction: Next up team emptyquote gets loving rolled, jesus christ.

This tends to be everybody's experience on that quest, along with the chaos-exclusive character's related battle. You think you're a badass unit? gently caress you, enjoy Sparksphere Is ripping you apart for like 120 damage per cast. It's rough out there.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

The Barbas fight is one of my favourites in any SRPG ever just because of all the ice burns being thrown around. It may not be complex or challenging (usually) but drat if it isn't memorable.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

the original game didn't have the card class level system, and basically used what you're familiar with from fft. characters leveled up like normal and the class they were in determined their stat increases. Levi was a level 30 ninja and you decided (mistakenly) that the gunner would be a good class? you now have a level 30 gunner denam.

This had the effect of letting you cover a class's weaknesses by spending time in other classes. Want a Terror Knight that never misses with his fuckoff axe? Be a Ninja for a few levels and you'll find you don't miss and are also harder to hit! You could do some fun stuff class hopping like that.

Granted you can sort of do that with the SP skills but I feel less satisfied for some reason.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Thanks for this! Coda really is an arcane hellgrind that really is excessive and lame for little payoff. It's cool to save Lans and Warren but the way classes level still hamstrings them and even then, what's really left to do? The Dark Knight Cage Match is pretty rad but good god it's a pain to get to.

So seriously, well done on smashing through the main story and the start of the obnoxious postgame!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

I'm into finishing CODA first too!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

I did a run like 7 months ago and had a great time with One Vision, it feels a little closer to SNES TOgre to me and everyone feels a little more distinct. It's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Just give me a port of Knight of Lodis attached and it'll be perfect.

I like KoL ok

:unsmith: