Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Their two younger brothers are highly rated and their cousin is the #8 overall player:

quote:

DJ Jeffries

Recruitment: Offers from Kansas, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Wake Forest and Memphis.

His day: Playing for a new squad in Team Penny, Jeffries fit in nicely with a group that is deep and super athletic. He played above the rim, put the ball on the floor some and showed off incredible physical tools.

Quotable: "I haven't thought too much about my recruitment. Maybe at the end of the summer I will have a top list."

Prediction: Jeffries doesn't appear too focused on his recruitment yet but with his kind of talent he looks like one that the bluebloods will fight over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They have had 5 guys transfer so far, with one more expected. They only had 3 guys show up to a mandatory team workout last week. Now Markel Crawford tells ESPN he will use Graduate Transfer rule to play for another school.

At this point I think goons should just walk on.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Then again, gently caress Maryland.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/PeopleofMemphis...emphis.58195%2F

"this is what we do when we leave Tubby. gently caress Tubby."

:munch:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I just posted that ha

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Counterpoint: gently caress everything Wichita-related

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Early returns on the question of whether Brad Underwood can recruit Illinois are coming back positive.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dwight Coleby is transferring out of KU.

http://www.kuathletics.com/news/2017/5/15/mens-basketball-ku-grad-dwight-coleby-elects-to-transfer.aspx

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Svyatoslav Mikhailiyuk is coming back to Kansas per his instagram.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We went through this when Indiana had an opening and it was laughable then and that was when it was Indiana and Boston wasn't about to get Fultz.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Available for jokes:

drive to the hoop
kick the tires
ball handling
dribble drive
fast brake
wheel offense
turnover
pick and roll

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well that will get you uninvited to Thanksgiving

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cross-posting. This can't be good for recruiting can it?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Peppering in a few 4* would actually help his program be more successful in the tournament in my opinion.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't say his postseason record was bad, just that it could be better with a few more upperclassmen. It's a scary concept.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Winning championships is hard, we've all said that a lot. Winning championships with a lot of super talented freshmen is in my opinion harder and the ADavis team is looking like it is proving the outlier more than the norm.

I would never say that Kentucky should have won more than one championship with all that talent because like I said winning championships is hard. It is my personal belief that the more successful alchemy of a championship winning team has elements of both super talented freshmen and upperclassmen anchors.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The thing about choking is that both my alma mater and girlfriend are super into it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If he does reclassify he is virtually guaranteed to jump ahead of Porter as the #1 recruit.

As for Duke...probably.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/marvin-bagley-iii-3389

http://www.scout.com/player/193060-marvin-bagley/analysis?year=2017

http://247sports.com/Player/Marvin-Bagley-76765

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203733/marvin-bagley-iii

quote:

Strengths:
Bagley has emerged as one of if not the best high school prospect in the game. At 6'11 with multi-dimensional skills and blessed elite athletic ability he impacts the game on both ends of the floor. His soft shooting touch, scoring instincts and ball handing ability make him unique at his size. He is comfortable to knock down a face up jumper to the arc and operates best from the high post or along the baseline. His ability to attack with fluidness and length is hard for opposing big men to stop. He will go into the low post and utilize his jump hook or settle in to the mid-post and back down or face up smaller defenders and shoot over them. He is running the floor with more effort and his long strides with speed are impressive. His activity on the glass and how he alters and or blocks shots have been evident. He has taken his talent from potential to production but the scary thing is there is still plenty of upside in his ability.

Weaknesses:
Bagley has eliminated some of the talk of disappearing at times during the game and losing his assertiveness. It's important to note he must keep his drive for improvement and not be satisfied with his status. He must guard his heart and mind in regards to becoming bored with the game as happens with some of the gifted athletes. As long as he displays teachable spirit to grow his game and make others better he will always be a game changer. He also needs to add strength which will enhance his offensive finish game, post-up game and overall defensive productivity. He must develop and keep an edge on the court that make the great players the best.

Bottom Line:
His size, length and versatility is the way the NBA game is being played. What would make him reach his enormous potential and project out as a one of the best we have seen in a decade would be his continued work ethic and attention to defensive details. With effort he should record a double-double and flirt with a triple-double each game because he is that good. A remarkable set of skills and scoring instincts at a young age who is now starting to grow into his body.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Of course these rankings change hilariously based on questionable motives. Like a four star will pick North Carolina and then the next ranking update comes around and oh hey wouldn't you know it that player is now a five star because basically a lot of these bigger programs evaluate talent better than an online journalist.

The ESPN ranking system is a little different than Scout or Rivals, they evaluate talent based on how they will perform as an NBA player as opposed to a college player. As an NBA fan that may be the one you want to pay the most attention to.

And of course they could all be wrong about a player, like Cliff Alexander. In that case stick to what MourningView thinks, he can sniff out the turds better than most.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watching Kansas destroy an Italian team, Udoka dunked so hard he was given a warning and screwed up the goal. They had to fix it. He's going to break a backboard this year guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/mctait/status/892793254676230144/video/1

https://twitter.com/JayhawkVideo/status/892796388362383361

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 2, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

congrats MU fans.

KU trying to keep up news-wise as Mitchell Robinson is visiting this weekend but he's never going to get a waiver so it's kind of pointless. Look for him in Australia or Greece this season.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well here's a new wrinkle...

Apparently Mitchell Robinson's enrollment paperwork is not processed even though he attended some summer school classes. I guess the Dean could just deny enrollment automatically making Robinson a decommit instead of a transfer.

That Dean is...former KU vice chancellor Tim Caboni.

If KU somehow lands this guy they will trot out two NBA-caliber 7-footers this year. Their guards playing without a big scored 118 against the Italian all stars last week.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Khagan posted:

I'm from outside the states can somebody explain this joke?

Rick Pitino testified he cheated on his wife with some floozie in a restaurant and came down his leg in 15 seconds.

Truth is stranger than fiction

edit: also UL sounds super hosed but as a fan of an Adidas school I'm certainly not gloating. I'm scared shitless.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you somehow involve Nike in this as well basically all of college basketball save the handful of Under Armour teams go down with it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But they used to be an Adidas school a couple years ago.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Twitter is abuzz that Pitino could be out as early as tomorrow.

edit: ASM Sports clients...

http://www.asmsports.com/asm-family

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 26, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

fire Underwood, hire pitino illini

Bruce Weber is roused from his afternoon cat nap and squeaks out a "wait what was that"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawil...2ac626eb67.html

quote:

Wildcats assistant Book Richardson facing up to 60 years in prison in bribery scandal

60 years!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

All the same I'm sure he's thinking uh can I have the NCAA investigate this instead?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

http://www.nikeeyb.com/teams/

I have heard of some of these teams, California Supreme for sure. I'm not into the recruiting thing deep enough to know who is in cahoots with these teams though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The NCAA looks particularly impotent and incompetent in this whole thing. The FBI is running things like the NCAA always should have.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder how much would change if the NCAA funneled all the money back into the colleges in equal share to pay players?

I've been listening to bernie too much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

Also there was a nugget that I somehow didn't know in the Pitino that in his adultery/mistress extortion case- Pitino sent a university-employed aid to get the woman an abortion, and the aid and the woman ended up falling in love and getting married after the abortion. Why isn't there a Lifetime movie about this already?

I was about to start listing basketball movies with puns about abortions but I got as far as Scoop Dreams before I questioned what I’m doing with my life right now

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also tax fraud

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hiring a kid's dad is the exhaust port on the Death Star.

It shouldn't be there. Who thought that was a good idea? You bet your rear end I'm going to use it though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ah yes Dick his mistake was hiring some bad seeds who steered him wrong.

Speaking of bad seed how did Vitale explain away the hookers and leg cum

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You should probably read the article, there is no new information.

quote:

The presence of documents responsive to the Kansan’s request, filed on Sept. 27, does not necessarily implicate the University in wrongdoing, but appears to contradict what Kansas Athletics officials said after the scandal broke.

The Kansan asked for “all documents and communications within this investigation related to the University of Kansas and any of its sponsorship deals with Adidas or any investigation of Kansas basketball coaches.”

When a sophomore rings up the FBI and requests all information relating to Kansas and gets the response

quote:

“The records responsive to your request are law enforcement records; there is a pending or prospective law enforcement proceeding relevant to these responsive records, and release of the information in these responsive records could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings

You don't write "Breaking News" unless of course you're a journalism student working for a student newspaper.

quote:

Later in the letter, FBI Section Chief David M. Hardy states, “This is a standard notification that is given to all our requesters and should not be taken as an indication that excluded records do, or do not, exist.”

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If I call up the FBI and ask them to provide documentation about their investigation into MCC Penn Valley basketball program their response will be

"“The records responsive to your request are law enforcement records; there is a pending or prospective law enforcement proceeding relevant to these responsive records, and release of the information in these responsive records could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings"

But Kansas is definitely guilty of something. Just what it is or if it will ever get uncovered will have to wait for another day. So just keep hanging on, Missouri. Some day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They're plugs!

:argh:

• Locked thread