Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

waah posted:

My portion of the LP is by design to show the most awful and grindy parts of the game. For all intents and purposes you should be thinking of Roderick and Nybeth as you would super bosses in any other RPG.

This....so this.

These portions of the game do not represent the game as a whole.

90-95% of the game is drat near perfect...the only issues are the crafting (which is totally skippable if so desired, and is only truly heinous at higher levels), and the post game fuckery.

Sure, it's annoying that you might not get around to seeing some pretty decent extra story stuff (youtube baby :downs:) but that does not in any way reflect the absolute perfection that is the base game.

I mean, I get why people would want to change their perceived faults within the game, or at the very least breathe new life into it...but at it's core, the game does not need any changes (outside of the crafting system maybe, the post-game is SUPPOSED to be pure fuckery so that get's a pass).

Just my opinion.

waah posted:

Probably, we Tactics Ogre fanatics tend to be devour any content we can get since we all know there will never be another game. :negative:

And now I'm sad :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Congrats man.

I don't think I could do Coda 2 ever again.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

While we wait for waah to summon up the courage to continue, would anyone care to sound off, as specifically as possible, in the differences, apart from visual of course, between the original LUCT and the PSP remake? As frustrating as the remake can be, the BS factor in the original is even more pronounced from all reports. I assume that there are not any significant functional differences between the SFC/PSX/SAT ports of the game (apart from possibly language), but I would enjoy knowing about it and perhaps waah would find it cathartic to be reminded that things could indeed be much worse.

There would be WAY to many differences. It's like trying to compare Risk to Risk legacy. There are superficial similarities, but the differences are so massive that it would take way too much to list.

Bare bones -

items had to be carried by the person (competing with equipment). btw, max of 4 items or equipment.

Death was more or less permanent till about 2/3 through the game (and even then it's still a massive threat), none of this 3 heart plus a few turns of grace bollocks.

class system was very basic. Certain classes got bonuses to certain weapons or could use certain spells, and determined stat growth, and that's pretty much it.

Alignment was WAY more important, determined what classes you could pick and had a hand in certain magic use. Also, certain alignment/class combos were a trap. Never make a neutral character a priest.

On a side note, Princess was stupidly strong (instead of just ok), and Lord was a joke in comparison (instead of the best class in the game).

Don't get me started on the elemental system.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 1, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

Pardon my stereotype, but bloody hell that's awful. Having individual item bags I would be okay with, but having such a strict limit is bollocks. It make's the 8 slots for gear and items per character of the early Dragon Warrior games sound almost generous.

It's very rare to wear 4 pieces of equipment, since that much equipment would make you stupidly slow. So you usually had at least 1 spot available for a healing item or an mp item if a mage.

So it was bad, but not as bad as you might think.

Oh, another big one is that you could only equip a small amount of spells. True spellcasters could only have like 3 (maybe 4, can't remember the exact numbers) spells. Secondary spellcasters could have only 1 (2?).

Also, exorcists were NOT male clerics. They were similar, but generally worse....except when the undead came out in force (the beginning, neutral path (ewww), and long-rear end-bonus dungeon time (but there are better options at that point).

Also, dual wielding had issues, and would usually get you killed. So ninja and sword masters were not good classes, at least till you realized that sword masters have access to stat magic and stat magic is based on dex....

Which can lead to some interesting shenanigans if you give Harborym petrify magic :downs:

Of course, sword masters now suck for real :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 1, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Oh, here was a big one that's important from recent updates....

Forbidden magic, the magic the jackass we just fought used? It was the real deal rather than the "just a slightly larger spell radius" spell. As such I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't turn the shaman sisters into shamans. They're generally better off with their original classes (you can still do the side missions though, I think).

It hit EVERYTHING on the map.

And I do mean EVERYTHING. The enemy? Hit. Your guys? Hit. That jackass enemy that hid in the very corner of the map about 40 tiles away? Hit.

And Dragon Magic Was Forbidden magic WITHOUT the friendly fire.

Do the math. :downs:

The light dragon magic in particular was stupidly good as it also acted as an exorcist spell.

As a side note, as mentioned, dex determined spell accuracy for stat magic. Witches and Warlocks (the normal stat magic users) didn't have particularly good dex making them not particularly good at it. Warlocks could use dragon magic though give those bad boys to Catiua instead

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 1, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I agree for the most part. I somewhat disagree on two points though.

1. armor could be useful if you were smart about it, and considering how lethal the original was you wanted to have something on your guys at least.

2. dual wielding was a trap early on, and only got good later in the game. You were better off making your ninja discount archers early on since the ninja stat growth was pretty good (like you said, agi and dex were both very good things to have).

One of the more "interesting" quirks to this game was that almost every class could counterattack often with 100% chance at full power. This would be fine if you could get both attacks in from the back (for full hit chance because good luck hitting some enemies from the front :downs:) and possibly kill them before they could murderize your poor ninja, but it didn't work that way. You would hit once, they would turn around and CLOBBER you (possibly killing your poor lightly armored ninja unless the rng gods are on your side), and THEN you would get your 2nd attack if you were still alive (which would likely now miss since you're attacking from the front).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I seem to recall that Ozma has some choice words here.

In fact Ozma tends to have a LOT of choice words for her former teammates in the codas.

Rather highlights how far her character has grown.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

A lot of the major story characters, as I recall, have lines in the last two chapters of the CODA but it may be worth checking the scripts on gamefaqs, they have a limited, though complete, version of the script.

I don't know where my psp is right now, or I'd check myself....but I could have sworn that Ozma chews the everlasting gently caress out of Martym here or the next fight.

edit - looked the gamefaqs file...yeah, Ozma has dialogue in EVERY coda 3 and 4 fight.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 8, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Not a problem, happy to help...

Also, that spot you mentioned at 1:07 on that (awesome) song? Complete and total callback to Ogre Battle, March of the Black Queen. It's one of the main theme's played in the game.

Considering that Lans was your first recruit in that game, totally appropriate.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 26, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Otter Madness posted:

Would the events is TO be happening at the same time as those in OB64? Or is it something that is even brought up beyond Lans' reference here?

I've seen two theories.

1 - they happen at the same time

2 - 64 happens shortly after TO.

Either way it's likely they roughly meet up if not overlap.

The main argument against 1 is that a certain character from the original game that shows up in OB64 shows up in the bad(ish) ending of TO. So for 1 to work then 64 has to end RIGHT before the end of TO.

Either that or you have to just go with the idea that it was a cameo in a non-canon ending.

Also...

Please for the LOVE OF GOD let this poo poo happen :swoon:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 28, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

"My next game is a 2500 hour epic that covers the entire Ogre Battle timeline, plus a new story that takes place afterward."

waah posted:

This sounds like heaven.

The new post game dungeon is 500 floors of randomized loot tables.

:shepspends:

I might be permanently broken.

I need this....

so...

BADLY.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 31, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I've started playing this game again why do I do this

Working on getting Ozma fitted out with Ogre Gear, take on a few heavenly generals I never got around to (which means grinding and making tuning forks), maybe even finish an actual neutral playthrough (which I've ignored because neutral sucks). Since I'll have Ozma with the ogre shield and dagger rather than the sword, maybe I'll even use the ogre blade to make Canopus a proper buccaneer with fusils and/or double attack. I hate you all

Guess I've been bored as all hell to do that. I beg you end my pain

Finally got my Fire Crest too....which meant I had to find the 1 wind god weapon I still didn't have....woot. sob

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bregor posted:

Heh, ironically enough I just stopped my current playthrough last week. I was cleaning out some old poo poo at my desk and found the CD-ROM for Heroes of Might and Magic III. I figured it was a nice little diversion until FFV Four Job Fiesta gets underway. I'm sure I'll come back to TO soon though our pain must be constant and sharp

Next goal - finish getting all of the level 4 area/missile and level 2 summoning spells from San Brosa....
WHHHHYYYYYYYYY?!

Finished getting all of the ogre gear. Ozma with a ogre shield + assassin dagger setup is amusing when her basic ranged attack (rail at, basically a magic based throw stone) suddenly does 400+ damage.