Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Davincie posted:

this season sucks, last season sucks, next season is gonna suck. everything sucks

Gonzo still lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

they never actually died

Evidently, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sylphid posted:

Apocrypha, NTR, Symphogear, New Game, and Sakura Quest. Next season's gonna be hell for anime I want to watch.

Huh, that's the first time I've seen anyone have anything good to say about NTR.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What I've seen of Fate/Apocrypha's Servant designs mostly looks like hot garbage, and I'll miss the UFOtable house style, but even if it's not as pretty as it might be, it at least looks set to be a fun ride with cool action.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think jack and spartacus are the only two I'd say are garbage. Everyone else is decent to great.

And c'mon. How can you not love Shakespeare.

Shakespeare's pretty cool, but Karna and Siegfried are total overdesigned messes, and several of the others, like Achilles, Chiron, and the Monster, are just plain boring. The designer(s) didn't really have Takeuchi's touch for making simple but powerful and otherworldly-looking designs - compare Achilles to Iskander, for instance, or Karna to Cuchulainn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... huh.

https://twitter.com/animetbh/status/863774635460100096

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kater posted:

What was the show people were saying was okay with the jerk teacher?

The appropriately-named Bastard Magical Instructor.

On the other hand, other folks didn't like how rapey it apparently got in places.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Yuyushiki came out in the year of Non-Non Biyori S1 or S2, GJ-bu, and Kiniro Mosiac I believe. Twas a good year for SOL.

Ah, so you were not SOL for SOL?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

please do not make anime crowdfunding more popular or accessible for western fans

Eh, we might get a couple of decent-ish shows amidst the countless hordes of miserable failures.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sooo... schoolgirl Akagi, yeah?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

This week's Re-Creators was OK

Could have done without the first character to out themselves as gay dying immediately afterwards, even if it was a pretty obvious completion of the reference to the work they're most clearly inspired by.

Still, who knows, maybe being a magical girl means you can just shrug off being stabbed with gazillions of swords and then nuking yourself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

She said daisuki, which the subs translated as "like" in that conversation, and "love" when the evil girl said it to Souta

Daisuki is a really emphatic form of 'suki', or 'like'. Saying 'I really like you' while gazing into somebody's eyes and tenderly holding their hand before heading off to certain death is not exactly deep, hidden subtext.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

more seriously, nobody itt threw a fit about it so it's probably fine. i mostly hear that it's boring and heavy on exposition.

Also, Zero is pretty clearly a petite twentysomething/late teen in the show. Or, at least, relatively close to Mercenary's age, whatever the hell that is.

What I saw of it wasn't great, and was kind of ugly, but was thoroughly inoffensive and quite pleasantly chill for sword-and-sorcery fantasy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't Berserk really popular? Couldn't they have afforded good animation?

Late-night anime mostly gets the same (low) budget. Animation quality has a lot more to do with staff talent and time management, and by all accounts the Berserk staff are either complete rookies with CG or complete rookies, period.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This is a completely different series without a toy gimmick, and it's by Madhouse, so it won't be a bunch of still frames.

Well, there'll be less still frames. The last few Madhouse Marvel shows were OK visually, but I don't remember them being serious animation powerhouses.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a kitten posted:

No, that's Frederica.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Frederica is good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

I can't believe the Symphogears are going to defend slavery.

They already worked with the Ahnenerbe in S1 and had 9/11-chan make them suicide brooches in S3. This is par for the course.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

For the record, that's shows aired on that streaming service, which means that Hero Academia and Re:Creators aren't on there. Given what a megahit it is, I can see the absence of MHA skewing the numbers a little.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Should we set up a Summer Season thread yet, considering it's 3 weeks away?

Also new Kakegurui PV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2xJDuM9ZDM

Lookin' an awful lot like a milquetoast male lead in that trailer. Disappointing if true.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh poo poo, is that an anime announcement?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

What is this and how will it save anime?

It's a critically-acclaimed take by Naoki Urasawa (the guy who did Monster) on a famous story arc from Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy. By all accounts, super cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I wonder if it'll be a TV anime or an OVA series.

OVA/ONA, I would assume. Airing it on TV would be a bit difficult considering timeslot requirements - they did say the episodes would be extra-long.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Relin posted:

no one will keep watching CW unless they open with that chapter, because after that it's hundreds of pages of the authors weird political beliefs

Define 'weird'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It had a good 15 episodes of short arcs that didn't go anywhere, it abandoned everything that was cool about McGillis in favor of making him yet another gundam pilot, it sidelined or got rid of interesting characters, and then it ended with a ten year timeskip where they explained to us in three minutes how the main villain of the season solved all the problems of the whole show. It sucked.

I think that final timeskip was supposed to be jarring - there's a lot of very deliberate parallels with the history of Imprial Japan throughout the show that only grow stronger in the second season, and that whiplash of the enemy ending the war in the most horrific possible way and then turning out to be... well... not fantastic, but significantly less awful than expected is really key to what the show's trying to get across. It's a pretty bold attempt to bring that strange, confusing bundle of national guilt, pride, and trauma to a modern audience, and even if you question whether it sticks it, or whether that was a good idea in the first place, you do kind of have to respect the stones of a show that goes for that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

a bunch of people have found things to like about eromanga separate from the incest sword looming overhead

Yeah, basically, it sounds like it's as well-written and well-made as a paedophile incest fetish anime can be.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

afaik it doesn't portray pedophilia so that seems an odd flag to stick in it specifically

Sagiri (the little sister) is twelve, I believe.

• Locked thread