Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Welcome to Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

TOLUCT is an SRPG, done by the guy who later went on to do Final Fantasy Tactics (ok there was some other people involved too, it wasn't a one man show). In a lot of ways, this game is the precursor to that one.

This version is the PSP remake that came out in gently caress IT CAME OUT IN 2010 HOW IN THE gently caress IS THAT 7 YEARS AGO, that reviewed really really well. By all accounts it's a very good remake with a few loving bizarre decisions factored in that can really ruin the flavour, but if you can tolerate those irritations, you're in for a treat.

loving crafting man

How am I playing this

PPSSPP emulator, which is extremely cool and good. Don't worry, I own the game on the PSN and have the original collectors edition kicking about my house somewhere.

The emulator works near flawlessly, the only irritating thing I've noticed on the default settings is some audio tearing which while annoying, is nothing particularly gamebreaking.

The great thing about playing via emulator is the ability to gently caress with the memory and fix crafting so it's no longer bullshit. Doing so also has the added benefit of removing a particularly bullshit grind.

Why this game?

I really enjoy it. I played through the Chaos route on release and stopped playing, recently got the itch again and couldn't find any decent LPs of it (with the exception of Helmet 10 Warehouse's fantastic, yet abandoned effort that stopped just prior to the end boss of the Chaos route).

How's this going to work

Mostly screenshot, maybe a video sometimes if i'm drunk. I have no schedule I'm going to force myself to keep, but I hope to get at least a map done every few days.

Thankfully some dork's ripped the script so I don't need to manually write that poo poo down by hand.

Thanks dork / gamefaqs!

Spoilers

The story in the game is like 20 years old, but it's surprisingly good? like, don't be a dick. How hard can that be.

hahaha we're hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Index

Chapter 1:

Prologue - Prologue
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3 - Battle
Episode 3 - Story
Episode 3 - Outro & Class Overview

Episode 6 - Quadriga Fortress - Nybeth
Episode 7 - Character update and Story
Episode 8 - Gorborza Plains Battle
Episode 9 - Arkhaiopolis of Rhime - The News, and a Decision

gently caress y'all Episode 1 - Arkhaiopolis of Rhime - Cistina gets crit in the face and dies a lot edition

Episode 9 - Arkhaiopolis of Rhime - Victory
Episode 10 - Story
Episode 11 - Not a Filler Episode
Episode 12 - Xeod Moors Battle
Episode 13 - Balmamusa
Episode 13-1 - Balmamusa Proposition and the end of chapter 1
Episode 14 - Balmamusa Law - End of Chapter 1

Chapter Two (Law) - I Will Fear No Reproach

Episode 15 - Ruins of Balmamusa
Episode 16 - Equipment and Stats update
Episode 16-1 - The Xeod Moors
Episode 17 - The Rhea Boum Aqueduct

gently caress all y'all Episode 2 - Why Crafting Sucks & Ravness forgets about concept of blocking edition.

Episode 18 - We rescue Ravness edition
Episode 19 - Port Acyton Battle & Stats update
Episode 20 - Port Acyton - It all comes crumbling down, crumbling down
Episode 21 - Pirate Fortress Rescue Mission
Episode 22 - The Tynemouth Hill before Home
Episode 23 - A Heroes Welcome
Episode 24 - The Golborza Plains
Episode 25 - Leonar
Episode 26 - The Slaughter of Rhime
Episode 27 - The Fall of Duke Ronwey
Episode 28 - I Will Fear no Reproach

Chapter Three (Law) - Deceiver & Deceived

Episode 29 - Almorica Castle
Episode 30 - State of The Union, the players and the armies
Episode 31 - Training Montage - Madura Drifts
Episode 32 - Brigantys Castle Wall
Episode 33 - The Fall of The House of Diddaro
Episode 34 - This episode brought to you by the letter "gently caress"
Episode 35 - More Snow
Episode 36 - The Siege of Coritanae Keep
Episode 37 - The Siege of Coritanae Ward
Episode 38 - Ravness Recruited
Episode 39 - Murdering Necromancers
Episode 40 - Farewell Catiua
Episode 41 - Reconquering Almorica Castle since 4000BC
Episode 42 - The Last of the Galgastani
Episode 43 - Dragons - The Game, of the Movie, of the Book.
Episode 44 - Retaking the Arkhaiopolis
Episode 45 - The Siege of Phidoch Castle
Episode 46 - Siege of Phidoch Ward and the end of Chapter 3

Chapter 4 - Let us Cling Together

Episode 47 - ~Exposition~
Episode 48 - En Route to the Order
Episode (49? 50? - I don't know anymore) - Revelations
Episode 51 - Exposition, the musical
Episode 52 - Mreuva
Episode 53 - gently caress all y'all episode 3 - Ozma fields an effective opposition
Episode 54 - 700 hours later
Episode 55 - Clearing up loose ends
Episode 56 - Trash clearing
Episode 57 - Barbas at Barnicia
Episode 58 - Catiua
Episode 59 - Princess Catiua
Episode 60 - Clearing our way to the Royal City
Episode 61 - Cleaving a path through the Royal City
Episode 62 - Brantyn
Episode 63 - Fusils Sidequest - Pistolero
Episode 64 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 1 - Unlocking the Temples
Episode 65 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 2 - Water Temple
Episode 66 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 3 - Ice Temple
Episode 67 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 4 - Thunder Temple
Episode 68 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 5 - Earth Temple
Episode 69 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 6(9) - Air (Nice) Temple
Episode 70 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 7 - Fire Temple
Episode 71 - Endgame, Part One. Ascending the Hanging Gardens
Episode 72 - Endgame, Part Two. Descending to the depths of the Hanging Gardens
Episode 73 - Endgame, Part Three. Dorgalua, Ogre King
Episode 74 - Endgame, Part Four, Epilogues

THE END?

Postgame - CODA & Associated sidequests

Episode 75 - The Wicce, Deneb
Episode 76 - POTD Floors 1 - 25
Episode 77 - CODA Episode 1 The Songstress, Part one.

I BURNED OUT HERE

Waah's Postgame

WORLD - Episode 1
WORLD - Episode 2: A Sea Witch’s Final Song
WORLD - Episode 3: I immediately regret this decision
WORLD - Episode 4: Arrrrrr (You Checking the Warren Report Constantly?)
WORLD - Episode 5: An Arrow in the Bakram
WORLD - Episode 6: For Those Who Went The Full Distance
WORLD - Episode 7 – Broke Down Palace
WORLD - Episode 7.5 – The Mechanics Update
WORLD - Episode 8 – Skeleton Crew
WORLD - Episode 9 – You Know What I Keep In The Linin
WORLD - Episode 10 – Are We There Yet?
WORLD - Episode 11 - Creepiness is Next to Lichiness
WORLD - Episode 12 – Shang Tsung's Favorite Game Mechanic
WORLD - Episode 13 – With Friends Like These
TACTICS OGRE - DOUBLE U TEE EFF EDITION
WORLD - Episode 14 – You Call This Archeology?
WORLD - Episode 15 – Face Me If You Dare
WORLD - Episode 16 – Dillon Lanselot! You Son of a Bitch!
WORLD - Episode 17 – CODA 4 Part 1 -False Flags and Crisis Actors
WORLD - Episode 18 - You Mustn’t Be Afraid to Dream a Little Bigger, Don Quixote
WORLD - Episode 19 - I'm Super, Thanks For Asking!
WORLD - Episode 20 – No, I Just Have Something In Both Eyes
WORLD - Episode 21 - You Have Twenty Seconds To Comply
WORLD – Episode 22 - You Gave Me Power In Your Own God’s Name

(There are no missing episodes 23 & 24, Waah just skips to number 25 for some reason)

WORLD – Episode 25 – Better Grab an Umbrella
WORLD – Episode 26 – I Wish I Knew How to Quit You
WORLD - Episode 27 – Boats Against the Current
WORLD - Episode 28 – I Find Your Lack of Faith Planning Disturbing
WORLD – Episode 29 – Okay! I’m Reloaded (With Items)!
WORLD - Episode 30 – All Good Things Must Come to an End

Class Overviews / Guides

The Warrior
The Archer
The Wizard / Enchantress
The Cleric
The Rune Fencer / Valkyrie
The Knight

Demihuman - Patri / Matriarch
Demihuman - Familiar
Lich - Character Guide
Divine Knight - Character Guide

tithin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 13, 2023

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prologue

Purveyors of such fine games as... final fantasy. That's about it these days? gently caress if I know what else square's been doing other than pissing money up the wall on "Not Female Cloud we swear's adventures in time travel"

Supposedly there's multiplayer, but I've never encountered another human being who has a psp so I've never gotten to use it.

poo poo's hosed son, what's your name?

Gonna stick with "Tuatha" for the moment just to get the intro done and out of the way and get us into the story. I will go back and start a new game based on the coming results.

Vote for your favourite name - I reserve the right to veto obvious garbage names

Same deal, it's the standard 31/12 calendar dates iirc. Most popular date wins. I have zero idea what this impacts, if anything - I'm pretty sure it's starting stats and little else.

We now have five questions based on The Tarot, again, most popular answer wins.

The choices made, we start to walk our path

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 1: There is Blood on my hands, How Long Till it Lies on my heart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pncE48l4DA8

Strongly recommend you watch this video just to get an idea of what's going on - the intro is entirely a flashback.

As night falls, and snow falls, the lights in the village dim as people go to sleep

But we've only just met!

Through the village comes storming the Dark Knights Loslorien

They cleave and cut and murder their way through the town, leaving innocents dead, and their children to suffer.

(it takes a special kind of dickhead to murder a mother in front of their child and then walk off and leave the kid on their own to suffer)

A one eyed man, sans raven, sits astride a horse lion goat, I have no idea what the gently caress that thing is, and watches the carnage.

Our hero and heroine have their father dragged away from their church by force.

This ends the flashback and we move back to the present day

: Then it's time. Right, sister?

: Time to end this madness. We can't beat him. You know that.

: What are you saying, Catiua? You'd have us pass up a chance like this?

: They're the ones who've been foolish. And we stand to gain.

: Don't tell me you're scared! If you've lost your taste for blood, I'll do this myself.

: That's enough, Vyce. Let's go.

The party depart the house and reconvene outside

: Lanselot is Captain of the Dark Knights, and they are the source of Bakram power. Kill Lanselot, and you remove one of the pillars supporting them. The Bakram will falter, if only for a moment. Yet that moment will be all the encouragement the Galgastani require. They want Valeria for their own, and they will move to take it.

: The turmoil of the last war has only just settled, and you'd start another?

: Are we Walister so free of turmoil now, Catiua? We are less than vermin in their eyes - insects to be crushed underfoot.

: If war begins anew, we'll die just the same.

: We'll flank them! Tuatha, go round behind.

: Right.

Tuatha moves to the rear of the house, and we get our first Mission objective screen

Don't believe THESE LIES, he's not level 2 - but that doesn't matter for this introduction fight.

Here's our first fight, in the southwest we have five targets, (whos names we'll get to in the next update), and in the northeast, we have Tuatha, Vyce and Catiua.

I'll try to open each map with a top down view of the battlefield to give some perspective of what we're facing. There's a lot of verticality to these maps, so the top down view sometimes doesn't always convey height very well.

We move Vyce to the south east and attack the hawk man, who blocks our attack with ease (0% chance to hit!)

: Who goes there?

: The Resistance?

: I expected a warmer welcome than this! ...Eh? They're children!

: Wait. Do you even know who we are?

: You're Lanselot, and that makes you my enemy!

: Lanselot is my name, true. How is that you know me?

: How could I forget you!? The Dark Knights laid torch to this town only a winter past!

: The Dark Knights...? But we come from the kingdom of New Xenobia to the east.

Apparently forgetting Lanselot is easy to do

: One eye, you say? Would that he lacked my name as well. His reputation, it seems, does me no favors.

[Both groups relax, and tensions die down]

: No marauding knights us, but mercenaries come looking for work.

: I am Lanselot Hamilton, a Holy Knight of Xenobia.

: And I am Canopus, the one they name Wind Caller. Our aged companion here is -

: The Star Seer, Warren Omon, at your service.

: Mirdyn Walhorn, a knight of Xenobia, as it please you.

: Gildas is my name. There now, no need to be frightened.

: I wasn't - I...I don't know what to say.

: Forgive us, good knights. But perhaps this meeting might benefit us both. We have need of strength such as yours.

: Tell us your tale, then. We are strangers in this land, and I would hear more of it.

: I'm Vyce...and it would seem you are not our enemy.

: I am the sibyl Catiua, and this is my brother, Tuatha.

We're presented with our first real choice. This one has absolutely gently caress all impact that I can discern. Later choices will not be so lacking in consequence. For this choice, I simply chose the first one. Future choices of consequence will be the result of a thread vote.

: Already forgotten, though you did give us quite the surprise. Now, do you think we might talk somewhere out of this wretched heat?

: We have just the place. It's not much, but it's secret and it's safe.

The collective adjourn to the church. A short time passes, during which Catiua explains just how badly hosed the Wallister peasantry is.

: So Lodis sent them the Dark Knights Loslorien.

: Loslorien is an order under the direct command of High Priest Sardian, ruler of Lodis. They are said to be the greatest of the sixteen orders, and the high priest's favorite besides. Yet he uses them not in open battle, but in shadows and secrecy. They are his ears, and when there is need of it, his dagger. No knights in shining armor, these. In word and deed, they are as dark as their name.

: And these Dark Knights whatever-you-call-them are backing the Bakram, neh?

: So why are you come to our isles? Does Xenobia think to claim Valeria as her own? Do Lodis and Xenobia mean to bring their wars to our shores!?

: Enough, Vyce.

: We're outlaws. No place waiting for us back home, neh?

: We've come to find work - preferably of the well-paying variety.

: There is nothing to forgive. Your passion does your credit. Tell me, what will you do now?

: For one, we have to get Duke Ronwey out of Almorica.

: Duke Ronwey? He is your leader?

: Not just us. He leads all the Walister. The Galgastani hold him captive in their castle. They plan to execute him, if the rumors are to be believed. We mean to stop them.

: A Duke, is it? If his purse matches his title, there's coin to be had.... A little rescue work might be just the thing. How about it, Lanselot? What say you?

: Look. I'm sorry for not trusting you. It's true that if we're to rescue the duke, we're going to need help.

: Then there's nothing to be gained jabbering on here, neh? To Almorica Castle!

: Wait! The castle is well defended. A fight there would mean our deaths - and yours, Lord Knight. And I...I've seen enough of fighting. Enough of death.

: What about you, Denam? Would you have our aid?

Again, another mislead choice. The Xenobians will accompany you regardless of your choice. For this, I'll go with option 2.

: No. This is our fight. I must decline your offer.

: What if I told you we make for Almorica too - not to aid you, but to fight for our own purpose. The arrow of the nobleman and the arrow of the hunter may find the same hare, though one shoots for sport and the other shoots for his supper. What say we work together, while such cooperation is to our mutual benefit?

: Why not let 'em join us? I've a feeling they'll come whether we want it or not.

: Then it's settled. We will prepare at once.

The Knights and Vyce depart the building, but before Tuatha can depart, Catiua calls to him

*brother :v:

: Why do you not heed me, brother? I know how you must feel, but what of my feelings? I don't want to lose you. Our father is dead - a hard truth, but a truth all the same. In all the world, you are the only one bound to me by blood, brother. I couldn't bear to let you die. Forgive me. I know my words will not sway you. Only promise me.... Promise you'll never leave your sister.

Before Denam can respond, Vyce returns to the building

: What's keeping you? Everyone's ready.

Tuatha departs without responding to Catiua

: I have no love of war. But I'd sooner die on my feet than on my knees.

: You would die on the backs of others.

: You were the one who brought them in here, Catiua!

: Because when I find a tool well-suited for a job, I use it. At least one of us has the sense to recognize an opportunity. You should thank me!

: Feh. Is that how you see people? As tools? I'd have expected more of a sibyl.

[He leaves Catiua alone. She lowers her head and sits in silence.]

: I only want to see an end of death.

It's the first Day of Godscale, the first day of the new year and we are ready to depart for Almorica Castle.

For the first few fights, we'll be fighting with a mostly pre-configured party, but once the game opens up a little, we'll re-work the party because bar two party members, I am open to using what people want.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A Massive thanks to Bifauxnen for helping me with the talking head sprites, because I am garbage, just garbage with doing almost anything with images that isn't just resizing them

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NullBlack posted:

Actually, this has an effect: it swaps the sexes of the free batch of generic characters you get a little later (eg. you get a male warrior with one choice, you get a female warrior with the other). No stat differences between the sexes, so it's cosmetic.

Neat! I didn't know that! :)

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I love this game. I also hate this game. I also still have the tarot cards.

I can reprise my class overviews from H10, though I suspect I should wait until we have classmarks to start.

You're absolutely welcome to.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the intro video is private

Fixed

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

Name: Obvious Garbage

Too long ;-)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That'll do to get some names in the pot. I'll give it 24 more hours to let people vote for their favourite and then start from there:

Dave
Anidave
Da'Ve
Ramza
Perry
Gawker / Drudge
Busb
Levi
Mercury
May
Bro

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, I'm probably gonna set that aside for later, Bro

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 1: Part 2 - The one where Levi got three turns and contributed nothing of value

The world map's pretty straightforward, your little dude stays at the feather, move the feather to the portion of the map you want to go to. Each dot of the map functions as a waypoint, so you'll hit each waypoint in turn to get to where you need.

Your direction is usually pretty limited until right close to the end of the game, so your next goal is usually right in front of you.

Looking briefly over our party menu, we've got 8 units at present, 7 of which are classed as guests, meaning we've got zero control over them right now. We have limited control, in the respect that we can control inventory and talents, but there's zero reason to play with those - yet.

Denam (Warrior)
Vyce (Warrior)
Catiua (Priest)
Lanselot (Paladin)
Warren (Astromancer)
Canopus (Vartan)
Mirdyn & Gildas (White Knight)

I am jumping ahead of myself a little here, but it ties into something as a part of this update - individual units don't explicitly level up. Classes do. Each units stats are based primarily on the class they choose, and the level of that class. Each unit gains a small boost to their core stats when they level up in a class, that carries over when they change to other classes, but those stats do drastically change when you change classes.

At the end of each battle, you get a little fanfare, showing what classes gained exp, and what individual units gained, stat point wise.

Classwise, I want you, for the moment, to forget about the existence of Lanselot, Warren, Mirdyn & Gildas because very shortly they're going to disappear from our rosters for a very long time, and the classes that they possess are in two cases, extreme end game after a bunch of grind, and mid game respectively. Any development they achieve now will be utterly insignificant by the time they return to our roster.

This is the equipment screen, you have 5 slots, Left & Right Hand, Chestpiece, lower body, and jewellery. As you can see, Levi here has a unique piece of equipment, the Azure Necklace, that he's probably going to wear for a good chunk of the game. It gives him a nice boost to his stats. Left and right hand are for weapons, and naturally two handed weapons exist that'll use up both slots.

Skills exist, and are the main backbone of unit conditioning. You can have up to 10 active skills at any time, and these skills are used to level up weapon slots in order to access "Finishing Moves", as well as class specific attacks, defenses, and spellcasts.

An earth mage for example, can learn and use Earth Magic via scroll, but can't use Earth Magic innately. They need the skill to do that. There's skills for damned near everything in the game, and some of them are a royal pain in the dick to level up. Levi currently has no skills equipped because he's level 1 and we've just started.

Half of the upcoming battle is done as a sort of extended tutorial - the only unit we can control in this battle, again, is Levi. There's also a massive disconnect, wherein Catiua and Vyce are talking amongst themselves and to Levi, while Lanselot et all are breaking the fourth wall and talking to you, the player, directly.

Forgive the transition screenshot here, but we've approached Almorica castle and been presented with what's known as a "Stronghold Battle"

Stronghold battles are usually where the big story events occur, you're storming a castle and taking it for the resistance, and so it's to be expected that you'll have a gruelling slugfest to get in there and take the important people inside.

The exterior of the castle is being held by a Mercenary troop, who leaked the news of Duke Ronwey being executed as a trap for the rebels.

Lanselot just flat out demolishing the fourth wall here.

: What's more, you can issue these commands in any order you see fit. Think on your choices well.

: Powerful magic requires greater amounts of MP, so think ahead before casting a spell.

FINALLY, after literally everyone else on the map takes a turn, we're allowed to move.

Here's the map layout.

Warren for the moment is, functionally, a mage with access only to Dark and Thunder Magic, and given his level, it's low level magic only. He casts "Paralytic Wave" on the nearest enemy.

Paralytic wave is a Cross Shaped AoE spell that has the chance to grant the "Stunned" affliction. The name is misleading, what it does is give a chance that when the unit attempts to take any action except moving, that they'll fumble, and lose their turn.

: You must assign a unit the appropriate Command Skill before he can use the spells he's learned.

Which is pretty much what I said before. Only with fewer words.

: Some Classmarks can be found for sale in shops. But not all are to be had so easily.

:Probably goes with saying, but if you change a unit to a class you've been neglecting, more likely than not it will be level one.

: What's more, if you take on someone of a class you've never encountered, you'll have to work him up one level at a time.

Yeah, they're not joking about that. The game has a lot of grind to it just to keep classes up to speed, and that ignores the "skills" part of the grind too. Still the later classes are well worth grinding out for the power boost they bring stats wise.

Mirdyn moves up the field and approaches the enemy soldier from the right, hacking off 44hp out of his 111.

: A rat can smell a trap, but not our rebels, eh? High time we were rid of your lot.

: A trap. And we walked right into it.

: Trap or no, we fight or we die! I've never let a Galgastani get the better of me, and I don't mean to start today!

: Focus, Vyce! Our first duty is to save the duke!

: Don't lecture me on duty! Your only duty is to stay alive!

: You should not speak to Denam so! He was only trying to help!

Lanselot lectures us on Passive Skills, before walking up and straight up murdering a man in a single strike (something like 144 damage out of ~110hp)

Then, as though he didn't have a mans blood running down his sword, turns to us to try and sign us up to the "Rampart Aura's pretty good" fan club

Enemy mage at the back gets pissed off and casts Vulcan Lance (a tier 1 earth projectile magic spell) at Mirdyn. This has the effect of also landing Mirdyn with an "Earth Adverse" debuff, increasing damage taken from Earth Spells by, ~20-25%?

If I ever figure out gifs, I'm sure this'll look great :v:

Enemy archer also decides that Mirdyn's her best target and lands a shot for 4 damage, against 149 total. Total damage down to my party: 26.

Catiua's up next and promptly heals Mirdyn for 39 damage. Total damage done to my team: -13.

Holy poo poo, we finally get a turn!

We check the enemy soldiers walking range and park Levi just at the last possible place the soldier can reach him. Positioning is important, as a single soldier in your back lines has the potential to cause some serious havoc.

Warren moves up behind Levi and hits the enemy Warrior with a Paralytic wave, which hits.

The second enemy Archer moves up, targets Vyce and shoots, landing a crit and knocking him back a square next to Catiua.

It doesn't always happen, but crits have the potential to knock back enemies, and can be skilled into by most classes to apply even to regular hits.

Too late, Bapal realises that these aren't just random peasants moaning about their lord giving them what for

Canopus and Gildas get a turn, with Gildas knocking Ethelred the Warrior from 67 to 21 HP, and then Canopus finishing him off.

Mirdyn walks around the enemy Valkyrie's flank (we'll get to those later) and slices into her with his sword for 30 damage.

The enemy mage, pissed off that his superb damage was undone, hits Mirdyn with earth lance again - for 25 damage. an extra 3 damage would be about 10% rounding up if I'm being generous, so maybe the "adverse" debuffs aint that great.

Every Spell School has an emblem as its focus, and it comes out nicely midcast with a flash, that I completely failed to capture in this screenshot.

The first archer still thinks Mirdyn's her best shot, and takes another shot at him.

Mirdyn's life flashes before his eyes as the arrow flies... and does gently caress all damage

Catiua drops another heal on Mirdyn. Each time you cast a spell, the character has a chance to utter a unique phrase related to the spell.

It doesn't completely heal him this time, but the total damage to our party's still less than 15 overall

Warren moves up and cracks out a "Lightning Bow" spell at the enemy Valkyrie Bess. Like "Vulcan Lance", "Lightning Bow" is the Tier 1 Thunder Magic projectile magic spell.

Sweet merciful gently caress

Both enemy archers takes a shot at Mirdyn.

But he's having none of that poo poo, and blocks both of them

Having too little health to do much of use, the Valkyrie tries to put her back to the wall

[i]Gildas doesn't believe in mercy however, and slices off the last of her two hp putting her in the dirt.

[i]Canopus flies up further and drops an arrow into the mage wot hates Mirdyn for 53 damage

[i]Not captured, but Mirdyn and Levi both move to attack Bapal, knocking him from 136 life to 84.

[i]OH :saddowns:

Expect to see a lot of this.

For spoils, you'll get the "set" victory list, and anything in a bag lying on the ground at the end of the level. If an enemy picks up a big, you lose that item, so try to pick it up before enemies do.

XP is divided up per class, with more classes getting more XP. I'm not sure of the exact XP breakdown.

Everyone gets an equal share of skill points.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

theshim posted:

It can get ludicrously grindy on certain things and the majority of the classes just felt samey to me. I wouldn't be surprised for people to get bored or turned off, though I pushed through and had plenty of fun, though I still have two gripes. One we won't see for a while and the other is THAT GODDAMNED POT.

[canned cheering.wav]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tallgeese posted:

I thought there was a code to skip the pot animation.

Only on cfw / emulation, which I'll cover a bit later when I get to crafting

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It'll be a vote thing yeah. I like the chaos route but I expected that we'd be doing the law route this time

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silvergun1000 posted:

Tithin, do you plan on doing the post-game stuff at all?

Vaguely yes. We're a ways away from that yet, but the intention at this stage is to hold a vote to either check out the other routes or do the post game stuff.

Anyway, I'm finishing up, brief trip to South Aus so my next update will be in the following couple of days (flying home today)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Working on the next update tonight

might be accompanied by gifs, might not. I suck with images (may have mentioned this before) and should be up in the next day or two.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Need some feedback

size comes to about 5.5 meg for this one gif - which seems... excessive.

What's the normal process for creating a gif from an AVI file? I'm currently recording the avi in fraps, importing to photoshop CC, export to web. Would compressing the AVI to an MP4 or something assist with the gif file size?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 3: Stop hitting my friend you assholes

Alt: I'm bad at gifs

Full disclosure, I had hoped tonight to be able to chuck in a few gifs of some neat animations like blocking arrows or attacks, etc, but it didn't work out. I'm sure there's an easier way to create gifs than the loving convoluted way I figured out how to do it that'll result in smoother quality or smaller sizes, but I imagine it'll be a long term project.

Enemy Roster -

1 Knight
1 Valkyrie
1 Witch
2 Soldiers
2 Archers

Map Layout

: Listen well. We face the rogues who slew Bapal and his men.

: Underestimate them and share Bapal's fate! Give these rebel swine a taste of Galgastani Steel! Almorica shall never fall!

Get it? TO battle? Tactics Ogre Battle? TO battle?

Eh, maybe it's not as funny as I think it is

The AI moves their poo poo up, and Canopus takes a shot at one of the soldiers.

gently caress, send a medic!

Makes me question where the gently caress that arrow actually landed that he went cross eyed.

Our forces move towards each other, and the Enemies melee gets first strike, with the Western Valkyrie attacking Gildas

But he's having none of it, blocks her attack with ease then contemptuously smashes her face in with a nice counter.

Note regarding counter: It's also a skill, which we'll cover in later updates, classes don't have it by default.

Lanselot moves up and backhands the unlucky soldier into loving dust for more than his maximum HP.

The second soldier moves down and smashes an axe into Gildas's back for 21 HP, pissing him off and causing him to counter for 8 damage.

: Our struggle with the Walister goes back generations - it's no concern of yours.

: Or do you seek to claim Valeria, as Lodis does?

: I will have your answer!

: We are men without a country. We have lent them our swords because it suits us to do so.

: And we're looking for mercenary work, as it happens. Not hiring, by any chance?

: And worry you'll leave for a bigger purse? We don't need outsiders to do our killing.

: He makes a good point. Let's rescue this Duke, collect our reward, and be done with it.

: A craven who would choose lucre over loyalty deserves only one reward!

The battle resumes with Warren now stepping up to dunk on the soldier who had a crack at his mate Gildas, slamming him with a lightning bow for 60 damage, and knocking him down to 47/115.

The Witch at the back decides to take a crack at Gildas herself with some Air Magic.

Deadshot is the first tier projectile air spell, in the same vein as lightning bow / vulcan lance.

Enemy archer at the back takes his best shot at Lanselot and lands a 57% shot to hit for 7 damage against 154 life. Don't worry, the kid gloves are coming off real loving soon.

Catiua drops a heal on Gildas to heal the 45 damage the enemy team have collectively done for him, recovering back to 151/155.

Gildas takes his turn and cracks the soldier who axed him a question in the face, with a sword stroke to the face knocking him to 12/115 and landing his HP into critical.

He then moves up the stairs allowing Mirdyn to take his place and finish the poor bastard off.

Levi gets a turn and there's no valid targets, so he goes to grab loot and sulk about his lack of murder. True story: the first time I did this fight (with far less screenshots and far more AVIs) Levi got three turns and his last turn killed Agares.

Follow your dreams kids!

Agares moves forward and actually has the move range to land in front of Levi. He takes his move, lines up his shot and fumbles with Levi blocking it.

Canopus goes for the sweet meat at the back, critting Arlette the witch for 56 damage.

The Valkyrie lands a hit on Mirdyn and then retreats towards our backline, catching Lanselot's attention, who again hits the poor girl she explodes into dust.

poo poo! He actually crit her! I'm pretty sure with that high a hit he went back in time and killed her parents too.

Enemy archer at the back decides to take a leaf from Canopus' playbook and fires a shot at Warren which fails to connect.

This naturally pisses off the old man who decides to fire back a Lightning Bow at the archer, for exactly 61 damage.

The second Archer, being too far away from the action, takes the opportunity to line up a shot on the squishiest target around, Canopus, which fails to connect, with Canopus idly smacking the arrow out of midair before it lands and returning fire at the enemy archer for a small amount.

The enemy witch, undettered by her tiny hp pool, and that Gildas is back to nearly full health, chucks another Deadshot at him which connects.

The first archer takes another shot at Warren which crits for 25 damage, knocking the old man back into the statue behind him.

Levi's third turn!

Levi getting all Caesar up in here

Mirdyn follows Levi's lead

Gildas rubs salt in the Witches wounds liberally by healing himself. Did I mention that White Knights can heal like clerics can?

Oh well, I'm sure it'll come up. sometime.

Not appreciating the gangbang on him, Agares moves in on Vyce and slices him for 25 damage, with Vyce countering for 5 in what appeared to be an unarmed animation. I'll need to check his weapons, later.

Canopus finishing off the witch.

Annoyed that old mate whiskers got hurt (face it, he's old, a stiff breeze'd probably kill someone like that back in the day), Lanselot drops a heal on him.

He then also gets looting, picking up some Mend Leaf, your basic tier1 heal consumable, which does some bullshit amount of healing, like, 25.

Warren's up and drops a Paralytic Wave which shouldn't land

Wait, what the gently caress.

Ok, so minor explanation here?

See that big "Target" on Agare's banner? that actually renders him immune to Crowd Control. Or it's meant to.

As a general rule, you can't crowd control boss units, be they slow, sleep, stun, whatever it is, you name it, it has a 0% chance to land. Except this one just landed. Maybe it's a bug because Warren's a guest unit or something.

The second archer at the back takes aim at Canopus again, pissed off that he casually hosed her shot the first time, she lands a crit for 19 damage.

He returns fire for 10.

Vyce punches Agares in the back of the head then runs away.

The first Archer lands a shot on Vyce and Levi runs behind Agares and crits him in the back of the head for 24 damage.

Can you spot how many more turns of life Agares has?

Mirdyn gets in on the action.

Gildas cleans house topside by finishing off one of the two archers.

Canopus flies behind the archer who crit him and axes her for 51 damage.

Sensing the clawing hands of death upon him, Agares makes a Beeline for Warren and hits him for 30 damage. Warren's up next and returns fire for 44 damage.

horns.aiff

tithin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 2, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 3-1: The aftermath

: Sweeter still that Walister youths came to my aid. Denam, was it? Doubtless you and your friends are a gift from the Great Father Himself. The Walister boon is great, and our future bright!

: We are not alone in our loyalty. Upon word of your grace's release, many Walister have left their haunts and hideaways for Almorica.

: And there is still time before the Galgastani come to remedy my freedom, though not long, I fear. We must regroup.

: Now I must ask if the tale our guests have told us is, indeed, the truth.

: Upon my sword, it is. We are outcasts from our land.

: I do not doubt your sword. It is the whiskers of your companion that give me pause.

: I hear a diviner matching his description was ever at the side of King Tristan when your New Xenobia came into being two years past. And that you, Sir Lanselot, were captain of the Holy Knights.

: Lodis plagues us with the Dark Knights Loslorien. How do we know you are not some new menace visited upon Valeria? If New Xenobia does not seek to usurp, I would have your proof.

: Your grace, these Holy Knights risked their own lives to win your freedom.

: A man can claim knighthood only when he serves a worthy lord. It is for such a man that we seek.

: I have your word then, and its proof shall be in your deeds. You sought a reward - you shall have it, and employment besides. I would have you train our Walister loyals as guards and soldiers here in Almorica.

: As you wish

: I met him myself, once. A wise man, Abuna Prancet. What happened in Golyat was...a tragedy.

: Please, your grace, you must avenge our father - no - all the people of Golyat.

: Yet the enemy before us is Galgastan. They must come first.

: And for that, I will need knights. Knights...such as yourselves. Will you join my table at Almorica?

: Us? Knights!?

: As young heroes of Walister, you will serve as a shining example to your clansmen. I would have you become knights in my direct service. You will be the spear that strikes swift and true. Well, what say you?

: O-of course. I mean, as you wish, your grace! I know Denam's with me on this.

Name our newly formed order of knights. I'll give this vote a few days.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

grieving for Gandalf posted:

What are you doing to improve the grind and crafting mater on? I'm thinking of starting this game soon on PPSSPP because my PSP Slim is long dead and I'm curious what's possible

I'll be covering that when we open up crafting, but that's a ways away so if you're really curious

100% success rate
pot animation disabled
craft without materials

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Team Emptyquote strikes again.

I'll work on this sometime this weekend.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 3-3: finalization

Short update today, just covering off the last of the conversation we missed at the end of the last update.

SHAZAM!

Not actually the worst possible choice of name hey, Emptyquote's a good choice. Well done.

Straight into the loving trash, yes.

: Excellent. I have much for you to do. Your first task takes you to the town of Krysaro, to the southwest. The captain of my knights, sir Leonar, has gone there in pursuit of the former overseer of this castle, a necromancer named Nybeth.

: Truth be told, he's having a harder time of it than was expected. You'll be going to Krysaro to aid him. Understood?

: You can count on us your grace.

: I expect you have little in way of coin, so I'm giving you 30,000 Goth from the treasury.

: And... allow me to appoint a few of my own knights to serve under you. Leave as soon as you're ready.

: No, it is I who should thank you.

: So you're off to aid one of the Duke's men. I regret we cannot join you.

Translation: The Kid Gloves are off.

: Above all else, stay alive. Win or lose, while there's life, there's hope.

: I'll try to remember that.

: Best not forget. The dead get no second chances.

*glances at the end game in disagreement*

: If death were our aim, there are swifter ways to go about it than soldiery.

Not that many

: True enough. Still, do not needlessly seek out danger. Enough will find you as it is.

: Of course.

: And you are...?

: Ravness Loxaerion, a knight in service of the duke. I would ride to Leonar's aid myself, but his grace has other need of me. I fear the task falls to you.

: No need of fear, friend. We took back this castle, didn't we?

: In a manner of speaking, I suppose.

: And what "manner" would that be?

: If it were not for the sacrifice of others, we would be no heroes of Golyat now.

: Make no mistake, I have high hopes for you. We must unite the people behind us if we are to put an end to this endless war. Word of your heroics emboldens them.

: Then you hold us up as heroes to serve some stratagem, is that it?

: If you do not like it, give truth to the lie. Write your own fate on the battlefield.

I just loving love the look these guys give her there.

So yeah, we get five freebie soldiers here, one of each "basic" class except Knight, but we recieved those class marks in the previous battle.

A brief run down as follows, and when I say brief, I mean very brief.

(OFS, you are welcome to reprise your class rundowns now)

Warriors: Are Gender neutral, males and females both can be warriors though their stats differ slightly in the longer term. They're all about being able to take frontline abuse and being able to dish it right back out.

Male warriors have a slightly higher Vitality, Intellect and Agility score. While Female Warriors have the higher Dexterity, Avoid and Resilience, making them slightly better at tanking spellcasters and archer shots as they have a higher ability to dodge.

Archers: Are another Gender Neutral class, and they have one big trick, and that's taking shots from across the loving map that're able to completely gently caress enemy spellcasters. No really, for roughly 60% of the game, Archers are your primary damage dealers. Their biggest downsides are that certain types of enemies have extremely high damage resistance to Archers and they are not remotely equipped to handle taking damage.

The stat differences are miniscule, Males have higher Dexterity, females higher strength.

Wizard / Enchantress: First of the Gender differentiated classes. They're essentially different mostly in name only. They learn mostly the same skills from memory. Enchantresses have higher damage based stats, while Wizards have higher defensive based stats.

These classes are, as you'll probably be able to guess, focussed on Elemental Magic, which doesn't neccessarily encompass straight and raw damage dealing, but dependant on your school of magic, extensive amounts of crowd control that will be absolutely required later in the game when you're being swarmed and desperately trying to limit damage to your front line.

Clerics: Are again, Gender Neutral - they focus primarily on debuff cleansing, healing in the early game, and are the first major class able to learn Exorcism, which permanently kills undead. This is something we'll get to in the very immediate future.

It should be noted that this is a different class entirely than Catiua's priest, which is a Unique Class, that has a few extra perks over and above the generic cleric.

Rune Fencer / Valkyrie: The second Gender differentiated classes. These classes focusses on Spears as their weapons (which have a two square attack), and the ability to buff allies with magic.

In the Venn Diagram of Wizards, Warriors, and Knights, this class sits squarely in between the three of them.

Their magic skills are focussed on buffing allies, and debuffing enemies, their offensive magics are limited and learned much later than their Wizardly counterparts.

Knights: Their Primary job is to be a giant loving wall of meat, prevent enemies from getting past them with Rampart Aura, and act as a backup cleric. That's it. They focus on heavy armour, heavy vitality, and can learn a limited range of spells from the Divine school.

At this stage the game has "formally" opened up to us, allowing us to recruit soldiers.

I am happy at this stage to accept up to 5 new troops and get rid of these 5 freebies thrust upon us.

Give me a name, a class and a gender you'd like this character. Ideally I get one of each.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I am allowed gameplay spoilers re. equipment and spells, right? Talking about the Valkyrie with only its starting gear is... hard.

Yes, that's fine.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That'll do it. I'll get started in the next day or so. Next update will be a big one.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

marshmallow creep posted:

Do the freebies have any special qualities like the three you get at the start of Chapter 2 of Final Fantasy Tactics?

No. They are generic.

Characters in this game fall into three categories.

Generic (normal stats)
Semi unique (generics with higher stats and set names on joining but minimal to no storyline implication)
Unique (high stats, personality, storyline impact, possible unique classes)

quote:

Can you rename people once they are hired? I haven't played this game since it came out and have been playing a lot of Battle Brothers lately, where using the barber to completely reinvent a man is a thing.

I don't believe so, but I haven't checked specifically

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

In part 16 of what I suspect will be a neverending saga, my steam controller is out of charge, so I won't be working on the LP tonight as planned.

In summary though, for the five minutes I got to play, you can't rename existing characters, only generics you're buying for the first time, and people you're firing all have a guilt trip at you before you get rid of them

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 4 - The gloves are off

Farewell lovely generics who i've never used in a playthrough ever.

You can also try to get rid of Catiua and Vyce but they refuse to go.

Hiring a new character allows you to select their alignment, and rename them. This is the only way to rename characters as you cannot rename any characters currently in your roster that I'm aware of.

Say Hello to Lenneth the Valkyrie, HEALBOT the Cleric, Snipette the Archer and Martine the warrior Where'd Martine come from? I must have forgotten to rename someone and I can't be hosed fixing it now. MOVING ON.

We discussed skills in previous updates, and I explained that they mostly fell into Weapon Skills, Active Skills Passive Skills and Utility skills. There's a lot of them, and your access to both learn and use skills is gated by the class you use. Some classes can learn certain skills, but other classes may be able to use them even though they're not learnable directly by that class.

You can have up to 10 skill slots, with learning skill slots taking 30sp for the first one, and increasing in price by 30sp per skill slot you unlock. The final unlock therefore costs 300SP.

Most classes come with a "class defining" skill in the early game, and a late game one also.

For warriors that early game skill is "Mighty Impact" which gives you a 100% chance to crit / hit with a melee attack, for the cost of 40 Tactical Points (herein referred to as TP) - this is a resource you've probably seen as a golden bar in some of my screenshots. By default, you can have up to 200tp, with some skills increasing that by a flat numbered amount.

TP is used for active Skills, such as Mighty Impact, as well as finishing moves which will be demonstrated later in the update.

Finishing moves require some explanation also, they're functionally high damage limit breaks that can only be learned when you rank up a weapon skill.

Say, hypothetically, I start Levin in daggers and learn the associated skill. He starts at level 1. Learning and progressing in weapon skill is gated by doing damage, so the more damage you do the quicker you rank up. You unlock the first finishing move at rank 2, and I believe every second level after that up to a maximum of rank 10.

I mentioned prior that Counterattack was a skill. There are 4 ranks and it is a passive skill, unlike weapon skills which rank up with use, Counterattack is a passive skill whos use is gated by the classes level.

Counterattack 1 has a chance of countering either with a ranged or melee attack (depending on what you've got equipped) for 25% of your normal "auto attack" damage. I believe the last rank unlocks 100% of normal damage.

Each new recruit starts with 100SP and two skill slots open. Clerics are kind of dull in the early game as their early game unlocks require a lot of SP, but a cleric can't do poo poo without Divine Magic talent, so we take that for HEALBOT.

Tremendous Shot is essentially Mighty Impact, but for ranged attackers. We want that ASAP as we can basically use it to one or two shot squishies from across the map but lack the SP as we've had zero archers in any of our battles to date.

We therefore invest 50SP into Trajectory, which I'll demonstrate later. It's an extremely effective QOL skill for the archer.

(Canopus doesn't count, both as a guest and because he has a Semi-Unique class, the Vartan, which is like a cross between a Valkyrie and an Archer).

Martine, our warrior, I'm going to focus on 2 handed swords. Unfortunately I can't use those right now, and the best defensive option for her is an axe, so I get both Skills.

Not Screenshotted: I got my Valkyrie, I think Air Magic, and Nerraw Earth and Fire Magic skills.

Before we can get to the Port, we need to pass through Tynemouth Hill. The fact it's coloured red indicates that there's a battle waiting for us there.

For this battle we can have up to six active characters, and we have two guests, being Vyce and Catiua over in their own little chessboards.

: I am Canopus. Step forward and meet your fate, dogs!

3 Warriors, 2 Archers, 1 Wizard

Canopus isn't loving around and moves up, dunking on Caesaria for 37 damage.

Snipette moves up as far as her move will allow. You can see her range of attack in yellow, but unadvertised is that you Can shoot outside that range with Bows (but not Crossbows), depending on your height and the enemies, you may even land the hit.

That's what Trajectory is real useful for. It'll tell you if your target is a viable hit or not.

Vyce's turn is up and he uses it to poo poo on the birdman. I thought it was meant to be the other way around?

: Stubborn as ever, eh? How did one so young grow so thick of skull?

: Thick? I'll give you thick!

In case it's not super clear here, but Vyce just chucked a stone at Canopus's face.

: Ow! Not the Wings!

: Vyce! Control yourself!

Not having any valid targets that aren't on his own team, Vyce moves up and does nothing in a sullen silence.

This won't be demonstrated in this fight, but we now have access to Chariot, which allows us to try out things without commiting to them. Simply take your action, observe the result, and if it's to your satisfaction leave it. If not, press L and move back however many actions you want to, up to 50.

The original turn of events will be stored, and the new actions will branch off from there.

Caesaria walks up and cracks Canopus in the face for 42 damage which isn't insignificant.

I gently caress up here, misrecognising Martine's sprite for Lenneths and use her air scroll which does an ok amount of damage considering it came from a warrior, but now leaves Lenneth without skills to cast in the fight. Whoops.

HEALBOT moves up and drops a heal on Canopus from a scroll, learning it simultaneously. She can now cast it from the Divine school skill she learned earlier.

Nerraw moves up and drops a Vulcan Lance on Caesaria dropping her to 6 hp.

Snipette's up again and takes a shot at Caesaria, and loving whiffs it.

Enemy Archer moves up and aims for Lenneth, hitting her for 28 damage.

: What's the matter? Lost your nerve?

: Or has the nagging of your pacifist sister unmanned you?

: Always hiding behind her skirts.

: Thick of skull and a bully besides.

: That's enough squawking out of you, bird-man!

Vyce lobs another loving rock at Canopus which hits, again.

Position matters for chance to hit kids.

Levi takes his Vyce induced frustration out on Zerig, the Warrior. Critting him for 45 damage.

Dauid, the other enemy warrior walks up and punches Vyce, doing what I'm pretty sure is high on Canopus's list at the minute.

Zerig's up and he hits Canopus for 25. Canopus crits on the counter.

Canopus finishes off Caesaria

Martine smashes Zerig down to 35 hp.

HEALBOT drops a heal on Lenneth who's taken damage somewhere along the way.

The second enemy archer gets a turn and shoots Canopus for a small amount of damage. Canopus returns fire.

Just to give a rough idea of how we're doing.

Lenneth gets a turn, and you can see here that spears have a two tile range, hitting both. They're sort of weak in my experience, but then I rarely use this class in general.

Snipette continues to disappoint. Each attack has a small variable range (usually a few points) of doing slightly more or less damage than advertised. I was hoping this'd finish off Zerig, but no joy.

Nerraw doesn't have a ranged weapon so defaults to throwing stones, which on a mage does gently caress all damage.

so he defaults to a Vulcan Lance. It's overkill, but I don't have much else in the way of options to kill him before his turn is up.

Ladislas the Archer takes a shot at Nerraw and Dauid moves up to take advantage, the pair of them knock Nerraw down to 10hp, marking the first time one of our units has hit critical HP. Remember what Catiua said? Your squishies really cannot take hits. They're not built for them, and your enemy will prioritise attacking them at all times, as you should.

Levi strikes Ladislas in revenge for almost killing Nerraw.

Yeah, I covered this earlier.

Canopus also strikes Ladislas, knocking him down to 10 hp also.

Martine moves up as far as she can reaching Dauid, however she can only attack him front on, meaning she's got a 61% chance to hit.

This aint xcom though.

Healbot and Catiua both drop a heal on Nerraw.

Snipette drops a bomb on Ladislas and kills him.

Nerraw breaks out the fire, and learns fireball to go with Vulcan Lance.

Canopus takes a shot in the face.

Lenneth finishes off Dauid

Canopus unleashes his finishing move on the Archer. Finishing moves are neat. They take exactly 100tp to cast, but use all of your TP AND their damage scales with the amount of TP used.

They also have a chance to apply a debuff on your enemy, that's dependant on the move used. With Dark Weight, it has a chance to apply leaden to anything that survives it, meaning that they can't increase their height by jumping to higher platforms

Snipette's too far away to hit Orba, who's now all by himself. Undettered he makes the right choice and attacks Vyce with a Fireball. (it's called Sparksphere, but who gives a gently caress)

Vyce, Levi and Canopus finish off Orba, with Levi showing off Mighty Impact. From memory, crits do about an additional 50% of regular damage.

Canopus now officially wants to join our crew, purely out of spite.

Canopus is as close as a middle finger as the game gives you to use on your enemies.

Height means nothing to him. He has good stats to make good use of his bow. You do want to cross him to archer eventually in order to make good use of the great bows, but in the early game Vartan is good enough with 1 handed bows that you dont need to worry too much.

Random Battles are a thing but are completely optional. You are not bound to fight them and the game doesn't judge you for running away from them.

but I do

We also unlock the "Warren Report"

What this is is a number of things. At its overview it gives you an idea of your basic battle stats, and it also gives you options to access the story timeline to date, a list of events that you've seen (and some that happen without Levis knowledge which serves to give more story background)

"Tidings" is sort of like, a review of the events that have occurred to the party to date. Cutscenes are stored here, and they can also be accessed via the timeline.

It is also used to unlock sidequests in the game, so the game really does expect you to read this poo poo, which isn't such a bad thing.

"Talk" is what the general public are discussing, news from the realm. Sidequests and news can be found here also, including stuff Levi doesn't personally witness. There can be story critical stuff in here.

There's also a "People" section with entries for major and minor characters. I am not going to touch this because it updates all the loving time

The last thing is "Titles" which is sort of like an ingame achievement system. You earn titles based on story choices and accomplishments. There's also a few exclusive titles for not having any of your characters be knocked out, or for not using the chariot system and the like.

I'm sure you can imagine why those are difficult as gently caress to obtain.

Next time: We turn Levi into a knight I think.

tithin fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 28, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tallgeese posted:

Couldn't you just quickly boot up Cheat Engine, search a character's name, and just name them whatever?

If I recall LUCT correctly names are just a text string.

Theoretically, but I've never been big into Cheat Engine

Gridlocked posted:

Name what ever tanky character you get Kilmotos.

Friends for lyfe

For you, a Terror Knight will do.

Jabor posted:

Might be a bit late but I want to throw another character into the ring, a Warrior (since there didn't seem to be many of those suggested) named Martine.

Two-handed weapons preferred.

:911:

theshim posted:

Canopus with a 2h crossbow will carry you through pretty much the entire game. It's a tiny bit silly how good archers are in this game, and Canopus has great stats and flight to go with it.

I typically tend to use Canopus with Bows until my archers start learning their own finishing moves, then switch him over.

The first Crossbow finishing move is loving ludicrous.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Are we allowed to put in requests for later-game classes?

Sorry, but no.

I'll put the call out for new characters as and when I need to diversify.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've run the next mission and its 200 odd screenshots

reaching out to baldurk on twitter to ask him if there's a way to specify upload directory to save me clicking 400 times to move it to a TO006 directory, stay tuned.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 005 - Blocked

Levi is changed to a Knight, a nice little shower curtain comes down, drumroll, Levi gets changed, shower curtain rises and he looks exactly the same :v:

This isn't the case for generics.

Forgot Knights couldn't use Mighty Impact, whoops.

We've got the SP for Tremendous Shot now, but don't meet the level requirement for it.

A look at Canopus's skills.

We move on to Krysaro to save Leonar and his men.

The actor known as "Donnalto" will be played by "ClericM" as I apparently lack his portrait :v:

: Sleep, souls. Embrace the waiting everworld!

*farts*

: Impossible! My exorcism has failed!?

: Perhaps the corpses must be stilled before the sould can be put to rest....

: I've forgotten much in the fifteen years since I last faced the undead. Ah, but listen to me, making excuses.

: Patience, Leonar. We need only wait for reinforcements.

: There, our liberators! Great Father smile upon us this day.

: And no common sleep; they descend the sepulchral stairs toward death.

: When they wake, it will be as unliving horrors!

: We only need hold until Master Nybeth's return. Give them not an inch, and show them no quarter!

We're dealing with a few new gameplay features this battle.

The first of which is undead. As Donalto so nicely pointed out, the Undead, when killed, stay down for 3 turns before resurrecting at full health.

They can only be permanently killed / "stilled" via the Exorcism spell.

well, not the only way, but it's the only you'll use for 95% of the game.

Starting as we mean to go on, Donalto aims for the closest spectre, who blocks it.

Wider map than we've experienced in the past.

Rough enemy head count: 2 Skeleton Warrior, 2 Spectre Mages, 2 Human Archers, 1 Human Warrior, 1 Human Necromancer

Canopus opens strong with a nice crit on Walter, The Skeleton.

Snipette steps up and can't reach so skips her turn.

Enemy team moves up

Admiranda the Skeleton takes a 40% shot at Donnalto and lands it, dropping Donnalto to ~50% health

Nerraw drops a Vulcan Lance on Walter, The Skeleton, knocking him into critical health.

Snipette again, aiming to finish off Walter, but fails to connect.

err wait, what's with that chance to hit??

Oh, that's our second new gameplay mechanic: weather. You'll notice in the screenshots that it's raining, and in screenshots you'll notice flashes of lightning. That basically sends everyones accuracy (including enemies) into the shitter.

Mage spells are unaffected by accuracy and so would be your preferred damage dealer for lovely weather maps.

Tywick the spectre hits Nerraw for 27 Lightning Bow damage.

Celes the spectre hits Donnalto for 24 damage via Aquablast - the tier 1 water missile spell.

Catiua heals Nerraw.

Donnalto heals himself and moves back towards our party.

Lightning Crash while enemy human warrior moves up.

Walter lands a solid blow on Martine.

Canopus lands a solid blow on Tywick in response. The good thing about the undead is that they follow the same armour rules as their base class, so they dont take reduced damage purely through virtue of being undead.

Difficult to make out in this screenshot, but Admiranda the Skeleton has dropped in among our party from the roof, taken another ~40% shot at Donnalto and landed it.

HEALBOT's first real action of the game, dropping a heal on Donnalto.

Snipette takes another shot and whiffs it. I don't think she lands a shot the whole battle now that I think about it.

Nerraw takes another lightning bow.

Lenneth takes a 40% shot and *FINALLY* knocks out Walter, the skeleton.

We now get 3 turns to put him down for good.

Nerraw lands a Vulcan lance on Admiranda, while Vyce takes a 54% shot and misses.

Celes launches an Aquablast at Vyce which lands and makes him adverse.

Catiua repeats her last action.

Lenneth takes another solid shot and hits Admiranda in the back and then finds another random Mend Leaf. All maps have random items on the map somewhere and they are absolutely not worth bothering about.

Canopus drops Admiranda to critical.

Levi finishes off Admiranda!

Our first human opponents begin to arrive as the undead fall. Arya the warrior shrugs off Snipettes arrows.

HEALBOT exorcises Walter. RIP Mr Skeltal.

The last new gameplay element introduced today is the Tarot Card.

When you kill an enemy, they will drop loot.

A lot of the time, this loot will be whatever random poo poo they've got on them. Sometimes they will drop a Tarot card. Tarot cards will bestow two things, the first is a stat up - which stat you get is dependant on the card you pick. Some cards have a "luck factor" and may instead give you a stat downgrade to something like, unit loyalty, as opposed to a positive.

The second thing it gives you is an "on use" effect, which is fairly powerful. I will not be using these cards in their on use form until the end game.

Tywick drops a Lightning Bow on Vyce which makes him thunder adverse, and Celes also helps out with an Aquablast.

Lenneth takes a shot and fucks it up.

Nerraw is out of range to use a missile spell, and Lenneth is directly in his path at any rate, so I decide to use the Fire Storm Grimoire. This is a little earlier than I had hoped to use it as he's not of a level to use it via the skill yet.

Each spell school, like a missle spell, has an indirect spell that ignores line of sight. It has a shorter range than the missile spell, but makes up for it by ignoring LOS and height requirements.

The sun was an Agility stat up, so utterly useless on a Wizard.

Donnalto triages Vyce.

Chance to hit seems to be worsening as the map goes on as even Canopus starts having problems landing shots.

Vyce moves out of range of our healers to strike Arya in her head.

Vyce is not a smart boy.

Catiua heals Donnalto.

Arya takes a shot at Lenneth but RNG works in our favour for once

Randall the human warrior makes landfall and introduces warhammer to Lenneths head for 43 damage

Levi takes a swing at Arya but misses.

Martine moves up to cover Vyce but is all by herself, so tops herself off with a Mend Leaf.

The first of the enemy archers, Esseldine takes a shot at Vyce and misses.

Snipette has few valid targets so takes a pot shot at Arya, who again, blocks it.

The second enemy archer lands a hit on Narrew for ~32 damage.

Admiranda is exorcised - RIP.

I'll give you one thing, Arya is resilient.

Ah poo poo, Moldova's arrived.

Word of pain's the tier 1 shadow missile spell. Boss spellcasters tend to hit like trucks if they get the chance to unleash their spells as we're about to find out.

Nerraw and Lenneth double team Arya to DEATH

not being the brightest crayon in the box, Vyce continues his commando routine into the mages all by himself. Guest units really are something in this game.

Martine tries to pull a vyce by striking down from the rooftop onto Randall but her height's too high so she heals Vyce instead.

Levi lands a hit on Randall, and Randall continues pummeling Lenneth.

Martine blocks a crossbow attack, and Snipette lands a bow attack :toot:

Exhibit A in bullshit :arghfist:

Blue is where I can move with healbot.
Yellow is where I can heal.

Tywick and Celes murder Vyce in cold blood, and thus the war ended.

"Sorry Levi, Plot armour, I'm out. Peace."

and now the stupid prick's left Martine there by herself :arghfist:

Canopus takes a shot at Randall who blocks it.

HEALBOT takes an arrow to the face

Randall gets Vulcan Lanced

Martine straight up loses half of her loving health

Lenneth gets a rare stacked enemy attack and aims for Randall and the archer, but only one of them connects with the archer taking 16 damage.

Martine smashes the spirit into loving dust with her bare hands.

Levi fails to hit Randall. Randall fails to hit Lenneth. Donnalto heals HEALBOT.

Lenneth takes a painful arrow.

Snipette again doesn't connect so Canopus shows her how to.

Honestly, I'm sorry if this isn't rivetting, i've been awake for 22 hours straight and there's only so many ways to write "they blocked it again jesus christ"

Martine gets dropped to 33 health from Tywick.

Perfectly timed screenshot

highest accuracy shot on the map so far, which fails to connect.

Nerraw finishes off Randall, finally.

Moldova hits Lennether with a nasty word of pain spell, and Catiua and Lenneth herself work to undo it.

Levi lands a minor blow on the archer.

Martine finishes off Tywick

Donnalto tops off Lenneth

Oh nice, Canopus got a crit :toot:

poo poo girl your accuracy is actively decreasing.

Lenneth blocks the bolt.

Nerraw can't reach the low health archer, and is out of line of sight, so lands the safe shot on Zell, the other archer, instead. Nerraw just happens to be the squishiest target in range so Zell returns fire at him.

Martine is knocked unconcious by Moldova.

Block: The Musical. Sponsored by Lego.

This is about where I ran out of patience and energy.

Yeah, you can hit scenery. including wine casks, which I didn't into consideration, and stopped caring about

Nerraw takes another hit, Catiua immediately heals it up.

You're not supposed to get this message by the way, the map usually finishes welllllllll before now.

Despite aiming for Levi, it hits Canopus because he's in front of Levi.

Friendly fire, I know, but I don't care, I want that archer dead.

gently caress

Esdeline hits Snipette. Snipette misses Esdeline.

you think Esdeline would take a job if i offered her it?

Nerraw chipping away at Esdeline

The undead begin to re-raise.

Sweet relief

: And my apologies to you, Abuna. Such is our reward for striking blind. Already I have lost too many of the duke's men. I know not how I shall face him.

: I am thankful that you, at least, still live. The Great Father favors us.

: As he is surely displeased by the trespasses of this Nybeth: A sorcerer of the foulest sort.

: Yes, Nybeth! He lies hidden in a rotting fastness beyond the town.

: Odd, with his men left at Almorica, I'd have thought him bound for Coritanae. What could he be scheming?

: I want his head, whatever it may be plotting. I will not return to the duke empty-handed.

: You mean to take the fastness with these numbers? Should we not withdraw and regroup?

: Were it only myself and the remnants of my men, I would find retreat more palatable. But do not forget our new allies.

: I have not. Yet be mindful of the Galgastani threat. Why, they might attack Almorica at any moment.

: As I see it, we would not have the luxury of choice were it not for the heroes of Golyat.

: Yes, yes, of course. Advance or retreat, the decision is rightfully Levi's.

: Voltare, Sara. I know you'll not object.

: Then it's settled. We are yours to command.

Donnalto is classed as a "unique" unit - there's nothing special about him, he's got a few lines during battle maps depending on people present but precious little impact.

Voltare and Sara are semi-unique units. They are functionally generics with a generic sprite (albeit slightly recoloured) and higher stats.

Voltare is a stock standard knight, beefy and can take a hit.

Sara is a surprisingly good archer up until we get someone else way down the track who trumps her in every way.

tithin fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 31, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

As a minor addendum, Weather can be dealt with via higher levels of Field Alchemy - a skill that gates item use.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Also, if you guys could spam the poo poo out of this page to get me onto the next one because I don't want to destroy peoples browsers, I'd be appreciative, thanks.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I am here bearing two things today

The first is advice to save your games (I had to refight that last battle and it uh, went really loving easy this time), I also had a random battle, so now everyone's level 4 and I've unlocked a bunch of stuff for people which I'll cover in the next update.

The second is a choice, presented without context

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 006 - Necromancer

Soooooooooooo I hosed up.

After fighting that last battle, I basically stumbled off the computer and went to bed, forgetting to save.

When I went to check back in with the game and progress to the next map, whoops, I had to re-do it.

So instead, I cycled back and forth on the map, fought a random battle, and then stormed the last story battle with zero casualties (not even Vyce!) and had almost no missed shots. It was bizarre. RNG folks.

Without going too much into it (we'll cover off character updates in the next update) everyone hit level 4, and grew to a level where they could both fit their gear and step comfortably into their class niche.

"These ruins of an ancient keep mark the scene of the great battle between King Dorgalua and King Rodrick, who once vied for control of the islands."

For this next map, HEALBOT will be sidelined for Donnalto. This will occur on maps where there is a story reason to do so.

: She harbored a rare appreciation for my research. Sad to see her pass, though I envy her newfound vicinity to death!

: Yet it is not time to join her company. Perhaps we might come to an...understanding? I care not who rules this island. Take it, it's yours.

: My siege of Almorica was a purely business venture, you see. A deal struck with the heirophant to satisfy my...curiosities.

: And what of it? Your precious castle is returned. What's done is done! I propose you let me go free.

: The alternative, of course, would be for us to do battle. But no...the time it would take to destroy you is that much less time for my research! Hardly efficient. If there's anything I detest in this world, it is inefficiency!

: Lay down your arms, and you will come to no harm. But you cannot go free.

: If you would do penance for your crimes, come to Almorica. I promise your life will be spared.... Though, you will be our prisoner and treated no better than you deserve.

: Yet, I must decline. You may mean well, but there is no shortage of others who would see me hang.

: Even as I ask why we must fight, I accept the inevitability of the coming battle. Freedom's wage must be paid in full.

:siren: :siren: Music Link - Blasphemous Experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5XWgWWeg7w

:siren: :siren:

Enemy Composition:

Lv. 4 Archer
Lv. 4 Archer
Lv. 4 Enchantress
Lv. 5 Necromancer
Lv. 4 Valkyrie
Lv. 5 Warrior
Lv. 4 Warrior
Lv. 4 Wizard

*Excludes any creatures to be summoned by Nybeth if you grind down his initial army

The last map was troubling, this map is extremely dangerous.

We're outnumbered, outlevelled, outstatt'd AND the enemy has the high ground.

This battle is to my understanding, optional.

You're not obligated to do it, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

Nybeth marks our first real Necromancer fight. Moldova hits hard, she has a few undead minions, but she doesn't summon undead and master them as Nybeth does and can. She was functionally a hard hitting Dark Mage.

This is Nybeth, take too long and he will summon wave after wave of minions and drown you in corpses.

Our opening moves are unremarkable. Donnalto and Nerraw both use :2bong: to increase their mana.

Our frontline move forward to present a unified front against the enemy and Lenneth throws an "Instill Air" spell on Canopus.

The instill spells are conceptually neat but lacking in execution. Each spell school - including divine - has an instill spell, and what it does is add a flat 20% to straight weapon damage. If you have a weapon that does 100 damage, it will then do an extra 20 damage after you hit.

Works great on archers against squishy targets to finish off those who juuuuuuuuust survive.

And it's lightly raining too! so accuracy's poo poo for everyone, but not quite as bad as thunderstorms.

The good thing about "lightly" raining, is that within a certain number of turns (I think it's 7 cycles?) the weather takes a turn, either for the better or worse. Better meaning things go back to normal, worse being that we move to a lightning storm and well, you've seen the effects of those.

Topside enemy archer takes a shot at Snipette which misses.

Enemy Valkyrie, Paige, hits our front lines and goes for the double skewer on Martine and Nerraw, neither of whom's having any of that poo poo, with both blocking the attack.

Nerraw moves to the side and slams a Vulcan Lance into her face.

He then meditates to recover a bit of mana.

This is a skill that converts ~15tp in ~7 mana, with the mana recovered increasing by rank. It takes hundreds of uses, bordering on thousands increase it in rank, so just assume I'm using it as and when it's needed to get him over the edge.

Plan "Winged Death" is under way as Canopus begins his ascent up the Northern Castle Wall to get to Nybeth.

The plan, so to speak is to use Canopus as an assassin, dropping death on enemys from the high ground until he can get a finishing move off and end the map, hopefully before Nybeth begins summoning reinforcements.

Martine gets behind Paige and introduces her to her new 2handed weapon, dropping her to critical. Martine blocks on Paiges counter.

Enemy Warrior, Wystan, attacks Vyce, but it's blocked.

Paige falls to Voltare's hammer.

Levi takes a crack at Wystan, but, blocked!

I swear, the RNG on playing this game is ridiculous, I've never seen this level of blocks in any of my playthroughs.

Enemy Warrior Skelly takes umbrage at Martine using a two handed sword and asks in his own roundabout way why she isn't using a 2 handed axe instead??

Southernmost Skelly Archer (hereafter referred to as 'Clinkz') takes a shot at Nerraw, who blocks it again like a loving champion.

Donnalto purges Paige from existence, like a loving champion.

Enemy mage, Norman, casts Misery. Misery is a fire school spell, that triggers in a cross shaped AOE and applies "Weaken" to people within the AOE.

I don't know what weaken does, in my experience absolutely gently caress all. Might weaken physical attacks a little but absolutely nothing to care about.

This particular cast targetted Levi, and Martine, and hits Martine and Wystan, so 50/50 for us.

Lenneth drops an Install Air on Martine to give her a bit of extra oomph. She also gets a heal from Catiua.

Vyce and Wystan beat each other up a bit more (as an aside, I think that first screenshot there's pretty baller looking)

Snipette's up and she lands a hit! A good one too!

I upgraded her weapon to a Great Bow off-screen.

FURIO the Skelly tries to show Snipette how this archery thing is done but fucks it up as Snipette simply sidesteps and gives him the finger.

Nerraw continues his rampage of smashing fools into the dirt.

Canopus up! not quite in range to hit Nybeth, and that chance to hit's loving garbage so he takes a swing at Norman instead and loving demolishes him to critical HP.

Voltare cracks Emerick in his skull.

Wystan and Vyce both block each others poo poo which is disappointing as I now have to waste a turn removing Wystans last single hit point.

God damnit Levi :arghfist:

Make that two turns

Clinkz moves over the ledge to get a better shot at Donnalto and takes a shot at him.

Who blocks likes a loving champion.

Martine hulks the gently caress out and smashes the poo poo out of Emerick, the Skelly Warrior with the help of Mighty Impact.

Emerick hulks the gently caress out and smashes the poo poo out of Martine WITHOUT Mighty impact.

Catiua heals Martine up a bit.

Enemy archer tries to undo it. Fucks up. Sad!

Lenneth gets lovely with Wystans continued undeath and spears him through Vyce, who counters because LENNETH STOLE HIS KILL :saddowns:

Rosa the mage takes a crack at Voltare with a Vulcan lance, and Norman follows up with a Sparksphere. They didn't get him below half HP, so Catiua heals him up.

Snipette crits Clinkz here - I think it was a Tremendous shot, but don't remember. (it WAS a tremendous shot though).

Furio's mad.

Nerraw getting all apocalyptic up in here as he continues his reign of taking down fools.

Canopus is the king of the world, and Nybeth aint poo poo.

(I didn't Chariot for that shot by the way, I'm trying to avoid using it as much as possible because it makes battle commentary annoying as gently caress :v: )

Levi cleanses Wystan. Important to note that Paladins dont learn Exorcism even though they can access the Divine tree, it's not one of their allowed spells, so that just cost us a couple of hundred goth :toot:

Voltare continues his reign of skelly terror by caving in Emerick skull and knocking him to critical hp. Vyce sweeps in to continue the weaken, and Martine finishes him off.

: In the name of the great Father Philaha, I condemn you to hell!

: Oh dear, not one of those.

: I find men who go about claiming to speak for the gods insufferable.

: Avaunt, Mage, for the Holy light that gives me strength is a miracle in truth - as the necromantic heresy you practice is the work of demons!

: What you call magic is merely another aspect of physical law, and those who call themselves "deities" or "demons" merely flesh.

: While one man's spirit may be lofty, and another's heart devilish, bowing to one of them does not make you pious....

: It makes you weak!

: To honor the gods and despise demons is to dilute the weight of your words and the import of your actions.

: Enough of this cretin's blasphemy! I was wrong to pay him any heed at all.

The Weather turns and we should start to see improved accuracy as a result!

And now Nybeth enters the fray with a Word of Pain at Voltare which does marginally less damage than either Rosa or Norman did. He still think he's got a decent chunk of minions so right now is focussing on damage over sustain.

Snipette continues to play DDR using the enemy arrows that litter the ground around her.

Rosa and Norman finish off Vyce.

If you're wondering why I'm letting Vyce die, it's because I literally don't care about him.

Snipette takes a shot and crits, thanks to the power of Tremendous Shot (tm)

Canopus again. Not quite enough TP to finish off Nybeth yet, so he goes for the downtown dunk on Norman.

Skelly smashes in Snipettes face.

Levi continues his exorcism climb.

Donnalto continues to indulge his drug habit.

Nybeth makes the call that things are still salvagable and hits Voltare down to ~15 health.

Off camera, Voltare healed himself with the heal spell to raise his health back up a bit.

Martine finishes off a Skelly

Rosa hits her with a Lance in reply.

4 loving TP from a finishing move, Canopus takes another sub 40% shot at Nybeth and lands it.

LIKE A loving CHAMPION.

Last enemy skelly hits Nerraw with an arrow.

Snipette mighty shots him

Starting to look dicey. Martin's on 16 HP and I know that Rosa's turn is up soon. Rosa will either go for Martine, or Voltare.

Lenneth Deadshots Furio and knocks him into critical.

I make a judgement call and move Voltare back into the fray and heal up Martine.

Catiua also moves up.

We made the right call, those two heals saved Martines life.

And Canopus ends Nybeth's life

: But I am afraid your victory cannot be complete, for there is still vital research to be done, and none to do it but me!

: Levi, was it? A name I shall make a point to remember.

: When the war is lost and won, I feel we will meet again.

: When we do, I will be only too happy to reveal the ripened fruits of my research. Until then.

At which point he turns into a loving bat and flies away. Halloween isn't for another six months rear end in a top hat!

tithin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 3, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RareAcumen posted:

I would've voted for default names if I'd gotten in the thread quick enough but that didn't really happen and we're going with Levi now.

Thanks! fixed

e: I honestly have no excuse except to say I started writing that update at 8 and finished at half 11

tithin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 3, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jokes aside, what the gently caress happened to my post battle save, I know I saved this time

Oh god he summoned darkness three times

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 7: A Breather

Funny story, given my witty commentary about saving, turns out I didn't save my last game either and had to re-fight Nybeth.

That fight doesn't go nearly so easy when he summons three batches of undeath, with three mages around him shovelling Mend Leafs into him.

Oh, he goes down eventually, but I ran out of exorcisms, MP items and almost wiped.

But here I am now with redundant saves!

So, a short update, as I promised to go over how our dudes are doing:

Levi is gaining SP slowly, we're levelling him as a tank at present, with Rampart Aura to make getting around him more difficult.

Future skill investment will involve investing in Knockback, Counterstrike and the skill whos name I forget that makes you more resistant to Melee attacks.

Rampart Aura 1 is a simple cross shaped set of 4 tiles in each cardinal direction around the character, preventing enemies from moving past that square without stopping movement first.

I don't really give a poo poo about Vyce. I gave him Mighty Impact and Fists, and then auto-equipped him for offense and it changed him from fist equip to 2 handed sword equips.

Catiua invests in Field Alchemy 1 (giving her access to slightly higher inventory) and Sidestep 1, which makes her dodge arrows and the like a little better.

Lenneth's investing in Truestrike to up her to hit rate, as well as Air Magic to bolster her utility. She'll likely be built towards disabling magics in the future, but for now she serves as an instill bot & skewer to pierce enemy lines.

Martine hits hard, all her points are in Mighty Impact, 2h Swords & Strengthen (which boosts Melee strength)

Future point investment will be expanding her skill number, points into Truestrike to increase accuracy so she's not so reliant on Mighty Impact, and points into Anatomy to increase damage to human units. She'll also diversify into other species skills which I'll cover when beasts come into play.

Canopus hasn't changed much, he's unlocked half of his skill slots, so future points for him will go into Strengthen, Knockback and Anatomy in the future.

That'll do for now, pretend Voltare, Sara and Donnalto don't exist, because I'll only be using them when absolutely necessary.

For now, we'll be rolling back to town.

: I hope you continue to do so. You are to accompany Leonar to Phidoch Castle - a Bakram holding.

: Phidoch Castle - where the Dark Knights are garrisoned. Why there?

: I want you to forge a treaty of non-interference before the real fighting with Galgastan begins.

: Not with the Bakram, mind you, but with the Dark Knights of Lodis. We cannot have them hounding our flank while we are occupied with Galgastan.

: But...your grace. It was the Bakram who brought on this war.

: Our parents died on Loslorien swords. Had they not aided the Bakram, how much suffering might we have been spared?

: None know this better than I, Catiua.

: But consider what would happen were we to face such a foe in open battle. They would crush us.

: The Bakram people, overfed swine that they are, are no threat. Ah, but the Dark Knights - there is a foe to be feared.

: Which is why we must swear allegiance to Lodis and ensure they are no foe of ours.

: So your grace means to bend knee to Lodis?

: Tread carefully, Vyce. I have told you we are of one mind on this.

: With the Dark Knights at bay, those opportunist in the Galgastani camp clamoring for war will fall silent.

: There's our chance. Once Balbatos is dead and buried, only then do we turn to strike the Bakram. What does our Holy Knight make of this?

: The Xenobian throne has no designs on Valeria. Nor Lodis, they.

: Ah, but I forget this has no bearing on you, Sir Lanselot. Forgive me.

Lanselot's clearly not impressed either with the turn of events, or his new lord

: Well, the sooner you and Leonar have left for Phidoch, the better.

A strongly built Knight for this stage of the game. Swords do better damage to humans (which is how I traditionally build Levi, as hammers do better damage to beasts), he's Rank 2 already so has its finishing move, Rampart Aura, Counter Attack and Strengthen.

A good fit for our army.

tithin fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

theshim posted:

Oh my god I'm so loving angry right now

Why?

Glazius posted:

Man, that's a challenge. Good to see you ran through it.

Does the enemy take a lot of bowshots outside their range?

I'm not sure. I'm relatively sure they don't though.