Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LWA might be the only thing I'll watch in the Spring, a show I am only doing so reluctantly in the Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I'm hungry will I have to eat Gamer Grub while watching the Gamer show

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Grouchio posted:

What do you mean UQ Holder's getting an anime?

https://twitter.com/UQHOLDER_anime
It's probably going to be bad, because that's what is fated to happen with Ken Akamatsu adaptions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The entirety of Shirou's character arc across all three FSN routes is a thousand times more developed/interesting/nuanced than anything in Zero.

Though Rider/Waver are ofc a lot of fun and Berserker Zero might be the only time I've felt a Servant in that franchise was actually "cool".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best part of UBW TV anime is the epilogue scenes since it's essentially all entirely new.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd like to believe it's not, but the product has also gotten exponentially more complicated since I became a fan to the point where I just kind of zone out when people talk about the various spinoffs.

The original Fate/stay night VN (specifically the 2012 Realta Nua version, with individual installs for each route) remains a very solid fantasy/action/adventure story with some zany twists and memorable characters. Certainly comes with some caveats or parts that aren't as good as others, but as a self-contained story it works far better than any other individual entry in the franchise. It has a heart to it that I don't feel has been replicated in any of the spinoffs or sequels/prequels. If you can make it through that, you'll be kind of set because then you can seek or whatever else in the Fate/ series piques your interest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't watch the 2006 DEEN anime. Please. I'd rather someone just skip the franchise altogether than go down that rabbit hole.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Waffleman_ posted:

Fate route's not really that important anyway if you're aware of the concept of the franchise. I'm just saying we're getting close to a point where people won't haaave to read a shittily translated VN for 24 hours.
The new TL patch that came out a couple of years ago for the PC re-releases is pretty decent. In my re-read I noticed at least one "Itadakimasu" which made my eye involuntarily twitch but it otherwise seemed fine

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Going with Fate/Zero first unfortunately results in a lot of incongruity with tone and character arcs when going back to FSN. You can technically do it and won't be lost, but it absolutely comes with its own host of caveats. It works best as a follow up to Heaven's Feel, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

The actual Fate route is a solid Urban Fantasy adventure romp with most of the usual story telling tropes; what makes FSN shine for me is how the next two routes kinda go back and look at the original work as a retrospective taking it apart and then putting it back together.
Yeah. FSN, perhaps more than any other VN I can think of, utilizes its route structure in a surprisingly intelligent way in terms of characterization and contrasting storylines.The way certain characters behave and interact changing route-to-route, as well as the way story beats do or do not play out, is really neat as you progress through. Both of the better, later two routes would lose a decent amount without the background knowledge from Fate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is exceedingly difficult to revist the Fate route after you've already played the game, I will say. When I reread the VN when the 2012 RN patch came out it took me months to get through Fate because so much of it is obviously spent on establishing the skeleton of the story and thus has more exposition and over-explanations than the rest. A lot of characters are just kind of weirdly portrayed, which perhaps might be a given since their incarnations have evolved so much over the years. Its HGW is also the most by the books and the least interesting of any that I can think of.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Rebellion ends on a huge cliffhanger so I would like more Madoka please.
I would actually argue that Rebellion has a pretty definitive ending. I'm pretty satisfied not having any more.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just feel it's far more interesting left open ended the way it is. It establishes what is essentially an angels vs. demons, "good" vs. "evil" dynamic with our characters that I'd rather speculate about what might happen in the future (if anything at all), and if anything knowing rather than speculating would potentially diminish it. Unless a potential Rebellion follow up is as weird and interesting and ballsy in comparison to that movie as Rebellion itself was to the TV ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So Rakugo S2 finished and you know what, that show is pretty, pretty, pretty good. Yeah.

E: Probably better said in the Winter thread instead but oh well~

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 26, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I watched Busou Renkein rather than read it, but I still remember enjoying it quite a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I will silently judge anyone who does not pick Rakugo, even if the excuse is they haven't seen it yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

For me Rakugo was a series I looked forward to for the excellence of the craft rather than for the story being told. It's a sublimely told story, I just didn't care for the characters or the plot.
To each his own obviously, but I can't think of a set of characters I've cared about more in recent times than Yakumo/Yotaro/Konatsu. Everything about their dynamic was riveting and engaging, and Yakumo's life story in general was a tale woven through so many highs and lows, bouts of tragedy and catharsis. Everyone was very organic and layered, in that you'd come to view them in very different lights for past events as the story plowed on. It was a family that had been through the poo poo together and how they did (or did not) come together to overcome such difficulties was beautiful.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having watched all of Osomatsu-san a month or so ago...................good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have nostalgia for the first Berserk anime and it does have a great (GREAT) Susumu Hirasawa soundtrack, but the manga is definitely the way to go even for those early arcs. I'm not sure how much of this is how terrible the various adaptions have been over the years (whether it was anime or games), but Berserk more than any other manga series I feel just only works in that medium, especially in terms of art and general spectacle. There is a gravitas and ruthlessness that just gets watered down when it gets away from Miura's hand.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Parallax posted:

it isn't about necessity, berserk's scenes of sexual assault are hugely impactful on their characters and are a big part of the story. they aren't there to make the world dark and scary, they're there because the world is dark and scary and berserk is about characters finding ways to deal with those things
Berserk has gotten a lot tamer in more recent arcs (though I say recent this is going back like 10 years or so) but at least one of these moments in the story, and you probably know the one I mean, essentially establishes the framework of most of the story/main characters and I don't see how it could be done any differently. As contrast by GoT stuff which has always felt unsavory and tacked on.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Glad that wardrobes in fantasy continue to be really dumb and impractical.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Did they die at the end?
You know I honestly don't remember.

I do remember they made Mercutio kind of a lame jerk.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'll definitely watch Owarimonogatari and Tsurezure Children, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess I might check out Centaur's Worries if only because it's been so long since I've seen a chapter in the wild.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So far the Akira Ishida Apocrypha manga is alright. I like Rider of Black.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mentat Radnor posted:

Watching 0080 tomorrow night with some friends and some beers.
I'm not as hot on 0080 as most people but otherwise that is a real good list, so have fun, definitely wish I could go through some of those for the first time again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yuyushiki came out in the year of Non-Non Biyori S1 or S2, GJ-bu, and Kiniro Mosiac I believe. Twas a good year for SOL.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All of that sounds amazing. While I liked The Boy and the Beast a lot it felt...I dunno, a more traditional action/fantasy story? But without the bombastic fun and emotional core of the family in Summer Wars.

That said, having seen something similar more or less play out in real life (sans magic, as far as I know) with my nieces who are about that age apart I find it hard to believe a 4 year old is a believable age for a protagonist in that situation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last third of S1 is also pretty bad.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Parallax posted:

maybe stair will get his dream of new amagi after all

but haruhi is dead forever
That's my dream too!!

Haruhi post-Disappearance is pretty mediocre so probably better it stays dead tbh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would never besmirch Haruhi 2006, that is a great loving show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yes, please, and thank you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Without having watched any of it, I can.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For a series ostensibly built on being relaxing and the feels I found the first season to be neither (just boring, the bad kind not the Non Non Biyori kind) and never went beyond that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would call Mushishi more mesmerizing/fascinating/introspective than relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed IBO S2 well enough (way more than any other Gundam TV series other than Turn A) but it was basically just "fine" by the end.

• Locked thread