Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

My Hero Academia 2 (Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season)
Bones | Nagasaki, Kenji | ... | Action, Comedy, Super Power, School, Shounen | Manga | Apr 1, 2017
The second season of Boku no Hero Academia.
Thread

Fukumenkei Noise
Brain's Base | Takahashi, Hideya | ... | Music, Romance, Shoujo | Manga | Apr 11, 2017
Nino, a girl who likes to sing, experienced two farewells in the past. First, with her first love, Momo, and second, with Yuzu, a boy who composes music. But upon those two farewells, she made a promise with each of them: to continue singing until they find her voice again. Time has passed, and now these three are in high school...?!

Sakura Quest
P.A. Works | Masui, Souichi | ... | Comedy | Original | Apr 5, 2017
In the wake of a nationwide movement during the Bubble economy period, a small town in the countryside has revived its "mini-nation" tourism program; hiring five girls as travel ambassadors. The series will follow a year's time of the five girls as they work in the tourism agency of a small failing town in an effort to reinvigorate it.

Winter leftovers

Little Witch Academia

I'll be watching these four. I'm still unsure about Fukumenkei Noise (haven't read the source) but I'll try anything that has both "Music" and "Shoujo" tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Yessss. I knew that Shaft would do another season (after all, the source material only gets better as it goes on), I just didn't expect it to be so soon!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Sakura Quest was pretty good! It seems like it will be a more chilled-out Hanasaku Iroha type show but with adult characters and a few spoonfuls of atmosphere borrowed from Non Non Biyori or Barakamon if that makes any sense.

I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes and getting to know the side characters better, they seem fun.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

If you're going to compare Sakura Quest to another PA Works show, I think Hanasaku Iroha is a much closer match than Shirobako (ignoring main character ages of course).

They're both fish out of water stories about a city person begrudgingly moving out to the country to work a job they have no experience in, thrust in amongst a bunch of wacky people they just met, and having to make the best out of it. On the other hand it feels like Sakura Quest is going to be more lighthearted and less melodramatic than Hanasaku, though it's hard to tell for sure from one episode.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

hanasaku iroha, shirobako and sakura quest are all three part of the 'working' series. so described by PA works themselves. PA works wants you to compare them, because they themselves have made them part of a series 'about people and their jobs'

Oh, neat! I didn't know it was that was a planned thing from the get-go, I just assumed they found a niche in the market that worked for them and were sticking with it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The first episode of Fukumenkei Noise had:

- Fairly budget animation
- A couple ugly and unnecessary CG shots
- A manic pace that plowed through the exposition too fast
- Lots of shoujo love triangle tropes

And despite all of that, I liked it a lot and I'm going to watch the whole series. If you like rock music and romance drama, consider giving it a watch.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

ep2 of fukemenkei nosie was an insane waste of time. 18 minutes of flashbacks to things we already saw summarized in ep1 !

Yeah.

After the first episode I complained that it rushed through the exposition too fast, but that's because I didn't expect them to spend any more time on it. There is a comfy middle ground between thirty seconds of frenzied flashback cuts and nearly an entire episode of flashback with like a minute of reused shots. Not sure what Brains Base was thinking. Making the second episode jerk the audience out of the story only to bore them is not a good idea.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Doesn't seem too bad.

Excited for:
- Made in Abyss
- Owarimonogatari S2
- Centaur's Worries

Will at least check out:
- Ballroom
- that Vatican detective show because why not

Will certainly keep watching:
- My Hero Academia
- Sakura Quest
- Teekyuu
- New Game +

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

chumbler posted:

Symphogear

One day I'll watch Symphogear. Probably.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Agronox posted:

No idea what it is from but I like your new av, Mentat.

It's from a very :kimchi: yuri manga called Kase-san, or rather its ongoing sequel Yamada to Kase-san.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today, especially if that thing is watching Symphogear

I watched the first two episodes a while back and couldn't really get into it, but I've seen that "how much I enjoyed Symphogear" graph so I know it deserves my time at some point. I have a big mecha backlog that I'm determined to work through first though.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

What's on your mecha log?

Mentat Radnor posted:

My list:

- Turn A Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
- Giant Robo
- The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (1982)
- Bodacious Space Pirates

Watching 0080 tomorrow night with some friends and some beers.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

bodacious space pirates isnt mecha...

Don't care, gonna watch it anyway and imagine what kind of robots they would pilot.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Alright, whoever stole that beautiful man's nipples give them back right now.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Namtab posted:

When I see the idiots here insulting kyoani I remember that they made k-on and bask in my superior taste and intellect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yNhl8wT3Pc

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Sorry everyone, Oreki is taken.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Summer 2017: It will be great, as long as they skip the first chapter.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

fannysonally, feel like we can skip that chapter

Agreed, and also congratulations on your creation of a new word.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Space Flower posted:

why is the first chapter of cw a meme when the same level of frank, open-minded sex talk is in the rest of the series, just interspersed throughout instead of frontloaded

It's exactly that I think. It's the first chapter of what is ostensibly a cute slice of life, so it's just surprising. Audience expectation being different than what they get leaves a big impression, regardless of if it's good or bad or uhh . . . SFW spoilers

:perfect:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Relin posted:

hundreds of pages of the authors weird political beliefs

Ah yes, the same reason I dislike the works of Tolkien. After all, he was clearly in support of a society of murderous orcs led by a wizard. You know, because he depicted that in a work of fiction.

an actual dog posted:

wow, this manga is woker than I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Srice posted:

You joke but stuff with orcs did become a point of contention, for some good reasons that someone more well-versed in tokien than me could elaborate on.

Well poo poo, it figures. Actually that highlights my point; an author could write a fiction book about cute yeast cells going about their lives, eating sugar and farting CO2, reproducing by budding, and someone somewhere would call out the author for supporting fascism.

Space Flower posted:

but I'd still disagree because the politics is part of the detailed world building that makes the series interesting and relevant.

Yeah, this.

• Locked thread