Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I guess I'm interested in these shows:

Alice to Zouroku
The Silver Guardian
KADO
What do you do at the end of the world?

And...that's really it? I'm not super optimistic about this season airing something really good, but I will be happy if I'm wrong.

...I also expect I'll happily check out the first episode of just about everything because it's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I am a little curious about the deal with Re:Creators. The summary makes it sound like Princess Tutu with giant robots.

If it's anything like this I'm in

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Space Flower posted:

the main pair is non blood related!

https://twitter.com/The_Doddler/status/840726294006452224

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Literally the first shot in Frame Arms Girl is panties.

I'm going to watch Angelic Layer instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Space Flower posted:

because the episode is over?

Because if I want an anime about toy-sized female fighters, I'm going to go straight for the best one, thank you. (At least I think it's the best one, it's by CLAMP and well-received so it's on the backlog :v:)

Guy Goodbody posted:

No it's not. There isn't a single pantyshot in Frame Arms Girl

:sigh:

You all know what I mean, the entire show feels like it was made to pander to a specific kink

edit: By the way it was nice to see yellow subtitles again, so I guess the show has that going for it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

okay this anime seems fu - uu-

quote:

Nomura Fudou was sent to this school after being part of a huge brawl. What will he do when the only options he has after enrolling are being expelled from that school or being corrected the way the rest of the male students there were...by being forced to dress and act like a girl!

NO. BAD! BAD!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dessel posted:

I was hoping Kado: The Right Answer to be a good "anti-anime", since episode 0 really seemed to imply such. Then episode 1 happened but it still looks good. Will definitely keep watching and hoping adults act like adults in this thing. Episode 1 reminded me of the 2016 Godzilla film in a good way, at least.

What... is anti-anime?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Lol at you guys talking about Torrents. I say we go further, cut ourselves off completely from dependence on streaming. Bring back fansubs!

"I'm only uploading the first episode because it's on Amazon early and a fansub group will be subbing it with Amazon's video."

nyaa's already ahead of you here buddy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

chumbler posted:

Is anti-anime, a deconstruction?

I saw Madoka once, I don't need to see it again

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it really is sad how the adaptation for a cell phone game got two big budget seasons dripping with charm and style but berserk ended up as... that.

... For a moment I thought you were talking about Kemono Friends and got super excited for a second season...

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 8, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dessel posted:

I knew I was going to get poo poo on for this, but no, I did not imply deconstruction as it would mean it's actively engaging what anime is. While I can appreciate anime with tropes and cliches included, Episode 0 had a refreshing lack of stereotypical anime poo poo in it and Episode 1 had a total mood whiplash. I know live action is a choice, but I can appreciate a show that considers animation just a delivery method, not a stylistic choice, especially as it can be used to deliver stories on a budget that would be extremely campy or limited otherwise.

Ah, gotcha.

...Kind of like the Ghost in the Shell movie / SAC, or Cowboy Bebop - they're anime, but they aren't the usual range of YA fiction with moe highschoolers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

rincewind101 posted:

ID-0 is.... interesting. It's all CG, right? But it doesn't make my eyes bleed so I'm content to keep watching. Curious if geology will really matter much in this show or if they'll drop that angle, but eh. The ED is charmingly old sounding.

Why would you want pain sensors in your space robot?

Grimoire of Zero is fine so far. Zero herself seems like the best character. Catman casually killing dudes right before being shown as a bullied kid was a bit of tonal whiplash, I thought? But that's how you establish character I guess.

ID-0: so your space robot can tell you what's been harmed/broken in its systems, I assume.

Zero: It reminded me of Inuyasha in a charming way. Here's a kid who's been bullied all of his life, with the bullying just getting worse to the point of armed bandits trying to kill him everywhere he goes that...it made sense? And it helped ground him as a character, remind you that he's as human as a tigerman can be. He can kill, but he didn't start out that callous.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My problem with it is that the plot makes no sense. Lucifer won't work with Levi except now she will, she can beat up all the demons except now they can cut her wings off, and she's been sent to Earth.... why?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RottenK posted:

is he from the 7 deadly boob demons show

Reverse image google says he's from the Virgin Soul show :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

what recent anime has advanced feminism?

Keijo!!!!!!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, a serious answer to this question: I think the shows (recent ones) that have most advanced feminism so far are the ones that promote female friendships, not being catty to each other, and generally saying that girls can be powerful, cool, and have friends without having to tear each other apart.

And so: Keijo (to my surprise) fits this bill....

but the real winner here is the Precure franchise, as it's founded on "girls can be friends and be cool and still be girly" without any of the sex stuff or fetish stuff or anything. It's real good, even if I don't personally like Precure. (Too silly for me / I'm too devoted to Sailor Moon)

And of course, obligatory shout-out to Sailor Moon, which is like, feminism 101: you can be cool, awesome, wear a short skirt and own it, you can have a boyfriend but you can care about your girlfriends too, and if you're strong enough your friends will be there for you - and you'll eventually become literal queen of the universe.

Basically it's one of the most empowering things I've ever seen and I love it to bits and pieces.

**Note that Sailor Moon Crystal does not apply here because it's terrible and pushes the "I will die for this boy I met three weeks ago" which is just unhealthy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

a lot of japanese feminists hate precure and sailor moon lol

I am genuinely curious as to why. I expect it's the cultural differences - Americans love Asuka, Japanese folk love Rei - but if there's more to it than that broad generalization I'd love to hear it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph, thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for, and it's fascinating.

I disagree with a lot of it mostly because I'm from the American feminism where it's not "I am as strong as a man", it's that I can take strength from being girly and feminine, which is kind of what you're forbidden from taking strength in here in America. Show up as a bubbly cheerleader in pink clothes and you will be dismissed unless you happen to be mega-rich/have "masculine" influence that proves that despite your looks, you can run with the alpha males. (Not to mention that to succeed as a masculine girl you have to be as tough - see Aliens, honestly.) I see Sailor Moon as going "you can be awesome and feminine without having to become male in your manner to have that power" which is incredible to me? (Not to mention that American cartoons love to have the femme fatale / manipulative woman as a figure who isn't feminist, but vile, and it's hard to reclaim that? Kind of?) ... but ah, I'm kind of rambling, sorry.

Anyways, I see where they're coming from! I don't agree with it but that's different cultures for you, which is one of the benefits of watching media from a foreign culture. (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid hit me full in the face the other day where a doctor wasn't going to treat a criminal because he was a criminal, and according to my American morals I was going "No! You treat the man and THEN hand him to the justice system! You are not his executioner!" -- but also to be fair to Ex-Aid it's hard to tell if it's pushing things for drama or not, so idk.)

Thank you again!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fangz posted:

Hmm, how does that apply to Monster?

Haven't seen it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

het so its trash op

I know it's rare but some het ships are okay

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

an actual dog posted:

This season feels worse than it is because amazon sucked up the good shows.

And potential great show of the season ID0 has vanished into netflix, so yeah.

Also remember that we're comparing this season to last season, which was honestly incredible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

All animes are probably going to be bad this year might as well close the thread then

I have faith at least one will be good this year, and so I'm still here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Did IBO stick the landing? I saw 12 eps and then waited until it was all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The first season was pretty solid, but the second was rear end.

Well drat. Thanks!

• Locked thread