Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Wichita State gonna vex Kentucky again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Michigan State gonna oust Kansas in the second round.

At least I know the fate now. Feels good to gain some closure.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

Northwestern/Vanderbilt: Battle of the insufferable rich private schools

You say that right as they announce Princeton-Notre Dame.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

K-State will still beat Wake Forest, though. :smith:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Wake Forest / Northwestern championship game, empty-quote if you're down.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

A Kansa/Iowa State sweet 16 match up is too perfect so it's gonna be Michigan State and Purdue who make it to that game.

Stop peeking at my bracket, jerk!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I've had Gregg Marshall pegged for Mizzou for years.

Also, do we need a new GDT thread?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, we'll need one. I think last year we did it by day or by round, can't remember. Might be good for one each day for at least the first weekend.

There's been so few posts about college basketball this year that it might be better one per weekend. I dunno, I put up a tester GDT, we'll see from there.

Competition welcome, of course, but bring your poll game.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

He's super young, but has a bad heart. I'm pretty sure he's stated before that sometimes he worries about the stress from coaching and what it does to him. It's the only reason I think he goes to a front office somewhere, possibly even back at ISU in the athletic department, but more likely in the NBA.

Lemme tell you about this guy named Urban Meyer....

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Martin is a bad coach and he hasn't won anything with two NBA players on the team before, but I'm sure if he brings this one guy to Missouri it will be worth hiring him

Yeah, sounds like a solid enough hire, in that he isn't just, "WELL, HE'S A NATIVE SON," or have a bad history of sanctions.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Your own personal Tom Crean.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

No one likes Steve Alford in the 49 states that are not Indiana, not even if he is the head coach of your team and they're performing well, because everyone knows that a stupid loss to a 14 seed or a spirited defense of a rapist is right around the corner.

which means that he should go to the one state where they'll look past that because he played for Bobby and won some games.

...Texas?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Lol. http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/gregg-marshalls-wife-was-out-of-control-and-definitely-not-a-ksr-fan/

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Alford needs to stop going to schools I like.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

Gregg Marshall tapping into his inner Butch Jones:

“I don’t know, Paul,” Marshall said when asked if this loss would get his team respect. “How many years do we have to do this to make people respect our program? I don’t know. That’s up to you guys. I mean, I know that we have the heart of a champion. I know these guys, how they work, how hard our staff works, how much time, energy, passion we put into this. This will just be more fuel for us.”

Second time in three years these WSU fuckers have talked poo poo before the UK game and ended up heading back home to that fuckhole called Wichita. Enjoy the off season.

I'm glad someone else is with me on the "Gregg Marshall is an rear end in a top hat" wagon.

It really isn't just that he's from Wichita State for me. I just happily cheered for a guy who coached K-State and made my rooting interest's life hell for years because, dammit, he may be a volcano, but he's a good guy who coaches well, but Marshall is the biggest whiny prima donna and his whole, "Pauvre moi, why aren't people in love with us more?" schtick is getting more and more obnoxious the more and more WSU's place in the tourney gets cemented. I think he's falling into this dumb delusion that he's turning the Shockers into the next Duke or something. He very well might never leave.

Also, Lawrence is way better than Lexington, but most of the rest of Kentucky is far more scenic than Kansas, it's true.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

My blood runs cold, my memory has just been sold... my mid-major is a stepping stone.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Nolan Arenado posted:

So it sounds like Wichita State to the AAC is probably going to happen?

The membership timeline for the Missouri Valley is very sad, the teams just slowly and steadily get worse as the decades go on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Valley_Conference#Membership_timeline

Please welcome your newest member of the Big Ten, your Evansville Purple Aces.

Still more competitive than Rutgers.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

Is someone going to open the GDT back up for March Madness?

Getting psyched.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814484

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/845499395739136001

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Kentucky has the absolute worst, most obnoxious and smug fans ever, much worse than Duke, buuuuuut Fox has that Carmelo Anthony/Kemba Walker vibe going on right now that shows him to be unstoppable.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair, I didn't go to school with Duke fans as a kid, so it's probably sample bias.

Really do think my initial impressions of this year that Kentucky was going to win it are going to pan out, though. Never should've been wowed by Villanova as much as I did as the season went on.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

NWA was right, gently caress the police.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I was salty and misspoke, there is truly nothing worse than Duke fans.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Knives Amilli posted:

speaking as a former Kentucky resident, Kentucky fans are the worst and I do believe UL/UK rivalry is more toxic than UNC/Duke.

For starters, UK fans are on the Kobe /Red Sox/Yankees fans level of obnoxiousness . Except even more obsessed because UK basketball is all they have, especially for the rural fanbase.

But theres also a socioeconomic AND racial undertone with the UK/UL rivalry. Im sure you all remember Adolph Rupp had a wonderful reputation for his racial views.

Not to mention, UK fans have nothing but bad things to say about the city of Louisville, calling it a city full of thugs and debauchery (its the most racially diverse city in the state). This is also funny when you consider that Louisville is pretty much the only thing that keeps the state of Kentucky afloat. UK is also seen as the "rich kids" school too so we theres some Duke level elitism as well.

Im a Louisville Alumni so i might just be a tad biased

I think the tiebreaker for me is that, yeah, UK fans are the worst, but have they ever actively rooted for a team that has Grayson Allen or a Plumlee Brother on it? Like, I can't think of a single Wildcat that's been that punchable. Also, jokes about inevitable sanctions aside, Calipari actually cares a lot about his kids and having a fun style, while Coach K is just a huge prick.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad to know that sports commentators are just as dumb for the women's game as they are for men. Parity is such a beautiful thing.

That's a good rendition of Pinball Wizard, imo.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BALL DON'T LIE.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

BALL.

DOESN'T.

LIE.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

"I'm probably the most surprised person in the country," Auriemma said after beating Maryland during the regular season. "I set the schedule up so that [going undefeated] wouldn't happen, and it has happened. I'm flabbergasted to a certain extent."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Praise The Lord, Go Dawgs.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Someone put this in the OP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJQfZKZUax4

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

Perhaps you could take McDonald's All American Carlton Bragg.

Please.

He can be fixed.

I believe.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

what the gently caress

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Do these people know Tubby Smith is black?

Whoa now, Tubby is One Of The Good Ones.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

nvr 4gt

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/882236455178915840

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Least surprising thing ever.

Job at Fox News incoming.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, my school is

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

as a bonus, louisville getting the death penalty and pitino being fired will probably cause the majority of the great commonwealth of kentucky to collapse into a smugness singularity emanating from the general area of bowling green go hilltoppers

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

The NCAA looks particularly impotent and incompetent in this whole thing. The FBI is running things like the NCAA always should have.

Well, the NCAA should PAY THEIR loving ATHLETES, to be fair.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just going to ask what's going through all of you good posters' mind and ask how hosed Kansas is going to be at the end of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

mdsalkdxzmc c:LXmldsmcz>Xmc:LXZmc:LXmcL:XZmcLmcs:ldXZMCCMCLXMJDlsakdmxc.kZMXc.XZmcKXC.,cxm.cdsm

• Locked thread