Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Sad Illinois State didn't make it but that aside the teams in the tournament are probably the right ones. Holy poo poo did they gently caress up the seeding though, in cases like Wichita State I don't even know what they could have been drawing on other than personal hatred of Gregg Marshall or the Kochs (in which case, sure, whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'll admit that I haven't seen UVA play a whole lot this year. Just seems like whenever I do watch them.....they play at a snails pace.

Which is, of course, entirely a separate question from how good they are.

UVA will always be susceptible to big runs by athletic teams, or a hot hand from a streaky shooter; they're probably the only team where "momentum" is actually a thing because their pace makes points more valuable and they're gambling that they can outlast any brief bursts. Generally under Bennett that's proven true.

Their problem this year is lacking the one Mike Scott/ Justin Anderson / Malcolm Brogdon type guy who will take over single-handed when everything's starting to head downhill. Kyle Guy might be that next year if he adds some muscle.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Oh good, UVA's tip time Thursday is almost the exact same time as one of my freshman comp classes. Wonder how many will even show up.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

It is interesting to think where Marshall might go. He's mid-50s so any move is likely to be his last (and has to happen soon), but there's just not that many traditional powers in decent enough shape to afford him that will also have vacancies any time soon.

At the same time I can't imagine him being happy wrecking the Valley year in year out, only to get stuck with another double digit seed.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

It's a bad hire for my team, stay away from our coach you dick.

It's pretty amazing how this has turned around in a year, last season Gopher fans would've driven him to Baton Rouge themselves.

Tygor! posted:

The latest I'm hearing from premium boards is (offers):

Missouri offered Cuonzo Martin 3.5m/yr
Illinois offered Tony Bennett 4.8m/yr

From the above, Missouri is idiotic offering that to Martin who isn't a great coach. Bennett likely won't leave Virgina, even if it doubles his salary but he'll get paid either way. But I'm guessing one of Bennett, Archie, Marshall, or Bryce Drew will coach here for that much.

I don't think Bennett is unbuyable exactly but Illinois probably isn't the job for him. He's definitely not going to make any headway in the Chicago AAU pool. But maybe this is Illinois' last attempt to avoid doing that?

elentar fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 15, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Nate Robinson tho

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

kiimo posted:

Seniors are easy, let me tell you about 7-1 sophomore Balsa Koprivica!

that's an Ikea product name, you can't fool me

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Nolan Arenado posted:

I have vivid memories of all of the somewhat close 16/1 games of my lifetime, I think it probably is the top thing I want to see. Kind of surprising it hasn't happened yet.

I know Georgetown-Princeton gets cited a lot, but the one that's always stuck with me is Western Carolina just not quite getting their shot at the very end against Purdue.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State seems to be interviewing Kevin Keatts now that UNCW is out. I'd have no problem with that hire but don't see a reason to rush it with other potentials still in play.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Hello Towel posted:

I just hope that the administration doesn't settle for Alford or someone like Dane Fife or Randy Wittman just because they're "Indiana Guys." Indiana basketball has its cultural quirks, as all programs do, but it's not like it's impenetrable to someone who didn't play here. A loud contingent of fans wants a guy who does things "the Indiana way" or some stupid poo poo like that, but I think (hope) Fred Glass and the administration are smarter than that.

Google Image Search of "the Indiana way" turns up a book on state history and a whole loving bunch of Mike Pence pics.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Keatts is official at NC State. Seems awful quick but then I guess they've been working on this in the background for more than a month now. Pretty young still, lots of connections in the region and beyond, has a reputation as an elite recruiter. Think it's a pretty good hire, all told. Definitely beats the hell out of the last couple searches.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Chieves posted:

Wait, really? Underwood's a good coach.

Seriously, he was the hot hire last year after turning Stephen F Austin into a powerhouse (and they immediately declined after he left, even if a lot of that is losing a big senior class). And then he turned OSU's season after it looked like it would be a year lost to transition. A bit surprised he'd jump that soon, but he's as likely to succeed as anyone without direct Chicago connections.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

that was some alley oop attempt, Northwestern

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

As much as this season has sucked & still likely ends with the nightmare of another UNC title, the ongoing humiliation of Duke & Grayson Allen in particular has been a great watch.

Remember they were getting called the most talented team ever and shut in the preseason and I guarantee you thus would've been an unavoidable vomit-inducing redemption narrative once they even sniffed the Final Four.

In conclusion, gently caress Duke and thank you Cocks. Now somebody for the love of God beat the Tarheels so the rest of this is enjoyable.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Schadenfreude, get yer schadenfreude.

quote:

Duke’s season ended with a resounding thud on the court, and tears and sniffling in a silent locker room, players staring at a coach trying to remind his team that they did, really, have a season worth remembering fondly. That it’s not a failure just because it’s ending without even so much as a trip to the Sweet 16. That it’s not a magnificent disappointment because this team was ranked No. 1 in the nation to start the season. That it’s not, well, what everyone on the outside will say about them.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

I think that's more of a Deep South thing, tbh.

Most recently also a Northwest and upstate mid-Atlantic (NY/PA) thing. Nowhere without publicly racist shitheads at this point though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Haha, VCU fans freaked out when NC State media and bloggers suggested Will Wade might leave Richmond for Raleigh (and he was a finalist, apparently).

Now Wade has upped sticks for an LSU program in absolute disarray—one that VCU whipped easily this year, in fact. Difference I guess is LSU has every important piece coming back and VCU is facing a rebuilding year next year but it's still hard to imagine Wade couldn't have done better if he weren't desperate to move on to a bigger job.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Korranus posted:

They won't be taken seriously in the AAC either.

That said, the conference does need a 12th basketball school or even an 11th if UConn leaves.

Tulsa made the tournament last year based entirely on getting to play in the AAC against decent teams. They were a seed line or two lower than a 31-4 Wichita team was this year. It's a big boost.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UMass hired Winthrop's coach, that's a good get especially if he can build a staff that knows the Northeast.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kim Jong Il posted:

They'd be an upgrade over Iowa too :hf:

Big Ten is too snobbish about academics (or pretends to be, anyway) to make any swaps.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Three Pitt players have transferred out in three weeks. Stallings was always a weird hire for them, looks to be playing out now.

gvibes posted:

We were, but then we let in Nebraska

Oddly enough, Nebraska is a huge hub for what I do. (Not corn-related in any way.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Virginia? Isn't he a one-and-done?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

He's the best player in the class so yes unless something goes terribly wrong. Why would that stop him from going to UVA?

It's a tough system to pick up. Obviously talent finds a way & you get a player like that on the court if he comes to you, just that Bennett tends to prefer developing players he'll have for 3-5 years.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

do you seriously think the reason they haven't signed a number one prospect yet is because they don't want them

No, of course not. Would just be interesting to see how Bennett goes about it, since it's different from a long-established MO. Almost certainly a moot point though.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UVA's lost three players in two days. Jarrod Reuter's not a big loss and would've done even less going forward, but Marial Shayok and Darius Thompson both saw a lot of time, and would have had a big role as fifth-year seniors next season. As grad transfers they'll be eligible immediately elsewhere, so maybe will transfer down a peg into starting jobs.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Good for Archie, good for Indiana.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Someone, somewhere has the video of this
https://twitter.com/scott_fowler/status/847572403655815168

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

College sports really is a loving farce and nights (seasons, decades) like this show they don't even have to pretend to keep up the facade.

Congrats on working the system, Roy, you po-faced airport-carpet-wearing faux-country jackass. Here's to the rest of a lifetime of no one with the right connections facing consequences of any kind for anything, ever.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Virginia needed a shooter and got one on the grad transfer market from Rutgers, of all places: Nigel Johnson.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kim Jong Il posted:

Not a shooter. He'll be fine as a bench guard but don't expect anything more.

Odd, he's being sold that way and the numbers are decent enough—maybe it's just that UVA was desperate for someone hitting even 36% of their threes toward the end of last season.

Backup guard is fine, though, that's the minutes that transferred out.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Doh

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Peanut President posted:

Real sad to see Wichita go but also funny that they left the Valley for a worse conference.

There's just not enough Evansville to go around. They'll have to make do with ECU.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Who wouldn't want a full 4 or 5 years in East Lansing?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

alpha_destroy posted:

Yea, fuckers waited on my Ph.D. application for four months before rejecting me four days before April 15th. gently caress Maryland.

This at least is not unique to them, grad school admissions is a shitshow everywhere.

elentar fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 13, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Memphis is a total clusterfuck.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

some pretty choice material in the comments section :discourse:

holy poo poo :eyepop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

More, bearing in mind that these are the most liked comments on the article. I actually didn't know the Yahoo comments were this bad, no wonder they hide them under a fold

edit: hmm dunno why that didn't attach, forums themselves possibly recoiling

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 14, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Maverick Rowan is leaving State to try and catch on in a pro league that is not State. Considering that Terry Henderson might not get his 6th-year waiver, and Omer Yurtseven might yet go pro, and Lennard Freeman is probably more of a mascot after his injuries, that doesn't leave much coming back next year from an already bad team.

Keatts did sign point guard Lavar Batts away from VCU, plus that grad transfer from Rutgers, and there's a revolving door of other coaching-carousel casualties and grad transfers in Raleigh right now, so the roster will likely get filled up. But they might need nametags in practice for a while.

elentar fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 14, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kim Jong Il posted:

:confused: we sent one to UVA, that's it. It's pretty early in the Rutgers coaching cycle for another wave of mass transfers.

Yeah, I'm real dumb, I added the UVA one on there. Being horrifically distracted by a mountain of poo poo in actual life doesn't make for good posting, gonna go take care of that other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Cholmondeley posted:

Knox to Kentucky.. I wish him well there.

haha
https://twitter.com/UKCoachCalipari/status/861013944529498112

• Locked thread