Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is one of my favorite games that I played the hell out of on PSX, though after playing the PSP version ONCE, I can't ever do it again. So many wonderful additions. So many boring slogs added to it for no reason. Can't tolerate it. Yet the PSX game by comparison just feels so lovely and now both platforms are ruined for me.

Anyway, thanks to the abandoned LP you linked to, I've already seen the revised Chaos route. Not sure if this is a vote thing, but if so: can you do Not The Chaos Route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mauman posted:

Except neutral is terrible in this game...

Hell, even the game itself tells you in multiple ways "you dun hosed up" if you pick neutral.

In other words, this game ain't SMT :D

Trying not to spoil stuff here, plus I genuinely don't know how the PSP version handles multiple paths since I only played the one and then couldn't bring myself to do others. But isn't the whole CHARIOT/WORLD system that was a major selling point for the remake designed so that the "you dun hosed up" flags can be manually un-tripped in a given path? I've seen people with parties that include characters that were mutually exclusive in the PSX version of this game, for example.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Save her. It wouldn't be Tactics Ogre without intensely difficult NPC rescue missions,

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Voting I Understand because I've never seen the Lawful route in the remake, and I'm not grinding enough to do it myself.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Neutral Vyce, at least in the original, is awesome.

He just continually ruins everything

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The end game is SO FAR AWAY.

and if Xapan is even remotely like his PSX/SNES version, you'd be ditching a really strong fighter.

Hire him.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I think it wouldn't be half as jarring if we didn't know how far the other way he skews should one choose the alternative. If Vyce had been less of an unrepentant maniac in the Chaos path and instead fit closer to the role Denam takes when he chooses Law, then I think he could have been a much better foil.

I also imagine like >90% of all players take the Chaos (at least in Chapter 1; maybe they go Neutral afterwards) route the first time they play. It'd be like doing a Legion playthrough your first time in New Vegas. Sure, you know there's unexplored content you're missing out on, but who the hell wants to play an RPG where you're a loving war criminal and monster?

And as such, everyone sees Vyce as just this malicious unredeemable rear end in a top hat the first time they play, thus making Law Route Vyce so jarring.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That fight you just did in the original has no human units.

It's just a SHITLOAD of dragons. Who aren't particularly dangerous, but take FOREVER to kill.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

RareAcumen posted:

I honestly cannot remember any names of locations in this game so I'm constantly having trouble with the plot of this game. I thought he was talking about Jenuan making a mistake backing Levi and detailing reasons why he should be killing Levi instead of working with him. I thought he was talking about Levi's sins, not his.

Jeunan is also a war criminal. We'll see a bit more on that later (unless that got written out of the remake, but so far the remake seems to've only ADDED stuff, not removed stuff.)

Basically everyone in Tactics Ogre is a war criminal, but some of them are on your side.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mauman posted:

That might go against the whole "You dun hosed up now atone for your mistakes" story which is Law.

Also, Gildas is another character that has a REALLY good RT score (I think he's either number 3 or 4).

My Gildas is a ninja (white knight is ok, just not amazing). Mirdyn just warms the bench unless there's a story reason to bring him out. I did use Mirdyn for a while though. He just didn't make the final cut for my primary 12.

A lack of Gildas is another reason that Neutral sucks.

Edit: I think Gannp use to have his own unique class. It was for all intents and purposes a beefed up beast tamer, but it's strange that the class didn't make it to the psp version.

He did. Ganb is a Beast Master, like the terrible tv show.

Everyone else is merely a beast tamer.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hobyrim was the TG Cid equivalent of Tactics Ogre SNES/PSX.. Once you had him, you would trivialize every encounter by petrifying (which was a permanent status effect; it'd never wear off on its own) half the map on the first turn. And petrifying the other half on his second turn, which he'd take before most of the slower classes on the map got their first turn. He was absurd.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tithin posted:

Was stonebloom in that game not a finisher? I never played the SNES version

There wasn't such a thing as finishing moves. Characters had HP, MP (which regenerated with time), and that's it. No death timers or hearts, either. If you were reduced to zero HP, you were just fuckin' dead (excepting for undead and a couple rare special classes that'd resurrect.)

Swordmasters could equip one spell, including status magic which was AoE with a chance to hit based on DEX.
Haborym had extremely high dex and got some sort of bonus for being earth aligned when he equipped the petrify spell (which was just called petrify).

So you'd get a naked unit (to move just before him) to feed him an MP boost to start, then hed get second move. And then the battle would be over.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Balzephon doesn't even appear in battle in the original.

I forget, because the final battle of 3N, 3L, and 3C all differ slightly. But I think you fight an Oz/Ozma tandem in the original. And kill both of them; Ozma's not playable either. Nor does she have any redeeming personality traits; she's just as sadistic as her brother.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How was this line translated in the original?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tithin posted:

Possibly. I'm torn between doing the other routes, or the end game coda, leaning towards the coda.

Feel free to talk about other routes but don't go "past" where we are in the story now

I'd love to see the end game coda, because I've never seen it before. Played the PSX game to death, but the coda's entirely new content.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

In the original game you could shield bash all those nerds into the tiles you can't walk on. They were bottomless pits, and a OHKO.

Is that still a viable tactic here?

PS: I don't remember what choice leads to what, but let's be consistent with the morally repugnant law route and do what you must

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

waah posted:

So the thing about Andoras is that he's awesome, but there was a subtle but significant change to his sprite. You see, Andoras in the original TO was darker. A lot darker.

Meaning the only dark skinned person in the game is a warrior from Nidhame. A country full of people like him who are enslaved....

:cripes: Oh Japan

Canopus' quote when he recognizes him is changed too. In the original it was "from the color of your skin and the hairiness of your body"

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It's not really shown well in the screenshots, (not a knock; I think it's just tough to do via screenshot) but Barbas accidentally shoots and kills one of his own men when he's loving around showing off his gun.

Then he decides it's too dangerous and gives it to a Dark Knight to hold. That Dark Knight needs to die in the battle so he can drop the gun for you to use. It's (at least in the original) one of three guns in the whole game.

and it loving sucks and is worthless

I assume if the gun is gettable in the remake that Tithin got it. Hell, it's probably necessary to open up the gun-related content in the game for all I know.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tithin posted:

Yeah, there's an entire class dedicated to guns. Extremely good chance that Levi's going gunning when we unlock them.

It's fine, it was meant to be one of those dumb "don't make me turn this LP around" jokes

Can you switch back from gunning in the remake? Because in the original it was a one-way street, and given how few guns there were it was basically a giant trap class.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I can't remember which does which in response to her being/not being in the battle, but I sure did vote!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

All this spoilered stuff with things you can do in Chapter 4 blows my mind.

The original game had a stupid amount of optional content in Chapter 4 to the point that I found it too grindy and tedious and I quit doing it. And I'm a completionist.

The stuff you are all referencing is bonkers.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just go beat the drat game. The final dungeon was a slog in the original and I can't imagine it's gotten any better in the remake.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There were only three guns in the original. Fusiliers were a trash class.

Anyway how are you going to do the apocrypha storyline now? Some of the Mreuva sisters are dead or missing.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Wait, really? I thought you needed each sister for the respective element. So Olivia (who lives in all chapters and you recruit her automatically, unlike the ridiculously arcane Sherri recruitment) can just do all 4?

...is Shaman also a terrible class like it was in the original?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There's a LOT more sidequest stuff in the remake, it seems. I ignored most of it since at least in the original, Hell Gate (now Palace of the Dead, I gather) was enough to make you *ludicrously* strong to the point that you could have a unit capable of murdering everything on the map before anything even moved.

...is necro/retissue a thing in this game as well? I'm guessing not since levels seem to be tied to classes rather than characters. But that was almost certainly the most broken of a series of very broken things.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

waah posted:

Split the middle. Maybe generics should have a randomized RT reduction determined on creation. Just as some uniques are better than others. There's no reason you shouldn't find an exceptional lizard warrior (or other random character classes/races) in your travels.

That's kinda how XCOM2 did it. The story factions are ludicrously powerful, but if you've been raising a couple guys with covert op bonuses and feeding them tons of ability points, generics from early in the campaign will be monsters alongside the "special" characters.

I like it that way.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tallgeese posted:

Those let you fly up, I thought?

At least in the original, yeah. Characters with flight couldn't fall. Or more accurately they'd fall and then flap back to the previous spot.

Dunno about characters with float like ghosts

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

waah posted:

Bette than things like Knight of Lodis where certain classes like beast master/dragoon are determined by if you've not killed / killed enough beast units.

Also better than spending hours having your dudes throw rocks at each other for hours.

I do enjoy the new group class system more than the old system. I just hate that you have to plan from the second you start a new game to take the most advantage of that system.

The original had that in spades.

Want a terror knight? Better be chaotic AND have 30 kills to your name.
Want a priest or cleric? Better not have more than 5 kills to your name.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The optional stuff here is absurdly arcane and unnecessary.

But at least they've made the floors a bit more interesting. Other than the first few floors in the original, and like...every 10th or so thereafter, every single floor was just a 20x20 grid with a larger inner square.

Every single floor would follow the same routine:
1.) Boost the MP of Caitua
2.) Caitua casts "Jihad," which would immediately destroy any undead on the map. For like 80% of fights, the entire enemy composition was undead, so the battle would end immediately and you'd move on to the next screen.

Oh, and also every few floors you'd run into some nerd who'd teach you a powerful skill that also had some backbiting element to it, and while they were unique they were also completely pointless since there were so many better ways of dealing with yourproblems.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What a wonderful LP; thanks so much for doing this.

The PSX version of the game was a long-time favorite and I just didn't have it in me to do all the bullshit in the more polished PSP version.

Lans Hamilton's fate always struck me as awful and gross even in a game as dark as this. I'm so glad I finally got to see (thanks to the YouTube coda link) a happier ending.

Cheers.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Slow it down, it looks great and loads fine but the text goes too fast to read.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You’re doing wonderful work.

If I’m wrong, ignore this, but...isn’t there some more content in that battle with, uh...a different deployment of your units?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I suspect they did all of this because they knew there was never going go be another game.

A pity. I loved the psx game so much and this game, weird grinding and crafting notwithstanding, is just exceptional at finishing off an already great game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

San Bronsa didn't exist in the original--pretty much only the Palace of the Dead (Hell Gate) did, along with very minor versions of the elemental shrines.

You got the "retissue" spell there which would revive a skeleton/ghost, no matter its level, as a level 1 soldier/amazon.

So you could take a level 30 skeleton, revive it, and have a level 1 unit with level 30 stats. And then level it up to 30 and repeat. Given a few cycles of this you'd end up with a unit with 999 in all stats that could just wipe out an entire map before anything moved.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You reached out to have me write a thing once upon a time. Now that we're wrapping up, I should probably get on that.

I really appreciate the work of everyone who made this thread happen (and the game, for that matter). I didn't really have the time to play the PSP remake as an adult, but as a teenager I played the hell out of the PSX game, got all 3 paths, saw all the endings, was the *second* in North America to get the Fireseal (for which I won absolutely bupkus), and the fate of Lans Hamilton always sat poorly with me. I'm so glad the PSP game was made in a massive labor of love, and I'm so glad this thread was made in another labor of love to show off all of this.

Just a masterpiece.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

akkristor posted:

Ok, assuming they are remaking "Tactics Ogre".

As far as I know there are only two "Tactics Ogre" games. The original Let Us Cling Together on PSX, and the prequel Knight of Lodis on GBA. The SNES and N64 games were all "Ogre Battle" games.

The PSX Let Us Cling Together was remade on PSP, also titled Let Us Cling Together. It's often considered the definitive, and is certainly the most well known Ogre game.

So to hazard a guess, it's probably going to be a remake of Let Us Cling Together. However, given the recent Chrono Cross Radical Dreamers re-release, there is a non-zero chance that it will also contain Knight of Lodis.

I can’t imagine they’d re-remake LUCT since the PSP version is already a perfect remake save for the grindier poo poo. Gotta figure it’s a release on newer systems but it’ll be largely the same game.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

...but the 2010-2011 game was *already* a remake. What more is needed here?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I mean, it's a 3rd (4th, in JP) release of the exact same game. Obviously everyone in this thread is getting it, but let's not pretend this is some great new poo poo. When Skyrim comes out on every system I'm sure Skyrim fans are pretty excited, but nobody else is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

JustJeff88 posted:

Could you link that? I have no idea what you are referring to. I genuinely thought that this was the only LUCT LP ever done.

I did one too but it was back in the bad old waffleimages days and it couldn't be archived :shrug: