Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda

by Hand Knit
Conservative Catholics: Married men becoming priests? Gays can take communion now? What's next? A dog becoming Pope?
Liberal Catholics: Exactly.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
Episcopal church follows suit, installs the Barksbishop of Canterbury.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
ME reading the newspaper: A dog has been Pope for two years now and it still shocks me every time I'm reminded of it.

----------------

alnilam

cda posted:

You're trying to think of all the angles, if the Pope was a dog. Trying to anticipate the problems of having a dog Pope. Sun Tzu said that the best way to win a battle is before you ever reach the battlefield and you're committed to this concept of a dog Pope. Start by making sure the Cardinals are dog people and not cat people. Get the current Pope to say that dogs have souls. Bring Your Dog to Mass Sundays around the world. Start the process to get Lassie canonized and raise the profile of Saint Bernard. Classify the Iditarod as a pilgrimage. You've got a lot of good ideas, but here's what you need to understand: You can't possibly anticipate what would happen if the Pope was a dog and you shouldn't even try. Because it would be loving crazy if the Pope was a dog.

cda

by Hand Knit
[Context for this scene: It takes place in a universe much like our own, but where the Pope is a dog]

Man in a hospital: I get my liquids intravenously now, because of all the spit takes I was doing every time I remembered that the Pope is a dog.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
*logs into BYOB, sees thread titled "what if the pope was a man?*

me: lol *cracks knuckles* time to get to work on this insane premise.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Dog bites man, not a good news story. Pope bites man, now that's a good news story.

----------------

Space Taxi
Latest edict of Pope Dogedict VI:

In church-sanctioned exorcisms, all projectile vomit must be eaten.

Piso Mojado

Android Blues posted:

The pope would be unable to give edicts, or issue reassurance in times of world trouble, as he would be a dog. The pope would have no stance on gay rights.

Android Blues posted:

The pope who was a dog (if he was) would be under-informed theologically and likely would have no strong background in scholarship. The dog pope wouldn't know thing loving one about the Nicene Creed. If you left the pope at home for too long, he would urinate somewhere. Baptising the dog would also be a gently caress and a half.

lmao

Piso Mojado

cda posted:

You're trying to think of all the angles, if the Pope was a dog. Trying to anticipate the problems of having a dog Pope. Sun Tzu said that the best way to win a battle is before you ever reach the battlefield and you're committed to this concept of a dog Pope. Start by making sure the Cardinals are dog people and not cat people. Get the current Pope to say that dogs have souls. Bring Your Dog to Mass Sundays around the world. Start the process to get Lassie canonized and raise the profile of Saint Bernard. Classify the Iditarod as a pilgrimage. You've got a lot of good ideas, but here's what you need to understand: You can't possibly anticipate what would happen if the Pope was a dog and you shouldn't even try. Because it would be loving crazy if the Pope was a dog.

death sext

They're good popes, Brent

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mariana Horchata posted:

Dog Pope shits on the floor of the vestibule

*turd becomes a venerated relic*
its called the Narfex

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
"chase not lest ye be chased yourselves" -- pope Good Boy II

Space Taxi

Purgatory is now "a farm upstate"

byob historian

dog pope sanctifies, desecrates holy water

death sext

alnilam

ty manifisto

Piso Mojado

byob historian

PONTIFEX BONVS EST

the littlest prince

post in this thread every time you lol that the pope is a dog

the littlest prince

the newest pope has chosen the name of Saint Bernard, the patron saint of being a Saint Bernard.

the littlest prince

in a controversial move, the cross-shaped hand gesture has officially been replaced with face licking by Saint Bernard.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
If the pope was a dog, he'd chase the pope mobile rather than riding in it.

cda

by Hand Knit

Barking Gecko posted:

If the pope was a dog, he'd chase the pope mobile rather than riding in it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813147&userid=159477#post470256582

----------------

Android Blues

instead of riding in the car that is driven for the pope containing the pope, the dog if he was a pope would run after it, and chase it, compromising his security in huge ways, leaving him vulnerable to assassination. pretty original insight from me, Android Blues

Android Blues

see, instead of being in the car and being safe, he would be behind the car. and if he was in the car - get this - he'd probably stick his head out of the window

cda

by Hand Knit

Android Blues posted:

see, instead of being in the car and being safe, he would be behind the car. and if he was in the car - get this - he'd probably stick his head out of the window

----------------

Robot Made of Meat

Android Blues posted:

Paging joke_explainer . . .

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Space Taxi

The church is still against gay marriage.

Leg humping: ok

cda

by Hand Knit
in case you're wondering how to "get in" to this thread when so many good jokes have been told about what if the pope was a dog, take this humble suggestion from me: very few posters have yet decided what breed of dog the pope would be, and there are many breed-specific jokes to make, like if the pope was a pitbull vs. if the pope was a chihuaha

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
you might also consider specific famous dogs like Lassie, Old Yeller, or Spuds MacKenzie. or McGruff, who is a detective but there's no law that says that a detective can't be a Pope. Or Scooby Doo. There are many famous dogs that could be Pope, if the Pope was a dog, and I beg you not to think too hard about plausibility. We are all suspending disbelief here so as to engage in gentle japery

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
another vein of humor: a freaky friday situation where the Pope becomes a dog, rather than the a dog being made into Pope.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Pope: I wish I could be like you, Scruffy. Living a life with no worries and no cares, not having to forgive anyone's sins, humping everything that moves.
Scruffy: It's hard being the Pope's dog. He's always traveling and there are a lot of stairs in the Vatican that are hard on my hips. I wish God would show the Pope what it's like to be me.
God: DONE.

----------------

byob historian

what if ron popeil was a dog?

cda

by Hand Knit
VILLAGER #1: Lassie is the Pope now.
VILLAGER #2: That's what I heard. She's the Pope.
VILLAGER #1: I thought Lassie was a boy.
VILLAGER #2: So did the College of Cardinals, apparently, but I looked it up on Wikipedia.
VILLAGER #1: Fail.

[CUT TO: Vatican. A flustered Swiss Guard enters]

SWISS GUARD: Your excellency, Jesus is trapped down a well!
POPE LASSIE: Bark bark bark!
SWISS GUARD: Yes, your excellency, I'll lead you right to him.

[CUT TO: Exterior, WELL. POPE LASSIE and SWISS GUARD are standing next to the well]

SWISS GUARD: Here's the Well. Jesus is inside.
JESUS [muffled]: Help me, Father!
POPE LASSIE: Bark bark?
SWISS GUARD: This well, right here.
POPE LASSIE: Bark?
SWISS GUARD [leans over]: Right in here, in the well.

POPE LASSIE pushes the SWISS GUARD into the well. Cue Wilhelm Scream.

POPE LASSIE: Sorry Jesus, but you're more use to me down a well.
JESUS: My God, my god, why have you forsaken me?
POPE LASSIE: Welcome to Popetown, bitch. This is what it would be like if the Pope was a dog.

----------------

Android Blues

cda posted:

VILLAGER #1: Lassie is the Pope now.
VILLAGER #2: That's what I heard. She's the Pope.
VILLAGER #1: I thought Lassie was a boy.
VILLAGER #2: So did the College of Cardinals, apparently, but I looked it up on Wikipedia.
VILLAGER #1: Fail.

[CUT TO: Vatican. A flustered Swiss Guard enters]

SWISS GUARD: Your excellency, Jesus is trapped down a well!
POPE LASSIE: Bark bark bark!
SWISS GUARD: Yes, your excellency, I'll lead you right to him.

[CUT TO: Exterior, WELL. POPE LASSIE and SWISS GUARD are standing next to the well]

SWISS GUARD: Here's the Well. Jesus is inside.
JESUS [muffled]: Help me, Father!
POPE LASSIE: Bark bark?
SWISS GUARD: This well, right here.
POPE LASSIE: Bark?
SWISS GUARD [leans over]: Right in here, in the well.

POPE LASSIE pushes the SWISS GUARD into the well. Cue Wilhelm Scream.

POPE LASSIE: Sorry Jesus, but you're more use to me down a well.
JESUS: My God, my god, why have you forsaken me?
POPE LASSIE: Welcome to Popetown, bitch. This is what it would be like if the Pope was a dog.

cda

by Hand Knit
Premise: Scooby Doo is the Pope.
Extension of Premise: A Holy Ghost has been spotted in the Holy See, and the Sacred Mystery Gang has to investigate.
Plot points: Msgr. Shaggy gives up sandwiches for Lent, becomes cranky. Fr. Fred is a pedophile (canon), Sr Daphne falls in love with an Austrian widower, Sr Wilma loses her faith during a climatic chase scene and bumbles around committing heresies.
Catchphrase: "I would've gotten away with it, if the Pope hadn't been a dog!"

----------------

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Robert Langdon moved in closer to hear what the dying Dog Pope had to say. He was whispering something, but what? Was it a clue, some revelation into the latest mystery he was chasing? As he leaned in he could hear His Eminence speak- "One. Hundred and... TWO!" he breathed, as his last breath exited his body. What could it mean?

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Twenty Four

He'd drink sacramental wine out of a toilet, just like dog intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

the goddamn pope dog
why would anybody need...that much goddamn faith?

• Locked thread