Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mordhau is an upcoming multiplayer medieval combat game in the vein of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and War of the Roses. It also features large-scale battles, mounted combat and siege warfare similar to Mount & Blade. It promises an impressively fluid, free-form combat system and extensive customization options, with the ultimate goal being to strike a balance between gameplay and realism while avoiding the pitfalls of the genre. The game is currently being developed by Triternion, a small international team of developers.

When will it be released?

The current planned release date is early 2018 as per the developers; however, this is only an estimate. The alpha is scheduled for August 2017, the beta for January 2018. They will be open for Kickstarter backers, depending on the tier you've backed.

Which systems will it be released for?

This is a PC-only game and there are no plans to make a console version. However, controller support is offered. Steam will be the main distribution platform. As for OS, only Windows is supported at this point.

I am intrigued, but would like to know more/see the game in action

The following videos might be interesting:

Devs:

Melee Combat Gameplay
Kickstarter pitch
Mordhau Dev Blog - #1 Basic
Mordhau Dev Blog - #2 Melee Combat
Mordhau Dev Blog - #3 Customization

External:

Mordhau | Medieval Melee Gameplay
Mordhau Interview: Matchmaking, Customization, and More
Best For Honor Alternative? - Mordhau!

Keep in mind that this is all pre-alpha footage.

Will we be able to press C to scream?

Yes!

quote:

EXPRESS YOURSELF. Use animated emotes and voice commands to scream at the top of your lungs as you charge into battle, or simply sit back and laugh at your enemy's demise.

I'm convinced, is there a way for me to support the development of this game?

Yes. Though the very successful Kickstarter has ended, alpha/beta access will be available through a web shop on the Mordhau site. I will update the OP as soon as this is the case.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

While screaming is essential, I am incredibly pleased to see physical taunts added as well.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Do we know what else the developers have made? It does look cool but are there any assurances it don't be really buggy? With a game like chivalry where precision of the controls and netcode and stuff are so important, I'm still kinda unconvinced until I hear from people who have actually played it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just hope the voice acting is as gloriously hammy as in Chivalry, because hot drat the emotes in that game are god tier.

YOUUUU - AAARRRE - AY LUMP - OF FOULLLL - DEFORRRMITAYYYY

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This looks like it could be pretty drat fun. They basically took Chivalry's system wholesale, removed the jank and engine-exploits, and then polished the whole thing a bunch. There seems to be a decent mix of mechanics that reward aggression and speed. I'm curious if/how they'll implement stamina.

I was about to be a bit leery about the customisation, but from the looks of it it'll be almost entirely visual. Can't wait to run around as a fat naked lady wearing only a giant pot helmet for armour. :getin:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also in the end of the trailer the dude screws off the pommel of his sword and throws it at his opponent's head. The devs confirm in the comments that this will be in the final game.

loving SOLD.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I posted because you said to post, also I'm posting because I backed it with 40 bucks

COME ONNNN--YEEEAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Why must this be so far away. I'm almost tempted to go in for the tier that offers alpha access, but I really can't justify throwing 60$ in there just for that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I hope the game will be at least moddable enough that we can mod in Chivalry's voice lines in case the vanilla ones turn out lacking.

YOU SCULLION, I'LL TICKLE YOUR CATASTROPHE

Discussion > Games > Mordhau: PYF Chivalry emotes

Nah, I'll stop now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As somebody pointed out in another thread, this is going to have a stamina system, making it a Grade AAA Joke.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

As somebody pointed out in another thread, this is going to have a stamina system, making it a Grade AAA Joke.

How so? Chivalry also had stamina, and IIRC it generally worked well to encourage offensive play. It was pretty straightforward: If you blocked an enemy attack or entirely whiffed one of your own it cost stamina, but when your attack actually connected (even blocked) it cost nothing. So mostly it was there to discourage spamming and turtling, and also gave a bit of an additional incentive to dodging enemy attacks rather than blocking them. But as long as you actually hit, you could wail on your opponent all day long.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A stamina system is fine when it allows for good counter-play. If you watch the Combat video posted in the OP, in Mordhau if you parry enough times you get disarmed. If someone comes at you spamming and you're not good enough to chamber every time, you get punished for it. It's the thing you ran into in the sperg leagues in Chivalry, if you were able to block their crazy twirling poo poo they'd just bash you out of stamina and then cut you apart. Stamina systems have always felt like something that's only there to punish you for loving up rather than actually limiting bad play behaviour.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

Do we know what else the developers have made? It does look cool but are there any assurances it don't be really buggy? With a game like chivalry where precision of the controls and netcode and stuff are so important, I'm still kinda unconvinced until I hear from people who have actually played it.

As far as I can tell, it's their first game. But they've consistently emphasized the collision detection and precision in general, and they've made a point of eliminating Chivalry's gimmick moves, so I'm inclined to believe that that's where their focus is. There will also be dedicated servers precisely for that reason.

quote:

DEDICATED SERVERS. Bad netcode can ruin a multiplayer game, especially a melee title with a focus on precise timing. Peer-to-peer? No thanks. Dedicated servers ensure a stable experience and low ping.

The gameplay itself looks tight enough, but of course, we'll only know for sure once we actually play it. That's why someone needs to take the plunge and back the alpha tier so they can tell us their impressions a few months from now

Orv posted:

A stamina system is fine when it allows for good counter-play. If you watch the Combat video posted in the OP, in Mordhau if you parry enough times you get disarmed. If someone comes at you spamming and you're not good enough to chamber every time, you get punished for it. It's the thing you ran into in the sperg leagues in Chivalry, if you were able to block their crazy twirling poo poo they'd just bash you out of stamina and then cut you apart. Stamina systems have always felt like something that's only there to punish you for loving up rather than actually limiting bad play behaviour.

Stamina's not a deal breaker for me, but that was probably the only part of that video I didn't like. Where did that dude's sword go? I wasn't even analyzing the reason, I just thought it was bullshit that you could be disarmed at all.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 11, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its probably going to be a broken buggy mess for years but ill check it out on launch OP

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Will we be able to press C to scream?

Yes!

That's all I need to know.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Was randomly browsing imgur (what the gently caress am I doing with my life) and came across this neat .gif

http://i.imgur.com/Sj2kKbo.mp4

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I really love how that head rolls along the arm.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:siren:First stretch goal has been reached:siren:

We've reached the first stretch goal of $125,000! There will now be an even wider selection of weapons and armor. I'd post the Kickstarter stretch goal image but I still haven't figured out how to do that on my phone.

The next stretch goal is mod tools at $200,000. You'll even be able to create maps. With the Mount & Blade influence and the dedicated fan base it has even at this point, this has the potential to be a literal game-changer. They might have spaced out the stretch goals a little too much, but I'm confident they'll reach that one at least. So tell your hack 'n' slash-loving friends about this game and the Kickstarter.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nordick posted:

Also in the end of the trailer the dude screws off the pommel of his sword and throws it at his opponent's head. The devs confirm in the comments that this will be in the final game.

loving SOLD.
If you don't know who is responsible for the pommel meme, here's a link to him talking about this game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlLbcubmfhk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd never heard of him before, but apparently he's big in the YouTube medieval combat scene, so this is good.

Anyway, for those of you who are insufficiently excited for the modding stretch goal, I present the following gif:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Archers became a deal break for Chivalry when you could just amass several of them and every kill you made soon got an arrow in your face. Couldn't find limited archer servers and quit. I hope this game won't have the same.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK looking at those gifs, I think I need this game to be out ASAP, it looks to have all the silliness I loved in Chivalry without the silliness I didn't like (spins, jankiness, twisting at unnatural angles)

I am kinda afraid of shelling out money for kickstarters though, did they ever say what will be the finished package price? If it's a full priced 60$ game I could take the bet of paying 25$ to eventually, hopefully, get a full functioning game but if it'll be about the same price I'm not going to risk it, I have been burned a couple times already

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Looks interesting and fun, but based on the track record of games like this recently, will probably be buggy unplayable poo poo.

Still, will be interesting to see when it comes out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Couldn't find limited archer servers and quit.

there were assloads of them

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There will be archers in this game, but given how little they've been emphasized in the artwork and trailers, I feel like they're not going to be ubiquitous or very effective.

TorakFade posted:

I am kinda afraid of shelling out money for kickstarters though, did they ever say what will be the finished package price? If it's a full priced 60$ game I could take the bet of paying 25$ to eventually, hopefully, get a full functioning game but if it'll be about the same price I'm not going to risk it, I have been burned a couple times already

In their FAQ they say the eventual release price will probably (!) be $20-30, so you likely won't be saving money backing the Kickstarter. Maybe you could wait for one of the spots in the Early Bird tier to open up and grab it for $20? That would be a good deal. If not that's cool, these guys seem to have their priorities straight, but every Kickstarter is still a risk.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Which 'kickstarters of this genre' failed horribly? I mean, kickstarters in general are kind of dumb (my no. 1 reason: backing a game and then waiting a year to play it is a great way to lose interest, and even if the game doesn't suck maybe I just won't have time to play it or care. RIP my 60$ on planetary annihilation, turns out I don't give a crap about RTSs, who knew) but I can't even think of any Chivalry-esque game that was released recently, let alone one that was a buggy mess.

Mordhau looks awesome but I don't think I'll back the KS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Very wary of another kickstarter since I'm already a backer for Kingdom Come Deliverance and kinda tired of backing games in general. But this looks very much like my jam.

Nordick posted:

Was randomly browsing imgur (what the gently caress am I doing with my life) and came across this neat .gif

http://i.imgur.com/Sj2kKbo.mp4

Oh jeeze this looks cool as hell.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Which 'kickstarters of this genre' failed horribly? I mean, kickstarters in general are kind of dumb (my no. 1 reason: backing a game and then waiting a year to play it is a great way to lose interest, and even if the game doesn't suck maybe I just won't have time to play it or care. RIP my 60$ on planetary annihilation, turns out I don't give a crap about RTSs, who knew) but I can't even think of any Chivalry-esque game that was released recently, let alone one that was a buggy mess.

Mordhau looks awesome but I don't think I'll back the KS.

Neal Stephenson's failed sword fighting game comes to mind. There were also those Mount & Blade engine spinoffs, specifically the two War of the Roses/Vikings games, which are now dead since the dev jumped ship to make Vermintide.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Funny enough, as cool as horses are my main concern about them isn't being run down by an entire calvary squad of players on foot. Rather, that maps may be sized where traveling on foot will by comparison be a real bitch.

But, given the emphasis on "Yes, screaming is bound to a button" and it being singular players rather than commanding herds of minions alongside you. Hopefully running to battle isn't any more of a thing as it was in Chivalry.

I can totally understand the concerns about Stamina not quite doing the job it is intended for, given it never seemed to penalize the contortionist helicopter blade players in Chivalry. Just made it more punishing to botch dealing with players who preferred to break the combat engine over their kneed rather than play along with it.

At least they are apparently wanting to avoid the more bizzare aspects of video gamey melee combat, but best of luck to them getting that sweet spot of practical to use too :v: Some of the most fun I had in Chivalry was just going around and having "I remembered my faster secondary weapon! (that isn't a dagger) to mix things up with my Knights and Vangurads against people who had parries and torso twirls against slower primary weapons down to a science.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Archers became a deal break for Chivalry when you could just amass several of them and every kill you made soon got an arrow in your face. Couldn't find limited archer servers and quit. I hope this game won't have the same.

Phlegmish posted:

There will be archers in this game, but given how little they've been emphasized in the artwork and trailers, I feel like they're not going to be ubiquitous or very effective.

For what it's worth, 90% of my kill count, (and eventually, 90% of my enjoyment) of playing Archer, was when I was wielding crossbows that could one shot my fellow archers, to shoot archers. In part because my aim is loving garbage, in part because "It feels like I should be helping the people without ranged weapons, by shooting those who do". Up until I unlocked Heavy Javelins :swoon:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I loved chasing people down and stabbing with my dagger. I was terrible with arrows.

Koramei posted:

there were assloads of them
I guess they were hidden from me.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 13, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know if you play TO, but pretty much all the 32-player dedicated servers on Chiv have a 4-archer limit now.

My shameful secret is I play archer about a third of the time, but an almost exclusively melee-focused one. The sabre is surprisingly effective and I'm surprised I'm pretty much the only one with this specific playstyle.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Neal Stephenson's failed sword fighting game comes to mind. There were also those Mount & Blade engine spinoffs, specifically the two War of the Roses/Vikings games, which are now dead since the dev jumped ship to make Vermintide.

All the signs I've seen from Triternion so far have been positive. The only potential warning sign for dev cohesion is that it's an international team, but this is not necessarily a problem.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 13, 2017

SMP
May 5, 2009

One of my greatest joys in life has been murdering the poo poo out of my friends as an archer in FFA. The rage is :discourse:

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcQde3dChFw

SMP fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 13, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Update #4 is about some of the in-game cosmetic rewards for the Kickstarter:

It all looks cool enough, though $100 is a little steep before you start getting them.

I did up my pledge to the $60 tier so I could get alpha access. You also get golden teeth, I wonder how that's going to work. It sounds stupid-looking enough to be funny.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Poors get to look like this Little John:

Whales get to look like this Li'l Jon:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ah crap you only live once, I backed this at 60$ for the alpha (mainly because I want to see this get done ASAP so I guess some extra bucks will motivate those guys)

Hopefully it doesn't end in tears and misery

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Ah crap you only live once, I backed this at 60$ for the alpha (mainly because I want to see this get done ASAP so I guess some extra bucks will motivate those guys)

Hopefully it doesn't end in tears and misery

I hope you realise you're now our collective guinea pig. Better post lots of impressions and whatever footage is allowed come the alpha. :colbert:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Perestroika posted:

I hope you realise you're now our collective guinea pig. Better post lots of impressions and whatever footage is allowed come the alpha. :colbert:

I'm afraid I will spend most of my time being repeatedly beheaded because guys who went for alpha access are probably great at this kind of game, while I somehow manage to get my rear end handed to me at Mount and Blade singleplayer.

We'll see in August I guess! Looking forward to facing off with the other 800 or so huge nerds that splurged for alpha access. My hope is I can do this all the time, every time:

Edit: for anyone wondering, here's the gif of pommel throwing, it's HILARIOUS

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 16, 2017

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

really ambitious plans for 80 000 dollars.
the budget itself looks good but im kinda doubtful that 80k is enough to make something they promised. Unless its already somewhat done.
character creator looks cool but at same time even that looks like something that has never attempted before (sculpting in live game???)
The guys dont mention any previous tittles they have worked on and that also is casting some doubt for me. Because its quite ambitious.

But hell i hope im wrong and they end up making really neat game about slashing stabbing and crushing.

also shouldnt this thing be in good kickstarter threads?
because it still long way off from being playable alpha (starts in august)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1070

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Updated the OP with some more videos, this time from YT commentators. I thought this one in particular was interesting because he goes into more detail about the combat mechanics than even the devs themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCEjYSZZ1dE

And this is from a year ago. I'd feel like such a badass deflecting a thrown short sword.

TorakFade posted:

I'm afraid I will spend most of my time being repeatedly beheaded because guys who went for alpha access are probably great at this kind of game, while I somehow manage to get my rear end handed to me at Mount and Blade singleplayer.

We'll see in August I guess! Looking forward to facing off with the other 800 or so huge nerds that splurged for alpha access. My hope is I can do this all the time, every time:

It will probably be a completely suboptimal or at least situational move, but you will definitely be able to do it. I think that philosophy of freedom is what I like so much about this game. It's reflected in the almost completely free-form nature of the combat, too. There's something like 240 different angles your character could be attacking from.

Dark Off posted:

really ambitious plans for 80 000 dollars.
the budget itself looks good but im kinda doubtful that 80k is enough to make something they promised. Unless its already somewhat done.
character creator looks cool but at same time even that looks like something that has never attempted before (sculpting in live game???)
The guys dont mention any previous tittles they have worked on and that also is casting some doubt for me. Because its quite ambitious.

But hell i hope im wrong and they end up making really neat game about slashing stabbing and crushing.

The Chivalry Kickstarter only got 85K back in the day (I was surprised when I found out, too). These guys already have 170K and will probably end up in the ballpark of 300K at least. All of the core mechanics are already in place, too, the KS is mostly to further refine them, improve animations/art, add voice acted commands, etc.

Of course, you are right that every Kickstarter is a risk and this is no exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phlegmish posted:

It will probably be a completely suboptimal or at least situational move, but you will definitely be able to do it. I think that philosophy of freedom is what I like so much about this game. It's reflected in the almost completely free-form nature of the combat, too. There's something like 240 different angles your character could be attacking from.

Oh I know but doing suboptimal fun stuff is how I roll.

Re the small money amount, let's consider that this is basically an FPS in a well established engine, not exactly groundbreaking rocket science, and it looks like chivalry 2.0 just with new graphics and a refined combat system - I bet a lot of lovely indie FPS games have been churned out with lesser budget, and this already looks more than halfway done from the devs videos.

Or maybe I just want to validate my expensive, impulsive backing :v:

• Locked thread