Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

FairGame posted:

but if so: can you do Not The Chaos Route?

seconding this....

Law route is best route (I'm not kidding, it's better in almost every way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

neongrey posted:

Ask me about going into this game right off of something like SMT1 or 2 and quite naturally going neutral my first time.

(or don't, that's pretty much the whole story)

Except neutral is terrible in this game...

Hell, even the game itself tells you in multiple ways "you dun hosed up" if you pick neutral.

In other words, this game ain't SMT :D

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

This made me chuckle a bit...

sure, why not

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

The first Crossbow finishing move is loving ludicrous.

ALL of the crossbow moves are great. Though the 1st and last standout (and are probably the best finishers in the game PERIOD) depending if you need AoE or a big middle finger for one beefy target.

But yeah, I keep Canopus as the Vartan class with crossbows. As to which is better, people generally are 50/50 on it. Either way is great.

Also, clerics kinda suck in this game. You're better off making a fencer with a lobber/sword for your healer.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

I'm not sure. I'm relatively sure they don't though.

I've seen it happen. Usually to kill an ally that I thought was "just" out of range.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

theshim posted:

do the words "death march" have any meaning to you

Doing this can seriously mess up your game if you're not careful.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 7, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Might as well Help her

Actually, I'm changing my vote to screw it cuz I feel mean today.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

NO ONE YOU SAW NOTHING

Well, my opinion on that....

Just kidding.

I Understand

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 14, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Thank God. for brief second, I thought we were going to go the "generic boring jrpg hero" route again.

Law Denim is FAR more interesting then Chaos Denim (and don't get me started on Neutral Denim).

Actually, now that I think about it, Law has a better story and set of characters too.

Everything is better on the law path, and all it requires is the low, low price of one genocide. :black101:

That would have happened anyways

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 19, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Apart from the whole war crime thing, the other thing I hate about the Law choice is it lets loving Vyce start acting all high and mighty and lording it over us like he's all Mr Moral Compass now.

I piss on his noble cause! :v:

Still better than Chaos Vyce.

Whiny little punk that he is.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Vyce go along with Leonar's scheme on the chaos path then?

Yeah. Vyce exists to be your foil.

If you go Chaos, then Vyce becomes a raving psychotic douche.

He even has a new portrait that looks all sinister-like.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Like many of you, I could never stomach going law when the time came so I've always gone chaos and dealt with cunning vyce, and not honorable vyce.

I started a law game that indirectly led to this lp, and got to chapter 3 before starting this, so soon it will all be new to me :greenangel:

Oh you're in for a treat :allears:

Do you know how to get all of the special characters? The new ones in particular are partly why Law is so amazing (chaos and ESPECIALLY neutral really got the shaft in this department).

Also, this is going to sound weird I know considering what we just did, but for me at least, law Denim/Levi came off as more likable then Chaos Denim/Levi.

waah posted:

It's spoilers but it's also for chaos which is a totally different story so ???, but Chaos Vyce has possibly one of the top 3 one time portraits in the game.

And really I get why people dislike Chaos Vyce, but he's way more effective than most average JRPG nuisance villans.

I figured THAT much wouldn't really be a problem. I don't plan on going any further than that, I promise.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Same. Much like Vyce on the L route, he's forced to confront a lot about his own convictions(not to mention choices) in a way I feel that makes him a better character.

Glad to know others feel this way :hfive:

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 23, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

What I will say about Lenneth is that she can take hits like a loving champion, which is amazing for a Valkyrie.

She cannot do damage for poo poo however, and I cannot figure out why at this point.

Because Valkyrie don't do damage early on.

They're absolutely amazing as healers/support that can take hits and with a small dip of knight to pick rampart can do an admirable tanking job for your back line characters (especially if you have 2 or 3 of them). They completely make clerics pointless to have around.

I like to give them a lobber and a shield. That way they CAN do serious damage to high hp/pierce resistant targets (like monsters).

Later though, oh boy howdy can they wreck poo poo up.

They're one of 3 base classes that I would say is still worthwhile to use vs. uniques at the endgame.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 24, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I did all of my crafting legit (save-scumming not withstanding).

Post-game gear to boot.

:shepicide:

I'm honestly not sure how I managed to survive with my sanity intact.

Or maybe I didn't....maybe I AM insane, let me check with the voices.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah, Wootz Steel. My old enemy, we meet again.

:negative:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Something I've been meaning to ask.

Why are you using a generic male cleric portrait for Don?

Did a re-read, I forgot about that.

I have a copy of his portrait if you want me to post it (or send it to you, or whatever).

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 7, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

As you command

Requires a little cropping/resizing, but I figure that shouldn't be a problem :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 7, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Yep, and they're doing pretty well all things considered.

Which is rather hilarious given how the situation is in the Chaos route.

To put it simply, Vyce is ALWAYS more competent than you no matter what side he's on (at least until you beat the tar out of him).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

So, quick tip.

Leveling skills gives massive loyalty to a character (enough to get them from I'm leaving to I'm a wee bit pissed, but ok)

If you're worried about losing a particular unit, get a skill close to level up (usually weapons) and then finish the level up after the choice is made.

This is particularly useful for the Neutral route for one particular person.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

I didn't jump the gun, go to the menu to the Timeline (I'm not sure what it's called now, it becomes "The World" after you beat the game once), it's a "disconnected" cutscene. You will only see it if you select it there.

You probably should have just mentioned that he go to the menu and look it up, rather than talking about the scene itself.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

So....pretty....can't....thiiiiiiinnnnnnngggggggggg......

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You know, I've played Law several times (ever since I grew a pair and realized just how much better it is then Chaos, all for the low low price of one genocide), and I've never actually managed to lose a unit or even get a warning.

I have gotten a warning on Chaos from an L unit hilariously enough, but even then I managed to quickly fix that.

I don't know if it's luck or what.

Most of my loyalty problems came in post-game when my CF started getting crazy high without me even trying.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

Noooooooo you gotta do the other battle and have Canopus in your party. The banter in that battle is some of my favorite in the whole game.

Well....I'd say there's a few better ones, but yes there is some fun dialogue if you took the other route.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Just played through it and there's no additional dialogue, it's not in the script either

Huh.

Maybe we're thinking of Chapter 4?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah....Jeunan.

Jeunan (and the discussion that leads up to him) is partially why I'm so fond of Law.

Also, dragoons get 2handed crossbows. Give him crossbows, never look back as you laugh at all of the monsters dying from attacks that use to do nothing.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 24, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Denam / Male / Law

Perhaps we may now get answers as to the identity of this mystery man. tithin insists does not exist, but I, I know the truth with my own two eyes! :tinfoil:

Make it so

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Warriors make a good dedicated whipper. The double hit works well with that weapon and makes whips at least competitive with 2-weapon classes.

It's still a dubious choice to make for a final team member, and outside of that the warrior really does get eclipsed pretty quickly.

Also, you've gone and done it Tithin. I dug out my old psp and I'm replaying this game (and by replaying I mean I'm taking my 200+ hour savefile through a new game + because I don't think I can go through crafting/pumpkin hijinks again and keep my sanity).

edit: wonder why I thought it was spear at first.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 3, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Speaking of, it's running behind schedule. Entire house is down sick with cold / flu / chest infection in the kids, so I've been less thinking of the game and more longing for the sweet embrace of death.

hope everybody gets better soon, and have our well-wishes.

:ohdear:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah yes, the old "make Canopus an archer" vs "Keep Canopus as a Vartan" dilemma.

Both are great things to do. I think the archer is the more powerful of the two options early on, but once you get swiftfoot 2 and get the first 3 finishers for Xbow, I think Vartan ends up being the more powerful (or at least useful, as my xbow users generally get more kills then my archers) of the two.

Also, it's not just Golems that give archers problems, all big monsters have resistance to piercing damage (drat dragons will be your bane early on).

I think my biggest issues with Archers is that they move...so....slow. Even a winged Archer like Canopus is going to have to take multiple turns just to get into an advantageous position in most maps. Add to the fact that there are a few unique classes that adequately emulate archery, I don't include them into the "big 3"*

They're absolutely amazing till you get to that point though.

*big 3 is my way of saying the only 3 base, non-unique classes that I consider to be as good as or better than unique classes at end/post game (which are Valkyrie, Rogue, and Ninja).

Not that this stopped me from making a non-canopus wingperson archer, allowing me to keep my lovely birdman as a crossbow wielding god AND having my aerial archer.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

The huge stat upgrade from archer to Vartan makes it a no brainer for me tbh - the move speed hurts a lot, like so much holy poo poo but like all things it's mitigated by Move skill.

:confused:

Huh....never really thought about it that way. Though I honestly don't see a 1 point strength and 4 point dex difference* (the stats that actually matter for damage) makes up for 3 points of movement (and this is taking move skills into account). Sure you get some vit and agil, but I don't really think those are in general all that important.

*as quickly compared from my file by switching a buck-naked Canopus from a level 50 vartan to a level 50 archer.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

I misspoke, I meant to say the other way around. Vartan to Archer makes it so that I can't stick with Canopus as a Vartan. I get that Vartans have a lot of utility, but utility in this game distracts from murder, and murder wins battles.

e: though like in all things, I don't have stats but as I recall, archer to vartan in terms of raw stats was much higher. Might be a low level thing where it balances out at the end though..?

Oh, I figured that's what you meant. What I was saying is that the movement that you get from Vartan generally gets him more murdertime than my archers, stats be damned :downs:

Never really thought of Vartans having utility. El Colas Winds is neat I suppose, but I'll be the first to admit that their TP skills are rubbish compared to Archers. Though, just as I'd rather use tp skills then finishing moves for my archers, I'd rather use finishing moves than tp skills (speedster is the exception on my rogue) for my Xbow users.

edit - the stat distance could be you remembering that archers get access to the nomad bracers. That does add a significant amount of dex. My personal tastes still don't think it's worth 3 points of movement, but I do see your point.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Okey dokey now.

Ravness is technically one of the more powerful characters in the game.

Why do you ask?

Stats can be improved and classes can be changed, but all characters but your basic generics have a CT modifier (CT being that value that determines when your characters go). Her CT value is only surpassed by one other character, so besides that one character she'll almost always go first and will go more often then most characters.

It also helps that Valkyries take a BIG giant leap in killing power right before the end-game.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yeah.....

Wizards really got the shaft in the remake.

It's useful to level them up a little bit so you can get the lizard/lamia recruiting skill though.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Going into fights with lots of dragons can be useful, as recruiting dragons can be useful in the long run.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Lamia's call this class Matriarch.

They're also better at since Lamia have better base int than lizards.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Matriarchy is better than Patriarchy, eh? Cool game. Best game.

:shepicide:

In all seriousness though, the beast races can be fun to mess around with.

Though the m/patriarch advantage to spells is hurt by the fact that summons are much much harder to get in this game (hell, level 2 ninjitsu summons are easier to get).

Also a thought. I don't think the dagger advantage is all that great since daggers don't add alot to int, and the predator knife is the best you can get without super bonus dungeon/coda shenanigans.

Stick with the elemental cudgels :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 21, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Valkyries with lobbers do just fine for healing (in fact they do far far better), they can also use boon of swiftness have some excellent abilities, can use attack magic (though not that great but it's something), and don't die if you fart in their general direction. In fact they have great resilience with the ability to wear good armor, restore hp with tp if they take damage, and the ability to equip Rampart 2.

Clerics are a waste as far as I'm concerned, and it's a trap to use them.

Valkyries, on the other hand, retain all of these advantages and become some of the most over powered Casters in the game once you get to end/post game due to their conserve MP ability and spell selection. And while their are unique classes that come up to that power level, Valkyries never truly lose their edge in comparison.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 27, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Levi into.....White Knight?

Do you mean Ravness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

The thing is, I was kind of expecting to denam to sacrifice him out of "necessity" at some point. Him joining the party as a non guest tells me we don't reward his trust with a knife in the back.

That might go against the whole "You dun hosed up now atone for your mistakes" story which is Law.

Also, Gildas is another character that has a REALLY good RT score (I think he's either number 3 or 4).

My Gildas is a ninja (white knight is ok, just not amazing). Mirdyn just warms the bench unless there's a story reason to bring him out. I did use Mirdyn for a while though. He just didn't make the final cut for my primary 12.

A lack of Gildas is another reason that Neutral sucks.

Edit: I think Gannp use to have his own unique class. It was for all intents and purposes a beefed up beast tamer, but it's strange that the class didn't make it to the psp version.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 10, 2017