Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

After the absolute tradgedy that was Star Fox: Adventures, Nintendo realized that following one of the best rail shooters on the N64 with a bad Ocarina of Time clone was not the smartest move. To create the next game, they decided to (attempt to) distance themselves from it by having it developed by Namco instead of RareWare, a good choice given their experience with Ace Combat.

Unfortunately, multiple elements from Adventures stuck around for some reason. Ground combat is now used as filler between the 4 Arwing-only missions. The initial trailer for Star Fox: Armada shown at E3 2004 was actually booed by the audience, and subsequently retooled into Assault, which much of the fun of the previous two games restored. Sadly, it didn't do well enough for Nintendo to continue the franchise on the Wii, but I think it's still enjoyable enough to stand on its' own as a good game.

Assault technically follows continuity with Star Fox 64. But, since neither game is particularly plot-heavy, nor do they explain much if anything, you don't really need to have seen the previous games to understand Assault.

END ME SCOOB will be joining me as the person who has never played or seen a Star Fox game.

Episode #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_W-HGTVUA
Episode #2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-VDtdR9VYo
Episode #3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_msE18yCg_8
Episode #4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ek5aoduizM
Episode #5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlmzQgdCk08
Episode #6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe-aDp0UUPU

Lore Entry 1: Team Star Fox
Lore Entry 2: A brief history of the Lylat Wars

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Lore Entry 1 - Team Star Fox

Fox McCloud

The leader of the Star Fox Team, Fox is a top-notch pilot and (supposedly) a good authority figure. He reassembled the Star Fox team after his father, James, died(?) at the hands of Andross some time before Star Fox 64. His ability to keep a cool head and push the Arwing to its' limits has kept him alive through three (technically four if you count the finished-but-not-released Star Fox 2) invasions of the Lylat System.

Fox was also instrumental in the liberation of Dinosaur Planet in Star Fox Adventures. With the Great Fox and Arwings stripped of nonessential parts to pay for basic supplies, he had to learn to use the magic available on Dinosaur Planet in order to find and eventually defeat General Scales, who had taken over the planet with superior military strategy provided to him by A not-quite-dead Andross. Somehow, the stone-age inhabitants of Dinosaur planet were able to give the Star Fox Team enough money to massively upgrade the Arwings and Great Fox in time for the Lylat System to be invaded by a new species.

Falco Lombardi

Falco is the team's best pilot and acts as backup for Fox. He has exceptional skill in piloting (except when the game decrees he should have enemies behind him...), and in general will bail Fox out of tricky situations. He is arrogant and emotional, but doesn't let this get in the way of the mission, and always has a trick up his sleeve when the going gets tough.

Slippy Toad

The second most prominent character of the series (somehow), Slippy is also the most annoying. He was flying alongside Fox for several years before the Andross invasions, yet possesses the least piloting skill on the team. His main gift is engineering and inventing - he created the Arwings, The Landmaster, a submarine, and all of the team's weapons. His father works as the research director for the Cornerian military.

Krystal

Known mainly for causing an explosion in the internet furry population, Krystal is a very strange character in Star Fox. She comes from a planet outside of the Lylat System and has magic powers, which are not present in any other character. How Krystal arrived in Lylat is unknown. She eventually found her way to Dinosaur Planet by sensing a distress signal with her telepathic powers, where she tried to reclaim the six ancient spirits to keep the planet from exploding, but ended up being captured by Andross She was saved by Fox and, for reasons nobody is really sure of, was accepted into the Star Fox Team as the fourth pilot.

Peppy Hare

The oldest member of the Star Fox Team, Peppy flew alongside James McCloud before Fox assumed command. He is a seasoned veteran and figures out how to defeat enemies quickly. He retired from flying after Star Fox 64, and disappeared by the time of Star Fox Adventures, but returned to take the roll of commanding officer of the Star Fox Team by time of Assault.

ROB

A robot that controls the Great Fox. He is directly wired into the ship's systems and can control the entire ship by himself, acting as the crew's interface with the ship. He was, however, able to leave the ship and enter an escape pod.

Vehicles

Arwing

The Arwing is the single most advanced fighter craft in the Lylat system. Only the Wolfen ships piloted by Star Wolf even come close to the performance. Outfitted with a field-upgradable laser system, a bomb bay with room for up to ten smart bombs, physics-defying maneuverablity with the G-Diffuser engine system, and a nearly invulnerable shield activated by barrel rolling, the Arwing makes short work of any enemy Star Fox encounters.

Landmaster

An all-terrain tank used for assaulting ground targets. The landmaster uses the same G-Diffuser system as the Arwing, enabling it to hover, boost, and perform the same barrel roll as the Arwing. It swaps the upgradable laser system for a more powerful but slower laser cannon.

Great Fox

The mobile command center for the Star Fox Team. It was commisioned by James McCloud after taking out an 80-year loan to pay for it. Three high-performance engines allow it to warp between planets, and the main cannons can pulverize large space stations easily. The Star Fox Team are supposedly still paying off the loan for it by the events of Assault.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun game. Honestly, my only real complaint is that the single-player doesn't have enough content. Only one path, and it's about as long as a single playthrough of Starfox 64.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think this was when I realized Star Fox is Nintendo's Sonic, and not just because of the furries

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Christ, this game wants to be Xenosaga in its design department sooooo bad...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I think this was when I realized Star Fox is Nintendo's Sonic, and not just because of the furries
Well, mostly because of that. But also the fact that they had a good thing with Star Fox and Star Fox 64 and just haven't bothered to make a worthwhile entry since.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

nine-gear crow posted:

Christ, this game wants to be Xenosaga in its design department sooooo bad...

Well, it is by 2000s-era Namco. There's potentially some shared staff.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

get that OUT of my face posted:

Well, mostly because of that. But also the fact that they had a good thing with Star Fox and Star Fox 64 and just haven't bothered to make a worthwhile entry since.

Also at some point they both decided that what the series needed was more emphasis on non-interactive plot scenes rather than frantic, kinetic gameplay that people actually like.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
The hunt for Pigma begins in this week's update of Star Fox: Assault.

Episode 3:https://youtu.be/_msE18yCg_8
Episode 4:https://youtu.be/8ek5aoduizM

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Small nitpick: Krystal is not from Sauria. Her backstory in Adventure's manual states she's from a planet called Cerinia, a planet outside the Lylat system which was reportedly destroyed by an unknown disaster of which she is the only survivor.

This is never referenced in any way in either Adventures or Assault. The only vaguest hint they give to any sort of backstory of hers that pre-dates Adventures is that she seems to recognize Andross at the start of the game before we learn he's involved. Possibly means he was involved in Cerinia's destruction? Who knows. Krystal was completely wasted as a character.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, at the time we recorded commentary, I had not even completed Adventures, and never had enough interest in Krystal to actually look her up before doing the Team Bios for this thread. Kinda saying something when a main character is not interesting enough for a fan of the series to know the correct backstory of.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

No wonder Star Fox's overhead is so high.
http://i.imgur.com/gTeMlNY.gifv

Fox threw a perfectly functional set of space binoculars over his shoulder on that ice planet. Does he just buy a new pair after each mission?

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Fox referring to Pigma at the end there maybe? He was on James McClouds Star Fox team before betraying them. It is a bit of out of no where though so, yeah not sure. The only reason I thought of it is as he says the line the shot pans up to space and cuts to Piggy.

Game seems abit.... 'eh' to me, but enjoying the LP. Your 2 contrasting commentarys in regard to the familiarity of the series working well here.

Also having played to much Sonic growing up, I keep thing you're missing a tail on the model when you're on foot.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is Leon voiced by Zorak from Space Ghost: Coast to Coast? His intro in that first vid sounds exactly like him.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is Leon voiced by Zorak from Space Ghost: Coast to Coast? His intro in that first vid sounds exactly like him.

No, because that was the loving fantastic (late) C. Martin Croker. He was a Williams Street animator who just had a great gift for voices.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Lore Entry 2: A brief history of the Lylat Wars

Dr. Andross was once a peaceful and well-respected scientist working on Corneria. His work consisted of a bizzare combination of bio-technology and spacial warping. After decades of peace in Lylat, Andross slowly came to have a desire for authority and a disregard for public safety. Eventually, Andross' experiments led to an explosion in Corneria city, causing General Pepper to exile Andross to the penal world of Venom.

Five years later, unusual activity coming from Venom prompted Pepper to send the Star Fox tream, then consisting of James McCloud, Peppy Hare, and Pigma Dengar to investigate. Unfortunately, Pigma betrayed the team on Venom, with only Peppy escaping in a badly-damaged Arwing. Soon after, The vast majority of inhabited planets in Lylat were invaded by a gigantic military force and overwhelmed, with Corneria the last to be attacked.

Fortunately, by this time James' son, Fox, had formed a new Star Fox team with Falco Lombardi, Slippy Toad, and the surviving Peppy. Their intervention saved Corneria from being occupied, and they moved on through the various planets, space stations, and fleet actions, liberating all of them until they finally broke through Venom's rear defenses. Fox elected to challenge Andross alone to avenge his father.

After defeating Andross' mechanical body, Fox discovered that Andross used his mastery of biotechnology to transform himself into a gigantic brain with telekinetic powers. Fox defeated this form as well, which caused the structure he was in to begin self-destructing. He barely made it out alive with the assistance of his supposedly dead father. With Andross defeated, General Pepper extended an invitation to the Star Fox team to join the Cornerian military, but the group declined and raced off as soon as the Great Fox was ready, leaving Pepper with a "steep bill". Peppy retired from flying at this point, and Falco would eventually leave the team to persue his own interests.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Also, in double-checking that lore entry, I came across this image, which I had managed to forget existed. It was also somehow non-canon even before Star Fox Zero came out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Isn't that from the star fox tactical strategy game that has like sixteen separate endings, and it starts off with Krystal having left Star Fox for Star Wolf and/or Panther?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kurieg posted:

star fox tactical strategy game

Wait, WHAT?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_Command

quote:

Star Fox Command has two types of single-player gameplay: a strategic map mode, and a battle mode. The overworld-like map mode is where the player takes command of several ships. This mode is used to get ships into the battle mode and is essentially a simple turn-based strategy game. Up to four ships can be maneuvered at a time. The object of this mode is to prevent enemy ships from reaching the Great Fox. This mode also allows players to fire missiles from the Great Fox that they have picked up from exploring in this mode, or from meeting certain conditions in the battle mode (usually destroying all enemies). When a craft that is controlled by the player encounters an enemy group or missile in this mode, the gameplay switches to the battle mode.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Holy poo poo, so it wasn't just R-Type that did this.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Star Fox Command is... unpopular among the fanbase for a few reasons. The multiple endings (many of them being really, really dumb) are among them. poo poo, in one of them Fox and Falco decide "screw this" and go off to be F-Zero racers. Or "G-Zero".

And in what I feel is a bit of a pattern with Star Fox games, Peppy is once again made the most interesting by virtue of getting more info about him, having become the new Cornerian General to replace Pepper, and us getting some new revelations about his family in the form of his daughter and his late wife.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm sorry, how the hell is a game where these people leave their doomed franchise for the better one the black sheep?! Star Fox fans seem like masochists.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm sorry, how the hell is a game where these people leave their doomed franchise for the better one the black sheep?! Star Fox fans seem like masochists.

Because that's one of the joke endings. Most of the other 8 revolve entirely around helping Fox get his bone on with Krystal again.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I think Star Fox Command actually has more "in-Arwing" combat than Assault does, strangely enough. The gameplay is interesting and has its good points. How enjoyable it is comes down to how much you can deal with the silly plot and the control scheme where you use the DS stylus to fly everyone's ships.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rujasu posted:

I think Star Fox Command actually has more "in-Arwing" combat than Assault does, strangely enough. The gameplay is interesting and has its good points. How enjoyable it is comes down to how much you can deal with the silly plot and the control scheme where you use the DS stylus to fly everyone's ships.

Actually the entire game is Arwing combat. Only thing is, the game is entirely in all-range mode and you have a time limit in battle for some reason (also barrel rolling is now not only more required than ever but actually uses up some of your boost meter as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 20, 2017

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Command is pretty strange on all levels. I bought it on launch day and had a lot of fun with it, but the janky-rear end controls did get on my nerves after a while. I only ever unlocked the first ending so i can't really comment on those, but it wasn't a terrible game or anything, just too quirky to be considered unconditionally good. Kind of like Assault.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Let's murder a pig and save nonexistant dinosaurs in this week's update of Star Fox: Assault!

Episode 5:https://youtu.be/KlmzQgdCk08
Episode 6:https://youtu.be/fe-aDp0UUPU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

RyuHimora posted:

Let's murder a pig and save nonexistant dinosaurs in this week's update of Star Fox: Assault!

Episode 5:https://youtu.be/KlmzQgdCk08
Episode 6:https://youtu.be/fe-aDp0UUPU

Those videos both say they're unavailable.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
Somehow, the "Turn Public" button instead changed them to private. Both videos should now be available

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
The Aparoid Invasion continues in this week's update of Star Fox: Assault! This is the video that dates when we recorded audio, so please ignore the temporal issues presented.

Episode 7 https://youtu.be/LbA63r-P4r0

Episode 8 https://youtu.be/eTA8Jse52kk

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 1, 2017

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
i Really like Assault as a kid, now its more like Nostalgia tinted glasses, but i still think its alright.

although seeing it again, shortly after having watched an Adventures LP, the Graphics really seem like a Huge step down, maybe that's my Imagination, but the fur especially looks jarringly bad compared to Rare's version.

anyway, i always loved the Star Fox franchise and hope that we will get another title. dont know how good Zero did sales wise.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kasrkin posted:

dont know how good Zero did sales wise.

It's a WiiU exclusive title that came out in 2016. I would say six digit sales is a kind estimate.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's a WiiU exclusive title that came out in 2016. I would say six digit sales is a kind estimate.

Welp, didn't thought of it like that.
i would say, there goes the Franchise, but as you mentioned, it pretty much already went the way of the dodo after Adventures.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The fact that you were *forced* to use the motion controls is mostly what killed it. It's otherwise a fairly solid game from what I've heard.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I didn't have access to a Wii U long enough to complete Zero, but yes, it's a game on par with Star Fox 64 ruined entirely by the mandatory motion controls. I eventually found a means to power through it, but I don't know if that would have gotten me through the whole game.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
We conclude the game with frustration and questionable biology in the final update of Star Fox: Assault!

Episode 9 https://youtu.be/T4ojh9Ynlh4
Episode 10 https://youtu.be/C4Wp5Dy03xY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
My general assumption on the "James" thing is that she got it from Pepper and Pigma's memory. If you look, there are signs that they were just starting to get to work on Peppy, but it didn't get very far.

• Locked thread