Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
A good argument for Bow-Vyce is that Ranger gets access to an equipment set that's normally Archer exclusive (as in, only Archers can equip the whole set).

With that set on regular bow attacks will usually kill everything short of certain boss-enemies.

Granted, getting the set on the other hand is a problem unto itself :downs:

Also, Chaos Vyce's class Assassin and hanged man is essentially the Ranger with backstab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My entire attitude towards stuff that esoteric is that if it makes an already good class better, great, but it isn't going to salvage anything.

So, yes, there might be a place for a dark-focused blowgun-using rogue, but when you need a level 44 weapon from a divine general at the end of a bonus dungeon, it's such a distant prospect that I can't really suggest even starting.

True enough.

My point was more of a "Get to have AND eat the cake" sort of point. Not really important, but it is nice if you go that far into the Bonus stuff as Bow-Vyce is certainly strong enough by himself to merit that option.

That being said, Vyce can use other normally archer only gear (like nomad bracer +1) which IS a pretty good thing since those are easy to get and add a lot of dex to the Ranger's already ultra-high dex score, though that also will benefit a dual dagger Vyce. So yeah :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 12, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I'm not sure if this is the psp one or the original.

But it looks close enough regardless.

Also, you might be remembering that Levi gets access to buccaneer

Only the white knights, Ravness and one other certain character have access to White Knight.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 23, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Hobryim's great.

Though Swordmaster sucks in this game (unlike the God of status effects it was in the previous).

Mine's a rogue marksman with a crossbow, cuz a blind crossbow dude tickles my funny bone.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FairGame posted:

Hobyrim was the TG Cid equivalent of Tactics Ogre SNES/PSX.. Once you had him, you would trivialize every encounter by petrifying (which was a permanent status effect; it'd never wear off on its own) half the map on the first turn. And petrifying the other half on his second turn, which he'd take before most of the slower classes on the map got their first turn. He was absurd.

Indeed.

And it wasn't too hard for you to turn Denim/Levi into a good one either (I focused on fire with him for stun, not quite as good but still pretty darn good). Turning pretty much the whole battlefield into a slew of statues and/or slackjawed gits.

And they say that law was under powered in the first game :downs:

Oh how the mighty swordmaster has fallen.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

They say about Hobyrim is that in the Playstation game he looks like Alec Guiness.

And in the remake, he looks like Ewan McGregor.

I look at clips on the original SNES/PSX version, and I just can't see it, but whatever floats their boat.

It's more the robes than anything else.

Hobyrim would a good jedi not make.

And he doesn't really fit the "wise mentor" bit either, because he's not that old.

I think any connections from the olden days that compared him to Obi-Wan was just focused on the robes.

tithin posted:

That sounds broken as hell.

TG Cid has got nothing on a guy who can turn groups of enemies to stone

That's nothing. In the old version, magic became broken as hell in general.

Forbidden magic hit everything on the map. Dragon magic did it without the friendly fire (no items needed either, just mp). Summons were even more broken back then as well, and they were FAR easier to get (as in the game usually handed them to you in the story missions, no post-game or side quests needed), but they were unique so you had to make sure you had a variety of elemental based units to take advantage of them. They also hit 8-10 times :downs:

There wasn't multiple levels of magic back in the old version. Magic behaved based on your stats alone, so your basic (and only*) earth damage spell would start off as one dot, get up to a cross AoE, and then finally the giant circle. Petrify also did this, which is why hobyrim got so goddamn powerful so quick.

Summons also acted in this manner :allears:

And the mp costs never went up from the base value :smug:

*I think there might have been missile spells in the original version (I can't quite remember) but they were almost never worth using since they would always be single target and have to deal with terrain.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 6, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

You could also recruit undead as early as the Krizar battle in the original, and the enemy AI would make a beeline for them to a ridiculous extent. It almost felt like cheating that you essentially got a free decoy unit. They'd revive after two or three turns, so you were never in danger unless an enemy exorcist was present. And on that note, you didn't have to wait for an undead to be "killed" either, you could just straight up exorcise them right there on the dot.

Hence Donnalto's comment about being a bit rusty when he failed to exorcised an undead. In the original, he accomplished it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I think I missed some of the dialogue in this fight.

Neat.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

And Alphonse used to be such a nice guy.

:negative:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Reminder that Knight of Lodis is not canonical.

Oh boy, a canon slap fight.

:downs:

My take is that it's canon till otherwise re-told. If anything this re-make strengthened this stance since Lan's weapon actually refers to a certain somebody from that game. Hmmph, seems I mis-remembered that. Doesn't change my opinion on the matter.

Disagree if you want, but just know I don't care. :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 27, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

My take is Knight of Lodis happened, but in broad strokes. Evil!Lans really doesn't like heaven. And he has an angel's sword.

Ah, thank you. I was trying to remember the term broad strokes.

This is exactly how I feel.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

As Matsuno doesn't actually own the IP, he has no ability to say what is and isn't canon.

This would be like defending George Lucas if he said Episode 7 was not canon.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 27, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Eh, Law Vyce is fine.

That's something we can agree on.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Chaos Vyce thinks law vyce can gtfo

C. Vyce is a punk, so who cares what he thinks :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Oz truly deserves to die.

Turns out Ozma agrees

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

You planning on covering Chaos stuff?

Don't want to accidentally put a spoiler up if so.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Possibly. I'm torn between doing the other routes, or the end game coda, leaning towards the coda.

Feel free to talk about other routes but don't go "past" where we are in the story now

In that case, I thought I'd mention that you do in fact get an extended scene here on Chaos (or neutral, Boo, hiss) if you have the other sister(s) here. It even foreshadows the next plot line, which is a nice little feature.

Though that does bring up some fridge logic - why in the absolute hell did Cerya not say something earlier about this whole mess? Surely, being the oldest, she could have cleared up a few things all the way back in chapter 2C, or at least in 3C (She's too busy saying you suck in 3N).

One more reason why Law makes the most sense I guess.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 5, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

So any advice for post game grinding to get the materials needed to actually get upgraded weapons?

uh...

What upgraded weapons are you talking about?

Because either my answer is "gamefaqs has some good guides for this stuff" or "don't bother because by the time you get to that point you'll be stupidly over powered anyways and there are better ways to crush your soul into a million pieces".

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

That is only if you want a certain sword. If you can live without that one sword, you can deploy everyone.

Personally I find that the main draw of doing that is the ability to kill Lans (he normally runs away if you have anybody else). The sword is useless, cuz who the hell are you going to use it on at this point, plus it's not a guarantee drop so you have to save scum like mad (Chariot won't work in this case)

I find going for your bit to be to much of a hassle.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

No CHARIOT title

I may be crazy to do legal stat grinding and legal item creation.

But I ain't THAT crazy :shepface:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Feeling lazy to go look, but did we read "A Rift in the Dark Knights" at the beginning of the chapter?

Cuz that might be a problem if we didn't

Otherwise I can't think of anything else that might be wrong.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

In the original Tactics Ogre, it was crucial for the best ending.

:confused:

Do you mean Ogre Battle?

For Tactics Ogre, I could have sworn it's in the same location as the remake.

Also, speaking of Galf, I do appreciate a game that makes you WORK for the "You dun hosed up the extra mile" ending.

Glazius posted:

Oh lord, Warren's got the Anime Coughs. Poor old fool.

Pish Posh...Warren has stamina to spare.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 18, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

It should be noted that (as in most games) you get most (read, almost all) of the good stuff being a good guy.

It's already a brutal game. I'd say getting this ending is MUCH harder than getting the best ending on the good side.

Andyzero ain't kidding about with the term "dedication".

Also, if I recall correctly, one of the weapons in this game is Galf's old hammer. I can't remember which one though.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

The way I played actually put me around the proper level for those fights my first time around.

Despite being my first play-through, I read that each class level gave a character currently in the fight of that class a permanent +0.1 to all stats, so I min-maxed by minimizing what classes I would use early on.

I started with 2 (though Canopus got to stay as his class) classes, that of Rune Fencer and Archer. I eventually let Ninja and Rogue join those ranks too. I also would use unique classes like Ranger.

This resulted in me being WAY over leveled for most of the game and put me on par with the bonus fights coming up due to how random fights scale with you but story fights don't till you get to about level 30 at least.

You also level faster the less amount of classes you use due to less exp splitting.

I eventually maxed out every other class (and uniques if applicable) for my final 10 crew of poo poo-kickers to maximize poo poo-kicking potential.

Yes, I'm insane :downs:

Though in my defense, besides getting Ninja/Rogue up to speed a little, I did almost no grinding up to this point.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 6, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Ninjas/archers don't counter beasts well and those fuckers start showing up in bigger and bigger numbers later on.

Ninja have Shadowbind, which has a disturbingly high rate of success in this game. This will effectively neuter dragons/beasts most of the time.

As you're overleveled, story dragon/beasts don't do THAT well even against archers.

Also, Lobbers can do WONDERS against beasts if you bother to buy bombs (guess what most of my valks used).

Also, doing less damage to dragons than normal can actually be an advantage if you're thinking about the long game :witch:

I didn't have to go out of my way to complete that particular part of a certain sub-quest gently caress those Pumpkins though

mauman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 6, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

As much as I absolutely would love recommending using whips due her unique finisher...

That's NOT where she truly shines :downs:

If only it was possible to get 2 one-handed whips :negative:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Feel free to make recommendations - this is the furthest I've ever been in law personally, so I dunno how to build her!

Dual wield, double daggers (not 1hand swords as they are terrible). Take mighty blow for when you can drive some poor sap up against a wall (or where they otherwise can't be moved by a crit). Eventually you can drop mighty blow since it'll be massive overkill. From there, take what you like (you can take rampart aura for instance so you're enemies can't move past you, or flee from your mighty mightiness). Though you should take obvious skills (like swiftness 2, strengthen 4, spellward 2) of course. Take HP infusion to effectively make her immortal, if you like.

Not even dragons can take that kind of punishment. You shouldn't even need dragon/beast slayer. Though she CAN take those if you feel cheeky. :getin:

She can also use 2h xbows if you want to go ranged with her (weaker, but still good in the short term but will be better in the long term). Or do both as I did, dual wield at first then xbows in the post game when melee started to get weaker. You can always scavenge xbow 4 from some poor random sap later on. Or if you're going to show it off you mad, mad person you, she's a perfect candidate for the ogre set

Also, stick with ice element since the best pre-post-game daggers are ice. By the time you get to better daggers, you REALLY shouldn't need them. You don't even need to go into the super-bonus dungeon to get them.

If you go xbows, go light element since the best pre-post game xbows are light elemental and you can easily scavenge 4 in light at the beginning of the post game. Bonus points for light, since even with stronger xbows lying around, there's so much undead to fight that the light xbows remain comparable (if not better) most of the time.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Ozma is basically the best character in the unmodded game.

Her class get's surpassed at ultra high levels of play, but she's never bad. She'll forever be the best character due to her natural initiative (the fastest of anybody).

Even then, it really doesn't matter at that point, so there's no real point to NOT keep her as a K.C.

For most of the game, as one F.A.Q. put it, "At long last it is playable, and even in your wildest dreams you would not have imagined how powerful it is".

I also agree with the FAQ that the K.C.'s greatest weakness is a lack of access to higher spellward skills, so she's never truly safe from status attacks. Though spellward 2 will usually do the job.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

waah posted:

The problem is that he needs to grind her up to proper level.

I always kept Ozma with whips but I'm also a purist with some stuff. Since she has her own unique weapon and her own unique finisher, I just had to keep her that way.

And yet she comes with Ice, which is literally perfect for a dagger build. Does she even come with her weapon in Law? I want to say no, but I'm not sure as it's been a while since I finished that part of the game.

Whips also, sadly, stink to high heaven (though I'll acknowledge that they're not the worst weapons Nope, they are equal in shittiness to the most poo poo type of weapons, so they're tied for worst). Not even Ozma's finisher can save them. If that's how you want to do it due to purity or a self-nerf, then I won't judge you. But it can't be argued that it's going to truly allow Ozma to shine as bright as she can.

edit - just checked and NOPE, no whip. You can get it from the fight if you kill her, but evidently she threw it in the river while surrendering if you recruit her :downs:

Also, Ozma can be a white knight if, for some reason, you want to be REALLY weird.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 9, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Sherry is the best of the sisters, considering what the ultimate goal of a sister is in this game. She also uses arguably the best (non-light) element. Always loved her recruitment too...so poignant.

Didn't know about the early darkness summon 2, and I'm kinda shocked about that. Going to go make a darkness valkyrie now to totally abuse that. derp

And speaking of both Sherry and summon darkness, the only way to get the summon dark spell in the first game was to kill Sherry :saddowns:

tithin posted:

Deneb is a shopowner who sells rare scrolls and class marks. She is a recruitable and can be recruited in one of two forms, depending on how loving much you love to grind.

Given I am a loving MASOCHIST I will probably do the second one.

:getin:

Assuming you do this before level scaling kicks in, you will at least get a TON of money for your troubles.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

It's the level 2 Darkness Apocrypha spell!

Classes that can learn / use:

Class Usage: Lich (Lv. 37), Lord (Lv. 39), Dark Priest (Lv. 40), Astromancer (Lv. 38), Wicce (Lv. 39), Cyclops (Lv. 38)

whoops.

Misread you there. Thought you said the summon spell.

Either way, didn't realize you could get it here, even if that excites me a little less :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Forgot to mention, both Olivia and Sherry have VERY GOOD (tied for sixth place) -RT scores, which puts them very high on the "best characters list" along with good class access, and they're definitely the best sisters (which is nice if going law) stat wise.

Also, I like them better than the chaos only sisters.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

Ah, Deneb.

Deneb is one of those villains who stopped being evil, and eventually just became part of Team Good despite not actually repenting. (Also known as pulling a Vegeta.)

She was a member of the Empire in the first Ogre Battle. She used to kill a lot of people according to the locals, but then started messing with pumpkins instead, making pumpkin people and monsters. Main Character Destin could kill her, spare her, and in some cases recruit her. ...and in some endings, marry her.

Technically it could be any of these, as she's one of those people in Ogre Battle who just don't die when you kill her. She's a "Wicce" who can body-jump. I suspect she transforms pumpkins into human bodies, as all her bodies look exactly like her. So even if Destin killed her, I can see her popping back up and pestering him until he decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

....there was a way to create a host body for Deneb in Knight of Lodis; but as people complain, that game wasn't canon.

Nope, it has to be one of the spare options, since the game flat out states in the character logs that she was part of the Xenobian magicians corp.

Also, Knight of Lodis is as canon as a game can be, since the person who said it wasn't canon doesn't actually have that ability (nor ownership) to say so.

Like I said, it'd be like George Lucas saying "The Force Awakens" isn't canon.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Wow ok, looks like I desperately misunderstood scavenging. I can't scavenge spells, only skills.

Decoy only drops from one specific unit, between level 24 and 26 during the Sherri fight?

Jesus christ.

Yup, Decoy is one of the few "lost forever" things in this game. Made sure to get myself two copies of it.

Not that I ever use it, nor does every ninja that I now use have it :downs:

edit - just checked and supposedly you can get it at Heim as well. Not that I've ever seen it drop there. Same level restrictions apply though.

mauman fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 10, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

matsuno is solely responsible for the writing/universe of tactics ogre in a way that george lucas absolutely isn't. i would say he totally has authority on what counts and doesn't count in the series that he created, but as far as i know he only ever said he would have done knight of lodis differently, not anything as internet-y as 'its not canon'

We've been over this before. He doesn't own the IP. It doesn't matter how much writing he did or did not do.

Plus you're own point is invalidated by the fact that other's wrote for the universe by releasing another game. Multiple games in fact (OB 64?)

If someone wants to believe that it's not-canon, then fine that's cool. Ain't a crime to have an opinion. But you can't say empirically and factually not canon till the current owners of the ip say otherwise.

Anything else is pretty much :fap:

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 11, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

ok well I didn't say anything about empirical belief and ob64 has no bearing on him creating the series so uhhh lol? my opinion is that the original author gets the final say but the point of the post is that it was all moot because he never said anything about canon in the first place

That's cool. Some people just want to tout it as fact. I just want it to be known that it's merely opinions. Like I said, it's cool to have an opinion. And some people in the thread have stated that he said it wasn't canon.

So yeah :downs:

Birdstrike posted:

weird picture

:confused:

If this is an attack at my statement, know that it wasn't my intention to be stupid and/or offend. Just trying to have a debate.

The :fap: emoji was me just trying to be cheeky in a funny way. Please don't take that the wrong way.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 11, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I wonder if Gilbald is supposed to be Gilbert.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Don't know who that is either!

You're welcome to go into it if you like though

I actually looked it up, and Gilbald is in fact Gilbert, a character from the original Ogre Battle.

Simply put, Gilbald joined the "evil empire" which seriously jaded our favorite man-chicken. If you looked around you'd find Canopus' sister Iuria who would reveal that Gilbald joined the empire to protect his people, as the alternative was genocide (Gilbald is seriously guilt-tripping about this, too).

Revealing this to Canopus would get him to join the army, then you'd go beat up Gilbald (simultaneously liberating his people, how convenient) and Canopus would tell Gilbald to stop wallowing in self-pity (he didn't believe that he deserved redemption) and join up as well.

Happy ends for all.

Also, in case you're wondering Gilbald is a beastmaster who looks like all beastmasters do (BIG BURLY MEN WITH BEARDS AND WHIPS), who is also heavily implied to be romantically involved with Iuria. :catstare:

In fact, in the original game, one of Canopus' death quotes was for Gilbert/Gilbald to take care of his sister.

mauman fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 11, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

She was being blatantly sarcastic and didn't expect him to react like that. That's why she basically goes "Oh wait a minute I see what's happening here, you have been screwing with us!"

Yeah, she's also dealing with the whole "I'm a traitor, I'm going to get scorn thing now so gently caress them" so I don't expect kind words between ANY Dark Knight and Ozma Not even herself :getin: .

Also, she's pretty much aware that Andoras is a bit of a hypocrite.

waah posted:

So the thing about Andoras is that he's awesome, but there was a subtle but significant change to his sprite. You see, Andoras in the original TO was darker. A lot darker.

Meaning the only dark skinned person in the game is a warrior from Nidhame. A country full of people like him who are enslaved....

:cripes: Oh Japan

I'm honestly not sure what the problem is here, as it's just an allusion to things that happened in real life (some pretty hosed up poo poo was done in Africa). What better way to establish an evil empire than them being the slaving assholes?

It's better than Valkyrie Chronicles at least, where they attempted to turn the Jewish allegory of Fictional WW2 into a people who looked suspiciously Japanese :rolleyes:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

I could understand that if this was any other Dark Knight, but Andoras is being held against his will. Sure he's become comfy with his situation to an extent (if you count being rightfully afraid of the repercussions of taking on a giant empire as comfy) but when the other solution is racial genocide, then there's not much else you can do. She should try and get the guy to actively revolt and join them, not poo poo on him some more, especially when she was pretty comfy with their mission up until it became personal. Isn't it also true that if you scan some of the generic Dark Knights' stats, some of their races are listed as Bolmoccan?

Why else do you think he joined with Barbas and Martym at the first opportunity?

Considering the first thing she asks is essentially "want to join us?", and he says "nah, I'm cool being a slave and wallowing in self-pity", probably drives some of her vitriol. Also, what Tallgeese said.

And yes, I'm aware of the spoiler probably making it so he's just playing when he says he's "cool" with his situation (not that she knows that).

Also, Ozma just switched sides at this point, so maybe she's just getting the "hero" part down at this point.

Case in point - she has interesting words for herself and Oz in the time travel post-game shenanigans.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 12, 2017