Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nothing in this season really leaps out at me, but I'll probably give Alice To Zouroku, Hinako Note, Re:Creators, and Sakura Quest a chance. Hoping LWA rediscovers its spark at some point, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AoT started off really cool, but the further I got away from the early episodes and the more I learned about the later manga, the less enthusiastic I got about it. I don't know if I'll bother with S2.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

littleorv posted:

So what was in the basement anyways? Was it some hosed up poo poo?

As I understand it, it was evidence that what's-his-face's dad came from a society beyond the walls, and Humanity isn't actually extinct out there after all. Also, there were photos there despite that technology not existing in the setting previously, suggesting that the outside civilization is more technologically advanced than the one inside the walls.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think Maria would be happy about that

Chris, however, is probably extremely into it

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I shall remain steadfast in Fafnir's scornful gaze.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fixed that for you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

We all know what Fafnir's into

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I should probably look up what Violet Evergarden is actually about at some point before it hits, huh

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

No, it's just a trailer.

Gorgeous trailer, mind. It looks closer to Silent Voice than any of the TV shows.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oshiyama isn't on Devilman, is he? I heard he was doing something with Yuasa later this year.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

*extreme hacker voice* I'm in

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Noted Comedy, Katanagatari.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Hidamari Sketch S5. :colbert:

What if they're one and the same

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think it's some sort of Mobage where it's basically "what if the Madokas were JRPG archetypes."

I would totally loving watch that show, by the way, even if it wouldn't be nearly as good as Madoka. I would definitely be down to see Sayaka get to be a chivalrous lady knight who doesn't have her youthful optimism chewed up and spat out by a manipulative and uncaring machine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

also, the main character of the Madoka Isekai is Sayaka's boyfriend, it's a harem anime

Fuckin' blasphemy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Davincie posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/anime-weekend-sale/

scroll down, crunchyroll is selling anime shows on steam now?

Huh. Not downloadable, are they? I'd like a legal means of having shows I like on my hard drive, but I'm not sure if there's a way for them to do that without making piracy even easier than it already is...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus that gif is a thousand times worse in slow motion.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I have no idea what a Pop Team Epic show will even be about, but it should be funny.

ALSO

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/848198021246570496

:toot:

Glad we don't have that long to wait for more New Game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm a little unsure about some of the supernatural bits in Alice&Zoroku, and the production values got pretty rough in spots, but other than that the first ep was a winner. Definitely gonna be back for more.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maidragon's finale was as good as it could possibly have been, locked down its position as winter AOTS by a mile. 2nd place for me is probably gonna be Bang Dream, although its schedule is weird so it still has like 3 or 4 episodes left. GabDro's 3rd, maybe 2nd if Bang Dream just tanks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakura Quest's debut was pretty good. I still don't entirely get all the Shirobako comps it's been getting, but it looks like I could maybe wind up liking it as much as I did Shirobako.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, there's obvious similarities but I've seen a few folks calling it "Shirobako but for Country PR", which seems like an even less useful comparison than the New Game "Shirobako but Games" stuff a while back.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

the setup/characters in Sakura Quest weren't as immediately interesting as shirobako's and I didn't really get a feel for anybody, but the comedy in the back half was amazing and there was some good character animation. Definitely going to keep watching.

The bit with Yoshino ignoring the prop sword and just loving decking gramps, only to accidentally send him to the hospital was really great, did a great job of toying with my expectations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hinako Note was nice enough. Reasonably pretty show, cozy tone, characters seem nice enough. The "this girl eats books' thing all the summaries mentioned doesn't seem to actually matter at all outside of a gag? But other than that it seems as good a pick as any if you're looking for a cozy CGDCT show. Staying on the queue for now.

So, so far I've got Alice&Zokurou, Sakura Quest, and Hinako Note. Plus my continuing enjoyment of DBS and maaaaybe Attack On 2itan. Reasonable enough load for a season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Grumpy Gramp With No Patience For Magical Girl Bullshit

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

is it plausible to you, in your fictional/historical dark stuff, that the evil characters say "Oh, I'll murder you in the most slow and agonizing way I can think of, but don't worry, I won't touch your naughty bits"?

"whether or not a scene has an interesting point that I hadn't considered before" >>>> "whether or not a scene is plausible", IMO

Haven't watched/read Berserk so I can't really comment more specifically than that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hinako Note didn't blow me away or anything, but I could see it being a nice cozy SoL show. Could do some reasonably interesting things by juxtaposing the protag's anxiety against something that puts her out there the way a theater troupe would.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Really enjoying Alice & Zoroku so far. Probably off to the strongest start of anything I've picked up this season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The anime with the incredibly long name that people seem to be shortening to Sukasuka is off to a very strong start. We'll see if it holds up, but I can't really name anything in particular that the first ep didn't do well. Definitely keeping it on the queue for now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I was okay with the first ep being as slow as it was but it's gonna need to up the energy levels pretty quick if I'm gonna keep watching.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/rakishanis/status/853019421333377024

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

WorldEnd continues to be quite good. I really like how they're drip-feeding reveals and hints about the protagonist's backstory and the overall state of the setting. Good pacing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Satana's VA was a very good choice for her.

Yeah, she really brought a ton of energy to the character.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Flip Flappers?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also Maid Dragon (usually).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Echoing the appreciation for the effortpost.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I caught up on Alice & Zouroku, and holy gently caress it's cute. This is what I signup up for.

I'll never get over how Sanae is literally just Yukari from Yuyushiki with a dye-job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'v watched so many anime about three mildly quirky girls having conversations in high school I honestly don't know if I've seen Yuyushiki.

Yuyushiki's the one where two of the 3 are extremely thirsty in addition to being quirky.

• Locked thread