Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

This is spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I... you people don't like Ping Pong???

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Davincie posted:

are you ready to game my fellow gamers? with the official anime about gaming, called gamers. a gamer hell yeah from me, to you, my fellow gamers

I hope this anime gives many insights to the small niche community known as 'Gamer'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It looks a lot like someone trying to do Fate Stay/Night again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't like pretentious as a word, it's pretty meaningless and seems to just be an annoying way to say 'I don't like what this show is attempting'.

On the other hand ReCreators looks bad.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Shinji.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

UBW was definitely a weaker show than Fate/Zero.

Shirou's character is potentially deep and nuanced but the adaptation (if not the original game as well) portrays that really poorly. The adaptation should have been much less faithful.

(Like, when I played the game, I thought I actually knew what was going on in that climactic Archer/Shirou scene, but now I don't even know any more. Wasn't the original confrontation about whether or not self-sacrifice for an ideal makes sense?)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 21, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

it was more about whether something flawed and impossible is still worth trying to achieve.

See, that was never really my impression. After playing the game the argument in that route is essentially about, well, reasons to do stuff. Archer's point is that Shirou's route was a mistake from the beginning - that his only real goal was to be happy. His saving people was inspired by Kiritsugu being happy when he saved him and passing on this legacy to him, and thus he formed the idea that he could resolve the feeling of guilt he felt by saving other people and ensuring everyone around him is happy. But this results in him being surrounded only by infinite and eternal misery, and misery for himself, and thus Shirou should just die instead of ending up like torturing himself meaninglessly like that.

Shirou counters that his ideal is not a mistake, that even if the conclusion is potentially tragic for himself, his goal is the ideal itself and not as a means to an end of personal happiness, and that Archer had forgotten that he went down that route because he personally believed in it and know and believe what he did is right and proper. Like, it's thematically important that Shirou's skill is *copying* stuff. Shirou's resolution in UBW is that fact that you copied - in this case, Kiritsugu's ideal - does not undermine the value of it, if you make the copy your own. This is also why he changes the lines of the Reality Marble mantra subsequently.

The problem in the anime is that they broke this by adapting F/Z *first*, when F/Z's conclusion is Kiritsugu discovering his ideal is utter bullshit.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 21, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What also broke the final parts of the Ufotable UBW is all the intercutting between scenes. We just kept flipping from cool important fight scene to "Rin in sexual peril!!!" and stuff like that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just skip the franchise, it's not really worth your time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Erg posted:

Alternatively, Fate is really cool

There are cooler things that waste less of your time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

dogsicle posted:

maybe the person asking about Fate's barrier to entry has an interest in experiencing it, and would appreciate advice along those lines.

Sure, you can interpret

Aurora posted:

How difficult is Fate to get into

as "what is the easiest way to get into Fate, for I who would like to get into Fate no matter what".

I choose to interpret it as "is the difficulty of getting into Fate high or low relative to the value I will probably get out of it", and I think the answer is pretty high, and the value isn't that big.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sorry, I want to encourage people to like what I enjoy, and discourage people from investing lots of time in what I didn't.

EDIT: VVV Alright. I was just replying to someone who replied to me. Do I really need four of you to tell me I shouldn't be dragging this out?

EDIT2:

Endorph posted:

did you ever consider that maybe the guy would like the thing you didn't like

I guess I'd better not reply to this question.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 22, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Aurora posted:

I'm a girl :(

There's a lot of misogynist nonsense in the first third of the VN if that is a dealbreaker to you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I feel justified in saying that's it's not worthwhile wading through 20-30 loving hours of the Fate route to get to the bit that is maybe good. At least enough for this to count as a dissenting opinion. There's a point at which 'oh give it a try' doesn't cut it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

oh no

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/848598091049652230

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Don't tell me the pink wearing female protagonist is called Blue.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Internet buzz is that Re:Creators is about a bunch of characters in lovely light novels who escape to the real world, realise they're characters in lovely light novels, and set out to murder their authors.

Hell, I'm in.

Watch as they ruin this premise by making the authors the heroes of the story

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Genuine question here, what is supposed to be good about Berserk? Am I right in thinking it's basically The Witcher: the manga?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So it's more about the page to page execution that makes people like it, and not so much the broad narrative arc or the premise/setting?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

There's definitely a strong broad narrative arc, but considering the series isn't finished yet and has been on and off hiatus for the past decade, it's hard to comment on it since we don't fully know where it's going. As for the setting, it's kind of fairly standard dark fantasy - though part of that is how influential Berserk was and is on pretty much every fantasy thing to come out of Japan for the past 30 years.

I think my conclusion from that is that this seems like good reason to think there's unlikely to be a good Berserk adaptation. There's nothing new and pressing to sell so budgeting will be constrained, there's not really a strong hook for people who haven't already bought into the story, and the elements that people like about it are specifically the elements like art style and writing that are not so easily ported over to a show, but are down to the individual talents of the production crew.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

i can only really think of three major scenes of sexual assault

Okaaay.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm sorry to keep this line of argument going but I rather resent the argument that making things dark necessitates having 'major scenes of sexual assault'. I can think of a pretty wide swathe of dark stuff I'm consumed, both fictional and historical, without any 'major scenes of sexual assault'. (And the thing in common between the ones that have them is usually that they are terrible works.) So going 'oh I can only think of three major scenes' is kinda jarring.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

The basis of darkness in literary works is characters being treated as objects.

Drinking blood, making things from skin/hair/bones, enslaving them, manipulating them into doing things they find abhorrent, eating them, murdering them en-masse. All of which are awful and are all examples of dehumanization.

In a setting where such things happen routinely, sexual assault occurring, as well, is a foregone conclusion. I agree that it can be over-used as a plot element (like in Game of Thrones, I'll agree), and I'll agree that showing it explicitly doesn't necessarily add that much to the level of darkness since it can typically be assumed, but I'll ask you- is it plausible to you, in your fictional/historical dark stuff, that the evil characters say "Oh, I'll murder you in the most slow and agonizing way I can think of, but don't worry, I won't touch your naughty bits"?

If you just omit the second half of that sentence then it's absolutely plausible.

In the real world there isn't the one model for dehumanisation, for example while rape may well have happened during the holocaust, it would be generally an anomaly in the industrialised process of mass killing with its studious fixation on keeping clean from the Jews. There's also no rape in 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World. When I'm reading Joe Sacco's accounts I'm never thinking 'hmm, where's my rape scene'. When I'm reading Soviet memoirs where it's very clear the speakers may well have participated in rape but they don't talk about it except in the most circumspect terms, there's no loss of 'plausibility'. The darkness exists in what is not being said.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Davincie posted:

did you somehow forget all the sexual violence in brave new world

Maybe. It's been a while, remind me where there's a rape scene. I couldn't remember anything and google throws up an essay saying categorically "no rapes occur in Brave New World as there is no thirst for power or control".

Spiritus Nox posted:

"whether or not a scene has an interesting point that I hadn't considered before" >>>> "whether or not a scene is plausible", IMO

Haven't watched/read Berserk so I can't really comment more specifically than that.

Also this.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 8, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

So who's gonna make the thread for Eccentric Family S2?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I hope this series is crushingly depressing enough to live up to the tezuka heritage.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't see why you would adapt another little sister story from the Oreimo guy if you aren't doing it for the incest fetish crowd. "Nah it's actually about..." rings incredibly false.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Totally stolen from the ending of Planetes, though.

Anyway I made the Bahamut 2 thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818107

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I could see cutting Alice and Zoroku and WorldEnd on that basis but the others on that list pass that test pretty well?

Azazel is hella moe

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What is the nature of Amazon's deal? Is it a flat X amount or a percentage cut?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Space Flower posted:

While we're addressing contentious subjects, I'd like to remind everyone who watched Ai Mai Mi last season: the earth is round, you idiots, you absolute morons

? I didn't watch it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways, I see where they're coming from! I don't agree with it but that's different cultures for you, which is one of the benefits of watching media from a foreign culture. (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid hit me full in the face the other day where a doctor wasn't going to treat a criminal because he was a criminal, and according to my American morals I was going "No! You treat the man and THEN hand him to the justice system! You are not his executioner!" -- but also to be fair to Ex-Aid it's hard to tell if it's pushing things for drama or not, so idk.)

Thank you again!

Hmm, how does that apply to Monster?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

what recent anime has advanced feminism?

Gatchaman Crowds.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, if i remember correctly romeo x juliet was kind of pretty but otherwise completely forgettable

Did they die at the end?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Romeo-senpai, Romeo-senpai, wherefore art thou... you baka...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

...? The joke is that the anime Romeo x Juliet is apparently 'very different in a very anime way' and I'm trying to imagine what that would be.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What an original concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's got some interesting staff involved, that's enough for it to be worth keeping an eye on.

Interesting staff who did series composition on Eromanga Sensei, Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn and And you thought there is never a girl online?

• Locked thread